Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I want an expansion pack that is all batshit things that are stupidly expensive and futuristic like the megatube thing Musk is trying to sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Here's another color table, this time with a theme of calm before the storm.

Wallet posted:

Has anyone seen a mod that makes pedestrian paths not suck to place? Trying to run them parallel to roads is a pain in the rear end if you use any curves at all, and doing that without ending up with a bunch of ugly gaps in the pavement is nearly impossible. I wish you could just paint pavement on the ground or something.

Agreed. Drawing a bunch of straight lines seems to be the least laborious option right now, which isn't saying much.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So where do people park if you put trees on all the roads?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
This game is a game I enjoy and am not good at. Especially roads.

SynthOrange posted:

Yes, that is a pedestrian path. Yes it is being used.

I followed one guy and his dog who goes to university on the lower city. He parks his scooter right at the base of the path, then with his dog he walks all the way up to his home at the top.

Real life version, just a little less extreme. (hard to find a good picture of the whole thing).

In some situations escalators can be an effective form of mass transit.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

My first model for the game is coming along!

Now all I have to do is texture it...

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Been having a lot of fun with the mars map, still haven't expanded into the crater just yet, but soon!

and an overview:

I've had to add some motorway roundabouts at the biggest intersections, it seems that you want at least two lanes per direction exiting these so that you get a left turn only lane. Not had them jam yet, but I'm sure they will :)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Does anyone know how to edit sounds? I want to put in different sirens.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Anyone found a good way to unlock the 50% crime building? I am able to get to that level, but can never sustain it for the 5 weeks before emigration drops it back into the 40s.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

Working on a gas power station:

Texturing this is sure gonna be fun!

Request: can you make it bigger? Like have it be an 8x8 sized building at least. Buildings in this game are way too small.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Praseodymi posted:

So where do people park if you put trees on all the roads?

From what I've observed, they still park on the side of the road, the car simply disappears afterwards.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
How does an ice cube factory catch on fire? Jesus Christ.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
There's actually no reason why an ice cube factory would be any less susceptible to fire than any other generic factory, if you think about it. It's not like the entirety of the factory is itself a giant freezer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's more the machinery or packaging or electronics or someone throwing a lit cigarette in a garbage can than the actual goods catching on fire.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Poil posted:

It's more the machinery or packaging or electronics or someone throwing a lit cigarette in a garbage can than the actual goods catching on fire.

No kidding.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Had to redo a part of the model because I hosed up the smokestacks, so they wouldn't unwrap the way I like. Still, they look better now.

Now it's time to texture... oh boy.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
What's the awful beeping noise that happens when you zoom as far in as you can?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Less Fat Luke posted:

What's the awful beeping noise that happens when you zoom as far in as you can?

Buildings being upgraded.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

vOv posted:

Buildings being upgraded.
Oh okay, thanks.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

Anyone found a good way to unlock the 50% crime building? I am able to get to that level, but can never sustain it for the 5 weeks before emigration drops it back into the 40s.

There's a map someone made that will get it for you if you just let it run (here). If you want to do it legit, you need to do it with a small city.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Just picked this up. Game rules, but goddamn I'd better never work in any area that has to do with city zoning/management/whatever.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I finally got home to play a little on a computer that can manage this game, and I even managed to build something I wanted to build since Sim City 4:

An Bus Interchange! And it even works and makes sense! I love this game. (Also you can lock the framerate to 30 with a mod, I didn't manage to force the framerate otherwise)

EDIT: Nicer screenshot without HUD

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 21, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Would it be possible to make a rural street/road mod that extends the distance from roads that you can place zones? Or maybe rural, suburban and urban road sets that limit what type of zones can be laid down and how far away from roads zones are allowed to be placed.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've modded this game longer than i've played it.

A good PC game.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So I've made an interchange. I was unhappy with the version of the West Springfield figure-eight someone posted on Workshop, so I went and created my own from scratch.

Narrower than a cloverleaf, minimizes ramps from the ground level highway, easy U-turns from the elevated portion.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197992884330/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I somehow survived a mass-extinction level event earlier today. I was fooling around on another part of my map and noticed that I was losing close to 2k cims and money for the first time in an extended period. I went from mid 140k to 80k population and lost nearly 4 million dollars as I tried to solve the problem of death care and, weirdly enough, water (even thought I was still in the green with availability and my health rating was at 75%). Ended up getting back in the black at 800k and have been making money ever since. It's almost like it was planned.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

How does an ice cube factory catch on fire? Jesus Christ.

There's many plausible reasons for that happening. Such as an idiot deciding to smoke a crafty fag indoors and drops the butt in a bin without stubbing it out efficiently. Or an electrical appliance fails and some idiot uses the wrong fire extinguisher to put out a small electrical fire. I was baffled to learn washing machines can catch fire but it happens surprisingly more often than you'd think.

Edit: Beaten to it. I really wanted to tell my washing machine story too. :(

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
3DS Max question :

How do you disable lines on the model you're working on. Like the outlines of the edges? It does it when I first open 3DS but as soon as I start looking at my UV map the green lines never go (at least I don't want to try touching stuff and muck something up)

Must be a hotkey to turn on off?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

These screenshots of cities where there are just huge numbers of skyscrapers hugging the edges of a body of water are satisfying some gross form of OCD in me that I never knew I had :staredog:

You should certianly visit Rrio de Janeiro or Hong Kong some day, these are perhaps the ultimate real-world examples of this

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I just got the infinite ore/oil mod but if I apply it to an existing city the city will not load. Is there any way to apply a mod like that to an existing save or do I have to start a new city every time I turn on a new mod? I even had to do this for the one-way upgrade/direction mod.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Police Automaton posted:

I finally got home to play a little on a computer that can manage this game, and I even managed to build something I wanted to build since Sim City 4:

An Bus Interchange! And it even works and makes sense! I love this game. (Also you can lock the framerate to 30 with a mod, I didn't manage to force the framerate otherwise)

EDIT: Nicer screenshot without HUD

Stealing the poo poo out of this design, thank you very much!

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Burgin'

The effects of the great poopocalypse of 2024 have been felt for generations

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

Is it possible to create this as a ploppable item? I've seen some highway interchanges setup as something you can pull down from the workshop.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So I just got the infinite ore/oil mod but if I apply it to an existing city the city will not load. Is there any way to apply a mod like that to an existing save or do I have to start a new city every time I turn on a new mod? I even had to do this for the one-way upgrade/direction mod.
Something may be up. The one-way upgrade/direction mod worked fine for me on an existing save without any issue.

As a side note, I'm not sure about infinite ore/oil, but whoever decided that those things should run out in less than five minutes... made a pretty questionable decision. It's one of the dumbest things about the game at the moment, and makes ore/oil utterly pointless.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Really wishing for a mod that allows you to selectively de-zone one type at a time. Going through neighborhoods of curved roads where the fill tool doesn't do poo poo is not so good.

If I could tell the marquee tool "okay, only de-zone light residential" that would be awesome.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

My second city is turning out pretty well. Over 120,000 people right now and after I built the crosstown expressway it's been running pretty smoothly.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Eiba posted:

Something may be up. The one-way upgrade/direction mod worked fine for me on an existing save without any issue.

As a side note, I'm not sure about infinite ore/oil, but whoever decided that those things should run out in less than five minutes... made a pretty questionable decision. It's one of the dumbest things about the game at the moment, and makes ore/oil utterly pointless.

The biggest complaint I have with the current oil/ore is that the buildings will only deplete the area immediately below them so you have to shuffle your industry around to get all of it. Sideways drilling exists and pumpjacks/mines should be able to take advantage of all of a deposit imo.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Hadlock posted:

Is it possible to create this as a ploppable item? I've seen some highway interchanges setup as something you can pull down from the workshop.

No idea, I never even looked at the asset editor. At least the bus stations wouldn't work as you have to have at least one line connected to a station to exist. If it helps, I used one-way streets in that layout as you can see by the arrows, you can only enter on the road on the left and exit through the other three roads in one direction. This improves the flow and makes it a lot less likely for busses being held up by that odd car or other busses. The hardest part was to convince the engine to let me connect several pedestrian bridges with each other.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 21, 2015

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Police Automaton posted:

The hardest part was to convince the engine to let me connect several pedestrian bridges with each other.
Yeah it can't really decide if your command is to merge or delete the thing you're dragging to.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Is the 'wish we had more services' icon new or have I just never seen it before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So, I thought creating a roundabout at my cities entrance would be a great idea... now it's almost deadlocked