Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

If you're just after Google Play Music, I've had a good time with omplayer; it hooks in to the media keys so you don't forget that you're using a browser, hit pause, and have whatever's in iTunes start up. http://www.mifki.com/omplayer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Any recommendations for a media tag editor?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I use MusicBrainz Picard. Terrible name, but I end up putting everything though it before it hits iTunes Match.

e: for video I use iFlicks, which is the best thing ever.

E2: what's the best app to sit in my notification area and give me quick access to different retina resolutions? I find myself switching frequently depending on what I am doing at the time.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 20, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ZShakespeare posted:

I use MusicBrainz Picard. Terrible name, but I end up putting everything though it before it hits iTunes Match.

e: for video I use iFlicks, which is the best thing ever.

E2: what's the best app to sit in my notification area and give me quick access to different retina resolutions? I find myself switching frequently depending on what I am doing at the time.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/display-menu/id549083868?mt=12

It's free, but the in-app "pro" upgrade is 1.99. Works on my rMBP without issues (and with multiple displays)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

In case you didn't know, Yosemite has a built-in Wireless Diagnostic tool that will tell you which channel is the least crowded in your area.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

It's working fine in Fluid, but had to change the browser identifier string.

And set Gmail to "iPad" for sexy results

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 21, 2015

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
This is a super boring issue but one that is driving me insane. I'm on 10.9 on a new Macbook Pro. I upgraded after years on 10.5 or 6, I can't recall which.

When I hide an application, that means I'm done with it for the moment. Over the last however many years, that would put it in the switcher at the very end and I got used to that. Now, in 10.9, hiding puts the program up next in the switcher. So the opposite of out of the way. My workflow on certain projects is getting clumsy and it's incredibly frustrating. Not sure why they changed that or why they didn't at least add a toggle somewhere to put last hidden app second or last. Anyway, I found this:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/19185/can-i-get-back-snow-leopard-like-application-hiding-cmd-h-in-lion

The guy has the same issue. Someone posted a solution, but I don't know anything about scripts. Am I safe messing with that? Does anyone have an easier workaround?

David Aames
Jun 21, 2004

Everyone's Favorite Mulatto
Anyone all of a sudden have the PLAY button stop working properly on their keyboard?

Now when I hit my PLAY keyboard button, iTunes launches? WTF?

I went into the keyboard section and my only options appear to disable my Function keys and/or have to hit FN if i want to use it as an F8 button.

Super annoying with Google Music open in a browser tab and wanting to pause a song and having iTunes launch. Any ideas why this is happening?

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

David Aames posted:

Anyone all of a sudden have the PLAY button stop working properly on their keyboard?

Now when I hit my PLAY keyboard button, iTunes launches? WTF?

I went into the keyboard section and my only options appear to disable my Function keys and/or have to hit FN if i want to use it as an F8 button.

Super annoying with Google Music open in a browser tab and wanting to pause a song and having iTunes launch. Any ideas why this is happening?

My play button doesn't work with iTunes at all anymore, even when it has focus. Yosemite!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You need to disable the play button as a global control in chrome !

David Aames
Jun 21, 2004

Where/how do I do that?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have the Apple bluetooth keyboard and I've never been able to get the function key to work in either Mavericks or Yosemite. Turning on the keyboard visualizer thing shows that it's not registering as pressed on the external KB, but works fine on the laptop KB.

Has anyone encountered this and/or found a fix that doesn't involve a full reformat/reinstall of the OS? Repairing and stuff as suggested online hasn't done anything.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tuyop posted:

I have the Apple bluetooth keyboard and I've never been able to get the function key to work in either Mavericks or Yosemite. Turning on the keyboard visualizer thing shows that it's not registering as pressed on the external KB, but works fine on the laptop KB.

Has anyone encountered this and/or found a fix that doesn't involve a full reformat/reinstall of the OS? Repairing and stuff as suggested online hasn't done anything.

It sounds more like the function key just doesn't work. Have you tried the keyboard on another computer?

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 21, 2015

David Aames
Jun 21, 2004

carry on then posted:

It sounds more like the function key just doesn't work. Have you tried the keyboard on another computer?

I'm on a Macbook Pro.

The keyboard works, its just that the F8 Play button automatically fires up iTunes and I a) Don't want it to b) Have no idea how that mysteriously happened and why I can't use it to control other media any more (ie - Google Play music)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slowhanded posted:

I use radiant player as I had some weird bugs with fluid. Feel free to stick with it if it works for you.

I really liked Radiant Player but it kept on using an abnormal amount of my CPU, to the point where if I tried to skip a song it would beachball for about 15 seconds, so I switched to Gear. It's not perfect--finding All Access tracks is a pain, so I still do most of my library management through a browser--but when it comes to shuffling my Google Play library it works just fine. Media keys work with it too, though it uses a third party program called Media Keys to hijack them (and occasionally I have to hit the buttons twice for them to work).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

David Aames posted:

I'm on a Macbook Pro.

The keyboard works, its just that the F8 Play button automatically fires up iTunes and I a) Don't want it to b) Have no idea how that mysteriously happened and why I can't use it to control other media any more (ie - Google Play music)

Not you, tuyop.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

David Aames posted:

Where/how do I do that?

I can't remember exactly but it's in chrome settings somewhere. Try the keyboard shortcuts ?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

Yeah, that's a troubleshooting step I haven't been able to try. I'll have to try to find another mac at some point unless it plays a role in some iPad app that I don't know about. The keyboard has a one year warranty like other Apple products, right? I bought it from the store a couple of months ago.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Have any decent music players emerged lately? iTunes is hopeless, Ecoute is nicer but still not perfect. To be fair, I still miss the ol' Winamp from my Windows days so I might be a pretty special case... All the other players are just too much stuff and they all feel sluggish in comparison.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Xabi posted:

Have any decent music players emerged lately? iTunes is hopeless, Ecoute is nicer but still not perfect. To be fair, I still miss the ol' Winamp from my Windows days so I might be a pretty special case... All the other players are just too much stuff and they all feel sluggish in comparison.

Eh sometimes when I just want to play something without a library I use VLC.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

David Aames posted:

I'm on a Macbook Pro.

You could try BetterTouchTool, despite its name it also does app-specific keyboard shortcuts and I think those work for function keys as well.

If you just to stop iTunes from starting all the time, you could also try FunctionFlip.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Xabi posted:

Tried Clementine?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The only music player I've ever used that wasn't bad was sheep friends billy. But I don't ever think it got ported to OSX.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I just upgraded to 10.10.3b and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do a workflow I used to do, that I don't think exists anymore.

After I got a few hundreds of photos on my iPhone, I used to plug it in, and iPhoto would open up. I'd import anything that Photostream hadn't already synced and then delete all photos from my phone.

Now, using Photos, I can import things, but there is nothing in Photos to delete everything that has already been imported. I have to switch to Image Capture to do that.

Am I missing something here?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How do I unpartition a drive? Do I just select it and hit "Unmount" in Disk Utility?

Uh, Win 7 Boot Camp partition, by the way.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 22, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Use bootcamp assistant again, I believe?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Does anyone happen to have a copy of an OSX 10.7 install that's compatible with the diskmaker for a bootable flashdrive?
I tried the apple store but got scoffed at hard because I had no appointment and apparently it's apple store policy to literally have one guy in the store who can touch hard drives with OSX install files on it and even then it's would break apple protocol to allow that guy to transfer the file over for liability reasons!!!!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

How do I unpartition a drive? Do I just select it and hit "Unmount" in Disk Utility?

Uh, Win 7 Boot Camp partition, by the way.

Feenix is correct. Run through the Bootcamp Assistant. With an existing BootCamp partition it will now prompt to remove it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ZShakespeare posted:

I long for death the day that apple finally splits out music, videos, podcasts, iTunes (store), and iPhone/iPad management into separate apps.

The closest you'll probably see is that music & video streaming get a new app and everything else stays the same.

Also, Windows 7 is not supported any longer (in Boot Camp):

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/20/new-macbook-pro-air-no-windows-7-bootcamp/

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Preview is automatically saving over my old photos when I adjust the color levels. It's really annoying.

File > Revert to... shows me the old version, but when I click restore it just closes the document and doesn't do a drat thing.

I want my original images back. Is there another way to do this?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Retard question: Where the hell do I change the push/fetch settings for Mail.app in 10.10 ? I cannot for the love of god find it. It's an Exchange/Office365 account if that matters.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'd like to finally get offsite backups running on my Mac, mostly to protect my iPhoto library. I tried getting iCloud integration working when I switched from my last Mac but it was a disaster where twice all my contacts/calendar/photos/etc got wiped. For someone who's been using Macs as long as they've existed I found the process as clear as mud and the results just as appealing.

Will the byzantine folder structure of the iPhoto library be read properly by something like Crashplan? If I have to restore will the library work properly or will I have to somehow drain the photos out of that mess and start from scratch?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Not sure about Crashplan, but I moved my iPhoto library to Dropbox and it works flawlessly. I mean I guess the folder structure is really weird, but it's all self contained inside one bundle.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
I use Spideroak to capture my iPhoto database and it works fine. It explores the whole bundle to grab just the updated components. I've restored it once without issue. If you can browse in to the folder structure in CrashPlan's restore menu you should be cool.

Also, from last page:

Yossarko posted:

I have a MBPr 15" running Yosemite. I'm very new to mac (like, a few days) and I'd like to sync a folder (say, /Documents/work/) with a folder on my work's NAS (/Volumes/NAS/Yossarko/Work). Both ways. So if somebody updates some files directly on the NAS, I can grab them automatically. And if I work from home, the next day at work they will be put automatically onto the NAS. Like a backup. But both ways.
Not to make it seem like I'm a shill for Spideroak, but... Spideroak can do this with ease. It's the exact reason I started using it years ago.

Just connect to the NAS when you have the laptop at work so it shows up in your list of Volumes, choose the folder you want to sync, and the folder you want to sync to on your local machine. The app will take care of the rest in keeping both folders up to date. If you update a file and someone else happens to update the same file it will go with the newest modification, but the old version will still be archived if needed. I know this adds an extra layer and depending on the type of data your work might not be OK with it, but it's what I'd recommend.

I've tried to find other free ways since, so I could use it for others at work, but I haven't found anything that works the same.

RusteJuxx fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 23, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

The closest you'll probably see is that music & video streaming get a new app and everything else stays the same.

I can't see Apple abandoning iTunes anytime soon, what's much more likely is that they'll roll Beats streaming into iTunes and call it iTunes Radio Plus or something like that.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Dick Trauma posted:

Will the byzantine folder structure of the iPhoto library be read properly by something like Crashplan? If I have to restore will the library work properly or will I have to somehow drain the photos out of that mess and start from scratch?
CrashPlan support has articles on backing up iPhoto libraries and restoring iPhoto libraries that will probably answer any question you have.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is really good info. Thank you.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
I work on a help desk supporting mostly Windows environments. A few of our customers want Mac servers and are transitioning towards fully Mac offices. No one in my office is a Mac user and my manager approached me about becoming the Mac expert, willing to pay for training, books and certs for Mac end user and server support. I see this as mostly an opportunity to learn Unix. What are some good resources for starting with Unix on Yosemite? I've done password resets on Unix accounts before but that's the extent of my work with any *nix system.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

unclenutzzy posted:

I work on a help desk supporting mostly Windows environments. A few of our customers want Mac servers and are transitioning towards fully Mac offices. No one in my office is a Mac user and my manager approached me about becoming the Mac expert, willing to pay for training, books and certs for Mac end user and server support. I see this as mostly an opportunity to learn Unix. What are some good resources for starting with Unix on Yosemite? I've done password resets on Unix accounts before but that's the extent of my work with any *nix system.

I would just find your local Apple Store or call up apple and get yourself in discussion with their business team. They have people that will be willing to work all that out and train on some stuff. They told me it can lead to equipment discounts down the line as well.

But for servers they don't really sell real server hardware anymore. OS X server is just a $20 purchase on the Mac App Store. They have gui tools for some stuff, I don't know what you would get out of learning the command line straight away.

Honestly I think even Apple is using Linux in their own server environments these days. OS X server is more for running a LAN and managing a group of workstations for pushing updates, providing network storage etc if you are into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 18, 2019