Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

I like how the rare is significantly less likely to be constructed playable than the commons. That's the way to do it, really. I'm glad they aren't giving a special alt art Thunderbreak Regent or something as a diceroll price, that would piss off so many people.

The fact that the special alt art Thunderbreak Regent is the Game Day prize leads me to believe they probably intentionally made the dice promos just fun cards rather than stuff with a chance to see constructed play.

Edit:

This guy being bigger than a Jeskai monastery suggests to me that he should be bigger than a 4/4. I also never noticed he's doing a really silly pose like a Welsh Corgi jumping into a lake.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I keep wanting to call it "Thunderbeak".

Sigma-X posted:

I miss when the pre-release promo was a multi-format all-star with alt art and foil.

Gone are the days of getting a Wurmcoil Engine or Emrakul just for showing up.

Angry Grimace posted:

The fact that the special alt art Thunderbreak Regent is the Game Day prize leads me to believe they probably intentionally made the dice promos just fun cards rather than stuff with a chance to see constructed play.
I like them trying to make the re-release a more casual event. It's when all the kids and casual players excited for the new cards come out to the shop, and the less excuse the hardcore players have for being goony the better.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Come to think of it the other gameday promo is another entry in the "selfie with a dragon" series.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Come to think of it the other gameday promo is another entry in the "selfie with a dragon" series.

"Come on Tom look at the Camera!"

"No way, selfies are dumb"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Nothing will ever beat the Ojutai's Command Selfie Stick one.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Dromokan Selfie Stick 1
Artifact - Equipment
equip 0
Equipped creature has "T: Put a token that's a copy of this creature into exile."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Basically nothing good other than fun alt-arts.

Dragon Fodder is good tho

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Dragon Fodder is good tho

Too bad the only good Dragon Fodder art is the Alara one :colbert:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I quite like the Dragona promo one.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Am I the only person who thinks the art has basically gone to poo poo in Dragons? KTK was nothing special, but at least it wasn't this.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Promos' arts are often hit or miss in my opinion.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I wouldn't be surprised if they commission art without knowing which will be the promo and pick the better one for the set since more people will see it. People who want to be different will value promos for their own sake.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Could someone clarify Butcher's Glee, can both abilities trigger or is it one or the other?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Corte posted:

Could someone clarify Butcher's Glee, can both abilities trigger or is it one or the other?

All happens at once. It gets the power bonus, lifelink and a regeneration shield once the spell resolves. Your opponent can still use a spell to kill it while Glee is on the stack however.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Back from the pre-release here in Australia. Did the Midnight into the 5.30 am one.

My midnight pool was an Atarka pack which contained a Citadel Siege, Anafenza, a whole pile of good white cards and some great red. I ended up building RWu splashing Pristine Skywise off an Evolving Wilds + Tranquil Cove. I then proceeded to win every game I drew Citadel Siege in and lose most of my others, going even overall. Turns out Dragonlord Dromoka is fundamentally unbeatable without a spell that just straight up kills it with no conditions - none of this "destroy target attacking or blocking creature" nonsense, and it gains too much life to race on any reasonable board state.

My 5.30 am pool was Dromoka with my only on-colour rare being the promo Command. I basically had a pile of incredibly good commons and uncommons and got matched up against decks that couldn't handle good efficient morph-based curves. The Aerie Bowmasters are even better than they look, and they look amazing. The 0/0 for G with a +1/+1 counter on it is remarkably playable, as is the common Megamorph that gives another creature a +1/+1 counter. Dromoka's Command really carried they day on multiple occasions, though. It's such an efficiently positioned and designed card.

If Draft is anything like the experiences I was having with my second pool (which it probably won't be), Dragons is going to be incredible in spite of its bomb-heavy appearance. If it's like my first one it's going to be a less-poo poo Avacyn (although significantly less poo poo at least).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Corte posted:

"Regenerate" means "the next time this would die this turn, instead remove all damage from it, tap it, and remove it from combat".

It's funny that they put reminder text for Lifelink but not for regenerate, which is the far more complicated ability.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

"Regenerate" means "the next time this would die this turn, instead remove all damage from it, tap it, and remove it from combat".

It's funny that they put reminder text for Lifelink but not for regenerate, which is the far more complicated ability.

I think it's just a space issue where it makes a simple card look like it has lots of text.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fun trick: When your Thrun, the Last Troll that got blocked by Abu Ja'far is about to die to Abu's ability, you can save Thrun by regenerating hitting him with a removal spell to remove Thrun from combat. This probably hasn't been relevant in a game of Magic since the nineties, but it's there.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Played my first modern tournament tonight. I am now a convert and will be playing it over standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Forced into aggro by a really bad pool and just got annihilated. Gotta say I'm a little conerned by the number of people who said "I opened no dragons and got annihilated."

Then again it's Sealed which is kind of a silly pack wars format where it's no fun if don't open anything interesting.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 21, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Opened a RG pool with terrible G other than that one fight and 2 nottuko vigilantes. Looked at my black, played BRg. Got to play my promo once. Atarka is a sassy lass, I'll give her that.

Crushed a rather angry fellow round 1, played against Sarkhan two games in round 2 won both games, paired down round 3 and my sober stoner opponent gave up midway through game 2. Split round 4, took 2 prize packs and thirty credit.

Swift Warkite is such the card. Muckraking back Swift Warkite is a dream of such card advantage we should all yearn for. Did not get to Coat an Efreet with venom, very disappointed. I was really impressed with the 4/2 for 3R that gets first strike though, he's better than I thought he was gonna be. I also really didn't feel like people played nearly as many morphs.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I had a fun time, went 2-1 and split, won the friendly game we had after splitting. Played two different decks and won a game with both but the one I built and had more fun with was the BR with a slick curve, focused on dash creatures with the abilities that aid them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sotar posted:

Played my first modern tournament tonight. I am now a convert and will be playing it over standard.

Haven't you heard, Modern sucks and no one loves it

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Went GW Bolster. Splashed Red for Fire, because holy crap they printed Fire at common... Also had in the 4/2 first strike trampler, and Dragon Fodder.
White has a lot of good coommons and uncommons (Mistfire Kirin is very nice)
The new green fight spell is very good.

The two combat tricks that give 1/2 creatures you control +2/+2 and trample at instant speed are also very good. Better than Overrun usually.
Dromoka's command is the best by a lot... WG for hunt the weak at instant speed is disgusting...

went 8-1/4-0.

Collected Company was Always dissapointing. My deck was as built for it as a draft deck could be...

EDIT: Just noticed clone legion is not "a copy of each attacking creature" Like I assumed from the art. It turns out to be a decent EDH card I guess. Disappointing as a mythic though.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 21, 2015

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Went R/W with a green splash for Yasova and the uncommon RG dragon. With an Elite Scaleguard in my FRF pack I ended up sweeping.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Built a bomby Grixis midrange, lost my first three games to my opponents drawing removal for all my bombs, said 'gently caress it' and went Black-Red blitz:

It turns out giving Deathtouch creatures Double Strike is Pretty Good(tm). I won my next four games, went 2-1 overall and got a bunch of cards for Mono-Red Aggro.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Went 2-1 with a pretty sick Ojutai pool filled with flyers, and Ghost Waifu and Ojutai Exemplars for bombs. The Exemplars is disgustingly good, it completely dominates the board. I won every game where it dropped, and the one match I lost I never saw it (or any lands in game 3 for that matter, grumble grumble). This set looks like a ton of fun, I had some really excellent games that came right down to the wire.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
4-0-2 for 1st out of 40 with Dromoka. Thought my pool was hot garbage, turns out these mediocre seeming cards can do some work. Plenty of opportunities for 2-for-1s and incidental voltroning. Megamorphs were great.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Add me to the opened no bombs and got shitwrecked list. Did open a Zurgo then a Silumgar in my pity pack. The highlight of my night was the Ojutai spindown.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It feels super weird playing this set where you really can't afford to just go three-color when playing with some of the same cards you were routinely going three color with. Splash for a dragon worked okay for me (R/B/g for the Ventmaw and R/G rare), but a friend of mine tried to just go full Bant and got wrecked by mana the whole time.

Another dude opened Dragonlord Ojutai and Narset in his pool. Surprisingly he didn't destroy everyone at all, but it turns out Narset's not that great in limited when you can't build the deck full of non-creatures and there's not a ton of super crazy spells to rebound.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 21, 2015

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Ghost Waifu is the real deal. 3-0'd midnight prerelease with GW bolster aggro, every game I cast her I steamrolled. Didn't open much else that was worth very much but had a lot of fun, looking forward to drafting!

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Went 3-0 at friday night standard with red deck wins, then went 3-1 at Prerelease with Silumgar. Exploit is a ton of fun. Going again sunday, really enjoying this set so far. Got a free playmat, random promo card, and all the bowling promos too. Our LGS guy read the thing wrong and thought you had to add both scores from both rolls, not take the higher. So after a few of those they realized and changed it to only getting 1 throw at the things but I managed to knock it out anyway, so woooo.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Holy gently caress the Avatar of the Resolute is retarded in Sealed. My first 0-2 round of the night was to the Dromoka guy who opened THREE of them :facepalm: Yeah, 4/3 trample reach turn 2 sounds good.

e: to clarify, he also opened every game with the one-drop who enters with a counter.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 21, 2015

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Sigma-X posted:

I miss when the pre-release promo was a multi-format all-star with alt art and foil.

Also being printed in a dead language. RIP, Kavu Furens.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My deck was so do-nothing that I lost a game to decking myself with Outpost Siege

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

My deck was so do-nothing that I lost a game to decking myself with Outpost Siege

So you got to live the LSV dream

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Midnight pool was Kolaghan, but had so much good white stuff (Ojutai Exemplars, Valorous Stance, Hidden Dragonslayer, Elite Scaleguard, -Secure the Wastes + War Flare- :vince: ), I ended up Boros splash B for some of the better black removal. And holy poo poo does this set have a lot of black removal. Promo was Thunderbreak Regent. :holy: And I ended up with 2 Crater Elementals in my pool. That thing does loving work, and I got it's formidable trigger off twice, both times for lethal. Oh, and I ended up Secure + Flare-ing 3 times last night, and it was disgusting.

Got first place with 3-1 out of 14 because the first place guys during rounds 3 and 4 both played down and lost. And since the 1st place guy during round 4 was the guy I lost to round 2 (durdly Ojutai deck with Narset), I ended up topping both of them since I played up round 4 and won. It was dumb. Scored 6 packs and got absolutely jack in them. But, whatever. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun limited format.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Devor posted:

So you got to live the LSV dream

The LSV dream would have been if I actually played my two Skywise Teachings. I maybe had enough non-creature spells for it to work but I bottled it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's true, the LSV dream is to wisely take to the skies and go jinnfinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Boy of Joy posted:

Ghost Waifu is the real deal. 3-0'd midnight prerelease with GW bolster aggro, every game I cast her I steamrolled. Didn't open much else that was worth very much but had a lot of fun, looking forward to drafting!

Almost every time I played Anafenza she immediately ate a removal spell. :(

Overall I can't complain about my pool, I had a pretty decent GW aggroish build with a splash of black for removal, Sidisi, and Tasigur. I got to live the dream of going Sidisi into Tasigur just once in 4 rounds, it was total overkill when it happened, and it was glorious. Went 3-1 overall, horribly punted game 3 of the match I lost because I was holding up Coat With Venom and let my only remaining creature, a 5/5, get Roasted.

• Locked thread