Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just double looped and got to 5-3 again with horror, which is the best I've ever done. Discovered the heavy auto crossbow and ultra grenade launcher which I never knew existed and my god the ultra grenade launcher is ridiculous. It pulls enemies in and does a lot of damage on contact before making an explosion many times the size of the normal grenade launcher's. Combined with that, a lightning cannon, and horror's ultra ability that makes portals appear early, I had levels ending before I'd gotten away from the screen where I started.

I also found that horror's ability makes you instantly win the pizza sewers and crown vaults. You just get in there, everything falls down dead, the police come in and instantly die, portal :laffo:

edit: I don't know what changes were made to the other bosses but big bandit's change seems to be that there's 1 more for every loop you're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Big Bandit is the only changed loop boss so far.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

-Big Dog has no changes
-Lil' Fucker gets double speed on loop, probably glitched on loops after that
-Throne gets 1000 more HP each loop instead of 200 :effort:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

-Lil' Fucker gets double speed on loop, probably glitched on loops after that [includes projectile speed]

ftfy

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I know this thread is mostly played out, but I'm still playing, and I'm getting really tired of the loving portal black hole effect robbing you of upgrades. It's a massive gently caress you to the player, completely unavoidable, and seems to be there for no other reason than to artificially make the game harder.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think it's played out, just in a slow phase

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

When you say robbing you of upgrades you mean it sucks you in before you get to the chest or the rad canister right? It's really not a big deal in my opinion, it's pretty darn simple to either not kill the last guy immediately or not be near its body when the last enemy dies. It's part of being Pro.

edit: and here's me at Peak Dodging. It was mostly luck I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C2AGRli5pw&hd=1

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 15, 2015

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I mean if you get screwed out of a rad canister or weapon crate cause of a portal they at least make it up to you by giving you a large rad can/the chance of a large weapon chest.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Last Wish shouldn't 'take up' a mutation. If you choose it while leveling it should reset your level , if you choose it from the crown you should be able to pick the crown once more. Keep the picture, call it long term thinking.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I think it has a fine niche. I sometimes take it on my last level before hitting the throne on a speedrun attempt. I'm often skipping ammo crates and sometimes it doesn't give me the option of picking the good ammo traits like recycle gland or throne butt on steroids. Kinda nice if you've got back muscle and 2 good weapons but low ammo in the lab or later too.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I think the Big Dog changes have really changed up Oasis runs in a really fun and hard way. Now that you go directly from 1-1 to Oasis to Big Dog's lap, you only get two weapon chests and likely 1 mutation before you have to take on Big Dog immediately. It's hard as hell, but I've been trying it lately with Robot, because Robot in 3-3 with all of his mutations ahead of him sounds like it could be a force to be reckoned with. You can get some really fancy weapons really early on in a run and just pick your mutations based on that

It's super hard, but it's fun. You basically have to get a good enough weapon on 1-1 to kill Big Bandit before the time limit, and then hope you get a good enough weapon (and a lot of ammo) in Oasis to kill Big Dog.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Play steroids, double revolver is totally valid going into 4-1. If you get a slugger or xbow the chance that you get 2 is very high because it seems that steroids has a very high chance to get repeat weapon chests on 1-1 and oasis, and then you're good until labs.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I still love Crown of Blood but Big Dog is now really drat hard because a bad spawn location can put you at the center of ravens, robots, and a wall of slow bullets. It's honestly made me appreciate Hammerhead a lot more since I can dig out a crawlspace if that happens.

Can't stop though, hitting Level Ultra by the place right after the Frozen City is an addiction I can't quit (died last time with Robot because I picked up a Super Slugger and thought that I could ignore my ammo issues with regurgitate and throne butt. Fun fact : you can't)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In a fit of boredom until Bloodborne comes out, I just purchased this on steam. Pretty much knowing almost nothing about it other than Goons like it.

Any newbie advice or things I should be aware of? :)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
worry more about survival than getting every last pickup

try to keep upgrading your loadout, because the pistol won't be very helpful past a certain point, and neither will a shotgun or a wrench

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Go slow, unless you're better at going fast. Then go fast.

All mutations are good, but some are better than others. I can't think of too many times I wouldn't take a rabbit paw.

Good beginner charcters: robot, crystal, steroids. Gotta learn ammo management with steroids though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

quadrophrenic posted:

Go slow, unless you're better at going fast. Then go fast.

All mutations are good, but some are better than others. I can't think of too many times I wouldn't take a rabbit paw.

Good beginner charcters: robot, crystal, steroids. Gotta learn ammo management with steroids though.

Rabbit paw is actually great though

Lucky shot is pretty bad though, ignore it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Feenix posted:

In a fit of boredom until Bloodborne comes out, I just purchased this on steam. Pretty much knowing almost nothing about it other than Goons like it.

Any newbie advice or things I should be aware of? :)

Shoot everything, except things that you smash with a hammer. Enjoy!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for all the tips, guys :)

Bummer, no gamepad support yet, eh?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Feenix posted:

Thanks for all the tips, guys :)

Bummer, no gamepad support yet, eh?

Press G on the main menu to switch to gamepad controls

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Oh no poo poo? I saw an option in Settings but it said next to it it didn't work. Cool, thanks!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Rabbit paw is actually great though

...Exactly

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sadly the 360 Wired Controller does not seem to work with the Mac version of Nuclear Throne. Oh well, I suppose one day it will.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I've been playing exclusively as Rebel and I like to spawn the max number of guys every level. It's surprisingly effective if you get a few med kits or rabbit paw.

And Rebel's throne butt... :getin:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One day I will make it to level 10 as Rebel, and it will be glorious.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/games/nuclearthrone/announcements/detail/222139993057217179

quote:

Features
Updated in-game logo by the legendary Paul Veer, known for the art of games such as Nuclear Throne.
Heavy Assault Rifle.
Characters now have new tips when reaching Level Ultra. We also added/changed some tips for Steroids, Y.V. and Rebel.
You can now quick-select mutations using the digits.
Improved Big Dog on loop with some fun new tech.
Lil' Hunter spawn faster on loops.
Made Golden Scorpions less rare the further you loop!

Balancing
Big change to Rebel: Allies now cost more, the more you have of them. Cost starts at 1HP, and improves by 1 for each 2 Allies, capping at a cost of 4. The Ultra that spawns Allies when taking damage sticks to this as well, so gives you double Allies when used now! This probably still needs some balancing.
Melting now always gets big explosions from larger enemies, even without Throne Butt.
Melting's Throne Butt is now a bit weaker than it used to be, but it's still ridiculously powerful!
Melting's Ultra that blows up low HP enemies no longer makes those enemies spawn corpses.
Blood Hammer is now a lot more interesting...
Splinter weapons now deal a bit more damage.
Lowered the rate of fire on the Auto Grenade Shotgun and Gatling Bazooka. These weapons should now be more usable, with a bit of caution of course. Gatling Bazooka has been made more accurate as well.
Party's over, Crown of Blood now makes all enemies drop one less rad.
Labs spawns more empty space around you.
Necromancers wait a bit longer before doing stuff after spawn.
We buffed Lucky Shot a bit more, we're going to keep doing this until it's ridiculously OP and people start noticing it!
Hyper Rifle now shoots 5 bullet bursts instead.
Heavy Slugger damage has been increased even more.

Fixes
Fixed the notorious infinite water boost for Fish.
Big Dog no longer spawns awake.
Fixed the IDPD grenade error.
Fixed Sharp Teeth rapidly phasing Ravens and Lil Hunter in and out of The 11th Dimension.
Underwater Mines no longer spawn next to you.
The random character and crown option are no longer seeded.
Fixed a collision problem with IDPD grenades, potentially nerfing them a bit.
Fixed the Lightning Hammer icon, again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Labs spawns more empty space around you.

I am both pleased and displeased by this news. It's always funny when you spawn into a lab level only to have 10,000 of those exploding plant things spill out of a 1x1 hallway at you like a swarm of bats out of hell.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Game sucks now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Took a trip to YV's mansion to check out the new guns and ended up with a heavy assault rifle. As a late game weapon it (like many bullet weapons) is a good utility/clean up weapon to compliment some hungrier, slower, or just more specific weapon. compared to the heavy revolver and heavy machine gun it has better burst damage but makes it harder not to waste ammo. So yeah, just a big boy version of the the regular assault rifle. I like it, it looks cool and feels very satisfying (like all heavy bullet weapons).

I'm also kind of glad for an excuse to quit playing crown of blood all the time. It definitely made me a better player but I'm ready for something more...sedate.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 22, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Slime posted:

Game sucks now.

Confirmed trash

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Super splinter gun is really good now. Big dog dropped one for me as YV and it carried me the entire game.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Slime posted:

Game sucks now.

lmfao if you play crown of blood for the EXP and not massacring entire armies of yetis :unsmigghh:

I don't like that they can't make up their mind on whether or not Rebel should suck or not. The latest change to followers is really, really bad and the bleedout is still a problem. It wouldn't also be so bad if the game kept track on how much HP you spent on followers in a level and replenish your HP based on that.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 22, 2015

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Vlambeer posted:

Fixed Sharp Teeth rapidly phasing Ravens and Lil Hunter in and out of The 11th Dimension.
This is lies, sharp teeth still reliably soft locks your game.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I don't like that they can't make up their mind on whether or not Rebel should suck or not. The latest change to followers is really, really bad and the bleedout is still a problem. It wouldn't also be so bad if the game kept track on how much HP you spent on followers in a level and replenish your HP based on that.
Yeah Rebel feels way less fun to play now; basically only being able to spawn allies when over 4 health feels so clunky, especially when you're at low health, get a health pickup or proc bloodlust, and still can't spawn allies. I can understand thinking Rebel was too good, but both nerfing her strength *and* toning down the risk-reward element only disincentivizes someone from choosing her. Maybe the changes will make more sense when allies are able to yield additional weapon types?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They massively reduced the difficulty of the loop. What the pants-making GBS threads gently caress. This is the wrong way to balance your game when your less seasoned players are finding the game too hard and quitting while the upper tier players are complaining about the game being too easy. On top of Rebel being loving useless due to the lovely bleedout mechanic on followers, this is a terrible update overall.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Did they buff the snipers in the scrapyard? I don't remember their bullets traveling so fast.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Not sure about the snipers, but regular bandits and birdmen seem to fire more frequently now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

Update #66 - Yung Update - March 27th

Features

The work in progress Blood Cannon.
The HUD icons are now sorted in the order you got them.

Balancing

Ammo, Health and Portal Strike pickups now fade faster on loops. This'll be interesting. [come the gently caress on]
Rebel's first Ally now costs 1HP, any additional ones cost 2HP.
Snow Tanks now wait a bit before exploding.
The Throne beam now angles slightly towards you, something we wanted to give a quick try.
Big Dog missiles are meaner on loops.
Blood Hammer deals more damage.
More IDPD now chases Rogue when her portal opens. [why are we nerfing the worst character]

Fixes

Fixed the Sharp Teeth thing. We hope. Fingers crossed.
The Rad Canister in the HUD now has an outline when you get your Ultra Mutation and haven't picked it yet.
Open Mind chests now count towards big weapon chests, as do gold weapon chests. [a good improvement but probably still not worth it]

Misc

Art for the Heavy Auto Crossbow and Heavy Assault Rifle!
Patience now becomes a clock under the mutation you pick with it, instead of taking a whole icon slot.
Hyper Rifle shakes the screen a bit less.

I've been trying out the crown of destiny with horror. It's pretty interesting, you basically get to start with one of your favorite mutations but from then on out you're on your own. I thought I could also circumvent most of the levels going to a choice of just 2 mutations by taking the first portal statue and picking another crown, but it seems like if you do that, your next levelup goes by without giving you a mutation. Kind of ruins the point if so, but I'm not sure that actually happened, I need to pay more attention.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 29, 2015

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've been trying out the crown of destiny with horror. It's pretty interesting, you basically get to start with one of your favorite mutations but from then on out you're on your own. I thought I could also circumvent most of the levels going to a choice of just 2 mutations by taking the first portal statue and picking another crown, but it seems like if you do that, your next levelup goes by without giving you a mutation. Kind of ruins the point if so, but I'm not sure that actually happened, I need to pay more attention.

That might be related to the fact that if you pick a second crown of destiny it doesn't give you an additional mutation.

quote:

Snow Tanks now wait a bit before exploding.

This is really nice if you're using shell or melee weapons, but my muscle memory keeps trying to run me into the explosions.

quote:

Fixed the Sharp Teeth thing. We hope. Fingers crossed.

Still broken on little hunter.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Re Crowns, afaik you only get their bonus as long as you have that crown. e.g. if you had the crown of blood and replaced it with the crown of explosions, you'd go back to the normal spawn rate. It makes sense that you don't get an additional bonus for the crown of destiny when it's removed.

I've been playing with Plant recently, I'm finding the vine growths really useful especially for blocking jerks who do contact damage. No more insta deaths in the sewer because a loving rat decided to bounce between me and a wall. So far I've reached the throne more than with other chars, still have to defeat the fucker though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Well at least they restored Rebel to a somewhat playable state and with Second Stomach you can still snowball to a massive army of dudes.

• Locked thread