Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I can't figure out how to phrase this for Google since everything I think of gets me answers about exporting stems, so I'll ask here.

I've got a Logic project that I want to split into 14 individual files for distribution. In Audition, it had a thing where you could set CD track cues and it would let you do a batch export from those markers. Is there a way to do this in Logic Pro 9, or will it be easier to bounce the whole thing as a single .wav and split/export that into individual songs in Audition? I'd prefer not to have to transcode it more than I have to, but I also don't want to fight with exporting every section in Logic by hand and possibly having to redo some so they match perfectly when played back-to-back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

CaptainViolence posted:

I'd prefer not to have to transcode it more than I have to
There's no transcoding in the process you describe using Audition as long as you go from wav to wav with the same samplingrate/bitrate. It's a lossless fileformat. You won't lose quality like when opening and re-saving an MP3.

I'd say even if there's some convoluted way for doing this in Logic, go with Audition, it's made for that poo poo and will allow you to do sample accurate snipping with ease.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's no transcoding in the process you describe using Audition as long as you go from wav to wav with the same samplingrate/bitrate. It's a lossless fileformat. You won't lose quality like when opening and re-saving an MP3.

I'd say even if there's some convoluted way for doing this in Logic, go with Audition, it's made for that poo poo and will allow you to do sample accurate snipping with ease.

Thanks. I didn't think there would be any actual transcoding going on since the formats are lossless, but I get paranoid about stuff like that. Sounds like I have my solution!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

RandomCheese posted:

Set your metronome click to double your intended tempo and then play to it in halftime, the extra tics should help you follow the slower pace and after a while it will feel natural.
Also practice playing as slow as your metronome will allow, usually 40bpm. After settling into this tempo for a bit jumping back up to 80 will feel pretty snappy.

Playing slow but tight is a lot harder than faster speeds because as you've seen the slight timing discrepancies really come through when you have time to analyse the gaps between notes. A good exercise is to intentionally play just before the beat, and just after it as well, it takes a lot of practice to get the muscle memory locked in. If you don't do it already, try nodding your head or tapping your foot to the beat, just keep your body continually moving to the tempo and it will help you internalise it a lot more.

Excellent, thanks.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I've been thinking of making a thread where I'd put... basically all the songs I know, but mostly arrangements I've done, to get people's feedback. I'm struggling with at what point I should do it. I've recorded about half of the grand total of a dozen there hopefully will be. I'm not sure at what rate it will continue because I've left hardest for the last. I'm concerned whether I'm going to get any responses at all depending on my timing, that is, I could dump all of my recordings at once when I'm done, I could put up half now and then continue updating along with my progress, or I also could start with one or two songs and update at regular intervals, having a buffer to rely on. The last option seems like it would be more fitting for a professional musician with professional quality recordings.

Any thoughts?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Trying to predict people's reactions to a thread is always hit-or-miss, but in my experience, it's always better to do a thing than to not do a thing.

:justpost:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
It hasn't been my experience...

I've just half-remembered and half-realized another reason for delaying: it's so that I'd be able to focus on implementing people's feedback, instead of delaying it to record the rest of the songs. And I don't want to mix these together, because I feel like I'm on a path to an important milestone.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I keep wondering if you're even having any fun. The way you describe it all makes it sound very worrisome and stress inducing. Arguably that's not what playing music is for. And neither is posting/making threads.

Relax a bit and :justpost:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I'd just like to say that I'm not simply ignoring your advice, people, but suddenly I've been lacking the time, and the circumstances have been crappy on occasion... and I've also simply forgotten to think about the thread I want to make. :shrug:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have the chords to Whorehouse Blues by Motörhead? I'm trying to make a Mandolin version and can only find guitar tabs, not the chords.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gear question

This may be better suited here than the audio questions megathread.

I got a Tascam DR-07MkII field recorder for screwing around with nature sounds (birds, frogs, ambient nature noise), general field recording, and amateur nature videography. I'd like to start looking into microphones after I get used to the recorder. I'm doing my research about mics through various field recording blogs, forums, websites, etc, but there's a massive volume of stuff to wade through, and not a whole lot of information about matching a mic to a recorder at the low budget level. So I'm looking for advice on babby's first microphone on a small budget (<$150). Stereo, hypercardioid, supercardioid? Good models, bad models? Is there a decent mic that can handle both ambient sounds in stereo and be used for focused sounds, like an individual bird? I've seen the Audio-Technica ATR55 recommended as the most decent of the cheap stuff.

Also, is there a nature/field recording thread that I'm missing?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I've posted the thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709476 But I didn't sleep too well last night, so I can't vouch for the coherency of the OP. (And I forgot the thread tag.) But I didn't want to postpone it further.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Gear question

This may be better suited here than the audio questions megathread.

I got a Tascam DR-07MkII field recorder for screwing around with nature sounds (birds, frogs, ambient nature noise), general field recording, and amateur nature videography. I'd like to start looking into microphones after I get used to the recorder. I'm doing my research about mics through various field recording blogs, forums, websites, etc, but there's a massive volume of stuff to wade through, and not a whole lot of information about matching a mic to a recorder at the low budget level. So I'm looking for advice on babby's first microphone on a small budget (<$150). Stereo, hypercardioid, supercardioid? Good models, bad models? Is there a decent mic that can handle both ambient sounds in stereo and be used for focused sounds, like an individual bird? I've seen the Audio-Technica ATR55 recommended as the most decent of the cheap stuff.

Also, is there a nature/field recording thread that I'm missing?

Well, first, don't underestimate the on-board mics. You're probably going to use those more than anything, especially if you want stereo recordings. The other thing to think about right away is that if I'm reading the specs right, the DR-07 doesn't have an onboard preamp for an external mic. If you were to plug a standard mic into the 1/8" on the recorder, you would never get the mic signal loud enough to record it effectively. This is pretty standard for smaller recorders, and is part of what makes them more affordable.

That being said, if you have some other means of recording using a traditional mic (like an audio interface + a laptop or whatever), for that low of a budget I'd say your first mic should be something like an SM-57. It's durable, sounds decent on just about anything, and will be a mic you'd use even with a pretty robust collection of them. Depending on what you're trying to record, there may be other options, but the 57 is a pretty standard first choice.

Regarding recording an individual bird, you pretty much need a shotgun mic for that kind of recording, and even then it can be tough to isolate distant sounds. The only "cheap" shotgun that I know of would be a used Rode NTG-1. I grabbed one off eBay a few years ago for $125. Even then, it might not do what you're looking for. A lot of field recordists sink serious money into parabolic reflectors and the like to record individual bird calls.

But like I said, all this talk of external mics is sort of immaterial with your recorder, if I'm reading the spec sheet correctly.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 31, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MockingQuantum posted:

Well, first, don't underestimate the on-board mics. You're probably going to use those more than anything, especially if you want stereo recordings. The other thing to think about right away is that if I'm reading the specs right, the DR-07 doesn't have an onboard preamp for an external mic. If you were to plug a standard mic into the 1/8" on the recorder, you would never get the mic signal loud enough to record it effectively. This is pretty standard for smaller recorders, and is part of what makes them more affordable.

That being said, if you have some other means of recording using a traditional mic (like an audio interface + a laptop or whatever), for that low of a budget I'd say your first mic should be something like an SM-57. It's durable, sounds decent on just about anything, and will be a mic you'd use even with a pretty robust collection of them. Depending on what you're trying to record, there may be other options, but the 57 is a pretty standard first choice.

Regarding recording an individual bird, you pretty much need a shotgun mic for that kind of recording, and even then it can be tough to isolate distant sounds. The only "cheap" shotgun that I know of would be a used Rode NTG-1. I grabbed one off eBay a few years ago for $125. Even then, it might not do what you're looking for. A lot of field recordists sink serious money into parabolic reflectors and the like to record individual bird calls.

But like I said, all this talk of external mics is sort of immaterial with your recorder, if I'm reading the spec sheet correctly.

Right on, that helps me a lot, thanks. I'm very new to this kind of gear and still learning how to read spec sheets. Now I see why the lowest level field recorders that are recommended are the DR-100 and Zoom H4. I'll spend my time learning how to more effectively use this thing rather than going after more gadgets.

So my original thought was that by getting a nicer mic, I could quiet the floor down a bit. Is there a simple way of doing this on the machine? I can record in WAV or MP3 at various bitrates; does file type carry a specific floor volume characteristic with it? After recording, I'm amplifying the files in Audacity. Are there things I can do in post to cut the floor out?

As I said, I'm very new to this level of recording, so I appreciate any input on it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Right on, that helps me a lot, thanks. I'm very new to this kind of gear and still learning how to read spec sheets. Now I see why the lowest level field recorders that are recommended are the DR-100 and Zoom H4. I'll spend my time learning how to more effectively use this thing rather than going after more gadgets.

Congratulations, you've arrived very quickly at an extremely important lesson that took me years to learn. You will get much more mileage out of gear, and be a better recordist, by finding out how to get excellent recordings out of cheap or less full-featured gear.

So my original thought was that by getting a nicer mic, I could quiet the floor down a bit. Is there a simple way of doing this on the machine? I can record in WAV or MP3 at various bitrates; does file type carry a specific floor volume characteristic with it? After recording, I'm amplifying the files in Audacity. Are there things I can do in post to cut the floor out?

As I said, I'm very new to this level of recording, so I appreciate any input on it.

Well I'm not totally clear on what you mean by "floor" in this case. But generally speaking, you're either dealing with A) the noise floor, or self-noise of the recorder (the hiss you get when raising the gain on the recorder), or B) the loudness ratio between what you're trying to record, and the ambient noise around it.

For noise floor/self-noise, you'll need to overcome the noise that the recorder imparts on whatever it's recording. This basically means trying to capture the source material as loudly as possible, without turning up the gain on your recorder more than you have to. This usually involves getting closer to your source. I'd normally assume that this isn't the problem you're talking about, but having dealt with a lot of the Tascam recorders, I know that they actually do get kind of noisy if you have to use too much of their internal gain.

For the latter, mic position is more important than anything else. Always experiment with different positions, different angles, different distances. This can be tough if you're recording ambiences, but even then there's going to be some variances depending on where the recorder is. If you're doing nature ambiences around a hill, for example, try the mic facing towards the hill vs. away from it. You may find that certain positions in relation to hard or reflective surfaces will give you better results.

So basically, in either case, try to get closer to your sound source, and try different positions. Recording at a higher sampling rate probably won't make a difference for background or gain noise. You could experiment with different bit depths (i.e. 16 bit vs 24 bit). I don't know that you'd get that significant of an improvement, but it's possible. Since you're using Audacity, you could try the Noise Reduction tool that's included with it. I don't remember the exact process, but I think it amounts to highlighting a section of the audio file that is just noise, then using it. Doing this can sometimes net you pretty good results, but you may have to play around with settings to make sure the end result doesn't sound unnatural or overly processed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MockingQuantum posted:

Well I'm not totally clear on what you mean by "floor" in this case. But generally speaking, you're either dealing with A) the noise floor, or self-noise of the recorder (the hiss you get when raising the gain on the recorder), or B) the loudness ratio between what you're trying to record, and the ambient noise around it.
I'm fairly certain it's self-noise. I did a bunch of recordings at a local wetland the other day. While there was plenty of ambient noise, there's a constant-volume hiss during the quietest portions. I don't have any of the recordings on my Soundcloud yet, or I'd link it.

quote:

For noise floor/self-noise, you'll need to overcome the noise that the recorder imparts on whatever it's recording. This basically means trying to capture the source material as loudly as possible, without turning up the gain on your recorder more than you have to. This usually involves getting closer to your source. I'd normally assume that this isn't the problem you're talking about, but having dealt with a lot of the Tascam recorders, I know that they actually do get kind of noisy if you have to use too much of their internal gain.
I tried several gain levels between 50 and 75, and lower gain did cut some of it down. I'll shoot for a good bit lower and try to find the gain that still captures good sound without clipping too much when I amplify it in Audacity.

quote:

For the latter, mic position is more important than anything else. Always experiment with different positions, different angles, different distances. This can be tough if you're recording ambiences, but even then there's going to be some variances depending on where the recorder is. If you're doing nature ambiences around a hill, for example, try the mic facing towards the hill vs. away from it. You may find that certain positions in relation to hard or reflective surfaces will give you better results.
This is what I'm really going to focus on the most. Today I'm headed out for a couple days of field work on a river with very little traffic noise and lots of birds.

quote:

Since you're using Audacity, you could try the Noise Reduction tool that's included with it. I don't remember the exact process, but I think it amounts to highlighting a section of the audio file that is just noise, then using it. Doing this can sometimes net you pretty good results, but you may have to play around with settings to make sure the end result doesn't sound unnatural or overly processed.
I started playing around with this the other day but didn't have enough time to really dive off into it. I'll revisit it after I bring back some stuff to work with from my field trip.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll get something onto my Soundcloud this weekend. I'd appreciate more critique if anyone is interested.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
I started out playing classical guitar and learned to play with my fingers and nails. It's been more than 10 years since I switched to electric and I've been using picks for another 5 or 6. However, I very much prefer the 'size' and shape of my own index fingernail as a pick (even when it's just slightly grown out) over any pick I've tried so far (I tend to switch between jazz IIIs, various sizes tortex picks and DAVA picks). Not least due to chronic arm inflammations, I enjoy playing with my hands only and it comes to me more easily and fluidly than a pick.

Does anyone know of any nail-like picks? I don't mean fake nails or whatever, I mean picks that simulate the feeling? Or of any useful technique? For reference, the pick I used to enjoy playing with most was a 0.60mm orange tortex.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

Does anyone know of any nail-like picks? I don't mean fake nails or whatever, I mean picks that simulate the feeling?
If you mean that feeling of sliding your nail over the string and resulting 'pop' off the end of your nail giving the string its action, try looking at some of the really thick V-Picks (I use the Infinity pretty much exclusively other than the Red Bears that were gifted to me). They take some getting used to, but the 'glide' over the string and the resulting sound is pretty swank.

You can also use an emery board to shape the ends too if you want to adjust it a bit (or if you're an idiot who insists on doing gratuitous pick slides with expensive picks).

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

Does anyone know of any nail-like picks?

These are comfortable (they don't rely on pinching the blood out of your fingers to lock) and record well: http://www.alaskapik.com/

They may look fragile, but I haven't managed to break my 20+ year old transparent plastic set yet - only use them for recording now and then, though.

e: After trying them on again just now I remembered that the way their thumbpick is cut makes string dampening a little awkward. The ones for the other fingers are fine.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 4, 2015

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

If I have mechanical rights to two songs, do I have the rights to do a mashup or otherwise alter them if its all my own instruments/vocals/etc?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Weird Al says you don't need a permission, but it's nice to ask (if I remember right)... Or maybe that applies only in his particular case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remix#Copyright_implications (drat, I'm not a lawyer, what am I even doing here? :psyduck:)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

supermikhail posted:

Weird Al says you don't need a permission, but it's nice to ask (if I remember right)... Or maybe that applies only in his particular case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remix#Copyright_implications (drat, I'm not a lawyer, what am I even doing here? :psyduck:)

Fair use definitely applies to parody, but it gets way murkier with mashups since they're frequently not interpretable as commentary. My guess is that you're okay if you do have the mechanical rights to both songs, but I'm not a lawyer or anything.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wouldn't it largely depend on what you intended to do with the final product?

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wouldn't it largely depend on what you intended to do with the final product?

Well my understanding is mechanical rights let you sell and perform your cover, but its the alteration part that I'm confused about.

Superimposition
Apr 23, 2014
A quick question for those of you that play strings:

I've been playing cello for a bit more than half a year now but I still can't play for longer than around 5 minutes at once without my right hand starting to hurt.
My instructor said there's nothing wrong with my bow grip, is there anything else I might be doing wrong? Or does it just take a bit longer to get used to it? I remember getting hand cramps when I started playing guitar but those went away fairly soon.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Superimposition posted:

A quick question for those of you that play strings:

I've been playing cello for a bit more than half a year now but I still can't play for longer than around 5 minutes at once without my right hand starting to hurt.
My instructor said there's nothing wrong with my bow grip, is there anything else I might be doing wrong? Or does it just take a bit longer to get used to it? I remember getting hand cramps when I started playing guitar but those went away fairly soon.

Aside from the obvious "loosen your grip", there are a bunch of muscles in your hand that aren't normally used in day to day activities that are activated when you hold a bow. Have you checked out the "Windsheild Wiper" exercise? Its designed for people to get use to their bow grip.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I want to play Runaway by Bon Jovi, but we don't have a key player. Can I find a backing track in Eb somewhere or do I have to make my own? And how should I make my own, if I've never used backing tracks before?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Boz0r posted:

I want to play Runaway by Bon Jovi, but we don't have a key player. Can I find a backing track in Eb somewhere or do I have to make my own? And how should I make my own, if I've never used backing tracks before?
Check on guitarbackingtracks.com, and apparently there's a way to remix whatever they've got up (removing drums, bass, etc) if you need to.

It's pretty easy to make your own really, especially that song, is there any reason you can't just run the keyboard intro on the guitar?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

iostream.h posted:

is there any reason you can't just run the keyboard intro on the guitar?

Not really, but the keyboard thing runs through the entire song, I don't know if it would sound right, but it's worth a try.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you do end up making your own backing track, I'm going to make the thousandth recommendation for Audacity. I made an instrumental recording once just to play around with it, it's very simple. You can record practically anything even on the most basic of skill levels as long as you're willing to do it measure by measure.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Not really, but the keyboard thing runs through the entire song, I don't know if it would sound right, but it's worth a try.
I gave it a listen before I asked that, just hit the intro and the high points of the keyboard parts on the guitar, the only people in the audience who'll notice will be other musicians, and you won't be able to do anything to make them happy anyway. ;)

The hardest thing for you will be transitioning (I'll assume that you're on guitar) from keyboard to guitar, but it sounds easily doable for that one.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
What are the best <$200 mixers out there for playing live? Can be 4 or 8 channels, must have decent reverb.

Victoria_alice
Sep 20, 2008
In protools-- how do i change the automation of inserts (such as d verb) throughout the track (besides turning knobs while originally recording the track)? i am obviously able to do this with things like volume and panning from the drop down menu but can't figure out how to do so with the insert effect levels.

thanks!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Am I violating the "if you're not getting a little practice amp, go straight to the bigger performance rigs" rule by getting a BG250 12 inch? I need an amp and this thing seems to review pretty good.

Maybe not powerful enough?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

PadreScout posted:

Am I violating the "if you're not getting a little practice amp, go straight to the bigger performance rigs" rule by getting a BG250 12 inch? I need an amp and this thing seems to review pretty good.

Maybe not powerful enough?

Not really, no. It'll be fine at first, but it is not going to cut it in a live setting, even if you don't play loud music. Bad acoustics and the audience itself will deaden your sound and mess with its definition, so you'll be turning up the volume to near-distortion and eventually you'll have amp trouble. Most players would recommend you get a powerful head, a cab that'll suit your needs for now, and stomp boxes to taste. Will save money and tears.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Underflow posted:

Not really, no. It'll be fine at first, but it is not going to cut it in a live setting, even if you don't play loud music. Bad acoustics and the audience itself will deaden your sound and mess with its definition, so you'll be turning up the volume to near-distortion and eventually you'll have amp trouble. Most players would recommend you get a powerful head, a cab that'll suit your needs for now, and stomp boxes to taste. Will save money and tears.

Copy that, I saw where the fender Rumble 410 is supposed to be a solid cabinet, I'll research a head to go with it and do that. A bit more money, but screw it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I'm a newbie in this department and am in the market for a retro looking vinyl record player. I suppose $200 is my limit, and so far after some shopping this Electrohome is the lead runner... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004F1NDP4/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1430142348&sr=1-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Suggestions?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
This is probably a dumb idea, so I'm asking here. I'm interested in wiring some guitar effects together in parallel so that I can have the dry signal and multiple effect signals blended together. My idea is to use a combination of something like this and this to split the signal into 4, put it through whatever effects I want, and mix them back into a single signal for my amp. This would be going through the effects send / return for my amp. Will this work, or is it going to sound horrible? I tried to find any posts about someone else trying something like this but I couldn't find anything.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
ignore this

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

DeathBySpoon posted:

This is probably a dumb idea, so I'm asking here. I'm interested in wiring some guitar effects together in parallel so that I can have the dry signal and multiple effect signals blended together. My idea is to use a combination of something like this and this to split the signal into 4, put it through whatever effects I want, and mix them back into a single signal for my amp. This would be going through the effects send / return for my amp. Will this work, or is it going to sound horrible? I tried to find any posts about someone else trying something like this but I couldn't find anything.

You might consider something like the saturnworks parallel loopers, which seem made to do exactly that (+ footswitches). I haven't used them myself yet, but I've been considering doing the same thing and they looked like a good option.