Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I am trying to deduce here, I agree it's way out of balance for an every night commuter. Tirade gunned for me HARD D2, you think I don't have my doubts about him? But I'm trying to make the best out of a crap set of data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Kat Delacour posted:

I am trying to deduce here, I agree it's way out of balance for an every night commuter. Tirade gunned for me HARD D2, you think I don't have my doubts about him? But I'm trying to make the best out of a crap set of data.

Yeah, same.

We have a 1-in-8 chance of being correct if we lynch you. Anidav has made loving huge mistakes, but nothing outright has proven he's scum. We have a crap set of data, but voting for him is statistically more unsafe than voting for you, or anyone else on the list.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Being invulnerable every night isn't completely out of balance if you presume Tirade to be Town. It's still bullshit but .... Catholic.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The list is a red herring, gently caress the list.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Kat has way too much scum ness going on today, the "don't vote me, I defended you" to Anidav was the sealer .

##vote Kat Delacour

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Potted Pirahna, Vanilla Townie.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Sorry Kat, I don't know who's who anymore.

##vote Kat Delacour

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: Hey, that's a hammer for Kat Delacour!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Kat Delacour posted:

The list is a red herring, gently caress the list.

We've got nothing but crap data here, of that, the List is the only thing that has been verified by the mechanics of the game to provide a molecum of accuracy.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Votecount for Day 4

Kat Delacour (9): Tirade, Tirade, Sulla-Marius 88, black_tangled, Tirade, Old Dirty Cumburgs, Fruity Gordo, Mithranderp, Lid, Gough Suppressant, Anidav
Anidav (5): MysticalMachineGun, bell jar, Fruity Gordo, Gwynplaine, bell jar, Splode, Old Dirty Cumburgs, whats for dinner, Old Dirty Cumburgs, Fruity Gordo, Fruity Gordo, Mithranderp, Fruity Gordo, Mithranderp, Kat Delacour
MysticalMachineGun (2): Kommando, bell jar
Old Dirty Cumburgs (1): everythingWasBees
Tirade (0): Anidav, Anidav
Gough Suppressant (0): Kat Delacour, Kat Delacour
Gwynplaine (0): Sulla-Marius 88, Sulla-Marius 88
Splode (0): Sulla-Marius 88, Sulla-Marius 88
Kommando (0): Fruity Gordo, Fruity Gordo
Fruity Gordo (0): Tirade, Tirade

Not Voting (0):

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is March 21st, 2015 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 16 minutes.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

While digital corruption is what threatens the game itself, what threatens the characters themselves is madness. The sun sets on Day Four, with most of the characters as disoriented as a first time Super Mario Galaxy player. The day has seen much belly aching about what should or should not be possible, what the rules would or would not permit.

In Miyamoto-san’s living room, the stench of dog food grows stronger. Far off in Dim Carcosa, great old C++hulhu laughs maniacally.

A consensus begins to form among our characters.

“I think it’s time for a bit of revenge.”

“Revenge?”

“Yes, revenge. Who among us has not felt the sting of Kat Delacour’s bite?”

“I agree! She’s hosed up my third lap far too many times.”

“I bet she’s a GMO. I bet she is.”

“Then it is decided. Get the secateurs.”

Kat Delacour - Potted Piranha, Clean (Town) Vanilla - has been lynched!

:siren: PM your night actions to Those On My Left before midnight, Melbourne time! :siren:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Morning light rolls in. Dread continues to run rampant throughout Mushroom Kingdom. Dread, and incompetence.

A lowly Koopa Trooper, devoid of hope or optimism, visits the dwelling of one of our characters. The Trooper knocks once. No answer. They knock twice. No answer. They force the door and rush inside.

On the table there is a note.

“If you are reading this, I am now dead. Cut down in my prime, like so many of my brethren. Another one of us fallen in the line of duty.

We sign up for this job knowing full well that we gamble with our lives. What we realise only too late is that those we serve and protect don’t like us, and don’t trust us. The systemic oppression that makes up my people’s past has ruined us. It was decided long ago that we would be perceived as feckless henchmen, as tools of the oppressor. I now understand that this decision can never be revoked. The badge I’ve carried has done nothing to change it.

And so it is that one more of us has been crushed underfoot, forced onto the early retirement that carries no government pension. I try to tell myself that I’ve made peace with my fate - that I’m okay with it. I tell myself that I’m too tired to carry on anyway - too tired and too old. I remind myself of all those nights spent trying to wipe away the horrors I’ve seen. All those nights spent chasing at least temporary relief through booze, cigarettes, mushrooms, and anime. I remind myself that it never really worked.

But, in truth, I am not resigned. I hate that I couldn’t solve this case. I hate that it beat me.

I hope that my killers will be caught, tried, and punished. As the great philosopher Wolf once said: In the Mario justice system, squashing-based offenses are considered especially heinous.”

The Koopa Trooper turns the note over, and finds one final line.

“And THAT’S how you post like a detective.”

MysticalMachineGun - Goomba, Clean (Town) Cop - has been killed!

:siren: This day will end at 9pm Sunday 22 March (Melbourne time). :siren:

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 5

Not Voting (15): Anidav, bell jar, black_tangled, everythingWasBees, Fruity Gordo, Gough Suppressant, Gwynplaine, Kommando, Lid, Mithranderp, Old Dirty Cumburgs, Splode, Sulla-Marius 88, Tirade, whats for dinner

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to lynch. The current deadline is March 22nd, 2015 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 12 hours, 12 minutes.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
##vote Anidav

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
People wot I will lynch today: ODC, Fruity, Mith, Anime David.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Fukken lol

I can't even brain anymore, here have a vote

##vote Anidav

More townies for the urban planning god

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I don't actually know/care who is scum at this point because we have lost so thoroughly that we don't have a chance anyway (and my incompetence is assured by the fact that I don't know how we should have acted differently) but I feel like for the people who are going to continue playing Mafia after this that we should just flip as many repeat players as we should so people can get a feel for how they act when they are scum or town

Unless all roles get revealed anyway at the end in which case let's just vote whomever

If anybody is on board I want to vote Gwynplaine

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Fukken lol

I can't even brain anymore, here have a vote

##vote Anidav

More townies for the urban planning god

Fruity and ODC are actually higher on my current scum list than Anidav but I think we're pretty hosed, so I'm voting purely for the pleasure of lynching Anidav for his posting crimes against humanity. We may not win but at least we get to kill anidav. If he's scum then we get a scum kill, if he's town then I will be in the "always d1 lynch anidav" camp from here to eternity.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
My new theory: There aren't any scum in this game. We're all town, and TOML kills someone every night.

What the gently caress.

##vote everythingWasBees

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Okay, something is utterly hosed here.

I targeted MMG as the doctor last night, got an action successful, and yet here he lies dead.

I'm going to posit a theory which may make me look completely loving stupid.

I'm not sure there is a scum team at all, I think TOMLs talk of making a perfectly mathematically balanced mafia game has been cover for the ultimate: making a mafia game in which there is no scum and watching auspoo rend itself limb from limb with a random nightly mod kill.

I'm guessing night 1s double kill was the presence of a one-shot vigilante(perhaps combined with another role)

Feel free to murder me if you think this is totally bonkers because after a successful doctor action still doesn't prevent a night kill I don't know what the gently caress anymore.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
God damnit ODC :argh:

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Gough Suppressant posted:

I targeted MMG as the doctor last night, got an action successful, and yet here he lies dead.

I'm not sure there is a scum team at all, I think TOMLs talk of making a perfectly mathematically balanced mafia game has been cover for the ultimate: making a mafia game in which there is no scum and watching auspoo rend itself limb from limb with a random nightly mod kill.

I'm guessing night 1s double kill was the presence of a one-shot vigilante(perhaps combined with another role)

Feel free to murder me if you think this is totally bonkers because after a successful doctor action still doesn't prevent a night kill I don't know what the gently caress anymore.

Holy poo poo.

##vote Those On My Left

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
##unvote

##vote Fruity Gordo

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hammer Bro, Vanilla Town by the way.

Well played, TOML.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

##unvote
##vote Gwynplaine

Let's do this

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

A strongman hit might go through the doctor's protection? Or another unstoppable ninja.

Aargh as much as I want to sink Anidav I think we're better taking a shot at Fruity or ODC. Need you on board with it though Gough.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

You ever consider that there is just one scum and his role is puppet master which means he has 6 different roles simultaneously and his name is Gwynplaine

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Tirade posted:

A strongman hit might go through the doctor's protection? Or another unstoppable ninja.

Aargh as much as I want to sink Anidav I think we're better taking a shot at Fruity or ODC. Need you on board with it though Gough.

Mind summarizing your case at me, cause I've been preeeettty consistent, friend.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

You ever consider that there is just one scum and his role is puppet master which means he has 6 different roles simultaneously and his name is Gwynplaine

He wasn't on the stat list th-
OH.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

The game's standout concept, patented by Nintendo,[5] is the "sanity meter", a green bar on screen which is depleted by various events, generally when the character is seen by an enemy. It can be restored by such actions as performing a "finishing move" on an enemy or casting a restorative spell. As the bar becomes low, subtle changes are made to the environment and random unusual events begin to occur, reflecting the character's slackening grip on reality. If the bar remains empty, further damage to sanity decreases the player character's health.

One effect which is consistently used is a skewed camera angle accompanied by whispers, cries, and unsettling noises. The lower the sanity meter, the more skewed the camera angle and the louder the sound effects. Fourth wall breaking effects include simulated errors and anomalies of the TV or GameCube (one effect being a Blue Screen of Death); this does not affect gameplay unless the player misconstrues them as actual technical malfunctions and attempts to correct them. There are many different sanity effects, and their length depends on each effect. Not all effects will necessarily be encountered during a given run through the game. A few more commonplace examples include sounds, such as footsteps, women and children screaming, doors slamming, the rattling of chains and the sound of a blade being sharpened; the player character finding him/herself walking upon the ceiling after entering a new room; walls and ceilings bleeding; the volume being lowered, accompanied by a fake television volume indicator on the screen; and the appearance of large numbers of monsters that are not really there, and disappear when attacked. Some sanity effects are character- or area-specific and reflect the individual's personal fears or experiences or take advantage of environmental features (such as a statue whose head turns to follow the player). When the sanity effect is finished, everything goes back to normal and the character often utters a panicked statement to the effect of, "this can't be happening!"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tirade posted:

Honestly I don't buy it. I think that was scums one night kill, and it doesn't make sense for the normal night kill to be strongman.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm abstaining this vote in the hope that it wakes us from this paranoiac nightmare.

If I'm wrong, I think we are already too far gone to recover anyway.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Just checked PMs and bell jar is clean

Nfi what that means or what the caveats are but there you have it

Also don't know why I got told

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
##unvote

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This happened yesterday too... I guess that's their power. Can reveal innocence once each night, sort of like an Innocent Child.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This happened to someone yesterday too.

Sanity effects. Eternal Darkness is leaking into the other games.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
I'm suss on Gwyn too but ODC's use of the statistician list last night was dodgy as gently caress. It just stunk so bad. I know you folks probably won't believe me but I was at a thing last night from 6pm to 7:30pm and couldn't use my phone, and anidav dropped the hammer by the time I switched my phone back on. If I'd seen that post by ODC I would have taken my vote off Kat and on to anidav. It is so, so bad.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

##unvote
##vote Gough Suppressant

Because either the game is rigged and we are all just pawns or you are scum puppet master

In which case we have no power or you are our best bet

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Violence begets violence.

The only way to stop the night kills is to stop the lynching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Tirade posted:

I'm suss on Gwyn too but ODC's use of the statistician list last night was dodgy as gently caress. It just stunk so bad. I know you folks probably won't believe me but I was at a thing last night from 6pm to 7:30pm and couldn't use my phone, and anidav dropped the hammer by the time I switched my phone back on. If I'd seen that post by ODC I would have taken my vote off Kat and on to anidav. It is so, so bad.

Earnestly? Anidav isn't even suss at this point. And I'm skeptical about your all the time commuter claim

• Locked thread