Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Jastiger posted:

No he's saying the planners he sees aren't interested in people that aren't millionaires, which is kind of true. Most of the outfits I'm familiar with do only work on a fee basis with high capital clients vs the every day person.

Isn't there a Goon that will do financial planning? I thought I remembered one offering services for a fee...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

OssiansFolly posted:

Before you cancel ask them if you can convert some or all of it into a Term policy, and if they say yes ask them if it will be at the age the UL policy was issued or at the attained age of the change. This way you can hopefully avoid another medical exam and possibly save premium by getting a policy with pricing from a year ago instead of now!

Financial planning is for everyone...the millionaire misconception is a popular one, but there are a lot more working class saving money that need a new investor than millionaires. This is one thing I am positive app and I will agree on.

I already have a term life insurance, purchased from the same agent at the same time as the universal life. It comfortably covers our family's likely needs in terms of money if we die. Is having two term life insurances a good idea?

I will try to find a financial advisor that works with people under the 1%.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

BarbarianElephant posted:

I already have a term life insurance, purchased from the same agent at the same time as the universal life. It comfortably covers our family's likely needs in terms of money if we die. Is having two term life insurances a good idea?

I will try to find a financial advisor that works with people under the 1%.

Having two Term policies isn't ideal, but you obviously bought those Universal Life policies for a reason. If you had a need for that much coverage don't just throw it away. Having two Term policies won't kill you, but I rarely if ever tell people to just abandon coverage altogether. If you had a need then you probably still have a need now. It won't hurt to ask if you can keep some or all of that coverage for a portion of what you are paying on the UL.

I'd definitely tell you to see if there is a Goon financial advisor...I almost want to swear I saw a post or two for some either in this subforum or on the marketplace....

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

This thread is giving me the willies. My partner & I signed up for a variable universal life insurance policy about a year ago. We also have term life insurance. We have a very good income but we are not rich, and we are about 40 years old. We have a toddler. We are self-employed in our own small business.

Should we cut our losses and cancel the policy?
Absolutely cut the universal and make sure you have ~10-12x each of your incomes on each of you.

We don't have a financial planner. I have no idea how to get a reputable financial planner. They all seem to sell stuff based on what commission they will get. We do need one. How can I get one that gives advice unbiased by what he will get out of it?

I can't truly say we are "banking" on anything, that's how dumb we are. We wanted life insurance to cover our toddler's expenses if one or both of us died, and that's what we got sold. The salesman made it sound awesome, like it would eventually pay for itself, but I'm beginning to worry that it was bullshit and our term insurance would have been just fine.
Most of them (FP's) are poo poo.

Wouldn't your term cover their living expenses? Plus liquidation of your retirement assets of you both died together.

What's the cost on the universal policies, what are each of your incomes, and how long and how much is your term for?

OssiansFolly posted:

Having two Term policies isn't ideal, but you obviously bought those Universal Life policies for a reason. If you had a need for that much coverage don't just throw it away. Having two Term policies won't kill you, but I rarely if ever tell people to just abandon coverage altogether. If you had a need then you probably still have a need now. It won't hurt to ask if you can keep some or all of that coverage for a portion of what you are paying on the UL.

I'd definitely tell you to see if there is a Goon financial advisor...I almost want to swear I saw a post or two for some either in this subforum or on the marketplace....
Why isn't 2 terms 'ideal'? What's the loss of efficiency there?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SiGmA_X posted:

Absolutely cut the universal and make sure you have ~10-12x each of your incomes on each of you.
Most of them (FP's) are poo poo.

Wouldn't your term cover their living expenses? Plus liquidation of your retirement assets of you both died together.

What's the cost on the universal policies, what are each of your incomes, and how long and how much is your term for?
Why isn't 2 terms 'ideal'? What's the loss of efficiency there?

2 terms means you're often paying more for the two policies than you would for one good policy with the same combined face amount.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Auto-insurance question - wondering if someone could help me figure out how to go about fixing this problem.

A few days ago I got an insurance non-renewal notice from my insurance company.

About 6 months ago I was in a completely stupid accident with a parked car where I had to claim about $5k damage to my car and about $2k to the car I hit. I assumed that my rate would rise slightly, but didn't expect this.
Additionally - 2 years ago, my (previous) car was hit when a woman took a left turn off of a side street directly into my car. There was $1k damage to my car (which I paid my $500 deductible towards), and what I assumed was similar damage to hers. I have pictures of both. She had no insurance, was cited for that alone, and I let my insurance company deal with her.

My agent sent me a letter with a replacement policy that's over twice what I was previously paying - so I went and did some investigating and found that my company paid out $35k to the woman that hit me (HER FAULT), and the accident is showing on whatever record that the insurance companies use as at-fault; it doesn't appear to be the state record because I've pulled up my file from the DMV and it's clean.

This old accident is obviously screwing up the quotes I've been getting, because it was such a high payout to this woman that I was completely unaware of.

How can I fix this and get back to paying a normal insurance rate?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Auto-insurance question - wondering if someone could help me figure out how to go about fixing this problem.

A few days ago I got an insurance non-renewal notice from my insurance company.

About 6 months ago I was in a completely stupid accident with a parked car where I had to claim about $5k damage to my car and about $2k to the car I hit. I assumed that my rate would rise slightly, but didn't expect this.
Additionally - 2 years ago, my (previous) car was hit when a woman took a left turn off of a side street directly into my car. There was $1k damage to my car (which I paid my $500 deductible towards), and what I assumed was similar damage to hers. I have pictures of both. She had no insurance, was cited for that alone, and I let my insurance company deal with her.

My agent sent me a letter with a replacement policy that's over twice what I was previously paying - so I went and did some investigating and found that my company paid out $35k to the woman that hit me (HER FAULT), and the accident is showing on whatever record that the insurance companies use as at-fault; it doesn't appear to be the state record because I've pulled up my file from the DMV and it's clean.

This old accident is obviously screwing up the quotes I've been getting, because it was such a high payout to this woman that I was completely unaware of.

How can I fix this and get back to paying a normal insurance rate?

If you're really after it, get the original reports and the statements from your insurance company. Who was it btw? The company?

It seems like they considered you to be at fault here. What state is this? In some states just because they are cited for no insurance doesn't mean they are automatically at fault. The state you're in matters a lot.

It'll be up to you to convince your company that the payment was in error, and I gotta say, that's an up hill battle. They are legally able to pay out what they want instead of fighting it. Convince them to strike the record and start a new with the evidence you gain from the reports.

Good news is its off your record 3 years after the payout

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

NeurosisHead posted:

What is, for you, an acceptable resolution to this discussion?

Any sort of quantitative argument for how whole life come out ahead when compared to term and invest.

Jastiger posted:

Its off topic because we've said there are specific instances where whole makes sense, and you keep running numbers on 30 year olds at massive numbers.

I posted numbers on a 5 year old and 70 year old...

OssiansFolly posted:

I provided numbers for both major times I'd recommend Whole Life...the really young and the really old.

I'm sorry - did I miss this? The only numbers I saw from you were your quotes on policy costs, never any numbers were whole life was actually better. These were my numbers for a whole life policy on a child:

Single pay whole life ($50k) on a 5 year old costs $6,800 -
If you took that $6,800 and invested it, around the expected time of death (80) you'd expect it to be worth over half a million dollars ($537k). If you were worried about dying while you had dependents, you could add in a 30 year term policy to cover 30-60 years old and would expect to have around ($526k). This compared with the $50k the policy will pay out, literally ~$475,000 less than what you could expect to get in the market.

Don't worry about answering any of my other questions - all I ask is: How in the world can you recommend a whole life policy on a child given these numbers?

app fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 21, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jastiger posted:

If you're really after it, get the original reports and the statements from your insurance company. Who was it btw? The company?

It seems like they considered you to be at fault here. What state is this? In some states just because they are cited for no insurance doesn't mean they are automatically at fault. The state you're in matters a lot.

It'll be up to you to convince your company that the payment was in error, and I gotta say, that's an up hill battle. They are legally able to pay out what they want instead of fighting it. Convince them to strike the record and start a new with the evidence you gain from the reports.

This all should have been settled at the time of the accident. That's how all of my at and not at faults were done. *MY* carried decided *MY* fault, not the state or anyone else. I know it vastly varies by state, and I bet it varies by companies too.

My gf got in an accident last winter, a car illegally pulled out in front of her but she didn't call the cops because the person admitted fault and my gf had to get back home so she could get ready for work. our insurance company found her not at fault, so no points applied. The other company found it to be a no-fault accident. It means we both paid our own deductibles and went on our merry way. Kind of dumb, but it is what it is, and its not on her record on LexisNexis (gotta love those work provided 'all access' accounts...) and our carried lists it as Not At Fault. If we hadn't spoken up and clearly documented the situation, my gf snapped pics and such, it wouldn't have worked out so well for us.

app posted:

If you took that $6,800 and invested it, around the expected time of death (80) you'd expect it to be worth over half a million dollars ($537k). If you were worried about dying while you had dependents, you could add in a 30 year term policy to cover 30-60 years old and would expect to have around ($526k). This compared with the $50k the policy will pay out, literally ~$475,000 less than what you could expect to get in the market.

Don't worry about answering any of my other questions - all I ask is: How in the world can you recommend a whole life policy on a child given these numbers?
Can you find a term life child rider quote? I bet its drat cheap. I can't pull numbers out of The Internet for that. To me, that seems to be the way to go if you're too broke to cover funeral costs. *I would hope parents would have at least a solid 6mo+ emergency fund, but from one of my friends that has truck equity and $0 in retirement at 30, and 2 kids, and then some posters on The Interwebs... Oh America :(

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Travelers - I'm trying to get the info from them and figure out why the hell I'm just finding out that they paid out so much
Apparently the claim adjuster they have on file doesn't even do Auto claims anymore, so I have to wait until Monday anyway

quote:

Rhode Island
Any idiot that would have seen the accident (or lives in RI and knows how stupidly people here pull out of side streets) would have known it was her fault, but of course, it was just me, her, and her daughter in the passenger seat

quote:

I'm going to work on it. I assumed my photos, my report, the inspector's report covered this. I also got a letter some months back from a Travelers Subrogator saying they were able to recover a portion of the amount - is it possible that they didn't factor this in?

quote:

So worst case I pay lovely rates for a year and then get back to something in between what I'm seeing now and what I had before?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Travelers - I'm trying to get the info from them and figure out why the hell I'm just finding out that they paid out so much
Apparently the claim adjuster they have on file doesn't even do Auto claims anymore, so I have to wait until Monday anyway

Rhode Island
Any idiot that would have seen the accident (or lives in RI and knows how stupidly people here pull out of side streets) would have known it was her fault, but of course, it was just me, her, and her daughter in the passenger seat

I'm going to work on it. I assumed my photos, my report, the inspector's report covered this. I also got a letter some months back from a Travelers Subrogator saying they were able to recover a portion of the amount - is it possible that they didn't factor this in?

So worst case I pay lovely rates for a year and then get back to something in between what I'm seeing now and what I had before?

Travelers is generally a pretty good company. What likely happened here is that the other person claimed some kind of injury and instead of fighting it, Travelers just paid out on it, hurting you in the process. I don't know what kind of story the lady spun to convince Travelers to do it, but here we are. I had a similar thing happen to me and I ended up almost going to court over it, so strange things DO happen in this regard. Remember, when it comes to pay outs the insurance companies are all about cost vs risk on these, and perhaps they viewed her claim as more risky than the $35K they paid out.

However, the fact that they were able to recover SOME money is kind of strange. I'd want some detail on that. They paid out for medical but not all of it? Then why pay at all? Also, it should reflect the subrogation amount in any report ordered for you. This is Rhode Island so you guys don't have any weird insurance laws that jump out at me other than the ridiculously low liability limits you guys require.

Worst case, yeah. You pay the higher rates for a year then see it go back down afterward, though I'd continue shopping around and digging to see if you can get this expunged. Sounds like that lady took you guys for a ride.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Travelers is generally a pretty good company. What likely happened here is that the other person claimed some kind of injury and instead of fighting it, Travelers just paid out on it, hurting you in the process. I don't know what kind of story the lady spun to convince Travelers to do it, but here we are. I had a similar thing happen to me and I ended up almost going to court over it, so strange things DO happen in this regard. Remember, when it comes to pay outs the insurance companies are all about cost vs risk on these, and perhaps they viewed her claim as more risky than the $35K they paid out.

However, the fact that they were able to recover SOME money is kind of strange. I'd want some detail on that. They paid out for medical but not all of it? Then why pay at all? Also, it should reflect the subrogation amount in any report ordered for you. This is Rhode Island so you guys don't have any weird insurance laws that jump out at me other than the ridiculously low liability limits you guys require.

Worst case, yeah. You pay the higher rates for a year then see it go back down afterward, though I'd continue shopping around and digging to see if you can get this expunged. Sounds like that lady took you guys for a ride.

Yea Travelers and everyone should be using Lexis Nexus so you could call and ask for the report on the accident directly from them. It is in your rights when the reports are run to have a copy of everything sent to you and then to be able to dispute it.

If on Monday you haven't made any progress resolving this or getting the documents to help resolve this please post here. I work as a broker and Travelers is one of the companies I represent so I could look through our system for hopefully a contact.

Also, call your agent and plead your case if you have an agent. They may go to bat for you to keep the policy with Travelers.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

I also got a letter some months back from a Travelers Subrogator saying they were able to recover a portion of the amount - is it possible that they didn't factor this in?

This is strange. If the other party was uninsured, how did Travelers get some portion back? First, they would only be able to attempt recovery if they felt there was shared negligence between both drivers. Then they would have to pursue the uninsured driver directly. Most uninsured parties are not going to agree to pay back part of a claim, especially with apparent injuries involved(35k has to include injuries). If they recovered some of the money, they should forward that percent back to you for your deductible. Companies do reimbursement different so this may not be the case.

If you were considered at fault, you should have also been notified.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Should we cut our losses and cancel the policy?
Yes.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

app posted:

Is this true? My parents bought a whole life policy for my son five years ago, when he was around three years old. How can we figure out what is best now?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

alreadybeen posted:

Is this true? My parents bought a whole life policy for my son five years ago, when he was around three years old. How can we figure out what is best now?

Are they paying on it monthly or is this a paid up policy? If they are paying on it monthly it was a bad decision....if it was paid up in full (or was a 10, 15, 20 yr pay) then leave it alone because it was a good call.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

If you were considered at fault, you should have also been notified.

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with someone in the claims department trying to figure out what happened - she claimed an injury and that I was at fault (which was 100% bullshit). They couldn't prove that she wasn't injured or the fault so decided to settle rather than pursue it, of course, I was never notified of any of this and would have fought tooth and nail to make sure she didn't get a dime. I still don't understand the subrogation aspect.

Until now, I was never notified that I was considered at-fault, nor of the amount that she was paid out.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I have to double check the wording in my auto policy today, but it's a standard ISO form. Should I get the physical damage coverage (CDW) for a rental car I'll be using for 4 days?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with someone in the claims department trying to figure out what happened - she claimed an injury and that I was at fault (which was 100% bullshit). They couldn't prove that she wasn't injured or the fault so decided to settle rather than pursue it, of course, I was never notified of any of this and would have fought tooth and nail to make sure she didn't get a dime. I still don't understand the subrogation aspect.

Until now, I was never notified that I was considered at-fault, nor of the amount that she was paid out.

That sucks...good luck fixing it now. If she cashed that check you have an uphill battle to change fault in the accident now.

Dango Bango posted:

I have to double check the wording in my auto policy today, but it's a standard ISO form. Should I get the physical damage coverage (CDW) for a rental car I'll be using for 4 days?

Hard to say without knowing the details of your policy and the state you live in. Typically in the states I operate out of if you have full coverage on your vehicle and you rent a vehicle then you shouldn't need physical damage coverage from the rental car company. I can't tell you if that is the case for your state...companies have small variances within the ISO forms. What you want to be looking for is that you are not only covered in the event the vehicle is damaged, but that a LOSS OF USE coverage is provided for the vehicle in the event it is out of commission for 3 days and they lose rents because it is being repaired. Also, if you leave the county assume you don't have coverage from your insurance...Canada is easy to fix that, Mexico usually involves small fees and the rest of the world is an absolutely not. Just in case you were travelling abroad.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Goon with the at fault pay out, you've got a big uphill battle. They've already paid out for medical which was likely automatically cashed out, so the money is out there. You've got to convince them to somehow recoup the money and scrub it from your record. The first part is unlikely since it'd probably cost more to litigate for the money than it would to get it back. Scrubbing it from the record is actually doable though, and you should raise hell with Travelers until they do. Make them scrub it from Lexis Nexis and don't stop until they do (or until the time passes where it doesn't matter as much)

Dango Bango posted:

Here is what I tell people when it comes to rental cars:

Rental coverage only covers your rental costs if the reason is because your vehicle is down due to a covered claim. Key word, covered claim. Not if you're vacationing in Florida, not if you have the car in for new tires, but a covered claim.
If you ARE going to get a rental car, your liability is going to follow YOU, so you're going to be covered. But, if you wrap the rental car around a tree, fixing the car isn't covered because YOUR vehicle is covered, not theirs. What will happen here is that the rental company will then sue you for losses and lost income from the car being unavailable to rent out again. This is where your liability will come in, so you'll technically be covered there. I still say to BUY THE PHYSICAL DAMAGE coverage on the car with the rental company. Usually its super cheap like $3 to $6 a day depending on what and where you are. The reason I say to double up is because its easier for you to just pay that and have them fix any scratches you put on it vs having them try to charge you a ton of money out of pocket because there is a scratch down the side. They wouldn't necessarily SUE you over it, so your insurance wouldn't step in for like...$500, but they would certainly put that on you and send it to collections. Easier to pay the piddly physical coverage (BUT NOT THE LIABILITY THE OFFER!) than to rely on your insurance company paying out a small claim on a rental car.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I used to work in claims. God help anyone that damages a rental car and didn't get the damage waiver or have some insurance that covers damages to the rental car.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

OssiansFolly posted:

That sucks...good luck fixing it now. If she cashed that check you have an uphill battle to change fault in the accident now.

Hard to say without knowing the details of your policy and the state you live in. Typically in the states I operate out of if you have full coverage on your vehicle and you rent a vehicle then you shouldn't need physical damage coverage from the rental car company. I can't tell you if that is the case for your state...companies have small variances within the ISO forms. What you want to be looking for is that you are not only covered in the event the vehicle is damaged, but that a LOSS OF USE coverage is provided for the vehicle in the event it is out of commission for 3 days and they lose rents because it is being repaired. Also, if you leave the county assume you don't have coverage from your insurance...Canada is easy to fix that, Mexico usually involves small fees and the rest of the world is an absolutely not. Just in case you were travelling abroad.

Look back over your contract, go to the definitions, and double check the definition of "other owned auto". Nine times out of ten a rented vehicle is defined as an owned auto, and covered per the existing policy limits. So if you've got comp/collision covering your actual car, you've got it to cover your rental.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

A lot of time the credit card you use to rent it might provide some coverage as well

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NeurosisHead posted:

Look back over your contract, go to the definitions, and double check the definition of "other owned auto". Nine times out of ten a rented vehicle is defined as an owned auto, and covered per the existing policy limits. So if you've got comp/collision covering your actual car, you've got it to cover your rental.

I have to contest this because I've seen cases where it WASN'T covered and the insurance company wasn't willing to step in and fix the car. They were requiring that a claim be filed against the driver and the drivers PROPERTY LIABILITY would step in and cover the loss, not the Comp/Collision.

It also makes sense to me as an insurance person. WHy would the insurance company back you renting a Lamborghini Diablo when you're paying to insure a 2012 Honda Civic?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Jastiger posted:

I have to contest this because I've seen cases where it WASN'T covered and the insurance company wasn't willing to step in and fix the car. They were requiring that a claim be filed against the driver and the drivers PROPERTY LIABILITY would step in and cover the loss, not the Comp/Collision.

It also makes sense to me as an insurance person. WHy would the insurance company back you renting a Lamborghini Diablo when you're paying to insure a 2012 Honda Civic?

That's why I say it's a good idea to check the contract. For example, from our contract in IA you'd be right:

quote:

L. "Your covered auto" means:
1. Any vehicle shown in the Declarations.
This provision does not apply to:
a. A vehicle shown in the Declarations after
ownership of that vehicle has been
transferred to another person or
organization by you, a corporation of which
you are the sole owner, or a “family
member”.
b. A vehicle shown in the Declarations that
you, a corporation of which you are the
sole owner, or a “family member” have
been leasing, after the leasing agreement
has been terminated, unless ownership of
that vehicle is transferred by the lessor, to
you, a corporation of which you are the
sole owner or a “family member”.
2. A “newly acquired auto”.
3. Any "trailer" you, or a corporation of which you
are the sole owner, own.
4. Any auto or "trailer" you or a corporation of
which you are the sole owner, do not own
while used as a temporary substitute for any
other vehicle described in this definition which
is out of normal use because of its:
a. Breakdown;
b. Repair;
c. Servicing;
d. Loss; or
e. Destruction.
This Provision (L.4.) does not apply to
Coverage For Damage To Your Auto.

In California it's the same in that the rental car has to be replacing your normal auto for a reason, but physical damage coverage isn't exempted:

quote:

J. "Your covered auto" means:
1. Any vehicle shown in the Declarations.
2. Any of the following types of vehicles on the date you, or a corporation of which you are the sole owner,
become the owner:
a. a private passenger auto; or
b. a pickup or van.
This provision (J.2.) applies only if:
a. you, or a corporation of which you are the sole owner, acquire the vehicle during the policy period;
b. you ask us to insure it within 30 days after you, or a corporation of which you are the sole owner,
become the owner; and
c. with respect to a pickup or van, no other insurance policy provides coverage for that vehicle.
If the vehicle you, or a corporation of which you are the sole owner, acquire replaces one shown in the
Declarations, it will have the same coverage as the vehicle it replaced. You must ask us to insure a re−
placement vehicle within 30 days only if:
a. you wish to add or continue Coverage for Damage to Your Auto; or
b. it is a pickup or van used in any "business" other than farming or ranching.
If the vehicle you, or a corporation of which you are the sole owner, acquire is in addition to any shown in
the Declarations, it will have the broadest coverage we now provide for any vehicle shown in the Declara−
tions.
3. Any "trailer" you, or a corporation of which you are the sole owner, own.
4. Any auto or "trailer" you, or a corporation of which you are the sole owner, do not own while used as a
temporary substitute for any other vehicle described in this definition which is out of normal use because
of its:
a. breakdown; d. loss; or
b. repair; e. destruction
c. servicing;

And because I'm sure no one wants another C/P list, there are still other states where the "do no own while used as a substitute" definition doesn't contain any details about the reason for substitution.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

I don't know all states, so my comments were 100% from the states I operate out of (hence my preface). BUT, the DAMAGES are rarely the concern when a loss in a rental vehicle is concerned. The single most important thing that not all companies will cover is the LOSS OF USE/RENTS. The insurance companies will pay to repair the vehicle, but if Enterprise could have rented that vehicle for 7-10 days and they couldn't because the vehicle was damaged then someone is getting sued for that lost income. Figure at $40-50/day in my market that is $280-$500 that could be coming out of your pocket.

If you are in doubt then buy the insurance if it is a short weekend trip 2-4 days. If it is a longer deal then consult your insurance agent.

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

^^^^
Rental companies will try to tack on loss of use and and an admin fee for the repair of the car. If at all possible tell them to gently caress off.

sheri posted:

A lot of time the credit card you use to rent it might provide some coverage as well

Credit cards will provide coverage to the rental car but never liability.

Rental liability coverage depends on the state, typically in more liberal states (NY for example) the insurance follows the vehicle while in more conservative states (Texas) insurance follows the driver.

I'd recommend buying the damage waiver and the minimum liability insurance they offer to save yourself the hassle

Shats Basoon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 23, 2015

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Did they never call you and take a recorded statement regarding the accident? Did you not pay a deductible?

There are things you can do, but it should definitely start with talking to the adjuster. You may not be as hard-hosed as you'd expect, but you're almost certainly on a litigation timer right now (suit limitation varies by state, you should find out what yours is).

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Looks like I have CDW through my Visa. But to follow up on the policy info -- I have an Allied policy in NE. Definition is the same as what NeurosisHead posted for IA. There's also this exclusion in the "Coverage for Damage to Your Auto" section of my policy:

quote:

14. Loss to, or loss of use of, a "non-owned auto" rented by:
a. You; or
b. Any "family member";
if a rental vehicle company is precluded from recovering such loss or loss of use, from you or that "family member", pursuant to the provisions of any applicable rental agreement or state law.

And where are you guys or what company are you using where CDW is only a couple of bucks per day? From what I've seen it's around $20-$30 per day.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Looks like I have CDW through my Visa. But to follow up on the policy info -- I have an Allied policy in NE. Definition is the same as what NeurosisHead posted for IA. There's also this exclusion in the "Coverage for Damage to Your Auto" section of my policy:

And where are you guys or what company are you using where CDW is only a couple of bucks per day? From what I've seen it's around $20-$30 per day.

In OH it is $7/day at most places around me. I am sure a major city or major vacation destination may be more.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I did it for like $12 a day in Iowa, and I think it was like $25 a day in Florida.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Ossians, where are you located at in Ohio? I'm an OH resident who currently uses Progressive Direct online but have been considering finding an agent and would be open to recommendations.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Is there any rental insurance company that is preferred/recommended around here? I'm in Colorado if that matters.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Wickerman posted:

Ossians, where are you located at in Ohio? I'm an OH resident who currently uses Progressive Direct online but have been considering finding an agent and would be open to recommendations.

I am in the Cleveland area. Do you have PMs? Either I could help you or I could probably recommend someone who may be able to help. I personally don't like Progressive and I think a good chunk of average agents will agree. :smug:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I want to change my home/auto insurance company because I'm not happy with them.

Is there a 'priceline' of insurers anywhere? I don't want to fill out a zillion forms to get a quote from each company.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheReverend posted:

I want to change my home/auto insurance company because I'm not happy with them.

Is there a 'priceline' of insurers anywhere? I don't want to fill out a zillion forms to get a quote from each company.

Hit an independent broker. Done deal.

OssiansFolly posted:

I am in the Cleveland area. Do you have PMs? Either I could help you or I could probably recommend someone who may be able to help. I personally don't like Progressive and I think a good chunk of average agents will agree. :smug:

I actually agree with this.Progressive isn't BAD, but in my experience for the same or a few bucks more you get a lot more features and benefits.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

hbf posted:

Is there any rental insurance company that is preferred/recommended around here? I'm in Colorado if that matters.

To clarify, by rental insurance do you mean for you as a tenant, for you as an income generating property owner, or for something to do with a rental car?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

How does renters' insurance work when you live with roommates or you cohabitate and have shared stuff? Can people share the policies, does each individual have to have their own policy that will try to separate out just their property, or what?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NancyPants posted:

How does renters' insurance work when you live with roommates or you cohabitate and have shared stuff? Can people share the policies, does each individual have to have their own policy that will try to separate out just their property, or what?

For my company everyone needs their own policy. Legally it makes sense to me. Let's break it down with an example.

You're all room mates and each your own legal entity. You're not married to them nor do you share titled property. Someone breaks in and steals a tv in each room. You locked your room and they didnt. Should your insurance company pay for their stuff? No.

Another:

You have personal liability on your renters policy, as they all do. You're out visiting relatives and driving home. Your room mate starts a fire in his bedroom with his cigarettws and causes $80,000 in damages to surrounding units and in lost rents. Should you be legally liable for what he does if you are sued? Are you willing to stand in court along side him because of his behavior? Should your insuranxe company? Likely, no. Though certain leases may change this or laws are different in your state, still likely no.

I for one wouldn't want someone that I'm not related or married to Co signing on contracts with me with big money involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jastiger posted:

For my company everyone needs their own policy. Legally it makes sense to me. Let's break it down with an example.

You're all room mates and each your own legal entity. You're not married to them nor do you share titled property. Someone breaks in and steals a tv in each room. You locked your room and they didnt. Should your insurance company pay for their stuff? No.

Another:

You have personal liability on your renters policy, as they all do. You're out visiting relatives and driving home. Your room mate starts a fire in his bedroom with his cigarettws and causes $80,000 in damages to surrounding units and in lost rents. Should you be legally liable for what he does if you are sued? Are you willing to stand in court along side him because of his behavior? Should your insuranxe company? Likely, no. Though certain leases may change this or laws are different in your state, still likely no.

I for one wouldn't want someone that I'm not related or married to Co signing on contracts with me with big money involved.
What you said makes perfect sense. However, for me, State Farm insures both my girlfriend and I under one policy, we just made sure we had appropriate coverage. Our agent (a real live one, not their website) says everything should be good to go in the event of loss. We are renters though - my friend who owns a house has a homeowners policy, and each roommate ("tenant") have their own renters policies per his agent (AllState IIRC?)