Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Something something leaner, more efficient, technological developments something more oil something weaning out the weak something

Year over year rig count is important right now, not week to week. We're just starting spring breakup, so rig counts normally drop week to week right now. That being said, I'm glad as gently caress I'm not involved with the drilling end end of things right now, they're getting poo poo on hard right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Gorau posted:

Year over year rig count is important right now, not week to week. We're just starting spring breakup, so rig counts normally drop week to week right now. That being said, I'm glad as gently caress I'm not involved with the drilling end end of things right now, they're getting poo poo on hard right now.

Isn't the inactive rig count at an all time high? That's got to mean something.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

Isn't the inactive rig count at an all time high? That's got to mean something.

It is and it does. I was just referring to that info graphic. Not so much here but I've been hearing various talking heads and other people freaking out about the fact the week over week numbers are pdeclining faster in Canada right now. Both Canada and the U.S. are going to keep laying down more rigs for the next little while. All the rig contracts that had been keeping the rigs moving are coming to an end right now.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 21, 2015

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
I live in a smaller (28k) oilfield town.

The amount of houses with for sale signs in the front is mindblowing. On some streets every 2nd house seems to have a for sale sign.

They're all in the development areas. The large expansive communities built from a Home Depot catalog.

Never seen anything like this before.

On the subject of rig shutdowns. All the rig moving companies that had space for storage are full up. It's not just drilling rigs I'm seeing but flushbys, pressure trucks.. everything. I've been told by a friend at Husky that they're just letting wells sand up. Apparently when(if) oil goes up again they can just attend to them then.

I've never seen service side impacted like this before.

On the plus side I rent a kind of lovely apartment and the management company called and told me they're cutting my rent heavily in an effort to keep long term tenants so :shobon:

Amos Moses fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 21, 2015

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Amos Moses posted:

I live in a smaller (28k) oilfield town.

On the subject of rig shutdowns. All the rig moving companies that had space for storage are full up. It's not just drilling rigs I'm seeing but flushbys, pressure trucks.. everything. I've been told by a friend at Husky that they're just letting wells sand up. Apparently when(if) oil goes up again they can just attend to them then.

I've never seen service side impacted like this before.

On the plus side I rent a kind of lovely apartment and the management company called and told me they're cutting my rent heavily in an effort to keep long term tenants so :shobon:

Drive through Nisku some time. There probably half a billion dollars of equipment laying around unused there. On the subject of Huskey, they're a terrible company. They've put too much money into their SAGD plants and their Chinese offshore stuff and they don't have a lot of capital flexibility. I'm starting to think that the only Canadian oil companies that are going to come out of this in good shape are CNRL and Suncor. Husky, Cenovus, Encana all have capital issues, Talisman and Nexan both sold out and are now being butchered accordingly and all the others are too small to survive.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
Holy poo poo I forgot about Nisku/Leduc.

What the hell are they going to do? Isn't Nisku basically just oilfield equipment rentals/manufacturing/rig service companies? I'm east of Nisku and we have a small bit of agriculture but nowhere near enough to support the city let alone a block.

I'm still seeing quite a number of new trucks rolling out of the dealerships here as well as other big money toys like Commanders, RVs, boats. I sort of just want to stand on the Yellowhead with a sign screaming for people to save every loving nickel.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Boy howdy am I glad that I chose to watch these oilfield small players instead of buying shares. Nearly all of them, which were trending up rapidly a year ago, no longer exist. :v:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gorau posted:

Drive through Nisku some time. There probably half a billion dollars of equipment laying around unused there. On the subject of Huskey, they're a terrible company. They've put too much money into their SAGD plants and their Chinese offshore stuff and they don't have a lot of capital flexibility. I'm starting to think that the only Canadian oil companies that are going to come out of this in good shape are CNRL and Suncor. Husky, Cenovus, Encana all have capital issues, Talisman and Nexan both sold out and are now being butchered accordingly and all the others are too small to survive.

I'm still not sure why Warren Buffet bought such a big position in Suncor seeing how he tends to avoid commodities.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

etalian posted:

I'm still not sure why Warren Buffet bought such a big position in Suncor seeing how he tends to avoid commodities.

Not really sure either, except that Suncor is a fully integrated oil company (unlike CNRL) with limited exposure to international unrest (as opposed to Exxon, Shell et. al. ) with a very healthy balance sheet and large proven reserves. As a straight oil play there are better choices, but Suncor offers stability over most of them.

Also seconding the laughter at anyone who decided to play the junior oil companies. It's no secret that every last one of them is unstable as hell and is one bad deal from going under. See: Athabasca.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gorau posted:

Not really sure either, except that Suncor is a fully integrated oil company (unlike CNRL) with limited exposure to international unrest (as opposed to Exxon, Shell et. al. ) with a very healthy balance sheet and large proven reserves. As a straight oil play there are better choices, but Suncor offers stability over most of them.

Also seconding the laughter at anyone who decided to play the junior oil companies. It's no secret that every last one of them is unstable as hell and is one bad deal from going under. See: Athabasca.

Yeah basically all the small players are getting slaughterd, only large cap companies like Suncor have the resources to survive the famine years.

Conoco also announced another 7% cut for their operations, with 200 layoffs for Calgary downtown office.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/2015/03/20/autocanada-expects-2015-challenges-as-oils-collapse-depletes-buyers-confidence/

quote:

AutoCanada shares plunge as Alberta slowdown hits car dealerships

Declining consumer confidence in the oil-dependent economy of Alberta dented sales at AutoCanada Inc.’s car dealerships in the first two months of the year, but the company isn’t giving up on its aggressive acquisition strategy.

The Edmonton-based dealership group’s shares tumbled 21% Friday to close at $33.75 after it described the latter half of December and the first two months of 2015 as “very challenging.”

Nearly half of AutoCanada’s 48 dealerships are in Alberta, where 40% of people are deferring major purchases like homes and automobiles as a result of the collapse in oil prices, according to a study by ATB Financial that was cited Friday by AutoCanada CEO Tom Orysiuk.

“With a large percentage of the company’s revenue and profit coming from Western dealerships, and Alberta dealerships in particular, this will pose significant challenges,” Mr. Orysiuk said on a conference call following the release of the company’s fourth-quarter results.

“Barring any unforeseen significant improvement, although the company shall be profitable, Q1 2015 will not equal Q1 2014 results.”

According to data from automotive research firm R.L. Polk & Co., the Calgary area saw a 9.4% drop in car-sales volumes in January compared to the previous year. AutoCanada said Edmonton and Grande Prairie, Alta., where it also has a significant presence, “likewise proved challenging.” In addition, record snowfall in the Maritimes and some integration challenges with newly acquired stores hurt volumes and margins outside of Alberta.

Mr. Orysiuk said AutoCanada is “aggressively reviewing its operations” to find ways to reduce costs, and is hoping manufacturers with volume-based incentives will adjust their sales targets.

AutoCanada has been on an acquisition spree, buying 17 dealerships last year alone. The company’s dramatic pace of growth led to record fourth-quarter revenue of $653.5 million, nearly double the year before, and a 55% jump in net profit to $14.9 million.

Although the pace of acquisitions will slow this year, Executive Chairman Pat Priestner said he expects to announce another three to five purchases by the end of May and will not be deterred by the economic weakness in Alberta.

“Should Alberta opportunities present themselves as we go through the year at multiples that make really good sense, the company would not hesitate to take advantage of what we believe would be clearly in the long-term interests of the company and our shareholders,” Mr. Priestner said.

AutoCanada is also interested in expanding its presence in Quebec and Ontario, where it currently has a total of eight dealerships, through the acquisition of a large dealership group, Mr. Priestner added.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

~Energy superpower~

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
http://business.financialpost.com/2015/03/20/canadas-household-debt-problem-all-the-more-concering-amid-collapsing-oil-prices-expert-says/

The fiance and I currently rent. We have zero debt. No autoloans, no credit card debt no student debt nothing outstanding on either TransUnion/Equifax.

Other than the job market going belly up do I need to worry about poo poo?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
As long as you won't be shocked by the fact that CPP and other benefits you might hope to rely on when you retire are probably going to fall apart and you know to base your long term plans on this you're in a better spot than most.

My wife is REALLY itching to buy a house this year now that she's seeing all the awesome deals hitting the market and we're in the same boat but I still don't want to overpay on a house.

At least she knows that we should budget for a house we can afford 5 years from now when interest rates are probably at 6% and everyone's stuck with the house they have unless they're willing to take a huge loss on it.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Anecdotally, I'm hearing lots of reports that our union members are returning to B.C. from Alberta in droves. I suspect the same will be true for the Ontario and Newfoundland locals, so I expect it start showing up in unemployment figures shortly.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

This one is pretty great. Underwater on condo and have student loans and about to have a kid? Time to buy a house!

http://business.financialpost.com/2015/03/20/debt-ridden-young-couple-in-vancouver-wants-it-all-bigger-house-kids-early-retirement/

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
That can't be real.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

EvilJoven posted:

As long as you won't be shocked by the fact that CPP and other benefits you might hope to rely on when you retire are probably going to fall apart and you know to base your long term plans on this you're in a better spot than most.

My wife is REALLY itching to buy a house this year now that she's seeing all the awesome deals hitting the market and we're in the same boat but I still don't want to overpay on a house.

At least she knows that we should budget for a house we can afford 5 years from now when interest rates are probably at 6% and everyone's stuck with the house they have unless they're willing to take a huge loss on it.

Yeah fiance is in the same boat that we should buy a house.

I'd much rather have the father in law pull the trigger on dividing up some of the land at their farmhouse and plopping down a $50-80K RTM.

The assholes spending $400k+ on houses here that would go for $50k-70k back in Ontario are up poo poo creek.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

It is a problem of perspective, the planner says. The couple, who are using most of their savings capacity to pay off their wedding, has almost no savings on their balance sheet.

Hahahaha

Also, two engineers who each make about 75k year lol. They can't loving do simple math to solve their finances.

These two idiots have failed at life.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blah_blah posted:

This one is pretty great. Underwater on condo and have student loans and about to have a kid? Time to buy a house!

http://business.financialpost.com/2015/03/20/debt-ridden-young-couple-in-vancouver-wants-it-all-bigger-house-kids-early-retirement/

How the gently caress did their mortgage outclimb the value of the condo in 3 years in the middle of a housing bubble? :psyduck:

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Franks Happy Place posted:

Anecdotally, I'm hearing lots of reports that our union members are returning to B.C. from Alberta in droves. I suspect the same will be true for the Ontario and Newfoundland locals, so I expect it start showing up in unemployment figures shortly.

And don't forget Nova Scotia. This plus the EI crackdown is gonna have a serious effect on our economy. I'm glad I work in a sector that isn't affected by the oil price, and if anything benefits from it - but the local job market is going to get rocked soon I feel. Too many people went out west with minimal education and got jobs and when they all flood back at the same time...

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

blah_blah posted:

That budget is something else. Liquidate those people. Literally.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I missed the part about them spending all their money on their wedding. Amazing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
The food budget plus restaurant and travel expenses is pretty hilarious.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

Isentropy posted:

And don't forget Nova Scotia. This plus the EI crackdown is gonna have a serious effect on our economy. I'm glad I work in a sector that isn't affected by the oil price, and if anything benefits from it - but the local job market is going to get rocked soon I feel. Too many people went out west with minimal education and got jobs and when they all flood back at the same time...

EI Crackdown? They gonna start bootin people off EI?

On the BC thing if you ask anyone driving a u-haul where they're going it's either Fort St. Johns headin west or St. Johns heading east.

I guess I could always move back to Thunder Bay.. ahaha

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/03/17/who-can-we-trust-on-vancouver-real-estate/

quote:

Who can we trust on Vancouver real estate?
By Pete Mcmartin, blogs.vancouversun.com

The surreal cost of housing in Metro Vancouver is the biggest issue facing the city. Yet it’s hard to find people who can fully inform us about what’s really causing it and, therefore, what can be done about it.

Most Canadian governments and politicians are keeping mum. Unlike in other jurisdictions around the world, most Canadian politicians are refusing to even collect the relevant data — including the numbers on the extent of foreign ownership, something I started writing about in 2012 and 2013, relying on the excellent Vancouver researcher Andy Yan. Pete McMartin wrote about Yan again in today’s paper.

In addition, a March 10th Vancouver Sun story by Joanne Lee-Young showed just how stubborn all levels of Canadian government have been about refusing to seriously explore what’s causing our run-away prices. That is even while evidence makes it clear it’s related to East Asian investors, particularly those who have, as Lee-Young noted, been taking US$1.08 trillion in capital out of China illegally.

Whatever is causing Metro Vancouver housing prices to be among the most unaffordable in the world, it’s making it impossible, as Sun columnist Barbara Yaffe pointed out on March 9, for even high-earning professionals to afford houses or family-sized condos in the city. Many are moving away.

It’s of course difficult to fully trust the information of realtors and the development industry. They’re not only heavy financiers of civic, B.C. and federal politicians, it’s decidedly in their interest to keep certain facts away from the public. Not surprisingly, they’ll welcome whoever and whatever keeps housing prices hot, the golden goose.

RELATED: Andy Yan fights to prevent Vancouver becoming a ‘zombie’ city

Priciest Metro Vancouver homes draw buyers from China, by Joanne Lee-Young

South China Morning Post reporter Ian Young has raised questions about one of the academics who has been most often quoted by the media on Metro Vancouver real estate prices.
It’s also been hard for B.C. journalists to find reliable academic experts to explain what’s causing Vancouver real estate prices to go through the roof. That is, except for Yan and the University of B.C’s meticulous urban geographer, David Ley, author of Millionaire Migrants.

More questions were raised in the past week about the academic most often interviewed by the media on Metro Vancouver real estate.

The South China Morning Post highlighted how the centre run by UBC business professor Tsur Somerville, who has been quoted hundreds of times by print and broadcast media outlets in Metro Vancouver, receives part of its funding from developers. (So do some of the city’s so-called urban think-tanks.)

Ian Young’s extensive posting about Somerville — who has frequently tossed the labels of “racist” and “xenophobic” at anyone who suggests that high immigration rates and foreign ownership influence real estate prices — is headlined:

“Vocal academic isn’t just an observer of Vancouver’s real estate scene, he’s a part of it.

Here’s an excerpt from it:

… While Tsur Somerville is enthusiastically cited {by the Vancouver media} little if any mention is made of an important fact: His Centre for Urban Economics is sponsored by the real estate industry. And his job is to prepare people to join that industry.

The centre’s sponsors have included the developers Grosvenor, Henderson Development, and the Vancouver chapter of the Commercial Real Estate Development Association (all currently listed on the centre’s website), as well as Polygon Homes, the Canadian Home Builders’ Association and the Greater Vancouver Home Builders’ Association (listed as sponsors as recently as 2012, along with Grosvenor).

And despite impressive credentials, Somerville hasn’t conducted a single piece of peer-reviewed research on what might be responsible for Vancouver’s outrageous unaffordability. He hasn’t recently done much peer-reviewed work at all: In the past decade, his entire peer-reviewed output amounts to three journal articles.

He’s been plenty busy though, teaching courses on real estate development, setting up student internships in the industry, and generally churning out new generations of real estate professionals. He is said to be an excellent and caring teacher, who helps students find jobs when they leave him.

He’s also delivered dozens of presentations, unhindered by the need for peer review. Here’s a sample of the titles: “Bubbles”, “Immigration and Real Estate”, “The Effect of Foreign Investment on Vancouver’s Housing Market”, and “Maybe the sky doesn’t have to fall”.

Prof. Tsur Somerville’s Centre for Urban Economics is sponsored in part by the real estate industry.

These levels of (development industry funding for Somerville’s centre) do not seem extraordinary – although I remain curious about the centre’s previously listed sponsors and whatever other funding Somerville may or may not have received.

This kind of relationship between a professional school and its corporate benefactors would not be so problematic, were it not for Somerville’s frequent efforts to influence the debate surrounding housing affordability without the benefit of peer-reviewed research. It’s a discussion of major concern to his centre’s financial backers as well as his students and their employment prospects. And it’s being conducted with a patina of academic impartiality.

Somerville may not have conducted peer-reviewed research on what drives Vancouver’s prices, but others have. Notable has been UBC’s Dr David Ley, holder of the Canadian Research Chair in Geography, whose 2010 book Millionaire Migrants provides extensive peer-reviewed data that shows an “unusually decisive” correlation between immigration and house prices in Vancouver. In case you were wondering: Ley says he receives no funding from the real estate industry. And I doubt he receives many invitations to speak before the industry either.

As for non-peer-reviewed data, Landcor, the Vancouver property industry’s number-cruncher of choice, found in 2011 that 74 per cent of luxury home purchases in Vancouver’s Westside and Richmond in the previous year were made by mainland Chinese buyers. And the buying continues apace….

Young’s full article here

The journalistic hunt remains open for more solid, trustworthy and well-researched commentators on what is causing Metro Vancouver’s real estate prices to reach stratospheric levels. And what do do about it. If you have suggestions for candidates, please send me an email at dtodd@vancouversun.com

lol the loving sun has decided that maybe they should start doing some journalism.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

blah_blah posted:

Retirement readiness: Two (2) stars out of five.

What do you have to do to be given only one star? Or zero stars?

"I make $100,000 per year but since I live off the grid I burn bales of hundred dollar bills for heat, costing me ten million dollars per year."

One (1) star out of five

"...but I own my house."

Five (5) stars out of five

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
She has a defined benefit plan which is pretty big. Also the situation is pretty easy to fix.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lumius posted:

She has a defined benefit plan which is pretty big. Also the situation is pretty easy to fix.

Which is they go kill themselves

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

How the gently caress did their mortgage outclimb the value of the condo in 3 years in the middle of a housing bubble? :psyduck:

Condos and townhouses have not appreciated much compared to detached houses.

MrChips posted:

Retirement readiness: Two (2) stars out of five.

What do you have to do to be given only one star? Or zero stars?

"I make $100,000 per year but since I live off the grid I burn bales of hundred dollar bills for heat, costing me ten million dollars per year."

One (1) star out of five

"...but I own my house."

Five (5) stars out of five

I mean, 2/5 is about right. They make a lot of money, have one defined benefit pension, and aren't planning on buying an incredibly expensive property (the flipside is that they spend insane amounts of money and have negative net worth). But if everything goes well (i.e., they keep their jobs and work another 30 years apiece) they will be able to retire easily, probably much better than most people of their generation. Of course, there are lots of things that can happen between now and then...

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 21, 2015

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

[Tsur Somerville has] also delivered dozens of presentations, unhindered by the need for peer review. Here’s a sample of the titles: “Bubbles”, “Immigration and Real Estate”, “The Effect of Foreign Investment on Vancouver’s Housing Market”, and “Maybe the sky doesn’t have to fall”.

This time it's different.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/03/17/who-can-we-trust-on-vancouver-real-estate/

lol the loving sun has decided that maybe they should start doing some journalism.

The SCMP is writing better articles about housing in Canada and immigration in Canada than Canadian newspapers at this point (and obviously the Vancouver Sun isn't a particular good Canadian newspaper in the first place).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lumius posted:

How many 31 year old do you know who are planning to stay with the same employer for thirty years?

Alternatively, how many private pension funds will still be around in 30 years? Just look at the situation with the steel mill in Hamilton, or that paper company in Quebec that went and reduced the pension payment of already-retired people.

If you rely on a pension plan for survival after retirement, you're a drat fool.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

How many 31 year old do you know who are planning to stay with the same employer for thirty years?

Alternatively, how many private pension funds will still be around in 30 years? Just look at the situation with the steel mill in Hamilton, or that paper company in Quebec that went and reduced the pension payment of already-retired people.

If you rely on a pension plan for survival after retirement, you're a drat fool.

Yeah the long term record of private plans isn't too bright.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lumius posted:

Every time I click on one of those they have a defined benefit plan.

Makes it seem like they are super common where in most cases its like finding a loving unicorn outside of civil service.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saltin posted:

Doesn't it depend on the manufacturer's strategy though? VW made a pretty clear shift in the late aughts to value. Prior to that they messed around with the luxury/german side of things. You could pay $50,000 CAD for a VW Passat in 2000, and then there was the ill fated "Phaeton" which was supposed to compete with BMW 5 and 7 series, Audi, etc. That didn't work for them so they started building cheaper cars. They've always had good advertising though, and the current one definitely gets "value" across. They are now the value German brand. (Even though they build a lot of cars in Mexico).

Other car brands are about lifestyle or luxury or power or getting handjobs from strange women or any other number of things, and their ads tend to focus on that. I don't think every ad needs to sell you on a value proposition. I think it depends on what you're trying to do. Some strategies are not about value, they are about experience or some perceived social standing, etc. This is how brand works.

My point is listing a bunch of features (ie. heated seats, lots of leg space, price, POWER (that's for you PT6A)) isn't an effective advertising strategy at all. Regardless of whether you're targetting the luxury market, the first-car market, the family car market or whatever, if you want to make an ad that sells, you have to show people how they will BENEFIT from it.

So sure, Ferrari can put out an ad that says "my car goes from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, it has one billion horsepower and is fire engine red" while showing the car going along the highway fast.

PT6A is far more likely to buy a car from Lamborghini that has the same features, but instead of a dumb voiceover telling what the car has, shows a guy in his 20s doing donuts in the parking lot and then has a bunch of hot chicks fall on his dick because he's so sexy with his fast car. Because that's the BENEFIT you get from owning that car. And effective marketing is all about benefits, not features.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

blah_blah posted:

There is a certain charm to people who have decided that the world will not allow them to have the life they want, so they just do whatever to get it. Also, $1040 a month on food and $970 a month on restaurants means $2010 a month on food. :staredog:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

My point is listing a bunch of features (ie. heated seats, lots of leg space, price, POWER (that's for you PT6A)) isn't an effective advertising strategy at all. Regardless of whether you're targetting the luxury market, the first-car market, the family car market or whatever, if you want to make an ad that sells, you have to show people how they will BENEFIT from it.

So sure, Ferrari can put out an ad that says "my car goes from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, it has one billion horsepower and is fire engine red" while showing the car going along the highway fast.

PT6A is far more likely to buy a car from Lamborghini that has the same features, but instead of a dumb voiceover telling what the car has, shows a guy in his 20s doing donuts in the parking lot and then has a bunch of hot chicks fall on his dick because he's so sexy with his fast car. Because that's the BENEFIT you get from owning that car. And effective marketing is all about benefits, not features.

That's what Lexus is trying to do with their "communication is non-verbal" and I'll still rather whack myself in the testicles than buy or drive a Lexus.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

That's what Lexus is trying to do with their "communication is non-verbal" and I'll still rather whack myself in the testicles than buy or drive a Lexus.

Every single Lexus driver I've ever seen sucks balls at driving, so that's probably a good call.

I haven't seen a Lexus ad in ages, so I don't know what one you're talking about. But it sounds dumb, everyone knows Lexus' target market is middle aged women/mothers who want safety to go with the hefty price tag/toys for a classy sedan or small SUV for the kids. That's like BMW trying to convince you to get an X5 instead of an M3. But that's a whole other issue...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blah_blah posted:

Condos and townhouses have not appreciated much compared to detached houses.

Remind me to never get a condo.

MickeyFinn posted:

There is a certain charm to people who have decided that the world will not allow them to have the life they want, so they just do whatever to get it. Also, $1040 a month on food and $970 a month on restaurants means $2010 a month on food. :staredog:

There have quite literally been kings with smaller dietary costs.