Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Endor was the Empire's Nam.

Empire's Dien Bien Phu

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

Thats good news, I thought that had ended up cancelled tbh

It got stuck in development hell and the first anyone heard about it for almost a decade was last year.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think battlefront 3 was the one stuck then eventually canceled when they shuttered Lucas arts. Star Wars being sold to Disney I think revitalized everything

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah Lucasarts poo poo the bed for a long while. The last good game in the Star Wars license was what? 2005? I guess The Old Republic MMO was OK, but it's also an MMO so gently caress that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

YESSSSSS!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The Mentalizer posted:

Tatooine... poo poo; I'm still only on Tatooine... every time I think I'm gonna wake up back on the Endor.

When I was home after my first tour, it was worse.

I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the forest. I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute those furry little bastards squat in the bush, they get stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter.

I was going to do a word for word rewrite of Black Hawk Down titled X Wing Down. I would've made millions of dollars.

At liftoff, Dash Fyaar reached out to the Force. He was curled into a seat between two shuttle crew chiefs, the knees of his long legs up to his shoulders. Before him, jammed on both sides of the Lamda Class shuttle, was his "chalk" 12 young men in armor over tan desert camouflage fatigues.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

That line is bullshit because what's he implying did it then? The Empire? Yeah those are dudes known for being accurate, sure. Meanwhile Kenobi has been at a podrace where sand people shot at them for fun and actually hit things.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

That line is bullshit because what's he implying did it then? The Empire? Yeah those are dudes known for being accurate, sure. Meanwhile Kenobi has been at a podrace where sand people shot at them for fun and actually hit things.

Lightsabers can't melt plasteel beams.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Light Gun Man posted:

Nah Kenobi had to stay on the ship like an rear end in a top hat because he was an rear end in a top hat.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wanted to buy this so loving badly, but it was $55.

Publishing date was November 1976 (6 months before the first movie came out for you non-supernerds). TBH when my tax return comes in I may go back and buy it.

"wikipedia posted:

Differences from the film
There are several portions of the novel that deviate from the film, such as scenes that were filmed but not included in the final cut of the movie. Most notable are scenes with Luke Skywalker and his friends at Tosche Station on Tatooine. Various small details, such as the callsigns used by the Rebels in the Death Star assault, are different (e.g. Luke is "Blue Five" instead of "Red Five").

At one point, Han Solo mentions a Corellian friend named Toccnepil (Lippincot backwards). This is a reference to Charles Lippincott, the mastermind of the Star Wars marketing campaign. "Droid" is spelled with an apostrophe in the front, as the term was used as a contraction of the word "android". The references to Rebels are listed as rebels. The Imperial Stormtroopers board the Tantive IV through the ceiling rather than blasting apart a door. The callsign of the stormtroopers guarding the Millennium Falcon is THX-1138 as opposed to TK-421 in the film. The destruction of Alderaan is not described in the book, nor does Obi-Wan sense the planet's destruction.

The prologue says that after Emperor Palpatine rose to power, he was "controlled" by the "boot-lickers he had appointed to high office", implying that he is merely a victim of manipulation by Imperial bureaucrats rather than the true string puller. However, all subsequent media sources revise this, so that he is in fact the true commanding force behind the Galactic Empire.

The death of Obi-Wan Kenobi is different in the book in that Darth Vader succeeds in defeating him during their lightsaber duel, while in the film Obi-Wan allows Vader to strike him down, in order to provide Luke and the others a diversion to escape the Death Star. The novel refers to Darth Vader as a Sith Lord. Although he was referred to as this in various merchandising tie-ins at the time of the original film, he is not referenced as such in the movie. In fact, the term Sith Lord is not actually mentioned in the films until the first prequel, 1999's Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

In the film the order of events in the final dogfight over the Death Star is also somewhat different. In the novel, Blue Leader makes two bombing runs down the trench toward the exhaust port. In the film, he only manages to make one before being shot down. In the film, Wedge's X-Wing is damaged by Darth Vader and his wingmen, thus forcing him to leave the battle since he can't stay with Luke, and then Biggs is killed outright by the pursuing Darth Vader and his fighters. In the novelization, Biggs is killed first by his ship being destroyed, and then Wedge must retreat due to a malfunction caused in the battle with the enemy fighters.

e: on 2nd look the same 1st edition goes for like :10bux: on eBay so meh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Written by "George Lucas" (actually by perennial novelization author Alan Dean Foster.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Written by "George Lucas" (actually by perennial novelization author Alan Dean Foster.)

Which means it's probably at least a half-decent read instead of a festering shitpile

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Which means it's probably at least a half-decent read instead of a festering shitpile

Judging by the writing on the first half of the page there, it's the latter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Which means it's probably at least a half-decent read instead of a festering shitpile," he essayed with a wan smile, speaking derisively.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

"Which means it's probably at least a half-decent read instead of a festering shitpile," he essayed with a sardonic grin.

ftfy

red polo shirts
Jan 16, 2015

What is the in-universe explanation for Carrie Fisher's coke nail?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

If it ends up literally being Apocalypse Now set in Star Wars then I will officially forgive the prequels, EU and everything else. Bonus points considering Apocalypse Now was originally supposed to be directed by George until he dropped out.

I actually want a found-footage film of George Lucas and John Milius going out to film Apocalypse Now in Vietnam in 1968 as they had planned when graduating from USC-LA (which would likely have them dropped in the middle of the Tet Offensive) and the whole thing ends as a mash-up of both films with John wielding a flaming napalm-covered sword at hordes of Viet-Cong and shooting down helicopters with a M16 in the other while George films it.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

red polo shirts posted:

She picked up the habit while at Jabba's palace.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

red polo shirts posted:

The citizens of Alderaan were known for their use of a stimulant found in the planet's lush forests, known as Kibosh. Once processed, it formed a crystalline green (!) powder that was often inhaled through the nostrils (link to Wookiepedia page on noses). Kibosh was legal on Alderaan, but was still treated as a minor vice. Users were often spotted with an abnormally long fingernail used for scooping the fine powder. It never found much of a user base outside of the system, due to other planets not having the lax laws Alderaan had concerning the substance, so after the destruction of Alderaan, Kibosh is assumed to be an eradicated, or at least extremely rare substance.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

shiksa posted:

The citizens of Alderaan were known for their use of a stimulant found in the planet's lush forests, known as Kibosh. Once processed, it formed a crystalline green (!) powder that was often inhaled through the nostrils (link to Wookiepedia page on noses). Kibosh was legal on Alderaan, but was still treated as a minor vice. Users were often spotted with an abnormally long fingernail used for scooping the fine powder. It never found much of a user base outside of the system, due to other planets not having the lax laws Alderaan had concerning the substance, so after the destruction of Alderaan, Kibosh is assumed to be an eradicated, or at least extremely rare substance.

this is eerily good

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

david... posted:

this is eerily good

It beautifully illustrates how low effort everything in the EU actually is.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

david... posted:

this is eerily good

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

david... posted:

this is eerily good

turns out that moss picture was actually a kibosh plant

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Needs a quotation from Jho D'Vola, "I'm gonna put the Kibosh on you."

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The best part of the novel is how kinda gruesome blaster fights are. People's helmets break apart in a splatter of blood and bone and poo poo.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Young Freud posted:

I actually want a found-footage film of George Lucas and John Milius going out to film Apocalypse Now in Vietnam in 1968 as they had planned when graduating from USC-LA (which would likely have them dropped in the middle of the Tet Offensive) and the whole thing ends as a mash-up of both films with John wielding a flaming napalm-covered sword at hordes of Viet-Cong and shooting down helicopters with a M16 in the other while George films it.

this post ended up getting me to rewatch apocalypse now

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

shiksa posted:

Actually thought this was real.

Also the kibosh are force sensitive that drew in the death star's laser as it would ensure Darth Vader would complete his prophecy to balance the force.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Cyberball 2072 posted:

LIKE A MYNOCK WITH ITS TAIL ON FIRE!!!!!
How would a mynock's tail be on fire when they live in vacuum

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Elukka posted:

How would a mynock's tail be on fire when they live in vacuum

furthermore how would a creature that lives in a vacuum not like implode or explode when it was no longer in a vacuum

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Plasma fire Id guess

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Hingehead posted:

Actually thought this was real.

Also the kibosh are force sensitive that drew in the death star's laser as it would ensure Darth Vader would complete his prophecy to balance the force.

this forced me to remember the retcon of "the main laser guy in the death star who was going to fire on yavin 4 was actually having an attack of conscience and if he hadn't not pressed the button for a good thirty seconds after getting the order the moon would have been blown up anyways"

so gently caress you for that, i guess

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
thats not as bad as captain needa being a rebel sympathizer

E:

ugh. its already bad

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

thats not as bad as captain needa being a rebel sympathizer

What. loving EU is the dumbest poo poo goddamn.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
needa has a first cousin and the dancing head tail girl somehow warranted an impersonator

also captain needa is in the episode 3 novel

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 23, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I Needa the Pizza

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Coruscant's lower levels are abandoned and polluted, it's basically fallout down there with actually ogres http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coruscani_ogre There is some grisly stuff in that article though. "An operation needed to lobotimize an ogre and implant them with cybernetics was less expensive when compared to purchasing a new droid."

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Coruscant's lower levels are abandoned and polluted, it's basically fallout down there with actually ogres http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coruscani_ogre There is some grisly stuff in that article though. "An operation needed to lobotimize an ogre and implant them with cybernetics was less expensive when compared to purchasing a new droid."

thats actually p badass

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
did they ever really do anything with those lower coruscant levels aside from the time that the solo babies got lost down there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

quote:

Jaina Solo: "We are lost."
Jacen Solo: "Please help us find our home."
Ogre: "No. Gonna eat you!"
―The Solo twins encounter a Coruscani ogre

High literature right there.

• Locked thread