Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

ExplodingSims posted:

Wait when did this happen? Or was this the fingat series?

Fingat, not positive I got the details right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Why all the worry about the actual weight of the concrete? It's not worth the sperging. That said, probably not actually 400lb. I do know however that it takes about 10 bags of quikcrete to fill a small plastic garden pond, and -that- was a heavy bastard to load into a truck.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SoundMonkey posted:

are you guys behaving in here?

kiiiiinda? its a rather weighty matter.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Lets get this thread back on track.

This is how the landlord fixed the leaky ceiling.

Electrician in Denmark gets fired after publishing pictures of the bad safety at Metro construction sight

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Electrician in Denmark gets fired after publishing pictures of the bad safety at Metro construction sight

I like how you have the same typo as from the imgur album that I was about to post. :v: I think this photo is probably worse though:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I like how you have the same typo as from the imgur album that I was about to post. :v: I think this photo is probably worse though:

holy poo poo.

who would ever.. ok..

And LiquidCatnip's belief in humanity lost 30 sizes that day. .. :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A buzz on the line.

(Found on facebook)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Copy paste will do that.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Lets get this thread back on track.

This is how the landlord fixed the leaky ceiling.

At least they did something. My previous landlord took a week to get somebody out when the A/C crapped out in the middle of summer in Texas. Luckily I moved out a couple weeks ago before the place fell on my head. I own my new house (a 16x80 trailer, but it's been taken care of). There's only one small problem with the new place, the back stairs will loving kill you:

Only other place I've seen stairs that steep was on a battleship, and those had handrails. I go out the front door and around to get to the shed.

Collateral Damage posted:

A buzz on the line.

(Found on facebook)
Electrical supply houses sell badass wasp spray for exactly this reason. Goes 30 feet and kills 'em instantly, and is non-conductive. Bengal makes a similar product you can buy at WalMart, but the unbranded version for electricians is cheaper. Although when it's as bad as pictured, no jury in their right minds would convict you for arson.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Delivery McGee posted:

At least they did something. My previous landlord took a week to get somebody out when the A/C crapped out in the middle of summer in Texas. Luckily I moved out a couple weeks ago before the place fell on my head.

:laffo: at you mentioning the week to fix the A/C when that fuckin' landlady took ALMOST A YEAR to send somebody out to look at it when the GARAGE CAUGHT FIRE, and then she never actually had them do anything about the hole in the wall that took out part of a stud...

edit: And she never even looked at, much less touched, the much-reported "the side door has no weatherstripping and you can see sky around three sides of it and since the outside gets in when it rains the floor is rotted away to the point where you can basically push the sill down through the soft spot and climb in and out" issue

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 21, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

InediblePenguin posted:

:laffo: at you mentioning the week to fix the A/C when that fuckin' landlady took ALMOST A YEAR to send somebody out to look at it when the GARAGE CAUGHT FIRE, and then she never actually had them do anything about the hole in the wall that took out part of a stud...

edit: And she never even looked at, much less touched, the much-reported "the side door has no weatherstripping and you can see sky around three sides of it and since the outside gets in when it rains the floor is rotted away to the point where you can basically push the sill down through the soft spot and climb in and out" issue

Do places like this just have cowardly/lazy tenants that don't know their rights or report the gently caress out of their landlords and withhold rent until poo poo is fixed, or live in 3rd world countries/states with no tenants rights?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
They did the minimum the law requires here, and after a certain point we just gave up and gaffer-taped the caving-in ceiling tiles in the master bedroom. Texas leans toward the landlord on tenants' rights because people who rent are dirty poors. We could have called the county inspector in and had the place declared uninhabitable, but then we wouldn't have a place to live.

Although I kinda want to make an anonymous call to the county now.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 21, 2015

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Yeah basically my understanding of the Texas state-provided information on tenants' rights was/is that you DEFINITELY CANNOT withhold rent for repairs, and really in most cases you "have the right to request" repairs but if they aren't actually provided your resort is to hire an attorney and sue for the right to break your lease and move elsewhere.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I can't understand why any landlord would not want to know about any potential problems with their investment and furthermore not want to take immediate action to mitigate further damage. It's a huge investment, why are you letting it rot and become worthless? So you don't want to pay a roofer $300 to stop the leak and you rig up some elaborate funnel and tubing system to alleviate the symptoms while the water causes hundreds or thousands more in damage? That funnel photo looks like it's from a decent house, too, not even some already run-down piece of poo poo the owner wants to squeeze the last few months of semi-habitable rent out of.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DNova posted:

That funnel photo looks like it's from a decent house, too, not even some already run-down piece of poo poo the owner wants to squeeze the last few months of semi-habitable rent out of.

Trim molding and paint are cheap compared to actually fixing poo poo.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

DNova posted:

I can't understand why any landlord would not want to know about any potential problems with their investment and furthermore not want to take immediate action to mitigate further damage. It's a huge investment, why are you letting it rot and become worthless? So you don't want to pay a roofer $300 to stop the leak and you rig up some elaborate funnel and tubing system to alleviate the symptoms while the water causes hundreds or thousands more in damage? That funnel photo looks like it's from a decent house, too, not even some already run-down piece of poo poo the owner wants to squeeze the last few months of semi-habitable rent out of.

As a landlord I agree with you but I think it comes down to the fact that not all landlords are as invested directly in a property as an owner. They may not be the one who bought the property and as a result may not care about much more than a rent check arriving on time. Myself, I try to fix anything I hear about the same day, but I live down the street from my rental, and I bought the house myself.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think a lot of it is that renters probably don't know their rights at all. I'm going through the rounds with our leasing agency because a sudden temperature shift caused the inner pane of our window to crack. We were sitting on the couch watching TV and just a loud pop and a crack a few inches long. They want to say that it was our fault and we probably hit the window and want us to pay for replacement and install, we don't want to do that because they used the shittiest windows known to man, they aren't sealed well at all, and we didn't touch the window. Sometimes you just deal with rear end-hats that it is hard to get anything done and the risk of getting thrown out (even if it can't be legally enforced) stops a lot of tenants from complaining too much.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I can bitch about lovely landlords here. I've been having to learn how to repair our washing machine because the pump had been leaking for a while, and then it stopped agitating or spinning at all, so I've been doing this:

http://www.sannerud.com/house/kenwash.html

Replaced that, the water pump, and the agitator clutch dogs on my own dime because the landlord gives no fucks, even though the machine was spewing water all over the floor.

it was only $40 in parts but this is the machine everyone here uses and it's the principle of the thing.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I've gotta be missing something. Those power boxes are GFCI distribution systems and are designed specifically for that kind of environment. I didn't see anything bad in the second pic either. There are cords in the water. So? It's not like electricity goes sideways out of the cord. That's what the insulation is for. They've even got the connectors up out of the water, which is the only part likely to fail and short out. Which doesn't electrify the whole puddle: it just causes a little amber light to come on in the distribution box, and you can't turn power on while the circuit is faulted.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Delivery McGee posted:

They did the minimum the law requires here, and after a certain point we just gave up and gaffer-taped the caving-in ceiling tiles in the master bedroom. Texas leans toward the landlord on tenants' rights because people who rent are dirty poors. We could have called the county inspector in and had the place declared uninhabitable, but then we wouldn't have a place to live.

Although I kinda want to make an anonymous call to the county now.

I may or may not have called the Texas Attorney General over one apartment I lived in, along with city code enforcement.

Texas requires that landlords repair a/c if the rental property includes a/c; my a/c worked, but water would pour out of the bathroom ceiling whenever it was on, and I'd been complaining for several months about it, along with the resulting mold. They also advertised the property as being gated, but the gates had been broken for over a year, and I had a letter from the management stating they had no intentions to ever fix them (yet continued to advertise it as gated on their own website). A/C was fixed a few days after the city showed up (which required ripping the ceiling out in the bathroom, replacing the drain pan in the HVAC unit, and replacing everything that showed a sign of mold - so basically most of the structure in the bathroom, along with 2 walls, with a code enforcement officer checking in daily), gates were fixed 2 weeks later, and I got CC'd a copy of the back and forth between the state attorney general and the management. They were supposed to pay for a hotel while the unexpected bathroom remodel was going on, but they refused to pay up front, and I couldn't pay for it myself.

For some reason they refused to renew my lease the next year. v:v:v

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 22, 2015

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I was moving out of my old apartment (in a large apartment block) that I'd lived in for a few years, and I decided that unlike every previous apartment I'd be a good tenant and clean under the stove before I left.

I pull it like six inches out from the wall, have a look behind it, nudge it a few more inches to get a rag in there... and there's a blinding white flash, a very loud bang, and my ex running over to see if I'm alive.

Turns out that not only was the range plug box not mounted to the wall, they also didn't terminate the BX in any way so the razor sharp end of it just sliced through the wire insulation with the slightest movement.

I took a picture of the black mark on the wall and told them I was gonna stop cleaning now but also was gonna be getting my full deposit back. They seemed ok with that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

For some reason they refused to renew my lease the next year. v:v:v
Because now that it's been "remodeled" they can have some other sucker pay a higher rent for it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Collateral Damage posted:

Because now that it's been "remodeled" they can have some other sucker pay a higher rent for it.

That was 11 years ago; it still rents for $600/month, according to their website (which is what I paid from 02-04). :confused:

It actually dropped down to a little over $500 for a bit, but with Toyota moving their US headquarters nearby, rents have shot up quite a bit in the area. They're one of the cheapest around here that isn't a complete slum.

Funny enough, I'm looking at their website now - they've remodeled them, and during the remodel they ripped out the alarm systems, built-in microwaves (granted, an itty bitty 600 watt unit mounted under a cabinet), along with the stoves with a built-in grill (Jenn Air style, except made by GE), and also got rid of the nice variable-speed vent hoods. But it's also changed ownership 4 or 5 times since then.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

and my ex running over to see if I'm alive.

Well dont keep us in suspense here. Did you live?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SynthOrange posted:

Well dont keep us in suspense here. Did you live?

I didn't want to be a downer, but no. RIP me.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

15x31x9.5

http://www.calculator.net/concrete-calculator.html

340 lbs, plus whatever the shackle and embedded chain weighs, plus whatever variation from aggregate ratio.

Hope you can sleep well tonight ya goony bastards :allears:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

`Nemesis posted:

15x31x9.5

340 lbs, plus whatever the shackle and embedded chain weighs, plus whatever variation from aggregate ratio.

You think that is enough to get them off your back?

We're going to need to see it on a weighbridge and a notarised copy of the weighing, plus a copy of calibration certificate.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

`Nemesis posted:

15x31x9.5

Hmm looks photoshopped to me. Going to need a crumpled piece of paper with verification on it to be sure

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bobbilljim posted:

Hmm looks photoshopped to me. Going to need a crumpled piece of paper with verification on it to be sure

Also today's newspaper and a 3D-printed model of your username.

A Dorkroom dude in the buy/sell thread actually does the latter and it's pretty cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Less crappy, more absolutely absurd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=070JJwgupRw

quote:

So, I have this crazy idea about using an 85kWh Model S battery pack (from a salvage Model S) as the heart of a custom off-grid solar power setup somewhere around 25kW DC.

I assume others have thought about this...

I considered making a setup where the solar panels would be setup in a configuration to produce something like 450VDC+, then making a buck converter for high efficiency charging directly from the panels. The most I've seen the battery voltage was about 404V during a 100% charge at a supercharger, so, this should be possible. Little bit of microcontroller brains to keep things sane and all should be well.

Inverter should be simple, since HV inverters already exist. Might need to step the voltage down a hair since a lot do not operate at >400VDC input. But, that's not the hardest part of this project by a long shot.

That aside, does anyone have any information about the pack itself? I'm working on physically getting one to tinker with, which will help, but I'd be curious if anyone else has done any of this already and we could save each other some leg work.

I'm also wondering if Tesla would sell any of the parts needed to interface with it, such as the high voltage connectors. I might need to just get a full salvage Model S to do this (would be cool, because then I might end up with 170kWh of battery...). Things like hooking to the coolant loop and adding a radiator and things should be trivial. Accessing the existing BMS might be hard, though, but might not be needed. Since the pack will be stationary I'll probably pop the cover off and go from there.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ll=1#post873231
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ll=1#post916002

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That is a fuckton of screws.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And terrifying:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Huh, and I doubted the guy who said they were essentially just a whole shitload of 18650 cells.

I also know a couple people who plan on doing this, apparently it's actually not totally infeasible.

As a bonus you can attempt to construct something whose existence may be prohibited by the laws of physics as we know them.

(Or at least our current level of technology)

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

`Nemesis posted:

15x31x9.5

Thread delivers 555 have my man babies goon sire

This is in my fiancee's sister's garage. That floor drain is the drain for the washing machine, which spews water all over the floor (and electrical extension cord) every time they use the washer. Oh and it's the drain for the hot water tank and furnace.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
That is a fantastically interesting thread. I've been thinking about solar power setups lately, it's good to see some ambition. :)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Laminator posted:

Thread delivers 555 have my man babies goon sire

This is in my fiancee's sister's garage. That floor drain is the drain for the washing machine, which spews water all over the floor (and electrical extension cord) every time they use the washer. Oh and it's the drain for the hot water tank and furnace.

The "drain" in my basement (which is just an 8x8 slab for the hot water heater and lawnmower storage, the rest is dirt) is just a grating over a 4" deep hole in the concrete that goes to... hard-packed clay-like ground.

When my hot water heater started leaking all over the place and the plumbers came to fix it, they were like "oh wicked, a drain hole", started draining it, three seconds later the hole fills up and starts pooling water. They decided to get back in the truck and go do another job and come back in three hours when it would probably be finished.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SoundMonkey posted:

Huh, and I doubted the guy who said they were essentially just a whole shitload of 18650 cells.

I also know a couple people who plan on doing this, apparently it's actually not totally infeasible.

Not sure why you'd rip apart a perfectly good Tesla automobile to do it when Tesla's going to be selling the battery pack in a standalone package specific for home power storage.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Phanatic posted:

Not sure why you'd rip apart a perfectly good Tesla automobile to do it when Tesla's going to be selling the battery pack in a standalone package specific for home power storage.

Impatience and internet fame would be my guess.

And a deplorable excess of money.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Isn't it a salvaged battery pack? (Thread is massive, haven't read it all yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Phanatic posted:

So you could convert it to run the most gigantic combustion engine you can find. The purpose of this is to piss the hell out of the Tesla fan club, of course.