Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I thought of a pretty critical flaw the apple watch (or any smart watch) might pose.

Say you're doing whatever and don't want to fish your phone out of your pocket and just want to take a peek at your watch instead. If you're carrying a cup of coffee or something in your non-watch hand then you pretty much can't do anything on the watch that requires touch input. At least with your phone you can hold and use it with the same hand. The watch may give you quicker access but it requires two handed use in every demonstration so far.

You'll be able to use voice commands to dictate text and look certain things up but using the crown will be impossible unless you have two free hands. Kind of a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Saw this and was like wait what

"The Apple watch is a planned obsolescence at around 1 year maximum life.

Simply put, li-ion battery's are limited in the number of charges they can handle. If you only half use it and then charge, that counts as a half charge. Well, Pebble might get charged quite often at small amounts and far less often, but the Apple watch is going to be near completely depleted EVERY day. Couple this with the expected lifespan of a li-ion battery at 300-500 charges, and you find that ONE YEAR later you've pretty much used up the Apple watches battery life! Of course they plan to offer a crazy expensive battery replacement option. But the fact it the design is intended to last only about a year."

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I thought of a pretty critical flaw the apple watch (or any smart watch) might pose.

Say you're doing whatever and don't want to fish your phone out of your pocket and just want to take a peek at your watch instead. If you're carrying a cup of coffee or something in your non-watch hand then you pretty much can't do anything on the watch that requires touch input. At least with your phone you can hold and use it with the same hand. The watch may give you quicker access but it requires two handed use in every demonstration so far.

You'll be able to use voice commands to dictate text and look certain things up but using the crown will be impossible unless you have two free hands. Kind of a bummer.

You tuck the coffee into your elbow, holding it close to your body.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to triple wield coffee cup, robo-cock, and iPhone.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Apple Thumb Ring will solve the problem of needing to two hand the watch. It will allow you to navigate your watch with a single curled index finger so you can interface with your phone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

Put the coffee in your watch hand :v:

But yeah it's something I noticed with the Fuel Band I had a while back, which required the button press to even see the time. Voice and the immediate glance stuff is important for that reason.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Simply put, li-ion battery's are limited in the number of charges they can handle. If you only half use it and then charge, that counts as a half charge. Well, Pebble might get charged quite often at small amounts and far less often, but the Apple watch is going to be near completely depleted EVERY day. Couple this with the expected lifespan of a li-ion battery at 300-500 charges, and you find that ONE YEAR later you've pretty much used up the Apple watches battery life! Of course they plan to offer a crazy expensive battery replacement option. But the fact it the design is intended to last only about a year."
Lifespan isn't necessarily complete lifespan. Apple rates iPhones for 80% after 500 cycles, iPads and MacBooks after 1000, and I think considers them "consumed" after a year or past those cycle numbers. If nothing else it'll be interesting to see how much they rate the watch at, I guess lower cause the smaller size?

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Apple Thumb Ring will solve the problem of needing to two hand the watch. It will allow you to navigate your watch with a single curled index finger so you can interface with your phone.
It's actually meant to be worn near the tip of the thumb, so when you use the watch it looks like you're doing the money thing with your fingers.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

ShoogaSlim posted:

[...]

Use your nose, duh.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I actually do use my nose to activate my G Watch R for voice control sometimes. The screen, that is. I must look super cool doing it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Whatever. Enjoy your tech demo, nerds.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ShoogaSlim posted:

can't you use your coffee hand thumb?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A watch that requires a battery change? Well I never...

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Haggins posted:

A watch that requires a battery change? Well I never...

Every year ? Not user replaceable ? Right, keep sucking Apple's cock.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Every standard battery is consumable and they're going to lose part of their storage capacity.

How many times have you replaced your iPhone or laptop battery?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I charge my pebble every 6 days for almost 2 years also I can use any band with it.

Apple LOVES loving people. They don't HAVE to, but they love to.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

I charge my pebble every 6 days for almost 2 years also I can use any band with it.

Apple LOVES loving people. They don't HAVE to, but they love to.

Lol. Apple does not do as well as they do by loving people over. They arguably make the best products in the market and although they're not perfect they know what the gently caress they're doing.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Where do you get this bullshit from?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Spatule posted:

Every year ? Not user replaceable ? Right, keep sucking Apple's cock.

1. We don't know it's every year
2. Apple has said they will change the batteries in store. As for the cost, no one knows.

Even if it is every year I don't think it's a big deal to have to change it out at the Apple Store. Hell I take my Seiko to the mall to change the battery every couple years. The only potential issue might with the price. Personally, I think $50 or more would be pushing it.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Fiki posted:

Where do you get this bullshit from?

How charge cycles work in Lithium-Ion batteries is very well known, and what he said isn't far off the mark. Most Li-Ion batteries are rated for 300-500 full discharge/charge cycles, though that usually tend to be on the conservative side. Shallow discharge cycles will prolong the life at a non-linear relationship with full discharge cycles (50% discharge cycles will be rated for 1000-1500 cycles rather than 600-1000 for example), but nonetheless, if the battery in the Apple Watch needs to be charged every day and the user only does it once a day when it's nearly fully discharged, then there's a very good chance that at the one year mark the battery will have reached a point of, if not unusable, then at least quite diminished capacity.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Yes, like every other lithium-ion battery that's in your phone, laptop, etc

I don't think anyone is going to miss not being able to charge up to 100% and instead it's stuck with 97% after a few years.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Tab8715 posted:

Yes, like every other lithium-ion battery that's in your phone, laptop, etc

I don't think anyone is going to miss not being able to charge up to 100% and instead it's stuck with 97% after a few years.

It's a lot easier to maintain shallow discharge cycles on those devices, because you can easily plug in a phone or laptop while using it. That's not true of a watch, and having to take it off my wrists multiple times a day for charging would dampen my enthusiasm for a smart watch dramatically.

And 97%? Try 80% as a best-case scenario after ~300 cycles, and a much more dramatic fall-off after that.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Apple is taking us right back to the gilded age of luxury where the burden of maintenance of precise instruments was overcome with sheer force of money. Take straight razors for example. I am looking forward to the SMTWTFS sets of apple watches selling for full msrp plus an $800 "charging box".

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

GokieKS posted:

How charge cycles work in Lithium-Ion batteries is very well known, and what he said isn't far off the mark. Most Li-Ion batteries are rated for 300-500 full discharge/charge cycles, though that usually tend to be on the conservative side. Shallow discharge cycles will prolong the life at a non-linear relationship with full discharge cycles (50% discharge cycles will be rated for 1000-1500 cycles rather than 600-1000 for example), but nonetheless, if the battery in the Apple Watch needs to be charged every day and the user only does it once a day when it's nearly fully discharged, then there's a very good chance that at the one year mark the battery will have reached a point of, if not unusable, then at least quite diminished capacity.

Except battery technology improves and Li-Ion batteries on modern gear works and levels much better than stuff from even 2-3 years ago. Also, Apple's probably thought this already, given the fact that the "18" hour quote does not lead the watch to a complete discharge since it's actually supposed to be able to keep and show you the time for another 72 hours AFTER that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

shodanjr_gr posted:

Except battery technology improves and Li-Ion batteries on modern gear works and levels much better than stuff from even 2-3 years ago. Also, Apple's probably thought this already, given the fact that the "18" hour quote does not lead the watch to a complete discharge since it's actually supposed to be able to keep and show you the time for another 72 hours AFTER that.

What has happened with the other one day charge smart watches? They've been out a while, right?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

shodanjr_gr posted:

Except battery technology improves and Li-Ion batteries on modern gear works and levels much better than stuff from even 2-3 years ago.

That's really not true - there's actually been very little in the way of improvements to Lithium-Ion batteries that's actually made it to commercial application recently, which is why battery life and efficiency remains the biggest challenge in improvements for pretty much all consumer electronics and there is so much effort devoted to it.

And obviously we don't know what the power reserve capacity is, but if the 72 hour quote time is based on only telling time and the display being on for 15 seconds per hour, it's not going to be very much, and a ~90% discharge is close enough to being a full discharge that it really doesn't make a huge difference in battery health.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
They've been working on the watch for years. They're a multi billion dollar company. I'm sure they tested the battery tech longer than a year to see the lifespan.

Such a crazy amount of armchair critics in this thread.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GokieKS posted:

It's a lot easier to maintain shallow discharge cycles on those devices, because you can easily plug in a phone or laptop while using it. That's not true of a watch, and having to take it off my wrists multiple times a day for charging would dampen my enthusiasm for a smart watch dramatically.

And 97%? Try 80% as a best-case scenario after ~300 cycles, and a much more dramatic fall-off after that.

And how many of us have our phones plugged in while using them?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

They've been working on the watch for years. They're a multi billion dollar company. I'm sure they tested the battery tech longer than a year to see the lifespan.

Such a crazy amount of armchair critics in this thread.

?? Don't you think they tested the first iPhone for a long while? That poo poo was missing features a prepaid phone could pull off.

Apple, especially nowadays (rip stve) cut corners and intentionally hold poo poo back so they can have stuff for the next model, while still price gouging you.

I'm sure their products are tested, I think it's more they know people will still buy them no matter what. If they were super concerned with the end user experience and customers getting the best product for their buck, poo poo like atteneagate wouldn't happen.

They gently caress you just because they can. They could have made it so the watch can use any standard watch band (and still release some apple bands with the cool clasp/magnet systems) yet they chose to make them proprietary and EXCESSIVELY expensive. I can be like, ok, another proprietary apple accessory, fine, I'll get past it. But to make them THAT expensive is just bullying and taking advantage of addicts.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

?? Don't you think they tested the first iPhone for a long while? That poo poo was missing features a prepaid phone could pull off.

Apple, especially nowadays (rip stve) cut corners and intentionally hold poo poo back so they can have stuff for the next model, while still price gouging you.

I'm sure their products are tested, I think it's more they know people will still buy them no matter what. If they were super concerned with the end user experience and customers getting the best product for their buck, poo poo like atteneagate wouldn't happen.

They gently caress you just because they can. They could have made it so the watch can use any standard watch band (and still release some apple bands with the cool clasp/magnet systems) yet they chose to make them proprietary and EXCESSIVELY expensive. I can be like, ok, another proprietary apple accessory, fine, I'll get past it. But to make them THAT expensive is just bullying and taking advantage of addicts.

They are controlling the experience like they always have. Third party vendors will provide cheaper alternatives if you so choose, like they always have. People still buy the Apple branded stuff because its good stuff. Some people won't.

It is not bullying. It is a very smart business strategy that keeps them being the best in the business. They make amazing quality products and set the standard that all other manufacturers live up to.

You're making Apple sound like they're the only company in the world that does things like this. Go see how much high quality watch straps cost you. Go see how much the best car costs you. Now do they also iterate on their products, or do they make one brilliant product and never touch it again? Do they make mistakes, or are they perfect?

Are you buying an Apple watch? Why?

E: Also on the RIP Steve part, you're losing it. The same "proprietary" bullshit happened with him too. People who say the company got worse after the death of Jobs has their head firmly up their own rear end.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

lol what?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Imagine how he felt when the first iPod came out!

And the first iPhone didn't have MMS, video, or 3G, although the latter would be moot in a prepaid phone considering how much data cost back then. And a bunch of other things other phones had. It just blew them out of the water with the stuff it did have.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Still waiting on an FM radio :cool:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

I agree with nearly everything you said (No GPS on the first iPhone, what the gently caress), at this point Apple could poo poo in most people's mouth and they would say it tastes like chocolate (see, the new macbook).

But the bands are an upgrade over traditional ones: you can swap them easily. Sometimes I wish this was possible with my normal non-smart watch.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
Get an iPod Nano then.

iPod Nano posted:

FM radio keeps you up on whats going on out there the game, the top news stories, your favorite talk shows or whatever you love listening to. Just plug in your headphones and tap to see the controls.

Oh wait, you don't actually want to listen to radio, you're just a pedant.

Flash runsran great on Android too right?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Spatule posted:

I agree with nearly everything you said (No GPS on the first iPhone, what the gently caress), at this point Apple could poo poo in most people's mouth and they would say it tastes like chocolate (see, the new macbook).

But the bands are an upgrade over traditional ones: you can swap them easily. Sometimes I wish this was possible with my normal non-smart watch.

You people are crazy.

Modern day smart phones look and function the way they do because of the iPhone.

Modern day ultrabooks look that way because of the MacBook Pro.

Apple invented portable digital music players, for all intents and purposes that matter.

I personally wouldn't bet against them in terms of what future watches will look like.

No first-generation Apple product is ever perfect, but Apple always ends up making stuff that's so good other companies can't help but take inspiration from it.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 21, 2015

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Did either of you actually use a "smart" phone pre iPhone? Trying to do anything on the Internet was an exercise in patience or near impossible. At the time just having a good browser was almost worth the cost.

I have a Blackberry Curve I have to use for work and it's terrible. Trying to just load a webpage I feel like I'm transported back to my 386 back in 1992. Yes my phone came out after the iPhone but the software hasn't changed much since. An iPhone 1 would be a huge step up from this piece of poo poo. Before the iPhone this BB software was considered the best.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yo I'm not saying future apple watches will be great but this one is only ok and not as good or priced as low as they could have and they don't do it because people like you will buy whatver they put out

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
nm

Spatule fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 22, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Yo I'm not saying future apple watches will be great but this one is only ok and not as good or priced as low as they could have and they don't do it because people like you will buy whatver they put out

How do you know it won't be good? You don't know what applications this watch will have on how you run your day to day life. No one does. You're making a bunch of assumptions bases on a company that does a LOT of things right.

Again, lots of armchair criticism going on here against a company that seems to have a very steady and successful track record.

Also "could have been cheaper" hahah. Business 101 over here.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't think the price is crazy either. I was in the market for a nice looking dumb watch about a year and a half ago and my budget was $300-$500. Now for that same price I can get something that looks good and does a lot more.

Yeah the edition prices are insane and some of the bands are a little too expensive, however, at the core, all these watches have the same functionality.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Anti-Apple zealots are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Tab8715 posted:

And how many of us have our phones plugged in while using them?

A lot of people, when their phone is low on battery. Are you being intentionally obtuse, or do you really not see the difference between how easy it is to charge a phone whenever you need to (or feel like you should), compared to a watch that you have to remove from your wrist and effectively can't use while charging?

• Locked thread