Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They don't go after the hundreds of convention artists selling direct copies of famous covers. It's an homage and I'm fairly certain there are actual laws protecting him in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
From what I can tell that is not a homage.

A homage has to reference a picture, not copy it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

From what I can tell that is not a homage.

A homage has to reference a picture, not copy it.

He didn't trace it, it's not an exact copy. Like I said, go to any major convention and you'll see 100 booths in artist alley where this happens. Now if he was selling prints of the actual art he'd get in trouble. But no, this is his take on a controversial art piece drawn on a book designed to be drawn on. He's fine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well my point is it isn't an homage.

Same reason just redrawing the Actions Comics #1 isn't a homage. Its just a copy. Hell its not even in a distinctive style its produced in the exact same way.

Though yeah they won't do anything about it, because that is an unspoken thing that is allowed, even if it has always existed on a relatively shaky legal ground.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well my point is it isn't an homage.

Same reason just redrawing the Actions Comics #1 isn't a homage. Its just a copy. Hell its not even in a distinctive style its produced in the exact same way.

Though yeah they won't do anything about it, because that is an unspoken thing that is allowed, even if it has always existed on a relatively shaky legal ground.

Martin Nodell was selling reproductions of covers he drew on the original Green Lantern at conventions back in the day. DC told him to stop and he proved he was homaging himself and kept on selling them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The bottom line is that right now it's one rear end in a top hat selling one cover, and literally the stupidest thing DC can do is give him mainstream attention.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Martin Nodell was selling reproductions of covers he drew on the original Green Lantern at conventions back in the day. DC told him to stop and he proved he was homaging himself and kept on selling them.

Jesus Christ that is just dumb.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Marvel responds to Wimberly's Lighten Up comic.

quote:

Alonso: In his Nib cartoon, Ron posed a question, "Is this racist?", casting a shadow over his editor and, by extension, Marvel. Here's what happened: The issue in question was "Wolverine and the X-Men" #10, a jam book that featured 8 different artists -- 14, if you include colorists -- one of whom was Ron Wimberly. The editor simply asked Ron to match the skin-tone that had been established for the character -- Melita Garner, a Latina -- on previous pages. She would have done the same if Ron had made Melita's skin too light.

To suggest that the editor or Marvel was uncomfortable with the character having dark or darker skin flies in the face of who we are and our history. Just last night, Sana Amanat, Marvel's Director of Content & Character development appeared on Comedy Central's "The Nightly Show" to speak about the growing diversity of our publishing efforts. We are the home to Storm, the Black Panther, Miles Morales [Ultimate Spider-Man], Sam Wilson [the All-New Captain America], Robbie Reyes [the All-New Ghost Rider] and Kamala Khan [Ms. Marvel], and our ethnically diverse staff of editors spans the color chart Ron cites in his Nib cartoon. I am Mexican-American, so that makes me #caa468.

Wimberly responds by asking artists if the big two ever told them darken up.

Aside from that response completely missing the point then going "hey, look at how diverse we are!" it's also really stupid because the "established" skin color was ignored by literally every other artist.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Convention sketches and the like are still in a sort of grey area. Doing reproductions of your own art is one thing, but DC and Marvel have usually turned a blind eye to the legal issues with sketch art because sketches are an important source of income for many artists... because, frankly, a lot of artists aren't paid what they're worth by comic companies. :(

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I kinda don't want to perpetuate this anymore, but this is hitting a next level.

Not even a tiny "after Albuquerque" caption, which shows how much these morons actually care about artists and their rights

Connor Willumsen shared a story in response to Wimberly's piece, this one reminded me of the stuff from This Film Is Not Yet Rated https://thenib.com/penetrating-rule-b49becdbf706

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

al-azad posted:

Aside from that response completely missing the point then going "hey, look at how diverse we are!" it's also really stupid because the "established" skin color was ignored by literally every other artist.
It's interesting going back and reading that issue because his Melita is definitely darker and incongruous to everybody else's - and while she does match the swatch given him in the rest of the book, so do ostensibly white people and even Storm.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

al-azad posted:

You see, some of Marvel's best friends are...

Here's Connor Willumsen's piece on when was doing a MAX Wolverine book where Marvel were worried people would get the idea that Wolverine may have been having anal sex with a woman.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 21, 2015

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just think: There's an alternate universe out there where the filming of MI:2 wasn't delayed and we all associate the role of Wolverine with Scottish actor Dougray Scott.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

You see, some of Marvel's best friends are...

Here's Connor Willumsen's piece on when was doing a MAX Wolverine book where Marvel were worried people would get the idea that Wolverine may have been having anal sex with a woman.

The last page is sublime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So hey now that the apology's been published the only thing I'm wondering about the Sims/D'Orazio thing is: Apparently he started harassing her in the first place because she wrote a Punisher story he thought was awful. So has anybody here read it and is it in fact bad? Just curious.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

So hey now that the apology's been published the only thing I'm wondering about the Sims/D'Orazio thing is: Apparently he started harassing her in the first place because she wrote a Punisher story he thought was awful. So has anybody here read it and is it in fact bad? Just curious.

I think the beloved page with Punisher posing as a little girl on the Internet is from it.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Croatoan posted:

Just think: There's an alternate universe out there where the filming of MI:2 wasn't delayed and we all associate the role of Wolverine with Scottish actor Dougray Scott.

Is it the same universe with Tom Cruise-Tony Stark and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa-Mandarin?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

I think the beloved page with Punisher posing as a little girl on the Internet is from it.

nah, that was from the Girl Comics anthology marvel put out iirc. could be the same author, though.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!
^^ Yes, same author.

TwoPair posted:

Yes, it's really that bad and no it didn't start it, it probably ended it. Their fight started two perhaps three years before that.

fatherboxx posted:

That's from one issue of "Girl Comics". efb

hwordhan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 21, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Is it the same universe with Tom Cruise-Tony Stark and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa-Mandarin?

With Emily Blunt-Black Widow, John Krasinski-Captain America and Alexander Skarsgård-Thor.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 22, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wouldn't call that story bad, it's just really bland and predictable. Then again I think Punisher is one of the most bland and predictable characters in Marvel's lineup so I'm a little biased.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

With Emily Blunt-Black Widow, John Krasinski-Captain America and Alexander Skarsgård-Thor.

The real question is who the hell plays Hulk in that universe.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Ed Norton.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Most of those rumours were post Norton Hulk, so probably him, the others at least post Bana, so likely one of those two.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

hwordhan posted:

Yes, it's really that bad and no it didn't start it, it probably ended it. Their fight started two perhaps three years before that.

Oh okay. D'Orazio talked a lot about the Punisher in her Twitter rant so I thought it was the origin point, but I guess that the Punisher thing was just a particularly sore spot. Thanks for the info though.

al-azad posted:

Then again I think Punisher is one of the most bland and predictable characters in Marvel's lineup so I'm a little biased.

[deadpool_mocking_punisher.jpg]

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Aphrodite posted:

And would we rather live in that universe, or the Wizard Magazine Casting Call universe?

The one with Howie Long playing Captain America and Glenn Danzig as Wolverine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Most of those rumours were post Norton Hulk, so probably him, the others at least post Bana, so likely one of those two.

But does the casting butterfly make those movies any less crappy failures that lead to recasting?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

al-azad posted:

I wouldn't call that story bad, it's just really bland and predictable. Then again I think Punisher is one of the most bland and predictable characters in Marvel's lineup so I'm a little biased.

punisher is in that story for like two pages

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

And would we rather live in that universe, or the Wizard Magazine Casting Call universe?

As long as we don't live in the fan casting universe where everyone is wrestlers or 30 years too old to play the role.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Big Van Vader as Juggernaut would have been AWESOME.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Lurdiak posted:

As long as we don't live in the fan casting universe where everyone is wrestlers or 30 years too old to play the role.

The fan casting universe just puts people who were in FIREFLY in everything.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I don't really know who Glenn Danzig is, but googling him, he looks like he could play closer to the original concept of "hairy, uncharasmatic troll man".

Don't get me wrong, Hugh Jackman is awesome, but his portrayal also always rubbed me the wrong way. The need to beutify and clean up a character to bring them closer to sociatal ideals in adaptions pisses me off. But ignoring it's an adaption and Wolverine is just some action movie star character, it's a good portrayal.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I don't really know who Glenn Danzig is, but googling him, he looks like he could play closer to the original concept of "hairy, uncharasmatic troll man".

Don't get me wrong, Hugh Jackman is awesome, but his portrayal also always rubbed me the wrong way. The need to beutify and clean up a character to bring them closer to sociatal ideals in adaptions pisses me off. But ignoring it's an adaption and Wolverine is just some action movie star character, it's a good portrayal.

He has been like that in the comics for decades

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

He has been like that in the comics for decades

Mostly since the first movie. Even after he got more popular, he usually wasn't presented as nearly attractive and sanatized until Hugh Jackman played him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It was more of an Ultimate Wolverine thing than a 616 Wolverine thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Mostly since the first movie. Even after he got more popular, he usually wasn't presented as nearly attractive and sanatized until Hugh Jackman played him.

When Wolverine relaunched under Greg Rucka and Darick Robertson they were told to alter his look and make him "more Jackmany" after the first few issues.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

When Wolverine relaunched under Greg Rucka and Darick Robertson they were told to alter his look and make him "more Jackmany" after the first few issues.

Exactly. Who needs more characters with supermodel physieques? It sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Exactly. Who needs more characters with supermodel physieques? It sucks.

I forgot to say that their version of the character was really beastly, more of an animalistic look. With the films being the big hot thing Marvel wanted a handsome Wolverine in all the comics. I wonder if he'll be taller when they resurrect him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I forgot to say that their version of the character was really beastly, more of an animalistic look. With the films being the big hot thing Marvel wanted a handsome Wolverine in all the comics. I wonder if he'll be taller when they resurrect him.

Yeah, I got you. Beastly and animalistic is how Wolverine should look. And not in a sexy way, like werewolves in trashy books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's worth pointing out that another key difference between Glenn Danzig and Hugh Jackman is that Jackman was already a professional actor when he was cast, and Danzig was and is not.

• Locked thread