Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently 400 people didn't hurt their wallet though. That makes it ethically okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The response seems to be that they're going to re-write the material, and this time, consult experts, though? I mean, Cook's sandbagging was despicable and describing the petition as libel is hyperbole, but in terms of the product itself, isn't it actually a good thing that they're going to remove the racist poo poo and replace it with, hopefully, something a lot better?

I don't have a dog in this race, I never owned the product in question and don't have an interest in it. But this seems like a good thing:

quote:

We have decided to replace the current Thunder Plains material in The Strange with a different Native American themed recursion. We will create this recursion alongside the Native writers with whom we’re already talking. Future printings will contain the new material, and the PDF versions will be altered with a free electronic update. The recursion will also be available to everyone as a free ebook.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

The response seems to be that they're going to re-write the material, and this time, consult experts, though? I mean, Cook's sandbagging was despicable and describing the petition as libel is hyperbole, but in terms of the product itself, isn't it actually a good thing that they're going to remove the racist poo poo and replace it with, hopefully, something a lot better?

I don't have a dog in this race, I never owned the product in question and don't have an interest in it. But this seems like a good thing:

Obviously if the new version is better I think it'd be dumb to keep making GBS threads on it but until then I got no faith in him when he's pouting and huffing his way through the rewrite.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

They're couching it in terms of only the quiet natives who treat them with respect are allowed to give them advice.

Which is poo poo.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
And people always go "Cirno why are you so ANGRY and why do you hate this hobby so much???"

Leperflesh posted:

They're doing it because they were forced to, but they sure as hell are going to snap and attack everyone who pushed them this far.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

He was already there on account of being a lovely designer who loves wizards a bit too much.

Randomly, he's the reason there's no 2-handed hammers in 3.x.

Well there are two handed hammers but they're all in weird non-core books. I have no idea why. One of them was actually the best melee weapon in the game, but good luck getting a Monte Cook style GM to approve your weapon from the 4th monster manual.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Randomly, he's the reason there's no 2-handed hammers in 3.x.

Wait, what?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
For real. I wish I had the link, but someone asked him about it, and he basically said he didn't like the style.

It may have been regarding its inclusion or exclusion (don't remember) in Arcana Unearthed, which I was like a superfan of back in the early Aughts.

Sadly I can't find it on Google.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 20, 2015

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Leperflesh posted:

It's a good thing, sure. It's drowned out that it only came because people dragged the company through mud to force them to acknowledge it, and they only propose changing it while talking out the side of their mouth about how you people from Native populations clearly can't let people have nice things like our Native peoples do.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Ceterum censeo, Tradgames esse delendam

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to know how many petitioners would be needed before they qualified as "a lot". There are more people signing this petition than there are people who shared MCGs original "open discussion" about it.

e:Actually, hah. They're claiming the petition "didn't get much support" but that they totally got "lots of comments". 417 versus 159, which number is bigger and which goes where? Anyone wanna take a stab at that riddle?

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 21, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of indigenous populations in gaming, Varg Vikernes finally self-published MYFAROG, his D&D heartbreaker "based on European values, geography, (pre-) history, mythology, traditions and morals, and will offer you the opportunity to play a game in accordance with your own European nature."

That is all.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of indigenous populations in gaming, Varg Vikernes finally self-published MYFAROG, his D&D heartbreaker "based on European values, geography, (pre-) history, mythology, traditions and morals, and will offer you the opportunity to play a game in accordance with your own European nature."

That is all.

Stormfront: The RPG

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The problem with D&D, in my opinion, is that it isn't based on European values.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Just remember, James Raggi apparently likes Varg.

An oroboros of poo poo etc etc

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You have to be a special kind of idiot to take Vikernes seriously. I mean besides the racist poo poo, he's literally an idiot and crazy to boot.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how many people Raggi publishes will pull products or call him on it in a way that has real impact.

No one, I don't have to wonder, gently caress.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

That is all.

All I know about that is there's a video of Varg loving around and doing cartwheels in a suit of chainmail in his backyard to decide what the movement penalty for armor should be.

Also what kind of title is MYFROG.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
417 signatures is 10% of the people who backed Numenara's kickstarter. Seems significant to me, but what do I know.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Halloween Jack posted:

That is all.

The credits page for this game is pretty much where you need to stop.

quote:

Inspirational RPGs

Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5, HârnMaster 1st & 3rd edition, Middle-earth Role-Playing (MERP) 1st & 2nd edition,
Rolemaster 1st edition, RuneQuest Deluxe Edition, Stalker the SciFi Roleplaying Game.

Inspirational Writers

Baron G. C. A. Evola, C. de Troyes, Epictetus, G. C. Tacitus, H. P. Lovecraft, Homer, J. & W. Grimm, J.
Moe, J. R. R. Tolkien, L. A. Seneca, M. Aurelius, O. E. Birkeli, P. C. Asbjørnsen, Plato, P. O. Naso (Ovid),
P. V. Maro (Virgil), Pythagoras of Samos, S. Sturluson, Sir J. G. Frazer, Socrates, W. von Eschenbach.

It's a sad little mixture of racist shitheads and the author gesturing with an unlit cigar.

e: My favorite thing is that the whole book is apparently written in Papyrus.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 21, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Don't you be talking poo poo about my homeboy, M. Aurelius.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Soooo a man decided to look at Thunder Plains for real, get real people opinions on it and oh yes discovered that it has a statistic that says that only 15% of the racist caricature people on the Thunder Plains are fully sentient beings. The lowest among all the Recursions in the game, including the one full of intelligent crows.

https://storify.com/MCSerf/a-critical-look-at-the-thunder-plains

I don't think this rabbit hole ends anymore.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm not super familiar with this setting, but it kinda looks like they could have just reskinned the whole thing as druids/ European pagans and saved themselves a lot of trouble. It worked for Skyrim.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I've been giving Monte Cook and friends some more benefit of the doubt than I should because I kind of liked Numenera, at least for the setting, and because I've got a knee-jerk reaction to people who use words like "erasure" after looking at that thread about Tumblr on GBS, but what the gently caress is this poo poo. This looks like something I'd find in an Old World of Darkness supplement. Why would you release something like this in 2015 and claim its actually super good for the Native American community?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SunAndSpring posted:

I've been giving Monte Cook and friends some more benefit of the doubt than I should because I kind of liked Numenera, at least for the setting, and because I've got a knee-jerk reaction to people who use words like "erasure" after looking at that thread about Tumblr on GBS, but what the gently caress is this poo poo. This looks like something I'd find in an Old World of Darkness supplement. Why would you release something like this in 2015 and claim its actually super good for the Native American community?

Because they figured that since Bruce Cordell knows Natives, has Native relatives, that they had an accurate picture, and the people assailing them were just tumblr types, who would never be satisfied. Also, they didn't really figure what having a minority of people actually be people in their game world meant.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Soooo a man decided to look at Thunder Plains for real
I'm pretty sure that man is our very own forums poster Serf.

Also, hoooooly shitballs, what a loving mess.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Soooo a man decided to look at Thunder Plains for real, get real people opinions on it and oh yes discovered that it has a statistic that says that only 15% of the racist caricature people on the Thunder Plains are fully sentient beings. The lowest among all the Recursions in the game, including the one full of intelligent crows.

https://storify.com/MCSerf/a-critical-look-at-the-thunder-plains

I don't think this rabbit hole ends anymore.

All I can imagine thanks to this nonsense is that the 'one full of intelligent crows' is full of those minstrel show crows from Dumbo.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tatum Girlparts posted:

All I can imagine thanks to this nonsense is that the 'one full of intelligent crows' is full of those minstrel show crows from Dumbo.

Don't worry, though, the author knows some black people.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I love the use of percentages in fantasy games, because nothing evokes otherworldiness and magic quite like dry population statistics.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

Just remember, James Raggi apparently likes Varg.

An oroboros of poo poo etc etc

Not... exactly. Going through his G+, it definitely seems like he is linking Varg's video because it's weird to see a hardcore racist/murderer talk about D&D. "[H]e really doesn't sound any different than anyone else around here."

On the other hand, going through Raggi's blog post and links is... enlightening. Raggi made a G+ post to the effect of no matter what an unrepentant bloody handed murderer you are, it shouldn't stop people from buying your poo poo or collaborating with you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Does Varg Vikernes releasing a table-top RPG count as the biggest name to ever enter the industry as a second career? :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrainParasite posted:

Not... exactly. Going through his G+, it definitely seems like he is linking Varg's video because it's weird to see a hardcore racist/murderer talk about D&D. "[H]e really doesn't sound any different than anyone else around here."

On the other hand, going through Raggi's blog post and links is... enlightening. Raggi made a G+ post to the effect of no matter what an unrepentant bloody handed murderer you are, it shouldn't stop people from buying your poo poo or collaborating with you.

It's called "death of the author". And in this case, also "death of one of the author's bandmates".

SunAndSpring posted:

Also what kind of title is MYFROG.

:frogout:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SunAndSpring posted:

In this case "erasure" is probably being used correctly tho since they're making some cartoonish caricature of native culture that sort of blends iconic bits of all the nations together into a slurry and pours it over an RPG book. On top of Monty Cooke & co. going "pfff fine we'll rewrite it but fyi we don't care about those native americans we offended because we found some that weren't." Which is pretty dismissive of the feelings of someone's heritage.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

That is all.
You see, apart from the racist and 'moral' trash, this sort of thing is totally my poo poo, but I'm not giving the dude money to mine it for the not-awful bits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He's going to completely ignore that black people lived in Medieval Europe, isn't he?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Reading the wikipedia article about Varg and I got to this line:

quote:

When asked about his father, he says that he "had a swastika flag at home" and that his father was hysterical about it. However, Vikernes feels that his father was a hypocrite, because he was worried about Vikernes "being a Nazi", whereas he too was "pissed about all the colored people he saw in town"

And I thought "Yeah, I hate hypocrisy. Maybe it would be better if more of the crypto-racists were honest and just came out as nazis."

Than I read the rest of the article and NOPE NOPE NOPE. Better a thousand closeted racists who wring their hands and moan about a girl pledging allegiance to America in another language than one psychopath like this guy. Holy poo poo.

Today I learned: Hypocrisy sucks, but some kinds of honesty are worse.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 21, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

He's going to completely ignore that black people lived in Medieval Europe, isn't he?
No, every RPG needs a race of bad guys you can slaughter with impunity. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

But you already have anti-semitism and Crusades, how much more genocide and racism do we need to celebrate faithfully recreate in game form?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dwarf74 posted:

You see, apart from the racist and 'moral' trash, this sort of thing is totally my poo poo, but I'm not giving the dude money to mine it for the not-awful bits.
Consider Robin Laws' Hillfolk instead.

moths posted:

Varg Vikernes posted:

In MYFAROG what we would identify as mainland Norway is submerged under glaciers (and populated by ettins), but the Ice Age has long been ending so the climate is very much temperate (although located in the Arctic). This area, Northern Norway, is in real life known as Hålogaland (translated as «the holy land»), so I took this information and combined it with our myths about a lost continent, and I created this sacred «continent» up there in the North, where the deities in secret created the Þulêan race of men (i. e. the Europeans). However, Þulê has been discovered by other races of men, and even worse, by the ettins, and naturally they all have arrived in Þulê, and in their wake comes all sorts of troubles, challenges – and great opportunities for adventure!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's important to remember that terms like erasure aren't really from Tumblr, they're just frequently abused by it. It's easy to do a quick filtering test for otherkin obesity+ diaperfur erasure because come on, just think about the context. "I am a Native and angry about my culture's representation" is just fundamentally different from "my soul is a werewolf and I'm angry because Walmart fired me for barking at the meat freezer instead of stocking shelves."

• Locked thread