Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Jarmak posted:

Calling the NLEOMF propaganda doesn't make it so

Jarmak posted:

the fact that they are pro-police

Yes yes. They are quite Fair and Balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

So orderlies can corral known and mostly medicated mental patients in a treatment facility where their physical movement and access to weapons is strictly controlled. This is comparable to the dangers faced by law enforcement because...
Your ignorance is deafening.

Poor cops. Poor poor cops. So scared. So weak.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/18/video-dallas-police-shooting-mentally-ill-black-man

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

FRINGE posted:

Your ignorance is deafening.

Poor cops. Poor poor cops. So scared. So weak.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/18/video-dallas-police-shooting-mentally-ill-black-man

:stare:
Related story that showed up on the page:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/29/kristiana-coignard-video-shows-texas-police-station-shooting
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/28/kristiana-coignard-longview-texas-police-killing

The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGIS1Knpvs0&feature=player_detailpage
Short news story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEm3fxNSwK4

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 21, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Well the important thing is that the beleaguered heroes got their prize after gunning down another kid!

quote:

What is clear, nearly a week later in Texas and six months after police killings and community relations starting coming under renewed scrutiny across the US, is that another teenager has died after being shot “multiple times” by local cops. Three officers are on paid leave, the Longview police told the Guardian. A preliminary autopsy report has ruled the death a homicide.

Killing kids is hard man. You need some full-pay no-work time to get drunk and threaten to kill people out of that dreary uniform.

Look at that scary monster they were dealing with. A room full of "warriors" would have no choice but to start blasting.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
The first cop in that video that assaulted her had to be 220 pounds. I say assaulted, because that is what he did. If he was going to assault her like that, he should have loving restrained her. He could have probably just sat on her. He was the one that escalated that situation, and then he ended up having to kill her. Then they left her on the floor for like 6 minutes while waiting for the EMT's and they did nothing for her. I hope he has loving nightmares of her corpse eating his face for the rest of his life.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 21, 2015

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
God it just astonishes me that we allow our police to do this to us. They're all cowards and bullies, what in the living christ.

e: I guess when you recruit from the bottom of the barrel this is what you get, what a loving farce.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Here is the short version of what happened to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21WqaDzztGk

Didn't the big guy who body slammed her have any cuffs?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FRINGE posted:

Look at that scary monster they were dealing with. A room full of "warriors" would have no choice but to start blasting.

Are you saying they would have been more justified if she looked...scarier?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait so from the way I understand that story she went into a police station then at some point brandished a knife? I'm unclear here what actually happened?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Wait so from the way I understand that story she went into a police station then at some point brandished a knife? I'm unclear here what actually happened?

Here's a 3 minute video of what happened:

When the first cop had her face down on the ground he should have just stayed on top of her till help arrived. She wasn't going to be able to get up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Armyman25 posted:

Here's a 3 minute video of what happened:

When the first cop had her face down on the ground he should have just stayed on top of her till help arrived. She wasn't going to be able to get up.

He should have, certainly. However, if she did have a large knife (which I can't see, but I guess the video is poor), this isn't the shooting to get worked out about. Charging with a knife is clearly deadly force and use of it in defense is proper. Again, shouldn't have gotten to that point, but not as bad as the man with the screwdriver.

I feel like that one is only making the rounds because she is a white girl.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

nm posted:

He should have, certainly. However, if she did have a large knife (which I can't see, but I guess the video is poor), this isn't the shooting to get worked out about. Charging with a knife is clearly deadly force and use of it in defense is proper. Again, shouldn't have gotten to that point, but not as bad as the man with the screwdriver.

Since his lack of control of the situation allowed her to be loose with a weapon, it's his fault that he shot her.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that guy looks like he has experiencing pinning women to the ground, seriously these people don't have Tasers? Why was she not tasered or maced?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that guy looks like he has experiencing pinning women to the ground, seriously these people don't have Tasers? Why was she not tasered or maced?

At which point?
When she was on the ground, that was excessive force.

If she is running at someone with a butcher knife as claimed? That has escalated beyond that point.

This shooting is clearly the officers fault, but legally it is justifiable and would be for anyone, not just a cop. That video is an aquittal for anyone.

Morally? That is harder.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

nm posted:

When she charges at him I can see the flash of something that looks consistent with the size of an 8"-9" chef's knife and shiny, but yeah the video quality is poo poo and its definitely not a confirmation.

After finally watching the video I've got mixed feelings, Its definitely clean from a criminal standpoint. I'd like to know how much the officer was trained with mental health issues and how much the audio conveyed that he was dealing with someone having a breakdown before throwing him under the bus. It seems like he kept trying to deescalate the situation and talk the person into calming down, and with a rational person you'd thinking getting standoff with a firearm trained on them would count as "control", most people don't suicide charge into gunfire.

edit: if you stop the video at 3:31 you can clearly see what I'm talking about.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Armyman25 posted:

Since his lack of control of the situation allowed her to be loose with a weapon, it's his fault that he shot her.

When a suicidal person walks into a police station with a huge knife I can understand when the officer doesn't perform the button combo in the QTE perfectly considering the situation (a person walking in to a police station with a knife) is completely and utterly unexpected. It's really easy to say what should have happened when you are looking on in retrospect with an overhead camera view, but in reality the psychology and physiology are very difficult to understand if you've never been in that sort of scenario. It's just flat out impossible to make these sorts of 100% rational decisions you are talking about when adrenaline is soaring and your heartrate is through the roof. I doubt training is even the answer- these situations are just too rare.

I realize this excuse is pulled out in a lot of officer shootings, but I think there is a pretty big difference between this one and a lot of the others. I'm guessing a lot of people just commented before seeing the video but I really don't see how the officer could have been expected to handle things better, though of course he didn't handle the situation perfectly.

Jarmak posted:

When she charges at him I can see the flash of something that looks consistent with the size of an 8"-9" chef's knife and shiny, but yeah the video quality is poo poo and its definitely not a confirmation.

After finally watching the video I've got mixed feelings, Its definitely clean from a criminal standpoint. I'd like to know how much the officer was trained with mental health issues and how much the audio conveyed that he was dealing with someone having a breakdown before throwing him under the bus. It seems like he kept trying to deescalate the situation and talk the person into calming down, and with a rational person you'd thinking getting standoff with a firearm trained on them would count as "control", most people don't suicide charge into gunfire.

edit: if you stop the video at 3:31 you can clearly see what I'm talking about.

The thing is a 'breakdown' is just one possibility. A manic induced psychosis is essentially impossible to "talk down" other than to subdue / sedate. Or they wanted to die, having already attempted suicide several times. Point is how you handle mentally ill people varies greatly on the specifics of the person and the condition, which the officer had all of about 30 seconds to try and determine. Even the best trained officer isn't going to be able to identify what illness the person has and how to correctly respond to it in under a minute when there's weapons being flung about. Professionals in secured medical facilities where the person is unarmed and the professionals have complete knowledge of the person's condition not-infrequently encounter life threatening situations due to how unpredictable mentally ill people can be.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

tsa posted:

When a suicidal person walks into a police station with a huge knife I can understand when the officer doesn't perform the button combo in the QTE perfectly considering the situation (a person walking in to a police station with a knife) is completely and utterly unexpected. It's really easy to say what should have happened when you are looking on in retrospect with an overhead camera view, but in reality the psychology and physiology are very difficult to understand if you've never been in that sort of scenario. It's just flat out impossible to make these sorts of 100% rational decisions you are talking about when adrenaline is soaring and your heartrate is through the roof. I doubt training is even the answer- these situations are just too rare.

The cop already found enough reason to wrestle her to the ground at 2:43. If you've already committed to taking them to the ground you've decided to physically control them. At that point there is no good reason to let them back up and try to talk to them. I mean, is that standard police training? Physically overpower someone, take them to the ground, then let them up for round 2?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I love when dirty cops get busted. For example back in my home town a local cop was caught with a profile up on a fetish sex site where he was seen putting a collar on a black girl, calling her "his slave" and hitting her with a whip. Needless to say, this was not very good for the PR of the police department. After that, the city decided to look into his background and discovered that despite being white as a ghost, he wrote down "African American" on his job application in order to increase his chances of getting hired.

It was all quite humiliating.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

The cop already found enough reason to wrestle her to the ground at 2:43. If you've already committed to taking them to the ground you've decided to physically control them. At that point there is no good reason to let them back up and try to talk to them. I mean, is that standard police training? Physically overpower someone, take them to the ground, then let them up for round 2?

I agree it was poor judgement, but at that point he was probably still thinking he's dealing with an unarmed teenage girl that not much of a threat and decided to keep trying to deescalate the situation in much the same way people in this thread keep saying cops should do more of (I mean the first reaction of this thread was "look at this harmless little white girl the cops couldn't deal with without shooting". The only thing that doesn't make sense is he seems to draw his gun pretty quick after getting off her, so why did he feel okay releasing control but feel the need to draw his gun and get standoff? The only two things that make sense to me is she pulled the knife out as soon as he let go of her, or he saw the knife while she was on the ground and he didn't feel confident in his level of control and went "gently caress, knife" and got distance.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 21, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

tsa posted:

Professionals in secured medical facilities where the person is unarmed and the professionals have complete knowledge of the person's condition not-infrequently encounter life threatening situations due to how unpredictable mentally ill people can be.
First off "unarmed" is not something you can rely on, ever.

Aside from that - you must subdue them without killing them and without causing needless harm. If unarmed (presumably - ha!) less fit and less trained (again - ha!) mental health workers can manage this daily then surely the Mighty Proud Knights of Law can manage it when they are traveling in a pack and out-weigh, out-muscle, and out-armor the teenage girl victim.

Jarmak posted:

I agree it was poor judgement, but at that point he was probably still thinking he's dealing with an unarmed teenage girl that not much of a threat and decided to keep trying to deescalate the situation in much the same way people in this thread keep saying cops should do more of (I mean the first reaction of this thread was "look at this harmless little white girl the cops couldn't deal with without shooting).
Your poor incompetent murderer-hero just couldnt handcuff her because he was overcome by her teenage girl charm. :rolleyes:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I love when dirty cops get busted. For example back in my home town a local cop was caught with a profile up on a fetish sex site where he was seen putting a collar on a black girl, calling her "his slave" and hitting her with a whip. Needless to say, this was not very good for the PR of the police department. After that, the city decided to look into his background and discovered that despite being white as a ghost, he wrote down "African American" on his job application in order to increase his chances of getting hired.

Is he a hardcore racist, or just the kind of person who lectures people about race online? It's hard to tell these days.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Hmm, I thought he didn't know what the word "textile" meant and obsessively stalked people, do ho ho ho.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

I'm going to go ahead and remind everyone in this thread that police in other countries manage to handle stuff like this all the time, without using deadly force.

We should ban everyday cops from carrying guns, and bring in specially trained officers whenever more force is necessary (active shooter scenarios, etc).

Considering the epidemic of cops' lives being needlessly put at risk because they apparently can't seem to keep their guns out of reach of suspects, this would be a pretty clear benefit from the standpoint of police safety.

We don't seem to be able to train a cop who suspects a jaywalker might have committed a robbery to, you know, keep reasonable control over the situation. If we're going to have cops that just pull up right next to someone and trap themselves inside their car with a rolled-down window, maybe it'd be safer if they weren't carrying a gun that their carelessness makes easily accessible to the suspect.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Effectronica posted:

Hmm, I thought he didn't know what the word "textile" meant and obsessively stalked people, do ho ho ho.

Nah hes the guy who argued that subsistence farming is superior to mechanized production because it "employs more people". Also, he once tried to argue that there was no such thing as "luxury textiles" being used for bartering. Wikipedia humiliated him and he ran from the thread with his tail between his legs.

Hes still real mad about getting owned like that apparently. Really really loving mad :allears:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Nah hes the guy who argued that subsistence farming is superior to mechanized production because it "employs more people". Also, he once tried to argue that there was no such thing as "luxury textiles" being used for bartering. Wikipedia humiliated him and he ran from the thread with his tail between his legs.

Hes still real mad about getting owned like that apparently. Really really loving mad :allears:

Well now, at least you're using things on the actual forums instead of crowing about the paper-bag test you administered.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

These are all jokes about Zeitgeist right

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Forums Terrorist posted:

These are all jokes about Zeitgeist right

The first one was about Zeitgeist, and also about how they used color swatches to scientifically prove SedanChair wasn't black.

Then the next one was about Zeitgeist.

My response was reminding stalker-boy that he got clowned on in GBS.

He responded by pretending he's much smarter than he actually is, which is a common factor in his posts.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Effectronica posted:

Well now, at least you're using things on the actual forums instead of crowing about the paper-bag test you administered.

I don't know what this means. Is this you trying to argue that technology destroys jobs and that life was better when we had to plow fields by hand? I always loved those quotes. thisiswhatgoonsactuallybelieve.txt material at its finest :allears:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh joy, an argument about an argument that happened in another subforum, how riveting.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Oh joy, an argument about an argument that happened in another subforum, how riveting.

I'd rather argue about whether being a cop ia dangerious.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

nm posted:

Diabetes and heart disease are dangerous!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nm posted:

Well if there's a couple of things we can agree on, its that police definitely aren't in a dangerous job and definitely there is no racial issues in policing.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

An interesting sidenote in the Boston Marathon bombing case: a majority of registered voters in Boston believe Tsarnaev should be sentenced to life in prison rather than be executed if he's convicted.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/03/23/wbur-poll-tsarnaev-death-penalty-life-in-prison

The article goes on to float theories regarding why, including a broader rejection of the death penalty and feelings that Tsarnaev was overly pressured by his brother. I'd like to think it's more of the former, especially given the jump in pro-death penalty responses once you get away from the city. I'm still somewhat surprised by the numbers given the high profile nature of the attack, though.

It's kind of depressing that the further you get from the attack geographically, the more people are out for blood.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Well, the death penalty is more about posturing anyhow.

It's a terrible idea and hopefully will be gone in a decade.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/exclusive-woman-held-psych-ward-obama-twitter-claim-article-1.2159049

quote:

A Long Island woman’s insistence that President Obama follows her on Twitter made doctors at the Harlem Hospital psych ward think she was delusional and suffering from bipolar disorder — but she was actually telling the truth, a lawsuit charges. Kam Brock’s frightening eight-day “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” ordeal at the mental facility included forced injections of powerful sedatives and demands she down doses of lithium, medical records obtained through her suit filed in Manhattan Federal Court show.

They also indicate that doctors didn’t believe the leader of the free world followed her on Twitter — though @BarackObama follows over 640,000 accounts, including hers. They were also skeptical she worked at a bank, records show. “I told (the doctor) Obama follows me on Twitter to show her the type of person I am. I’m a good person, a positive person. Obama follows positive people!” Brock, whose Twitter handle is @AkilahBrock, said.

A “master treatment plan” from Harlem Hospital backs up the Astoria Bank worker’s story. “Objective: Patient will verbalize the importance of education for employment and will state that Obama is not following her on Twitter,” the document reads.It also notes “patient’s weaknesses: inability to test reality, unemployment.” Adding insult to insanity, the hospital hit Brock with a bill of $13,637.10, she charges in her suit seeking unspecified damages.

The bizarre experience began Sept. 12, when the NYPD seized her prized 2003 BMW 325Ci in Harlem because they suspected she was high on weed, her attorney, Michael Lamonsoff, said. Cops found no marijuana but confiscated her ride anyway, he said. The NYPD declined to comment. The following day, Brock walked into the NYPD’s Public Service Area 6 stationhouse in Harlem to retrieve her car, her suit charges. Brock — an eccentric 32-year-old born in Jamaica with dreams of making it big in the entertainment business — admitted in an interview she was “emotional,” but insisted she in no way is an “emotionally disturbed person.” Nevertheless, cops cuffed her and put her in an ambulance bound for the hospital, her suit charges.

Not the first time the NYPD has decided to have someone committed for lovely reasons.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Solkanar512 posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/exclusive-woman-held-psych-ward-obama-twitter-claim-article-1.2159049

Not the first time the NYPD has decided to have someone committed for lovely reasons.

Pulled her over for DWB and then gaslighted her and called her hysterical when she justifiably got upset.

So many layers of hosed up. :staredog:

Also don't they usually commit the police whistleblowers?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://abc27.com/2015/03/24/hummelstown-police-officer-charged-with-homicide/

quote:

HUMMELSTOWN, Pa. (WHTM) – A Hummelstown police officer has been charged with criminal homicide in the fatal shooting of a South Hanover Township man last month.

Dauphin County District Attorney Ed Marsico said following a state police investigation, he concluded 36-year-old Lisa Mearkle was not justified in using deadly force when she shot 59-year-old David Kassick.

“When police officers break the law, we will charge them accordingly,” Marsico said at a news conference Tuesday.

Mearkle on Feb. 2 had attempted to stop Kassick for an expired inspection sticker, but Kassick drove to his sister’s home in the 100 block of Grandview Avenue and fled on foot. Mearkle chased him behind the house and used her stun gun, striking Kassick in the back with the probes, Marsico said.

Kassick fell to the snow-covered ground and was lying face down when Mearkle ordered him to show his hands. She continued to use the stun gun while Kassick was on the ground, then shot him twice in the back.

The district attorney said Kassick did not have a gun and never brandished anything that could have been viewed as a potential weapon. He said the only item recovered near Kassick was a syringe.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

My "favorite" part of excessive force cases is when the officer keeps tasing and tasing a person because they won't comply. I'm not sure they understand how the nervous system works and how a big jolt of electricity can prevent someone from doing what you're yelling as you tase him.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

nm posted:

My "favorite" part of excessive force cases is when the officer keeps tasing and tasing a person because they won't comply. I'm not sure they understand how the nervous system works and how a big jolt of electricity can prevent someone from doing what you're yelling as you tase him.

They mostly don't, which is why they should be harshly punished for reacting in a traditional and troubling power tripping manner. After all, ignorance is no excuse.

Of course the problem is that they are not punished in any meaningful way nor held to any kind of standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nm posted:

I still don't understand what scenario you're supposed to use a taser, in practice(not theory). Almost every situation I would have used a taser ends up being used to justify a shooting, and it looks an awful lot like they are mainly used to punish people who are no real threat.

• Locked thread