Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Jack_tripper posted:

sometimes turrets get "knocked out", sometimes they get destroyed

Yeah but is it a dice roll? Betting shooting? What causes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

DonkeyHotay posted:

There's no way this is more complex than world of tanks. Armor is effectively taken out of consideration when I can regularly get citadel pens on an Amagi in a Kongo.

By the way why does my turret occasionally get knocked out entirely for the round as opposed to the times it gets knocked out in the same way as a rudder or prop, and is repairable?

That's because of AP rounds overpenetrating the armor and the internals of a turret and completely destroying it, which is ironic given the first part of your post is talking about how armor doesn't matter.

Also, an Amagi literally has less armor than a Fuso or a Nagato (and only like 50 mm more than a Kongo) , so of course the Kongo's guns are going to be able to penetrate. The armor on any battleship isn't really going to be able to soak well aimed hits from any other battleship because BB guns are just way too big and powerful, it's more about preventing lighter ships from being able to penetrate/crit.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

DonkeyHotay posted:

I haven't seen anyone with authority clarify it but I'd guess turrets have HP, sort of how you can take an ammo rack hit in wot that damages it versus taking an ammo rack hit that explodes

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DonkeyHotay posted:

It might be the critical effect of a magazine detonation, but I just had a turret get permanently knocked out on a 200 damage hit. Who knows.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Nerses IV posted:

It might be the critical effect of a magazine detonation, but I just had a turret get permanently knocked out on a 200 damage hit. Who knows.

el wargaming face

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I love the Farragut. I haven't played the IJN destroyers, but I already think I wouldn't have as much fun. I keep it at the stock hull because forget having shorter range torpedoes and lose a turret.

5 turrets with a 3 second reload means you can machine gun people regardless of class, especially enemy DDs and anyone else distracted. I regularly get 2000+ damage salvos on cruisers as long as I hit critical areas.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lol this is so wrong. You should actively be trying to dump long range shots onto turrets or in the middle over the citadel as most people never try to dodge at long range
The shell spread is enough larger than the target area that it's basically RNG. You can affect the probability of a good hit, but aiming only goes so far and citadel hits at 20 km are basically luck.
Yesterday I had a Kongo game where I straddled an enemy Kongo with nine consecutive salvos. The enemy eventually found me, shot back and destroyed two turrets in its first two salvos, both of which seemed to be aimed short. I think that's what Harik is getting at.

Burt posted:

First impressions? It's all a bit too simple. OK I have only tier 2 ships at the moment but it really does seem to be set throttle to max, avoid running into islands, and shoot. As long as you know how to lead shots and have map awareness you seem to have all the skills you need.

I won't say it's a bad game but I will say it's not going to be the game that just about everybody wanted and I don't think it's going to be the time filler I was looking forward too. It's not grabbed me by the balls like WoT beta did that's for sure.

You must have missed the beta weekends. Tier 2 has always been really simplistic, but at higher tiers the game got a lot more interesting, with every ship class being able to do significant damage to any other ship. It's more like "babysit your battleship players" now but they at least proved they could make am interesting game.
Maneuvering your ship to avoid taking damage has always been more challenging than shooting at enemies.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
If a shot completely penetrates your turret, the turret gets knocked out permanently. Note that this doesn't have to be a high damage hit or anything, and they seem to have made it happen more often in the last patch, but yeah as far as I know that's when it happens.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

DonkeyHotay posted:

There's no way this is more complex than world of tanks. Armor is effectively taken out of consideration when I can regularly get citadel pens on an Amagi in a Kongo.
It's hard to balance between gun cruisers being relevant and armor meaning something in battleship fights. Wargaming has at least hit on both sides of this. I'd rather have relatively weak citadel armor when there are ships at tier 10 with only guns and less armor penetration than a Kongo.
And the Amagi is a battlecruiser; I've had battleship shells hit a Fuso citadel without penetrating.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The whole thing with BCs is that they get big guns and good speed but don't have enough armor to protect against battleship fire.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngfQ_JBbrJQ

omahahahaha.mp4

I played way too aggressive and beached myself like a bumbling retard and still got 4 kills? Pubbies are awful.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

hopterque posted:

That's because of AP rounds overpenetrating the armor and the internals of a turret and completely destroying it, which is ironic given the first part of your post is talking about how armor doesn't matter.

Also, an Amagi literally has less armor than a Fuso or a Nagato (and only like 50 mm more than a Kongo) , so of course the Kongo's guns are going to be able to penetrate. The armor on any battleship isn't really going to be able to soak well aimed hits from any other battleship because BB guns are just way too big and powerful, it's more about preventing lighter ships from being able to penetrate/crit.

Exactly. Which is why All or Nothing armor became a thing in the first place. You just couldn't armor an entire ship to block large-caliber shells; you had to choose just a few important places and give those spots all the armor you had. Even that wasn't always enough to stop shells from the ships' own guns, so gradually the focus shifted away from armor entirely towards speed and range.

That parity in design is why tier differences in WoWS aren't as dominant as they are in WoT. If I lost a duel to a Sherman in my T32, I'd consider seppuku the only way to ease my shame: losing to a St. Louis in an Omaha? Much more understandable. The guns only get so big, the armor so much thicker, the ships so much faster between designs. You don't have revolutionary leaps like the Sherman, Tiger or T-34 that just outclassed everything before it

The revolutionary leaps in ship design during WW2 came in carrier design. Which is why tier differences there ARE incredibly painful.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DonkeyHotay posted:

Poor use of armor allowing penetration does not mean that armor is effectively taken out of consideration. If you could regularly get citadel pens on an Amagi in a Kongo regardless of angle or range, then that would mean armor is taken out of consideration. In fact, if angling and range control is still important despite that tier mismatch, I'd go so far as to say armor as a mechanic maintains more of its impact than an equivalent mismatch in tanks which is close to autopen for the higher tier and close to needing to catch the higher tier totally unaware.

Ships puts a lot more weight on positioning decisions than minute differences in combat handling in comparison to tanks, though.

Vengarr posted:

Exactly. Which is why All or Nothing armor became a thing in the first place. You just couldn't armor an entire ship to block large-caliber shells; you had to choose just a few important places and give those spots all the armor you had. Even that wasn't always enough to stop shells from the ships' own guns, so gradually the focus shifted away from armor entirely towards speed and range.

No, they just shifted to a codified idea of an immune zone around those very important bits, which was always the case that they'd be protected in a certain range bracket, but they specifically armored to give a certain immune zone against their own guns. Range and angle are far more important to boats than tanks.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 21, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Axetrain posted:

I hope the Cleveland is worth it because the Phoenix feels like straight garbage. Admittedly I'm real bad at this though.

My second battle in a stock Phoenix:

Torped 3 DDs and a BB to death while sinking 2 Cruisers with guns. The last DD and I both popped round an island and killed each other at the same time with torps :getin:

SuperSix posted:

nobody seems to expect cruisers to spit out torps

This is very true.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 21, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I definitely miss torps on the Cleveland. The guns more than make up for it but I found the torps on the phoenix/Omaha incredibly useful interrupting the attack runs of destroyers that got too close.

Also for the rare chance at battleship torpedo shame and kill.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

DonkeyHotay posted:

This has been explained like three times since you asked your question.

Knocking out a gun turret with HE is not permanent.

Knocking out a gun turret with an AP overpenetration is permanent.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

bUm posted:

Some friends and I have been streaming some WoWS if anyone wanted to watch while dreaming of a key (streaming right now and will be for at least awhile longer tonight): http://www.twitch.tv/choppernine

No keys to hand out, unfortunately (:smith:), but you can watch us be bad at boats and poo poo up chat about how WoWS doesn't fulfill your lifelong goal of being a real ship IRL with realistic armor characteristics and all like Harold the Helicopter.

I hate you.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So while I'm desperately waiting for a beta test invite, I'll pose a question.

With all the action items, good and bad, with WoS, how would you all describe the fun factor? Is this a fun game and one worth playing?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

sparkmaster posted:

With all the action items, good and bad, with WoS, how would you all describe the fun factor? Is this a fun game and one worth playing?

Yes. All the ships are fun for different reasons. DDs are fun for going fast and playing cat and mouse. Cruisers are fun for general purpose dickery. BBs are fun for shooting long range and watching big numbers pop up. CVs are fun if you want to indulge in autistic micromanagement.

The only reason I'm not playing right now is because I don't want to get too burned out. I'm sure there will be a wipe when they move from closed to open beta.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I got into the beta a few days ago and find it hella fun so far. Feel like the game is alot more fluid than world of tanks (get it?). Will definately keep playing for quite some time.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MtgR-NdUOU

Kongo thunderdome. I am bad at this game.

To answer the question, yeah, I think it's actually pretty fun. It definitely has its moments. I also think it gets better around tier 5.

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
Is the pyromania skill as good as it looks? I mean shouldnt a cruiser fireing HE start a fire like every 2 salvo atleast?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I dunno if someone mentioned it and I missed it, but WG just posted a "wink wink" desktop background of the KM Bismarck on the WoWS Facebook page.

If they add that thing before the US BBs and IJN carriers I am going to die.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why would you upgrade the torpedo tubes on the Clemson? +0.5km range for -0.6 ROF?

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

PirateBob posted:

Why would you upgrade the torpedo tubes on the Clemson? +0.5km range for -0.6 ROF?

Some of the upgrades are less useful than others :v

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

rossmum posted:

I dunno if someone mentioned it and I missed it, but WG just posted a "wink wink" desktop background of the KM Bismarck on the WoWS Facebook page.

I would be OK with this, because then I could attack it with torpedo bombers and jam it's rudder.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I really hope it has a super-weak rudder and that they add it ASAP.

kalven
Feb 17, 2006

PirateBob posted:

Because range is more important then rate of fire.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rossmum posted:

I hope it gets murdered by fifteen year older ships as effectively as it did in real life. Can't wait to gun them down in a Nelson like IRL, just render them totally incapable of firing back.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

drat do I want to play this thing. Of course the close beta keys are only provided to WG favorites, whilst they tell everyone else to spread the word as much as possible via social media and post on the official forums in order to raise your own personal RNG for random beta key access.

It figures, WG finally builds a game from the ground up that's designed to actually run on a modern computer and not hampered by base code built around Russian toasters, that actually looks like a lot of fun, and next-to-nobody can play it.

I mean, really, post on those official forums? It's a goddamn sea of weaboos that were originally drawn there because of KanColle, aka 'Boat Sluts'. gently caress that.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Prav posted:

I really hope it has a super-weak rudder and that they add it ASAP.

I really hope that British cruisers have a pronounced tendency to Blow Up from strikes to the guns.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

sparkmaster posted:

I'm seriously enjoying myself. Even the underpowered carriers have their moments. The plane view is loving cool, following your planes as they drop dive bombs and torps and dogfight is pretty rad.

There's definitely some fiddling needed with the balance, but the core gameplay is very fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaan posted:

I really hope that British cruisers have a pronounced tendency to Blow Up from strikes to the guns.

Likewise, I hope the Japanese carriers have a crippling vulnerability to dive bombers and can sink from one hit with one.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Cythereal posted:

Likewise, I hope the Japanese carriers have a crippling vulnerability to dive bombers and can sink from one hit with one.

:respek:

Something is bloody wrong with our ships today!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaan posted:

:respek:

Something is bloody wrong with our ships today!

Maybe it will be an easter egg. Dive bombers get a scaling chance to critically hit the more airplanes US carriers feed into the Japanese fighter woodchipper.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cythereal posted:

They better give Kaga her historical armament. 10 8-inch guns, 8 5-inch guns. And 6 inches of belt armor. Just in case she ever found herself in a gun duel with a cruiser.

Kaga was designed for a video game. Specifically, this one.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vengarr posted:

They better give Kaga her historical armament. 10 8-inch guns, 8 5-inch guns. And 6 inches of belt armor. Just in case she ever found herself in a gun duel with a cruiser.

Kaga was designed for a video game. Specifically, this one.
The Lex doesn't get her 8-inchers so probably not :(

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Been watching some streamers today and am interested. After Navyfield went to poo poo I kind of lost interest in Naval combat games but it looks like the speed and action are nicely balanced from what Ive seen so far.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Victor Surge posted:

I love the Farragut. I haven't played the IJN destroyers, but I already think I wouldn't have as much fun. I keep it at the stock hull because forget having shorter range torpedoes and lose a turret.

5 turrets with a 3 second reload means you can machine gun people regardless of class, especially enemy DDs and anyone else distracted. I regularly get 2000+ damage salvos on cruisers as long as I hit critical areas.

I ended up taking the upgraded hull just to shred planes that come and try to sink me as I close in on the carriers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kalven posted:

Because range is more important then rate of fire.

Because of the way torpedo detection works, longer range is normally a disadvantage. Torpedoes show up far enough away that you'll never hit anyone competent at range. Otherwise, the only thing range does is make your torpedoes proportionally easier to spot. If you launch torpedoes from 5 km, torpedoes with a 20 km range will be spotted the instant they leave your ship, but 5 km torpedoes will only show up when they're more than halfway through. None of the torpedoes in game are fast enough to make up for that disadvantage.
That said, 500 meters isn't enough range to make much difference. I'd ignore the range difference completely, and choose based on the other attributes.