Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

That is a pro click right there my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Birdstrike posted:

That is a pro click right there my friend.

It's not often that Pyne is a pro click but this does seem to capture his essence quite well.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
John Howard reckons Abbotts performance in almost defeating a first term government proves he can make a comeback. I reckon he's just really good at destroying first term governments.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

I keep hearing about these but I have yet to see any evidence of them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soldiers dying, children getting raped it's all 'poo poo happens' Tony.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SynthOrange posted:

Which is arguably still not a patch on Sarah Hanson-Young's "Tragedies happen, accidents happen" while the Navy were still hooking smashed baby corpses out of the ocean.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Birb Katter posted:

It's not often that Pyne is a pro click but this does seem to capture his essence quite well.

Pyne wouldn't go five minutes without annoying Vader enough to get choked to death.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

Mate, it's not a like it's a small tax increase on businesses or anything.

You know something important, and worth getting angry about.

Edit: looks like one of Abbott's minders reminded him that normal people don't just shrug off sexual abuse incidents.

Tony Abbott now saying: "These are very important, very important, and very disturbing claims, very disturbing findings, and that is why we have fully accepted the recommendations of the report,"
Which is at least somewhat closer to a proper reaction. As it seems doubtful he is going to actually try and change the situation on Nauru any for the people imprisoned there, in the end it doesn't really matter what words he used.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 22, 2015

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

I recant my previous statement, this plank has clearly eaten a kindergarten of children.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Tony Abbott now saying: "These are very important, very important, and very disturbing claims, very disturbing findings, and that is why we have fully accepted the recommendations of the report,"
Which is at least somewhat closer to a proper reaction. As it seems doubtful he is going to actually try and change the situation on Nauru any for the people imprisoned there, in the end it doesn't really matter what words he used.

I reckon it got back to the ministers that the abuse is too well documented to pretend that its not really happening, or that its only a couple of cases that need 'further investigation'. Better to start slowly walking it back now because it will eventually come out and this way they appear that they were proactive, and give off the illusion that they aren't evil pieces of poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tokamak posted:

I reckon it got back to the ministers that the abuse is too well documented to pretend that its not really happening, or that its only a couple of cases that need 'further investigation'. Better to start slowly walking it back now because it will eventually come out and this way they appear that they were proactive, and give off the illusion that they aren't evil pieces of poo poo.

Why start now though?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SynthOrange posted:

Why start now though?

Shorten.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It gets to a point where it becomes cost prohibitive to contain a problem, so it be better to try and get ahead of it to minimise its impact. In political terms, it is a softening of stances. I would speculate that they are doing it to try and save votes for when the bombshell (that asylum seekers are 'treated inappropriately') is dropped. Maybe they are expecting it to happen before the next election?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Cue millions of people lining up with crocodile tears to exclaim "we had no idea"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Gough Suppressant posted:

Cue millions of people all the LNP parliamentarians lining up with crocodile tears to exclaim "we had no idea"

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Nah Gough had it.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Margie Abbott is the woman in the red coat out of Band of Brothers

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Reminder that Joe Hockey literally cried in parliament at the thought of asylum seeker children being separated from their parents

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

cpaf posted:

Reminder that Joe Hockey literally cried in parliament at the thought of asylum seeker children being separated from their parents

Reminder that Joe Hockey's tears are 82% bacon fat.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

:australia:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

quote:

there's nothing "racist" about defending oneself against an ideology that embraces all races of people

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Konomex posted:

Reminder that Joe Hockey's tears are 82% bacon fat.

So he eats them?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

quote:

THE tragic story of Queensland schoolboy Daniel Morcombe is being made into a movie, set for release in 2018.

Bruce and Denise Morcombe announced they have signed a feature film deal with Australia’s Heritage Films at a Daniel Morcombe Foundation fundraising event in Brisbane on Saturday night.

Attendees were shown a short trailer for the film, which has the working title Where Is Daniel? and will be directed by Peter Cousens.

Daniel was 13 when he was abducted from a Sunshine Coast bus stop in 2003 and murdered by child sex offender Brett Peter Cowan.

“Denise and I feel we have reached a place where we can finally reveal our story in a different way,” Bruce Morcombe said on Saturday night, The Sunshine Coast Daily reports.

“We have found a production company and director we trust and with whom we have a great connection.

“We believe in their hands the world will discover our story and the legacy of Daniel from the unique perspective of a feature film.”

Heritage Films founder Rod Hopping said his production company aimed to release the film to a global audience, “we believe a story of this magnitude will attract some of Australia’s finest international actors.”

“At this early stage we are pulling together investment from a variety of sources, including government industry funding as well as private equity.
We welcome interest in our project as we journey forward with enthusiasm around what we know will be a major motion picture both for Australia and beyond,” Mr Hopping said.

The script is yet to be developed and casting has not yet taken place. Filming is expected to commence in 2016.
:whoptc:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why would they do this?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

starkebn posted:

Can someone tell when the thread might have something worth reading posted to it?

There will be another excellent op on April 1st.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

nah this is no good

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Drugs posted:

nah this is no good

I find it kind of disrespectful and it makes the parents look like greedy fuckers?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
yes i agree. the story is what is no good, not the duck

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
So apparently my tutor for half my classes is the labour candidate for the South Coast this weekend. Now I'm torn because I would be stoked to get rid of Shelley Hancock but I don't want to lose my tutor.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

I find it kind of disrespectful and it makes the parents look like greedy fuckers?

lmao you're going to tell the parents of Daniel Marcombe that what they do is disrespectful to Daniel's memory? Also he vanished in Dec 2003, I agree that waiting 11 and a bit years to make a movie definitely marks them as greedy fuckers, especially as it's only been about a full year since Brett Cowan was found guilty of his murder.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

bowmore posted:

why would they do this?
:20bux::wtf::20bux::wtf::20bux::wtf::20bux::wtf::20bux::wtf::20bux::wtf::20bux::wtf::20bux::wtf::20bux::wtf::20bux::wtf:

It probably felt like a good idea at the time.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Daniel morcombes parents can do what they loving like imo and anyone telling them they should live a hermit like life of self denial due to never ending grief should get hosed.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What a heartwarming tale it will be too.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gough Suppressant posted:

Daniel morcombes parents can do what they loving like imo and anyone telling them they should live a hermit like life of self denial due to never ending grief should get hosed.
OK, but it won't stop people from asking WTF why?

e: Ha! Nice avatar there. So many opportunities as a Nazi massively into urophilia I can't but feel an opportunity has been missed.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 22, 2015

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bowmore posted:

why would they do this?

because australian cinema is a loving cultural wasteland

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I change my mind, my initial opinion was Very Bad and it's nobodies place to say what the morcombes can and can't do

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Going from charity to a movie deal is a weird step to take, really. The price tag must of been immensely expensive for the rights buyer.

The movie will probably be a commercial failure and will be sent straight to Channel 9 to be replayed every 2 years.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

because australian cinema is a loving cultural wasteland
I disagree

Snowtown, Wake in Fright, Mad Max, Chopper, The Badabook, Dark City all good movies from Aus

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Will Bryan Brown be in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bowmore posted:

I disagree

Snowtown, Wake in Fright, Mad Max, Chopper, The Badabook, Dark City all good movies from Aus

six movies in however many years?

yeah sure

• Locked thread