Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Firstborn posted:

I've been searching everywhere, and I can't seem to find Molly.
Molly.
Molly.
:smith:

Tyga is the greatest rapper of this generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. wonderful is excellent

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

I'm not sure I agree that the albums I mentioned were any less/more exceptional than this one. Like when PE was doing their thing, you had dudes like Brand Nubian, X-Clan, Tribe, Jungle Brothers, etc. Same with NWA where you also had Ice-T and Spice 1 and others hitting many of the same points. What's Going On was unique in a Motown context and paved the way for dudes like Stevie to get more creative control and branch out from the hit factory stuff, but there was dudes outside of that area who were definitely making more socially conscious/protest songs. And I do think that Kendrick's album has a shot at being if not quite up there, at least close. Even if his message isn't 100% unique, I do think the way the album's presented and unfolds is, especially in the current rap climate.

Very true, but you'd have to agree that Brand Nubian, X-Clan, Jungle Brothers were all very much more under the radar and could only dream of having the reception and range that Kendrick commands. I also think that those artists are much more appreciated now than they were then. Tribe was much more successful than the rest but Midnight Marauders probably is the best selling album that wasn't a part of the 90's wave of rap popularity. Kendrick is blessed to have the ability to say what he's saying and do what he's doing but it's not a tremendously unique in message or delivery. Not the first spoken word, not the first mashing of Jazz and Soul in an album and while I guess he's the first to talk to Pac directly on a track since his death, Cole did much of the same in "Let Nas Down" and that got a direct remix response from Nas himself making it a similar trope. I'm not even going to touch Motown, that's a whole other thread!

alansmithee posted:

I can't really argue anything you said about how the album sounds, because even though I don't mind or think many of the things you mentioned work, they obviously don't for you. And tbh I think I even mentioned earlier that you could likely trim 10-15 minutes and get a better listening experience so you're not offbase at all. As an aside though I do think a lot of those things (the poem reciting/spoken word pieces, oftentimes wildly different production styles, etc) are the things that make the album unique and make it stand out more. And for whatever it's worth, some people seem to like all the stuff that's thrown around the rapping on the album.

I think those things can work, just not where and when he's got them in the album. The flow of the album changes so drastically from tracks 1-4, and U to I feels like a totally different album. The stretch of Hood Politics to The Blacker the Berry feels like a totally different album. Give me 2 CD's and i'm golden, its how i'm used to my rap epics anyway. I break down the sections of listening into two stretches anyway, couldn't hurt to have it in that format.

alansmithee posted:

And I do think Kendrick's a better rapper than both Common & Lupe (even at their primes, although Lupe's close), but that being said it's something that's definitely debatable. And also I think you're 100% right that Lupe and Common's respective albums should've gotten way more praise than they did-especially Common's which I think directly dealt with a lot more of the same exact thing's Kendrick's doing. Although I think it kinda supports your argument that the album's being judged on more than just the music because Common and Lupe were both Kendrick in the past but didn't deliver on whatever people expected from them so they're ignored much more (and in Common's case, just fell right the gently caress off for about 2 decades). I also do think that the stuff Kendrick's done is more "attractive" to the internet commentator/blogger types with the more throwback sounds, as well as the fact that I do think he speaks more to actual black empowerment and race issues directly than Common or Lupe did (they obviously addressed them, but it was often through the lens of something that afflicts the black community or something rather than like, King Kunta).

Agree to disagree here on the first part, Kendrick sometimes slumps into a very lazy and uncharacteristic flow and cadence and it happens a couple times even on this album. In an effort to speed up his tempo and showcase his prowess he can over complicate simple rap concepts and the beat at spots. He's not the only rapper who does it, but the more experienced rappers like Em and Big Sean are much more polished in the delivery.

Also, I totally agree with what you and Temple's criticism about Common, he even turns me off sometimes but he's at the very least Kendrick's spiritual successor. Kendrick is totally more "attractive" to a certain type of commentator and blogger, whereas a Common or Nas or a Yasiin Bey were much more polarizing when they came out. I also disagree with the Lupe part, he's a lot farther along and it shows in his rapping ability and even though you say in his prime I think Lupe is rapping his best right now.

Our biggest disagreement is probably that I wouldn't use King Kunta as an example of Kendrick speaking of the Black community, it's not the best example of that. First the track itself a pretty shockingly lazy and empty name call of a very easily identifiable movie character in order to draw you in (Kunta was a real person but most people know of his character only from Roots and that story was lifted almost in whole from a completely fictional work, think of it as more folklore than anything) if you consider that the song's sole purpose is for Kendrick to let you know how badly he's got the game on lock and how many rappers he has surpassed it doesn't say much about the Black community at all. The Black the Berry is probably the best example of talking directly to the audience about the ills of the community, especially in the third verse, it's much more apt as a discussion focus track.

Essentially it's not you that I disagree with or even that your opinions differ than mine, as long as it's coming from a place where it's two different directions of Rap appreciation it's cool. I'd consider you fairly well versed in the art where I feel like some of these bigger outlets who's sole job is to evaluate music havn't 1) listened to the music all that well and 2) have been missing the point and importance/significance of other works for a long time. It's the same thing with the radio and putting so much value on strip club based and more trap type music.

50 Cent is much better at explaining this phenomenon and how music has trended than I, this is a really good watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLFMCQnQZkA

alansmithee posted:

And fwiw Kanye drat near does get 10/10 for everything he does (I even joked that pitchfork was gonna save their 10 for Kanye's album before). His abrasive celebrity stuff even helps feed into his genius rep because not only do dudes discuss his music but how it fits in with his personality and psyche and stuff. Dude's gotten near universal acclaim for his albums.

As for your last point, one one hand I do kinda agree but on the other, the fact that this album is getting this kinda discussion (while actually being good) makes me think that just maybe there's something there. Like how I personally think Illmatic is amazing and whatever, but think it's maybe only one of a whole bunch of great music from that time (some of which I'd consider better), that's still the album that is always the first thing people mention from that period and use as a critical barometer.

And as an aside, I was pretty much saying the same stuff you did about the D'angelo album (I remember getting shouted down on Facebook for suggesting that he wasn't the greatest Neo-soul dude ever, and that maybe people wouldn't like the album so much if they hadn't waited 10 years to check in again on R&B but that's a whole other discussion).

Yeah Kendrick at the very least got us to talk about his album, but I think that would have happened no matter what considering the level of buzz around it. This "leak" seems very calculated and borrows from Drake's mixtape and the equation that those type of surprise releases have brought recently. It's a smart move one way or another, I can't fault the business acumen and attention to detail from trends, tbh.

alansmithee posted:

Because the Internet is a really amazing instrumental album, I'll say that much.

I've actually kinda grown to like Fantano's reviews simply because he does seem to try to stick mostly to the music (even when I don't agree). Noz is good at that too the rare times he actually reviews anything (although he often seems...burned out? something idk).

And I don't see the response being "racism over" (that was the obama election), most of the stuff I've read has focused on how the album is pointing at the very deep race issues still here. I DO see the reaction being "wow, racism is still here and bad, I'm aware now" and then dudes patting themselves on the back for being "aware" while not actually addressing any of the issues or whatever.

This is extremely ironic, especially in light of the study I read like 2 weeks ago saying how younger people are growing more tolerant of racism.

A lot of the reviews on and off the internet honestly read as a very guilty apologist effort and I don't think many outlets are going to have the nuts to be honest about this album at all. The wave has begun and this is going to win...all..the...Grammys. Then they can point back to Macklemore texting Kendrick that he should have won and didn't and all will be right with the world while at the same time keep glossing over great albums and artists in the Rap categories.

And to what Ferg said...he's not completely off base at least with the last part.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 21, 2015

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
King Kunta is literally The Payback. Kendrick gives it away when he says "I can dig rapping". But still, I respect it because its hiphop paying respect to its influences.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

Mr. wonderful is excellent

i wish the last third was executed better tbh but everything up to baby blue gave me feelings

good debut album.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I know it goes without saying but the new death grips album is total poo poo so let's have no more talk of that

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

atrus50 posted:

i wish the last third was executed better tbh but everything up to baby blue gave me feelings

good debut album.

Yeah, I'm probably nostalgic because Bronson was the first guy I've really followed from nothing to mainstream. It's a weird feeling.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

the_american_dream posted:

Feel free to start a topic people give a gently caress about!

Tupac was an inside job.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

UoI posted:

Tupac was an inside job.

Did you see Suge Knight? That's some magic bullet poo poo right there, 2 shooters in the courtroom

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Feel free to start a topic people give a gently caress about!
What do you think Kendrick's favorite Radiohead album is?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Future dropped another tape http://www.fashionably-early.com/2015/03/21/future-56-nights-mixtape/

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

holy gently caress diamonds from africa :stare:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
because the internet is pretty sick

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
in case you've been living in a cave for the past few weeks, here is a somewhat strange and, depending on how you look at it, disappointing song Earl Sweatshirt dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ5Mu2gs-M8

album out march 23rd

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMcrfXxlDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVR10CD2Alk
shlohmos album leaked a few days ago, its amazing of course. I dont really know if it counts as instrumental hip hop anymore but if you dont like it you dont deserve to have your opinion heard anyway. He has bones collabs in the works too, I can't wait.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

what does this have to do with kendrick ?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

what does this have to do with kendrick ?

who is Kendrick?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

screaden posted:

who is Kendrick?

Kendrick ain't poo poo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:holymoley: Now is really good

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

screaden posted:

who is Kendrick?

A young nigga from Compton on the curb writin raps next to a gun shot

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does Flocka have other songs where his voice sounds like it did on the track with future ? I've never heard him like that before.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does Flocka have other songs where his voice sounds like it did on the track with future ? I've never heard him like that before.

I think on some of the stuff off his I can't rap mixtape he's sounding more like that.

Also hoping that track's a good sign for Flockaveli 2

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Buttmeister posted:

in case you've been living in a cave for the past few weeks, here is a somewhat strange and, depending on how you look at it, disappointing song Earl Sweatshirt dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ5Mu2gs-M8

album out march 23rd
I like it, seems a little different than his older stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Also hoping that track's a good sign for Flockaveli 2

Yeah it was so good

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUFBZWero6M

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The "I cant rap" tape had a bunch of good Flockaveli-caliber raps i am pretty excited that Waka is trying again or whatever. Future is just killling the mixtape game.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I Can't Rap vol.1 was some of my favourite Flocka stuff

Also Mr. Wonderful is pretty good

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Yeah, this is definitely some of Flocka's finest. Hoping for more like this on his Flockaveli 2

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
A few pages back someone said the binary star album was the best rap album of the 2000's. But what about any of the run the jewels albums? Are they up there?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Probably not considering they didn't come out in the 2000s

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
So Canada is supposedly thinking about deporting J-Swift to Spain? The USA doesn't want him returned even though he's lived there since he was 2 and has a wife and four kids?
Can we just keep him and give custody to Drake if nobody else wants him?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The 2000s (aughts) were a poo poo period for music and pretty much everything in general it's not even worth thinking anout

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new Future :worship:

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

thathonkey posted:

The 2000s (aughts) were a poo poo period for music and pretty much everything in general it's not even worth thinking anout

this opinion is a joke

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

thathonkey posted:

Yo, we already have established that you have bad opinions, you don't need to keep trying to convince us.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Current interview with Charles Hamilton. I would give cliff notes but I haven't finished it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdLyZvOz0AE

I credit Charles Hamilton for single-handedly getting me back into hiphop and giving younger artists a chance.
He has better songs but this is the song that got it all started for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADB9nRGcclA

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

ol yeller posted:

this opinion is a joke

Literally, I think

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
seriously saying one thing is the best/worst out of a 10 year period is kind of dumb. saying that an entire 10 year period sucked should come across as obviously hyperbolic too but i guess not.

anyway i am loving the future tape,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzZxBBANam4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-S477VDkys

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 22, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Ok but even from 2010 on how does run the jewels stack up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

Ok but even from 2010 on how does run the jewels stack up

As artistic statements to be analyzed for years to come or whatever they're probably not that up that high, but for just really good fun music with a lot of replay value they're among the best.