Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

It's times like this where I wish I took these weekends off.
I know a bunch of guys who play in 6 events during the prerelease weekends and I find that absolutely insane.

I can barely do two. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The nearest prelease is an hour drive from where I am right now, and can drive neither legally nor physically. Having very recent screws in your tibia sucks, especially if you're staying somewhere without an LGS and public transit because of it. :(

Count Bleck posted:

It's times like this where I wish I took these weekends off.
I know a bunch of guys who play in 6 events during the prerelease weekends and I find that absolutely insane.

I can barely do two. :v:

I did three for FRF, the midnight, and two on Sunday. Skipped Saturday morning and evening cos I slept in after the midnighter and had a shift that night.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
drat, I've only ever done one flight at a time. I wish I had the time to dedicate an entire weekend to doing 6 prereleases.

Off topic, does anyone know if you can still preorder a box to get the buy-a-box promo? I know it's not technically released until next week, but I'm also not sure if that "promo" is only good leading up to the prerelease, or if it differs by store.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Did a midnight pre last night going Kolaghan (as I have the entire block w Mardu). Went 2-1 for second overall for 3 more prize boosters. My promo was Blood-Chin dude (sacs other warriors to drain) and my FRF pack had Mardu Strike Leader so I went Warrior Tribal with a small blue splash for a few dragons and Ojutais Exemplars (3/1 flying mega morphs). I actually ended up with all but 1 on-color rare which was awesome.

My only round loss was to the 1st place player who opened Dragonlord Dromoka and Sarkhan.

I wish I had my prize packs in my pool, though, as I opened a foil Thunderbreak Regent, Kologhans Command, Dragonlord Kologhan, and an Atarkas Command.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

InterrupterJones posted:

Off topic, does anyone know if you can still preorder a box to get the buy-a-box promo? I know it's not technically released until next week, but I'm also not sure if that "promo" is only good leading up to the prerelease, or if it differs by store.

My understanding is that it's good up until your LGS sells enough boxes that they run out of promo cards.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
My midnight prerelease was pretty good. Went Silumgar, but although my black was pretty good, featuring the Deathbringer Regent as the rare and good cards like Rakshasa Gravecaller and Corpseweft, my blue was super mediocre. My white had two good rares in Sunscorch Regent and Dragonscale General, but the white cards were super aggressive, featuring a lot of 1 and 2 drops I didn't want to run in Sealed. My green had dudes, but was interestingly marked by a whole 4 copies of Aerie Bowmasters. I decided to play BG with the option of siding into BW if I really needed to. The deck performed well, with the star cards being the Bowmasters, of course, and Corpseweft, which won me just about every game I cast it in. I only sided into BW in one match, against a very aggressive RB deck with a lot of dashing and the 5/3 Pitiless Horde; I thought I needed all the early drops to keep my opponent off balance and block. I went 4-0-1 in total, going to turns in my second round thanks to an exceptionally grindy game 1. Even though Corpseweft wins games pretty easily, it does so very slowly. Then we cut to top 8, agreed to split, and I got 10 packs. A pretty good experience on the whole, given that my pool was lacking in obvious bomby dragons.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Went a soul crushing 2-2 with a super sick pool that featured promo Ghost Waifu Anafenza, OG dromoka, foil citadel siege, elite scaleguard, and a decent assortment of DTK GW midrange dudes. My shuffle game must be off because I was drawing like garbage all night until I hit the 1-2 table at the end of the night, at which point my deck decided to go all :metal101: and let me curve out Anafenza > 3/3 counter mover dude > Citadel Siege > Dromoka > Elite Scaleguard. Going back for another round of GW at noon to see if I can redeem my shame with a more mediocre pool.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Bolster was pretty underwhelming in FRF because it was just kinda tacked on here and there. But playing a GW deck in the prerelease where almost every creature or spell had bolster on it, I realized the mechanic is sweet as hell. It's fine as just a value play of "my dude gets biggerer!" but also rewards good decision making like proper spell sequencing and trading off creatures to focus your counters. When your opponent needs to start chumping your Sandsteppe Outcast spirit token with dragon monuments, you know you've arrived.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I went 2-2 with BR. My pool had no real bombs, but really every time I actually drew my colours (:argh:) I did well due to all the excellent removal I was packing (Ultimate Price, Flatten, Sarkhan's Rage, 2x Roast, Tail Slash). 0 losses to bomb dragons at least.

In terms of good pulls I got Collected Company, Zurgo plus most of the more common red cards I wanted (3 Dragon Fodder, 3 Roast, 1 Magmatic Chasm). Could've gone worse.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 21, 2015

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Placed first 5-0 out of some 25 at the local tiny LGS.

Took a Dromoka pack, ended up building in those colours, using 2 hidden dragonslayers, Daghatar - who I've despised pulling in the past yet carried his weight - and most notably a pair of Conifer Striders. Add few other counter-generating creatures, as well as Avatar of the Resolute to trigger off them. This, mixed with a generous array of fight-night and semi-protecion cards served to carry me easily enough through every game that came up.
Most notable matchups were against a blue-black deck focused around Corpseweft, which is absolutely hilarious as a card - where Tread Upon, a singleton of mine, swung through for surprise-lethal using one of my voltroned Striders, and my otherwise-beefier creatures could force trade after trade until the graveyard was emptied of zombie fodder.
Finals was against a cute Atarka deck, which revolved around flooding the board with efficient creatures and a few good removals, but again fell victim to the striders they could not kill, and a rather consistent supply of my fight cards and lifelinkers. Of note here: Mob Rule did win my opponent the second round, swinging for some 23 damage after stealing 3 of my creatures. Epic Confrontation proved excellent here as both a removal and protective card.

Prize packs of course had nothing of value. I believe the single money card pulled at the store was a Sarkhan.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 21, 2015

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Never doing another midnight pre. Also, my pool was trash both monetarily and MTGily.

My prerelease promo was a foil Atarka's Command, however, which seems pretty neat to get. Are those promo foils ever worth anything like the real foil?

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

ShaneB posted:

Never doing another midnight pre. Also, my pool was trash both monetarily and MTGily.

My prerelease promo was a foil Atarka's Command, however, which seems pretty neat to get. Are those promo foils ever worth anything like the real foil?

Generally the pre-release foil is worth more than a normal non foil but a bit less than a pack foil.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

sdr782 posted:

Generally the pre-release foil is worth more than a normal non foil but a bit less than a pack foil.

That's pretty good for a modern playable card, then.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Aranan posted:

Also being printed in a dead language. RIP, Kavu Furens.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

4-1 at my prerelease for 6 packs, would have easily been 4-0 split for 13 packs except I punted insanely hard in Round 4. Game 3, vs. Kolaghan opponent, he's at 4 with the 2/2 imp and 2 cards in hand and I'm at 7. I have Sidisi, face up Marsh Hulk, and a manifest, and my hand has Flatten, the 2/1 flash flyer, and the Exploit drain for 2 guy. I play none of them. He attacks with his imp. I do nothing, going to 5. He plays the 2 damage to self Lava Axe and burns me out. I had not seen it in either prior game so I wasn't playing around it, but I had an assload of mana free, what the gently caress was I playing around? I should have just Flattened his dude, or drained him on my turn and still had mana up to counter a creature spell or flatten a dude. I was salty about that for a while after.

Anyways, my deck:
1 Sidisi, Undead Vizier
1 Pristine Skywise
2 Flatten
1 Sibsig Muckdraggers
1 Pacifism
1 Soulflayer
1 Qarsi Sadist
1 Ruthless Deathfang
1 Dutiful Attendant
1 Youthful Scholar
1 Hand of Silumgar
1 Marsh Hulk
1 Sultai Emissary
1 Coat with Venom
2 Monastery Loremaster
1 Palace Familiar
1 Douse in Gloom
1 Vulturous Aven
1 Silumgar Sorceror
1 Ultimate Price
1 Scoured Barrens
2 Plains
8 Swamp
7 Island

One of the best sealed decks I ever played, and also one of the most fun to play. The decision trees are insanely complex. I LOVE Silumgar.

One guy in my store had promo Myth Realized, a pack Dragonlord Ojutai, and a pack Ugin. He did poorly and got only 3 prize packs, one of which had Narset.

EDIT: Sidisi is the real deal and made the difference every single game where I found her. Even Round 5 when I had to exploit her to herself that immediately made the difference in winning or losing the game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

It's so pretty. :allears:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

When am I going to get a playable collection of cards again? I've had the worst luck. gently caress sealed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ShaneB posted:

Something WOTC figured out a long time ago is that players don't care about the foiling process itself in the least. But they DO care about scarcity. You can guess what that means.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Haven't you heard, Modern sucks and no one loves it

From a page back but this is true

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pinwiz11 posted:

When am I going to get a playable collection of cards again? I've had the worst luck. gently caress sealed.

Sealed is and was pack wars to the extreme. Unfortunately, that's just how it is.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Something WOTC figured out a long time ago is that players don't care about the foiling process itself in the least. But they DO care about scarcity. You can guess what that means.

Plenty of people go bonkers for foils. Especially the type of person who only plays EDH.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Plenty of people go bonkers for foils. Especially the type of person who only plays EDH.

I know a guy who does this and it is weird. Also because I can't understand just playing EDH.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Fiend Computer posted:

I know a guy who does this and it is weird. Also because I can't understand just playing EDH.

EDH is a game, MTG is a contest/competition?

EDH, the goal is to do big fun things, Magic the goal is to reduce your opponent's life to zero.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Fiend Computer posted:

I can't understand [...] playing EDH.

Agreed.

Gensuki posted:

EDH is a game, MTG is a contest/competition?

EDH, the goal is to do big fun things, Magic the goal is to reduce your opponent's life to zero.

You're playing Magic wrong.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Don't let's get into this big anti-EDH, pro-EDH skub argument. It never ends well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's still mostly scarcity.

Remember the Premium Deck series and the special Alara foil packs? Turns out people weren't willing to pay premium prices for premium cards when they weren't actually rare.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Veyrall posted:

Don't let's get into this big anti-EDH, pro-EDH skub argument. It never ends well.

Well that's because being against EDH requires you to 1) not want big cool hunky legends and 2) care too much about how other people are having fun, both of which are really stupid positions to take.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Veyrall posted:

it's pre-release weekend, so let's talk about EDH for the millionth time

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

From a page back but this is true

No... it can't be... :(

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sorry everyone for making a super serious comment about how I'm super mad irl about EDH I didn't mean to offend anyone in this forums thread and consider you all good personal friends.

Angry Grimace posted:

It's still mostly scarcity.

Remember the Premium Deck series and the special Alara foil packs? Turns out people weren't willing to pay premium prices for premium cards when they weren't actually rare.

Well they have to be good playable cards too. Some of those premium deck cards are pretty valuable because they're foil. I think.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sotar posted:

No... it can't be... :(

Sorry bud. 100 card singleton is the one true format.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Whooooo

Second ever pre release and I finished 2nd out of 30ish people :D

Best ever, while we were setting up for the top 8 the pity packs were handed out and I happened to pull A GOD drat FOIL SARKAHN!!!!

My sick black red deck was a god drat superstar and the hero of the day was the dude who dashes, gives himself +2/+2 and also gives anything else that comes in after him +2/+2, he was a loving power house.

10/10 would play again

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

RIP five color aka the best format.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Sorry bud. 100 card singleton is the one true format.

THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sotar posted:

THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

:allears:

Did you end up deciding on Junk or Jund? I'm thinking about throwing Jund back together until I get the foil Tarns I need to have a 60 card deck again. I'll definitely be jamming a Thundermaw or 2; it's the Lava Axe that keeps on Lava Axing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I did poorly, but had a bunch of fun w/ Silumgar. Exploit is a really skill testing mechanic. You often have to think multiple turns ahead about creature sequencing, and whether the creature is worth more than the exploit-spell. I got flooded a few times, but I think I could've squeezed out a win or two more w/ better play.

Balancing enablers and exploiters is another tricky thing with the mechanic and I think I got it slightly wrong (should have had one more enabler).

The 3/6 Rakshasha was an unsurprising powerhouse. The zombie tokens it made drove the exploit train to inevitability. I don't think I lost a single game after exploiting w/ it.

Another was the mythic Raptor. I had no fixing, but I threw in a single forest and boy did he perform. One game I had him reanimated 4 times. End of turn unmorph something, return him, untap, attack unblocked, sac him to exploit. Rinse and repeat. It was glorious.

Mystic Meditation ("thirst for creatures") played pretty well too. Exploit let's you overload on creatures a little bit, so I usually didn't have trouble w/ discarding one, and in long game you don't mind getting rid of lands.

It may have been my particular build, but I was surprised as how tempo-y the deck felt, despite the distinct controlling elements.

Silumgar Sorcerer was probably my favorite creature. Real powerful value card, and I think I lost a few games by misplaying it.

Bolster felt like my biggest enemy. It was often the difference between a clear board and a very annoying threat that soon got out of control.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

:allears:

Did you end up deciding on Junk or Jund? I'm thinking about throwing Jund back together until I get the foil Tarns I need to have a 60 card deck again. I'll definitely be jamming a Thundermaw or 2; it's the Lava Axe that keeps on Lava Axing.

Yeah, I went Junk. I am loving it. Lingering Souls with Gavony Township is such a beating.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Oh and choosing one of the top 4 cards, after drawing 2 does indeed feel splendid!

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Went 4-0 with a very nice Silumgar pool. Got the make an x/x zombie enchantment, the assassin, and the bounce creatures your opponents controls exploit guy. Exploit was really fun to use as positioning your guys to die for a greater effect after a few turns works out real nice depending on the effect.

The exploit aven was a guy that I was always hoping to see as losing a small guy/2 life to get a few cards, and a flier was always worth it, and the profaner of the dead was just an absolute beating when it went off. It also helped that I had two of the blue rebound make a 2/2 flier as I wasn't sure of them coming into the prerelease, but I was never sad to play them as they gave me four power worth of flying as well as being exploitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I picked Silumgar and my packs had a Narset and Ojutai, SoW. I had no fixing outside of a single BU lifegain land. Went esper anyways with two plains as cards 41 & 42. After an awful start wherein I could not ever draw a spell to affect the game state let alone save my life, I rode my Deathbringer Regent/Ojutai wombo combo to steady wins. I opened up nothing of interest in my packs and scored a friggin' 17 on dice bowling, but I did manage to trade for a full set of the prerelease dice and a rakdos die that I had wanted since I saw it, so that's rad. All in all, a good day!

Special shout-out to the really really butthurt dude I played who "has been playing since alpha" and was just so mad that creatures are playable these days and that 1-2 mana removal spells aren't printed in every set at common. Your yu-gi-oh comments every time I played anything with power >2 were a joy to listen to, as well as your notable change in candor when I told you I had been playing for 16 years. :allears:

• Locked thread