Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I respect Krillen.

Yamcha on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Krillin is there for loving everything through the series.. he fights till the end vs vegeta, is a player the whole time on namek and stays around till near the end of frieza till he dies, is there when cell goes perfect and the cell games.. the only time he isnt on the front lines is vs buu really, i have respect for him and he is win.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

jivjov posted:

Dragon Boxes for sure. You lose out on the Faulconer score, which is a deal breaker for some, but the picture is uncropped, and about as clean as its gonna get.

I checked on Amazon and the first dragon box goes from $120-400.

Do the Blu-Rays give you a choice between the Faulconer score and the original Japanese one? Because I think I prefer cheesy kung-fu music over synth.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tbp posted:

Krillin is there for loving everything through the series.. he fights till the end vs vegeta, is a player the whole time on namek and stays around till near the end of frieza till he dies, is there when cell goes perfect and the cell games.. the only time he isnt on the front lines is vs buu really, i have respect for him and he is win.
He cuts off Frieza's goddamn tail, he is a bad rear end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

tbp posted:

the only time he isnt on the front lines is vs buu really

Even then, he tries to fight Super Buu on his own to save his wife, daughter, and friends.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Krillen's wonderful.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Krillen is the epitome of A for effort.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

I checked on Amazon and the first dragon box goes from $120-400.

Yeah, you kinda needed to have been buying them as they came out pretty sure they only got one print run each.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, I was looking up Youtube videos and I started watching the one where Dr. Gero almost kills Yamcha. Everyone senses his power level and starts flying over to him to save him.

Including Goku.

Who could just use Instant Transmission to be there instantly.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'm fine with the orange bricks. I'm not looking for perfection, just being able to see the story in any form. with out censoring edits or cut scenes.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, I was looking up Youtube videos and I started watching the one where Dr. Gero almost kills Yamcha. Everyone senses his power level and starts flying over to him to save him.

Including Goku.

It's Yamcha, they'll just wish him back.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I assume instant transmission takes a lot of energy

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

bowmore posted:

I assume instant transmission takes a lot of energy

Yeah, and Yamcha's not worth it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Including Goku.

I forgot, do the Androids count as life signatures that can be Instant Transmission'd to?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

mycot posted:

I forgot, do the Androids count as life signatures that can be Instant Transmission'd to?

No, they don't generate a ki signature. It ties into the fact that they're powered by an endless artificial ki source, if I'm remembering it right.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

BattleCattle posted:

Krillen's wonderful.

Krillen's the man because he has a legitimate deadly move throughout the whole series, while Goku just sits on the kamehameha and spirit bomb which rarely finish off the opponent in one shot.

He would have killed Nappa if he was slightly stupider too.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

my cat is norris posted:

No, they don't generate a ki signature. It ties into the fact that they're powered by an endless artificial ki source, if I'm remembering it right.

Which reminds me, would a scouter work on an android?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

NowonSA posted:

He would have killed Nappa if he was slightly stupider too. Vegeta let him.

I don't remember the anime but in the manga Vegeta had to tell him to dodge.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah that happened in the anime too. I figure it was the Nappa genes that made Cell think taking Final Flash was a great idea.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

mycot posted:

Aside from Cell, no. But they can still track them by noting the draining power levels or heightened power levels of people nearby.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Krillin used the Kienzan on Android 19 or Gero, would they be able to absorb it or would it just cut through their hands?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Ah yeah that's right, I'm going off of decade-old memories at this point, mostly.

That reminds me of that one time Krillen blasted a hole through Vegeta on Namek though. Good times.

Rhonne posted:

If Krillin used the Kienzan on Android 19 or Gero, would they be able to absorb it or would it just cut through their hands?

I mean it's a ki attack, so I'd assume absorption is on the table, but I'm sure if he surprised them somehow or they couldn't get their hands on it it'd cut 'em up.

Man, now I really want to see Krillen bust out some kind of multiple Kienzan, like he gathers all his ki into a big one that splits apart and all the smaller discs chase his opponent.

Oh poo poo, I got it! He can attach it to Yamcha's lovely ball of energy that he can control and have him steer it into the opponent. Yamcha could actually do something useful!

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I mean it's a ki attack, so I'd assume absorption is on the table, but I'm sure if he surprised them somehow or they couldn't get their hands on it it'd cut 'em up.

Man, now I really want to see Krillen bust out some kind of multiple Kienzan, like he gathers all his ki into a big one that splits apart and all the smaller discs chase his opponent.

He pretty much does that in the anime against Freeza's 2nd form.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why, exactly, are the blue bricks for the original Dragon Ball 100% fine but the DBZ orange bricks are cropped and sort of blurry?

Like, they're dirt cheap and have the Faulconer score so they're not terrible but jesus, Funi.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Including Goku.

His heart was just not in it.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

BattleCattle posted:

Which reminds me, would a scouter work on an android?

It depends, did the farmer at the start of DBZ have his power level increased by his shotgun?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

I'm fine with the orange bricks. I'm not looking for perfection, just being able to see the story in any form. with out censoring edits or cut scenes.

Every single scene on the orange bricks is about 20% cut. The cropping was done by computer with no regard given to framing.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Why, exactly, are the blue bricks for the original Dragon Ball 100% fine but the DBZ orange bricks are cropped and sort of blurry?

Like, they're dirt cheap and have the Faulconer score so they're not terrible but jesus, Funi.

They got so many complaints about the cropping and DNR done on the orange bricks that they left the Blue and Green ones at 4:3. The only reason the latter orange ones aren't better is so that the entire DBZ release is consistent.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Including Goku.

Goku is not a smart man.

In Xenoverse, because of time fuckery, when Vegeta becomes an Oozaru, Krillin slices off his tail with a kienzan, it's awesome. Even way back as a kid I always liked Krillin.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Krillin is the real protagonist of DBZ. I'm pretty sure he actually gets more overall screen time than Goku.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

jivjov posted:

Every single scene on the orange bricks is about 20% cut. The cropping was done by computer with no regard given to framing.

Not that kind of cut. I guess I meant removed scenes. I can live with the cropping until they make another set without it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Including Goku.

Goku forgets he has that move constantly though. Up to and including right after he uses it(alright i've teleported the about-to-explode Cell, better have a conversation with King Kai rather than grabbing him and immediately teleporting again)

Then again it's possible that Cell was about to explode a millisecond after the teleport since it's also been proven that time stops when people have to give out exposition.

on Krillin: he's why I'm a human in Xenoverse. Anyone can shoot planet-destroying death beams, I'm down here with the common man getting the poo poo beat out of me until Goku shows up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

Not that kind of cut. I guess I meant removed scenes. I can live with the cropping until they make another set without it.

Yeah, I knew what you meant..I was just being snarky because I'm really just appalled that they thought they could get away with "hey guys, look, we made it wide screen by removing half the goddamn content"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Yinlock posted:

Goku forgets he has that move constantly though. Up to and including right after he uses it(alright i've teleported the about-to-explode Cell, better have a conversation with King Kai rather than grabbing him and immediately teleporting again)

Then again it's possible that Cell was about to explode a millisecond after the teleport since it's also been proven that time stops when people have to give out exposition.

on Krillin: he's why I'm a human in Xenoverse. Anyone can shoot planet-destroying death beams, I'm down here with the common man getting the poo poo beat out of me until Goku shows up.

Does Goku ever do more than a short leap around the area he's in quickly though? I feel like every time he uses the Instant Transmission to go anywhere any distance away he stands still for like 10 seconds focusing on a ki signature. WHich is pretty abysmal when it comes to usability in battle since these are people who were throwing like 20 punches in a second like 15 years back .

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nothing in Dragon Ball is "real time" unless there's a crowd or a regular dude there watching (and Mr. Satan doesn't count). The only time a crowd is watching and anyone actually sees them fight in the manga is when there's a tournament and they play things up for the crowd. And even then, the crowd is seeing results more than actions.

The anime kind of forgets this a lot but the manga doesn't. So, whenever they do anything that looks like it takes a while, assume it's happening from their perspective and is actually a picosecond.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Does ki manipulation allow you to say words faster?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pureauthor posted:

Talking is a free action

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Superman is always talking in space. Think about that for a minute. He also hears a bullet being shot across the country and flies over to save someone before it hits. Think about how long that sound would take to reach him.

(Fiction writers ALWAYS forget about how sound works for some reason)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think they forget, I think they just stop giving a poo poo because dialogue is more important than scientific accuracy when you're writing a comic about an alien in his underwear punching space satan.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Endorph posted:

I don't think they forget, I think they just stop giving a poo poo because dialogue is more important than scientific accuracy when you're writing a comic about an alien in his underwear punching space satan.

I can't tell if you're referring to Superman or DBZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To be honest, unless scientific accuracy is stated goal of your work, you're probably going to ignore it. I'm not saying that's right in every circumstance, I'm just saying that's often the case.

• Locked thread