Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Literally The Worst posted:

Guys I'm launching a patreon site but with a twist: I want you to fund me to not produce content. Fund me to spare the world my awful bullshit. Do it, or it's on your heads.

What funding level do you need to not post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

What funding level do you need to not post?

Hundred bucks a day.

I'm not even joking, if some assholes raise a hundred bucks I will not post for 24 hours from the time I am made aware of it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

You a busta, The Serpent & The Rainbow owns. It's not as good as Nightmare, because nothing can top Nightmare's first death scene, but it fixes Nightmare's main problem by not placing the best scene so early. There's such a wild energy to the movies that manages to be fast-paced and out-there, but not out of control. drat good pacing and really clever set design/usage in both movies, I especially loved the scene near the end of Serpent where Allen is falling down the top of the stairs. I think I might just go ahead and watch The People Under The Stairs right now, because I really have to see a movie featuring Ed and Nadine Hurley in bondage gear weilding shotguns.

Literally The Worst posted:

Guys I'm launching a patreon site but with a twist: I want you to fund me to not produce content. Fund me to spare the world my awful bullshit. Do it, or it's on your heads.

Sorry, SA's own Dr. David Thorpe beat you to it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well I can no longer say I haven't read an E/N thread I guess...
But I won't be doing that again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

\Sorry, SA's own Dr. David Thorpe beat you to it.

This is ongoing though, patreon is like monthly/weekly donations to support an ~artist~

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's really weird seeing a young George Clooney play Roseanne's boss on Roseanne.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

It's really weird seeing a young George Clooney play Roseanne's boss on Roseanne.

The first time I saw him on that show I refused to believe it was him.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like the story Roseanne tells about hanging out in a parking lot with Clooney to smash a bug chocolate #1 the network had got her for having the #1 show (for context her male counterparts were rewarded with things like cars when they managed a similar achievement).

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

axleblaze posted:

I like the story Roseanne tells about hanging out in a parking lot with Clooney to smash a bug chocolate #1 the network had got her for having the #1 show (for context her male counterparts were rewarded with things like cars when they managed a similar achievement).

I wrote a whole paper in undergrad about Roseanne and the issues of female authorship (liberal arts are fun) and the whole history of how she was treated by the network is pretty hosed up.

Also if the presence of George Clooney surprises you, wait until you find out Joss Whedon wrote for the show in the first few seasons

dreadnought fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 21, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

dreadnought posted:

I wrote a whole paper in undergrad about Roseanne and the issues of female authorship (liberal arts are fun) and the whole history of how she was treated by the network is pretty hosed up.

I read that one article she wrote a couple years ago, does she have a book where she talks about it, because it's an interesting (if messed up) story.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dreadnought posted:

Also if the presence of George Clooney surprises you, wait until you find out Joss Whedon wrote for the show in the first few seasons

So did Mark Rosewater, who later went on to be the Head Designer for the Magic; The Gathering, trading card - game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

dreadnought posted:

That's not super surprising, the dude also wrote Toy Story, and I think an early draft of Speed. He's a decent writer when he has an editor. The Clooney thing is weird because it's a mostly ordinary looking cast, then boom, George Clooney.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Skwirl posted:

That's not super surprising, the dude also wrote Toy Story, and I think an early draft of Speed. He's a decent writer when he has an editor. The Clooney thing is weird because it's a mostly ordinary looking cast, then boom, George Clooney.

Hey, hot people exist in real life, too. I mean, look at the cast of Roseanne. Ordinary, ordinary, then boom, George Clooney.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ugh, Earth to Echo is shite. I'd say it's a simulation of what something written by an autistic child would be like, but that might be insulting to autistic children.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 21, 2015

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought it was aight. For some reason it was playing in 4:3 on Netflix for me, though.

edit: Reminds me of an earlier-age Super 8.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Chappie is so loving good. Even on a second viewing it's strong as hell.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I liked it enough, but what really surprised me was that I thought Sharlto Copley was easily the strongest thing about it. Really didn't expect him to give the movie as much oomph as he did.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I thought it was aight. For some reason it was playing in 4:3 on Netflix for me, though.

It won't shut up. There is literally no point where characters stop talking for more than five seconds. And it's all pointless garbage dialogue.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I want to see it again, but I want to see it again when it comes out on Blu-Ray so I can watch the making-of features right after it. Especially if they have Die Antwoord in them. God, I need that in my life so bad :allears:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Chappie is already out of the theater in my town :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Chappie is already out of the theater in my town :(
The gently caress?! It only came out like 2 weeks ago! Is it really doing that poorly at the box office? :negative:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Steve McQueen will be directing an HBO show as his next project. All 6 episodes.

I hope its a sequel to Bullitt

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Chappie and Earth to Echo are both good, though Chappie is obviously leaps and bounds better. It's pretty much Blomkamp's masterpiece.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

zVxTeflon posted:

I hope its a sequel to Bullitt

Ughhhhhh

That would be cool though right?!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I keep missing chances to go see Chappie, and if one more person tells me that it sucks and then admits they haven't seen it when I ask why, I'll probably slap them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

FishBulb posted:

That would be cool though right?!

duh

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm watching Tank Girl. I respect Malcolm McDowell's willingness to take any part, no matter how lovely the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So, I finally finished a rough cut of my short film made up of old educational films (and other public domain films)... and Viacom immediately had it blocked on YouTube. It looks like it's been unblocked, but the footage Viacom was claiming rights to was the footage from The ABC of Sex Education for Trainables. A sex ed film produced by Planned Parenthood intended for educators to teach to the mentally challenged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZe81K6PpQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

So, I finally finished a rough cut of my short film made up of old educational films (and other public domain films)... and Viacom immediately had it blocked on YouTube. It looks like it's been unblocked, but the footage Viacom was claiming rights to was the footage from The ABC of Sex Education for Trainables. A sex ed film produced by Planned Parenthood intended for educators to teach to the mentally challenged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZe81K6PpQ

They're probably just trying to protect their IP for the upcoming blockbuster reboot trilogy, in theaters 2017.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

I'm watching Tank Girl. I respect Malcolm McDowell's willingness to take any part, no matter how lovely the movie.

But Tank Girl fuckin owns?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Tank Girl is approximately half of a good movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The People Under the Stairs is really good. Craven fully realizes his movies as the horror/comedy mixture they are, but it does hurt in some points, with some awkward slapstick in place of genuine horror. Still, I gotta love the dude's imagination and how all-out he went with it, and he can set up Chekov's Gun like a motherfucker.

Egbert Souse posted:

It won't shut up. There is literally no point where characters stop talking for more than five seconds. And it's all pointless garbage dialogue.

I'll defend it by saying that's the point, because the whole thing is supposed to be one long Youtube video. I can definitely see how it would grate on people, and I won't defend it that much, but I found the "Youtube personality" aspect of it charming.

You still a busta for saying non-Nightmare Craven isn't worth watching.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

I forget which actor was asked about why he has appeared in so many Not Perfect movies along with so many Great ones, and responded with "When you're an architect, and someone gives you blueprints for a lovely house, you don't say "that's a lovely house, I won't build it", you build them their lovely house, as best you can. You have a job, you do your job." But I think McDowell has that attitude; he wants to be working, he consistently gets work, it pays, who cares if it's Any Good.
Tank Girl is loving boss though and I will fight you IRL. It was the last good comic book movie, before Hollywood mistakenly thought they should start taking Cartoons For Children Where Everyone Seems To Have Magic Powers seriously.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Quad posted:

I forget which actor was asked about why he has appeared in so many Not Perfect movies along with so many Great ones, and responded with "When you're an architect, and someone gives you blueprints for a lovely house, you don't say "that's a lovely house, I won't build it", you build them their lovely house, as best you can. You have a job, you do your job." But I think McDowell has that attitude; he wants to be working, he consistently gets work, it pays, who cares if it's Any Good.
Tank Girl is loving boss though and I will fight you IRL. It was the last good comic book movie, before Hollywood mistakenly thought they should start taking Cartoons For Children Where Everyone Seems To Have Magic Powers seriously.

You tryin ta get cut, talking poo poo about Blade?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
That Max Landis video got me watching a lot of old WWE stuff on youtube and man I had forgotten how much I loved Kurt Angle. Like, he's the primo example of a professional wrestler who could never act in movies but has an amazing stage presence, he just totally owns his character (which 90% of the time is a hilariously classic heel)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ynohtna posted:

Oooh, mind sharing these Etsy seller links?

Sure.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/paroliro?ref=s2-header-shopname

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Bongenre?ref=s2-header-shopname

I searched for vintage silk scarves.

My wife subsequently bought some for herself.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/wringyourneck?ref=s2-header-shopname

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LoveItShop?ref=s2-header-shopname

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slice of local life: Earlier tonight at the New Orleans international airport, a guy in his 60s bumrushed a TSA checkpoint, spraying insecticide on both passengers and officers and also wielding a machete. Then he got shot down by the cops. Now he's in the hospital and in "unresponsive" condition.

:black101:

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Slice of local life: Earlier tonight at the New Orleans international airport, a guy in his 60s bumrushed a TSA checkpoint, spraying insecticide on both passengers and officers and also wielding a machete. Then he got shot down by the cops. Now he's in the hospital and in "unresponsive" condition.

Were you there for this? Because holy poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

SALT CURES HAM wanted for questioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skywalker OG posted:

Were you there for this? Because holy poo poo.
I was not, but I saw friends of friends who work at the airport posting poo poo about it and it was all over the news. I think I saw that there were Instagram videos of it too but I haven't watched those yet.

Still, that's pretty nuts. I live like 15 minutes away from that airport and usually it doesn't see any crazy action like this. But I guess somebody had to step up to the plate and stir some poo poo up there.

e: Here's a choice quote from a news article about it:

quote:

He said he saw a TSA agent with an injury to her arm. "It was not something you expect in an airport, and I've traveled a lot," Tucker said.
:haw:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 21, 2015

• Locked thread