Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

SiKboy posted:

Didnt we see him immediately post-terragenesis, bamf-ing around and being blind? Then Mrs Muad'dad (Mommad'dib?) came in and calmed him down.

He's blind, has powers and finds Inhumans but that's where the similarities end. Reader wasn't blinded by the terrigenesis but by the Inhuman leaders because he was too powerful and I doubt Gordon learned to read the word "Teleport" and only that word in braille within hours of losing his eyesight :v:

He's most likely just Gordon, Inhuman welcoming wagon and trenchcoat wearer. Imagine writing a character with the power to make real anything he reads for a TV show and a TV show budget, probably very difficult to get working. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong, the writers have earned my trust but I think it's unlikely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Martout posted:

He's blind, has powers and finds Inhumans but that's where the similarities end. Reader wasn't blinded by the terrigenesis but by the Inhuman leaders because he was too powerful and I doubt Gordon learned to read the word "Teleport" and only that word in braille within hours of losing his eyesight :v:

He's most likely just Gordon, Inhuman welcoming wagon and trenchcoat wearer. Imagine writing a character with the power to make real anything he reads for a TV show and a TV show budget, probably very difficult to get working. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong, the writers have earned my trust but I think it's unlikely!

Man that seems like there would be a lot of loopholes with that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

Punisher is a trash character though.

That's because he's a villain. He murders people because he can. The whole, "Boo hoo! My family was murdered! I must avenge them!" is just a convenient excuse. He was going to tell them he was leaving them at that picnic, so he was done a favor when they were killed.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Zythrst posted:

It's the power of Plot Convenience basically.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Martout posted:

It's the power of Plot Convenience basically.

Was every bad writer exposed to nuclear waste as a child?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
People don't need any kind of privileged childhood event to be bad writers. Most people are inherently bad writers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My guess for the Real SHIELD is that its made up of the bureucrats and others from Classic Shield. The people who were not Hydra but thought Project Insight was a good idea. The Cheney's of the MCU so to speak.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

My guess for the Real SHIELD is that its made up of the bureucrats and others from Classic Shield. The people who were not Hydra but thought Project Insight was a good idea. The Cheney's of the MCU so to speak.

I think I've accepted that it's going to be Nick Fury and a bunch of idiots that thought Project Insight was a great idea because the writers of this show have absolutely no self-awareness and you can't stop the machine, brother, but I hope you're right.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dan Didio posted:

I think I've accepted that it's going to be Nick Fury and a bunch of idiots that thought Project Insight was a great idea because the writers of this show have absolutely no self-awareness and you can't stop the machine, brother, but I hope you're right.

I really, really doubt its Fury. The people I imagine in charge of Real SHIELD would be the kind of people who would have thought Fury was too soft.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.
It's never ever ever going to happen, but I want the writers to go full on comic book mode and use material from Hickman's Shield series. The one with time travelling Da Vinci, immortal Nostradamus, rear end in a top hat Newton, cyborg Tesla etc.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kheldarn posted:

That's because he's a villain. He murders people because he can. The whole, "Boo hoo! My family was murdered! I must avenge them!" is just a convenient excuse. He was going to tell them he was leaving them at that picnic, so he was done a favor when they were killed.

I've often said as a character that he is effectively Jason Vorhees if he used massive amounts of ordnance and training, and his target was criminals instead of pot smoking teenagers. The MAX version slaps a layer of noir on top of that and seemed to be self-aware to all of this right up until Ennis left, then it promptly turned to pure poo poo.

twistedmentat posted:

Karl Urban as the Punisher that is a stealth Dredd 2.

Dredd's a good comparison and gently caress yes I'd watch a Punsiher movie with Karl Urban.

Actually that'd be an amusing crossover if they were both Marvel. The Punisher is technically breaking the law, but is probably just doing Dredd's job for him, right down to the over the top violence. They can be entertaining for precisely the same reasons.

MrJacobs posted:

I liked the Tom Jane Punisher. If it actually had money behind the film it would have been so much better, but that loving fight with Kevin Nash is awesome. Also Roy Schneider with "nail drivers".

Honestly it's a movie I could have liked a lot more if it wasn't a Punisher movie. Going through elaborate plots to gently caress with people's heads and make them kill each other in revenge isn't terrible, but it's not at all the character.

Really it's probably too late now but my first choice was always Stallone, in particular after the last Rambo. I like the still Vietnam era but old as hell now take on the character the best.

Oasx posted:

Ray Stevenson was the perfect Punisher, so there is no reason for Thomas Jane to sit by the phone all day, waiting for that call.

I will agree to that. The whole crew really seemed to care more in that film, but lacked execution. It felt like watching a highly ambitious Punisher fan film more than a movie.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 21, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I really, really doubt its Fury. The people I imagine in charge of Real SHIELD would be the kind of people who would have thought Fury was too soft.

That's what I hope, but I really, really doubt that Marvel got the memo, given their recent response to these sorts of self-referential, critical films and the content of what we've seen of Fury in Age of Ultron, I've got a real sinking feeling in my stomach they'll just completely blow over it in favour of more wacky, authoritarian Sam Jackson!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dan Didio posted:

Maybe he could be played by a good actor in a good show.

Sounds like Banshee to me!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's gonna be funny if it turns out that "The Real S.H.I.E.L.D" is run by the group of Inhumans that Reader/Gordon is a part of. Cal left the room last week, to go see whoever is in charge. This week, he's gonna walk into the room with the Real S.H.I.E.L.D. leaders...

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Dan Didio posted:

Stark and Hill or someone previously unnamed (EJO probs) seems more likely than Fury given Macks comments about the organisation rising from the wreckage Fury left. I got the impression "Real SHIELD" weren't fans of how Fury did things. Guess we'll see next week!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Martout posted:

Stark and Hill or someone previously unnamed (EJO probs) seems more likely than Fury given Macks comments about the organisation rising from the wreckage Fury left. I got the impression "Real SHIELD" weren't fans of how Fury did things. Guess we'll see next week!

I think Stark or Hill would be pretty much just as bad, given what they're doing in Age of Ultron. The whole idea of 'real shield' is so goddamn dumb I just can't see these guys spinning it into gold unless it's something completely out of the blue and brilliant, so I'm just snatching the most obvious bad thing out of the air, really. Hopefully they're on point with this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Deakul posted:

Sounds like Banshee to me!

It's alright, I'm completely willing to accept your apology after you've seen an episode of Banshee.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dan Didio posted:

It's alright, I'm completely willing to accept your apology after you've seen an episode of Banshee.

Deflecting the remark back towards you, since it's obvious you've never watched it in your life. :smug:

edit: What are we talking about anyways? Banshee is a legit fantastic series and it does share some similarities to what I'd imagine a Punisher series to be like: ultra violence, snarky characters, lots of guns and explosions, and ridiculous villains.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 21, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Oasx posted:

Ray Stevenson was the perfect Punisher, so there is no reason for Thomas Jane to sit by the phone all day, waiting for that call.

Stevenson was great, but I liked Jane more.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Gonna say that the "real SH.I.E.L.D." is just a Hydra operation to lure in S.H.I.E.L.D. agents/supporters in an attempt to do evil bad guy stuff with/to them.

Sounds like the easiest thing for the writers to do, but would love to see where they decide to take this.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ApeHawk posted:

Gonna say that the "real SH.I.E.L.D." is just a Hydra operation to lure in S.H.I.E.L.D. agents/supporters in an attempt to do evil bad guy stuff with/to them.

This makes literally zero sense.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I just remembered what Mua'dad's disappointment outburst reminded me of:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
For me, it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R97TsVDC1BY

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think its Hydra because I feel they've clearly said in the show "hydra is done...for now".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Shield 2.0 could have the missing terregenesis obelisks though

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Zythrst posted:

Yeah, also, couldn't Reader just read braille stating, "and then Reader's eyes grew back and he could see again," instead of persisting as blind? Or is it a duty thing where he's accepted it.

I support not using that character, because it instantly introduces this untenable deus ex machina into any story. Like characters who can "manipulate chance," and can thus make the chance an enemy quantum fluxes into a beach ball 100%.

Dr. Manhattan is the only time a godlike superhero powerset has been well-used in a story I've read.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xealot posted:

Yeah, also, couldn't Reader just read braille stating, "and then Reader's eyes grew back and he could see again," instead of persisting as blind? Or is it a duty thing where he's accepted it.

I support not using that character, because it instantly introduces this untenable deus ex machina into any story. Like characters who can "manipulate chance," and can thus make the chance an enemy quantum fluxes into a beach ball 100%.

Dr. Manhattan is the only time a godlike superhero powerset has been well-used in a story I've read.

Thing is, he can work fine in a limited-run, limited-scope comic, because it's being written by a single author with total control of the story. He doesn't have to worry about Reader potentially causing trouble to the plot, because he can carefully craft every aspect of it so that's not an issue. Same reason Manhattan worked, same reason a character with Reader's powers wouldn't work on a TV show.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't see what's inherently wrong with SHIELD having multiple successor organizations, being a highly compartmentalized global agency and all.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Calling it now: It's not SHIELD, it's SEALED, and the member all have lateral lisps.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

greatn posted:

Shield 2.0 could have the missing terregenesis obelisks though

We know reader has at least one of them though. I'm working on the assumption that the Inhumans have all of the surviving obelisks, and that (unknown to all the non-inhumans) simply have taken to doing the terragenesis somewhere else so the wrecked temple/city where Skye and Raina were exposed are disused. I'm basing this on the fact we saw eyeless with one of the obelisks in his apartment and that in the flashback to his terragenesis he was in the same recovery room that they were keeping muad'dad in this week, which therefore must not be in the city that shield blew up/flooded.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Real SHIELD is staffed entirely by Koenigs. Bobbi and Mack are the only non-Koenig members.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Real SHIELD is staffed entirely by Koenigs. Bobbi and Mack are the only non-Koenig members.

They are both actually Koenigs but with extensive cosmetic surgery to allow them to go undercover.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

SiKboy posted:

We know reader has at least one of them though. I'm working on the assumption that the Inhumans have all of the surviving obelisks, and that (unknown to all the non-inhumans) simply have taken to doing the terragenesis somewhere else so the wrecked temple/city where Skye and Raina were exposed are disused. I'm basing this on the fact we saw eyeless with one of the obelisks in his apartment and that in the flashback to his terragenesis he was in the same recovery room that they were keeping muad'dad in this week, which therefore must not be in the city that shield blew up/flooded.

They really only need one. Didn't the crystals grow?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Soylentbits posted:

They really only need one. Didn't the crystals grow?

I'm not over familiar with the inhumans in the comics (I'm a comics fan, but just not inhumans or X-men outside of when they cross over with the comics I do read), and I'm slightly reluctant to drag real life science into discussion of something like this for what I hope are obvious reasons (because superhero fiction includes things which violate fundemental sciencentific principles as a basic convention of the genre), but I'd argue that from what we see in the show so far the crystals dont grow (at least on earth). The two we have seen have been pretty much identical (probably just used the same prop), and the box they came from had 6 slots that looked, if not identical, very very similar. Maybe if you took one into an area where the material that makes up the crystal is abundant (for example in the form of some sort of mist) then the crystals would be seed crystals and would grow as more material crystalises around them, but without that I wouldnt expect them to grow. And if you could grow more of the crystals on earth then it wouldnt make a lot of sense to be so worried about the box which is supposed to have 6 in it.

But as I say, real world science is less important in fiction that made up science that drives the story, so of course next week it might be revealed that you can make new crystals with a handful of materials from a childs chemistry set and 3 drops of Skyes blood or something. It just seems like what we have seen so far leads more to "The Inhumans took possession of the 6 terragen crystals on earth and over the years lost one which the Nazis/Hydra found" rather than anything else, so until something comes up in the show which contradicts that I'm just going to assume that the inhumans currently have all the crystals which are in play on earth.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
:lol: at SHIELD giving nail file woman giant metal gloves instead of cutting them off. This show is so stupid.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

:lol: at SHIELD giving nail file woman giant metal gloves instead of cutting them off. This show is so stupid.

Yeah, what exactly was her deal? All of a sudden screaming "END THIS NOW," too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope the 10-Eyed-Man will be in Arrow or The Flash soon. He is an ex-Special Forces guy who is blind but can see using all 10 of this finger tips. Apparently this makes him so incredibly dangerous that in jail they had to lock metal shackles over his hands.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Irish Joe posted:

She worked in the adamantium test lab it was in the exacto blade division.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
S.H.I.E.L.D. was an organization that made no sense and was primarily a big bag of plot convenience even before the big Hydra reveal. No one knows we exist, but we have this big gleaming academy campus and evidently the recruiting pipeline to fill it. . We have this recruiting and training establishment, but we'll also randomly pick up black hat hackers, make them members, and train them entirely in the field (as long as they're cute and mysterious). There's a secret security level no one knows about but oh look now it seems like practically every upper-level person but Coulson has it. Some of our Listed Scary People are locked up in a prison that is somehow secret despite being in what appears to be a major urban area, but others are left to show off their weird punishment-gloves in an average Chicago (I'm guessing?) apartment building. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tarquinn posted:

I just remembered what Mua'dad's disappointment outburst reminded me of:

Evil Hercules? (What's that from?)

• Locked thread