Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I fistpumped and shouted incoherently (but happily) at that last page.

NEXTWAVE IS CANON

This calls for a song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Has anyone told Warren Ellis that Nextwave is his greatest work alongside Planetary?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's going to end up with the Avengers facing down the Beyonder. They ask him why he did it. He thinks and replies, "I Want To Know What Love Is."

I WANT YOU TO SHOOOOOWWWW MEEEEE!!!!

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Is mighty avengers worth picking up on the basis of NEXTWAVE was awesome? Haven't been reading it, but this NEXTWAVE chat is getting me all excited.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

krakagar posted:

Is mighty avengers worth picking up on the basis of NEXTWAVE was awesome? Haven't been reading it, but this NEXTWAVE chat is getting me all excited.

It was worth picking up on the basis that Al Ewing is awesome way before they brought in Nextwave. The last volume was great too.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Deadpool posted:

It was worth picking up on the basis that Al Ewing is awesome way before they brought in Nextwave. The last volume was great too.

Where should I start?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Superstring posted:

Where should I start?

I'm sure others would say start with the recently started volume. I'd say start with the previous one if you can and have the time. That's 14 issues for the last volume and six for the new one. The only stumbling block is Greg Land art on most of the previous, but the writing is great if you can muscle through. I can't stand Land but it was worth pushing through and it's far from his worst stuff though it's still not good.

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 21, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gatts posted:

Has anyone told Warren Ellis that Nextwave is his greatest work alongside Planetary?

I'm not sure how he'd take that, considering he seemed to treat the project as an amusing diversion for hire.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Isn't that how he feels about most of his Marvel work?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Well, he was up for doing a second year of Nextwave, which is more than you can say for his other Marvel books. But Stuart Immonen blew up at around that time and Marvel felt they couldn't financially justify keeping him on such a low selling book and Warren decided he didn't want to continue with a different artist.

Superstring fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 21, 2015

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Superstring posted:

Well, he was up for doing a second year of Nextwave, which is more than you can say for his other Marvel books. But Stuart Immonen blew up at around that time and Marvel felt they couldn't financially justify keeping him on such a low selling book and Warren decided he didn't want to continue with a different artist.

We nerds ruin everything :sigh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nextwave explicitly did not tie in to Civil War or any of the other big events going on at the time, or with any other book, and also did not feature big name characters. It might as well have been asking for low sales.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Nextwave explicitly did not tie in to Civil War or any of the other big events going on at the time, or with any other book, and also did not feature big name characters. It might as well have been asking for low sales.

It wouldn't have been near as great if it had.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

I'm sure others would say start with the recently started volume. I'd say start with the previous one if you can and have the time. That's 14 issues for the last volume and six for the new one. The only stumbling block is Greg Land art on most of the previous, but the writing is great if you can muscle through. I can't stand Land but it was worth pushing through and it's far from his worst stuff though it's still not good.

I'd say you should definitely start with the previous one though since the current one follows up on a lot of the previous plot threads/characters from there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It wouldn't have been near as great if it had.

Of course, I'm just making my usual point about the way Marvel has conditioned readers to not read books unless they're "important".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I wonder if it'd do better in today's environment, with books like Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel doing well despite not really tying into much of anything else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Foreigner Belt idea is the best idea. I look forward to this Wednesday.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Gatts posted:

The Foreigner Belt idea is the best idea. I look forward to this Wednesday.

Aqua teen hunger force would probably sue since the mooninites already used that idea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shawn posted:

Aqua teen hunger force would probably sue since the mooninites already used that idea.

:thejoke:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shawn posted:

They also plotted bombing boston

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lurdiak posted:

They did have a cover with Civil War trade dress, though. :v:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

They did have a cover with Civil War trade dress, though. :v:

It would be super awesome for Ewing to reunite Nextwave in Mighty Avengers to fight the Beyond Corporation, I want more Ellis Machine Man, and Elsa Bloodstone.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I desperately want somebody to use The Captain. Well, not Dan Slott.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm the guy who doesn't like Nextwave it's me

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I'm the guy who doesn't like Nextwave it's me

I mean, on one level Next Wave is just five Rocket Racoons yelling "Bang murdered you" for 6 issues. Obviously it's way better and funnier and good art and interesting enemies, but it's still in that region and I can see that not appealing to everone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

E&C really hates Nextwave.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea what Nextwave is about, and I asked a guy at the store I used to work at and he called it the most self-indulgent Ellis garbage he ever read. So, ymmv

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nevvy Z posted:

I mean, on one level Next Wave is just five Rocket Racoons yelling "Bang murdered you" for 6 issues. Obviously it's way better and funnier and good art and interesting enemies, but it's still in that region and I can see that not appealing to everone.

"Not being terrible" is a pretty big difference.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Four Score posted:

I have no idea what Nextwave is about

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
In an interview with Remender about his "Hail Hydra" Secret Wars series.

quote:

"I'm working on the big post-'Secret Wars' project right now, and it allows me to give readers a very clear and true starting point with a beloved franchise," Remender said. "It enables me to pick and choose what I think are the most integral and exciting aspects of that property. Coming out of the other end of 'Secret Wars,' I'll have the opportunity to do things in a much cleaner fashion. "

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sounds like either X-Men or Fantastic Four. I'd guess he's the new Uncanny X-Men writer.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
The only title of his that I haven't gotten bored with and dropped is Deadly Class. For me, he ran his X-Goodwill into the ground with Uncanny Avengers. But maybe he could recapture some of that UXF magic if they gave him UXM. Everyone's ready for something a little different than The World's Slowest Storyteller.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Four Score posted:

I have no idea what Nextwave is about, and I asked a guy at the store I used to work at and he called it the most self-indulgent Ellis garbage he ever read. So, ymmv

Your guy at the store is a loving dumbass, NEXTWAVE is top tier Ellis. If you hate him in general its not going to change your mind, but otherwise it's amazing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Didn't Ellis write that Ghost box poo poo where they end up nuking Forge or something? Because that was the most self-indulgent Ellis wank I can bring to mind by leaps and bounds.

But I've never read Nextwave so I guess I'll go fix that now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Spiderdrake posted:

Didn't Ellis write that Ghost box poo poo where they end up nuking Forge or something? Because that was the most self-indulgent Ellis wank I can bring to mind by leaps and bounds.

But I've never read Nextwave so I guess I'll go fix that now.

I liked the overall idea of the ghost boxes but coming in after Whedon and having a really lovely artist didn't do him any favors. If the art was better and he hadn't come in after Whedon it would have just been a mediocre arc of X-Men that nobody remembers. Turning Forge into a bad guy wasn't particularly interesting either.

I like Ellis' Thunderbolts more than NextWave but I think NextWave is probably better in the overall.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yeah, Nextwave is pure Ellis, so it uses ACTION and DARK HUMOUR and CONTINUITY? gently caress CONTINUITY as giant clubs to beat everything else out of the story but drat if it wasn't something I needed right then.

Also callbacks to some of the never-visited history of Marvel Comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nextwave doesn't even approach the most self-indulgent Ellis work, and I say this as someone who doesn't really love Ellis and isn't too high on Nextwave.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

I liked the overall idea of the ghost boxes but coming in after Whedon and having a really lovely artist didn't do him any favors.
Bianchi is great for certain types of comics, but these X-Men comics were not those (well, the landscape shots were very pretty). I wish Jimenez had been brought in at the beginning, as his work on the second arc was pretty strong, I thought.

The Ghost Boxes short stories were awesome, too. :colbert:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 24, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

redbackground posted:

Bianchi is great for certain types of comics, but these X-Men comics were not those (well, the landscape shots were very pretty). I wish Jimenez had been brought in at the beginning, as his work on the second arc was pretty strong, I thought.

The Ghost Boxes short stories were awesome, too. :colbert:

I was thinking of Kaare Andrews not Bianchi. I didn't mind Bianchi's stuff so much but it was definitely a bit too messy after Cassaday.

God just thinking about the art in that Africa X-Men story is vomit inducing.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Your new Avengers! Well, two of them!

• Locked thread