Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LemonRind posted:

Went 4-0 with a very nice Silumgar pool. Got the make an x/x zombie enchantment, the assassin, and the bounce creatures your opponents controls exploit guy. Exploit was really fun to use as positioning your guys to die for a greater effect after a few turns works out real nice depending on the effect.

The exploit aven was a guy that I was always hoping to see as losing a small guy/2 life to get a few cards, and a flier was always worth it, and the profaner of the dead was just an absolute beating when it went off. It also helped that I had two of the blue rebound make a 2/2 flier as I wasn't sure of them coming into the prerelease, but I was never sad to play them as they gave me four power worth of flying as well as being exploitable.

What was your main exploit fodder? I think I maybe should've run one of the return dead guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Jesus loving Christ I want this. What's the actual card?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

Jesus loving Christ I want this. What's the actual card?

Glory (Judgement promo)

Other foreign language prerelease promos:
-Kavu Furens (Raging Kavu, posted already, from Invasion)
-Ό πλανώμενος Φελδδαγρίφος (Questing Pheldagriff, Ancient Greek MAYBE mangled-ish?, from Planeshift)
-फंगल्शम्ब्लर् (Fungal Shambler, Sanskrit, from Apocalypse)
-باسلْ ليسك - الحجر واللسان (Stone-Tongue Basilisk, Arabic, from Odyssey)
-Воин Лакватуса (Laquatus's Champion, Russian, from Torment)

I still say they missed a good chance of making some Ancient Greek promos with Theros block. Would have been neat.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Glory (Judgement promo)

Other foreign language prerelease promos:
-Kavu Furens (Raging Kavu, posted already, from Invasion)
-Ό πλανώμενος Φελδδαγρίφος (Questing Pheldagriff, Ancient Greek MAYBE mangled-ish?, from Planeshift)
-फंगल्शम्ब्लर् (Fungal Shambler, Sanskrit, from Apocalypse)
-باسلْ ليسك - الحجر واللسان (Stone-Tongue Basilisk, Arabic, from Odyssey)
-Воин Лакватуса (Laquatus's Champion, Russian, from Torment)

I still say they missed a good chance of making some Ancient Greek promos with Theros block. Would have been neat.

I got Wayne England to sign my Arabic Stone-tongued basilisk at the Gp at the start of the month.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What language was that Kavu in? Latin?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Undefeated at the Midnight Prerelease with Dromoka. Just solid cards, with Hidden Dragonslayer (awesome) and Foe-Razer Regent (underwheming) and good removal.
At the noon prerelease today, undefeated again, with Dromoka. Had Anafenza, never got a single bolster off her, but I did crack some interesting rares. Pack one, got a Dragon Whisperer. Pack two, got a Dragon Whisperer. With a shortage of removal in my white in comparison to the previous event, I decided that my pretty strong green needed to take a backseat to red. It worked out well. Hopefully the wife will let me play Sunday, but I'm kinding doubting that. I will probably go Dromoka again, despite the interesting stuff going on in the other broods, as it seems really consistent when even your bad cards end up as terrifying monsters.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

UW monk tempo got me third place at 4-1 with garbage cards. I didn't even have the good tempo cards really. Just a decent amount of Prowess and pseudo-prowess and hecka spells.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

suicidesteve posted:

Sorry bud. 100 card singleton is the one true format.

This is why I like Alex from the Loading Ready Run crew. He is all "standard, modern, EDH whatever. I just play Highlander!"

Magic has many formats so just play the ones you enjoy and don't hate on the ones you don't. It's like arguing over music when you were 14...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DoctorOozy posted:

This is why I like Alex from the Loading Ready Run crew. He is all "standard, modern, EDH whatever. I just play Highlander!"

Magic has many formats so just play the ones you enjoy and don't hate on the ones you don't. It's like arguing over music when you were 14...

But Papa Roach was better than Linkin Park.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

C-Euro posted:

What language was that Kavu in? Latin?

Ita Vero.

suicidesteve posted:

But Papa Roach was better than Linkin Park.

Good lord. :can:

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 22, 2015

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Rinkles posted:

What was your main exploit fodder? I think I maybe should've run one of the return dead guys.

Probably the 1/3 guy who gets +1/+0 and is unblockable when you cast a spell, and the 1/1 that can't be blocked. They were good early plays that could get in a few damage then give me a relevant exploit ability when needed. In all honestly though I was generally exploiting the least relevant guy on my board unless it was the profaner then I was trying to do whatever got me the most value.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
By the way, the new Anafenza is "Anafenza the Cute-ghost" not "Ghost Waifu", you plebs. :colbert:

e: Also if you aren't megamorphing the Gudul Lurker you are Doing It Wrong

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Went 2-1 with GW and tiny red splash for Dragonlord Artaka that never happened. Assault Formation won the hell out of some games for me if only because I could pump up their butts. MVP creature was Hidden Dragonslayer, as he was a loving worker. Where The gently caress Were You award goes to Oracle of Ojutai.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Even though I had a 2 o'clock meeting I payed to open a box and play round 1. I got GARBAGE. straight. Garbage.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Went 2-1-1 playing Atarka pool. Promo was the 5/3 sweeper dragon.

Fate rare was Rally! Woo!

Opened Anafenza, but couldn't play her, sadly. Round 1 my opponent dropped her turn 2 both games. He also had 3 Misthoof Kirins which were super annoying. Lost that match easily, he had a super sweet Dromoka deck that was great at curving out and stomping down.

Second match I tied because someone said to my opponent, "Why don't you kill his Sabertooth now with that kill spell because has no other creatures to bounce to make it invincible?" during our second game so I lost. They then stuck around talking and taking up our drat time so we ended up going to turns and ultimately drawing game 3. (I'm a little salty, can you tell?)

I won the next two matches.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

odiv posted:

Second match I tied because someone said to my opponent, "Why don't you kill his Sabertooth now with that kill spell because has no other creatures to bounce to make it invincible?" during our second game so I lost. They then stuck around talking and taking up our drat time so we ended up going to turns and ultimately drawing game 3. (I'm a little salty, can you tell?)

Is this poo poo (giving a player advice, but to a lesser extent the ongoing talking) really tolerated even at a prerelease REL?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

Is this poo poo (giving a player advice, but to a lesser extent the ongoing talking) really tolerated even at a prerelease REL?
Not at any store I play at. If that poo poo went down at my usual LGS, the guy would get a warning at the very least and if he kept on interfering with a game like that (either by not shutting the gently caress up or by giving advice to a player) he'd get tossed out.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Depends a lot on whether ChattyPants is another player or not. Regardless, if you feel outside interference is creating problems (at casual REL) it's largely up to you to ask people to stop and/or call a judge to intervene.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I see prereleases and fnms as casual things so I don't want to be an absolute hard rear end about the rules at the expense of fun. And it turned out my opponent didn't know how Sabertooth worked, so I am not going to get too bent out of shape about it since it really was a no-brainer play. The chatting is absolutely a problem though and I should have said something, but I didn't realize we were that close to time.

Back when I was playing mono green devotion in standard I did have to politely tell people to gently caress off though, because apparently everyone wants to keep track your devotion for you. Having 3 people say 3 different numbers while I'm trying to count got on my nerves pretty loving quick.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Will stores start doing Dragons drafting next Friday or still do Khans for a while or is it up to the store?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dohaeris posted:

Will stores start doing Dragons drafting next Friday or still do Khans for a while or is it up to the store?
Starts friday at most stores. Khans is basically done.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dohaeris posted:

They can start dragons drafting as soon as they're allowed to sell packs, which is Friday, and there's no reason not to.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mikujin posted:

Depends a lot on whether ChattyPants is another player or not. Regardless, if you feel outside interference is creating problems (at casual REL) it's largely up to you to ask people to stop and/or call a judge to intervene.

Is it kosher for observers to point out if they're getting things wrong? There was a guy who cast the "Deal 2 damage to target creature and target player, draw a card" and the opponent cast Feat of Resistance to save his creature, and said "Spell fizzles, don't draw a card" and I pointed out that it has the player as a target as well, so doesn't fizzle. I know at competitive REL you're supposed to tell the players to stop while you get a judge, but that doesn't seem reasonable at FNM.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dohaeris posted:

Basically every store will start running Dragons/Dragons/Fate drafts for their weekly official draft nights, or whatever they do. Every store I've been to, though, if you can get a pod of 8 going while they're open will let you draft whatever you want if they're providing the packs, usually providing judging, prize support, etc.

By the way, is anyone's store doing special additional prerelease stuff? For this one, in addition to the two initial rolls everyone got on the Dragonfury board for the promo cards, they let everybody come up and roll again in between each round. Whoever has the highest total score between all five of their rolls at the end of each event wins a playmat, and whoever has the highest cumulative score across all 5 events over the course of the weekend gets a free fatpack.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 22, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Its fine to wait to call a judge. You're supposed to. Judges are there to help for crying out loud.

Call a judge.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Deathmist Raptor is 15 bucks now. Now the card is super powerful but I don't see a deck in the current standard that wants it...

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I got four dragons in my pre-release pool!!!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Deathmist Raptor is 15 bucks now. Now the card is super powerful but I don't see a deck in the current standard that wants it...

Devotion I guess? :shrug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Devotion I guess? :shrug:

That's the most logical home I just have no idea what you're taking out for it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

I got four dragons in my pre-release pool!!!

Me too! I got the lifelink Mightymorph guy, the Taurean Mauler guy as my promo, the double ritual when attacking guy, and the red guy who revenge-bolts your opponent for targeting it.

Apparently they're Shellhide, Sunscorch, Thunderbreak, and Ventmaw. It went pretty well.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Went 5-0 losing only one game to a insane UB deck with two of the wrath dragons, tasigur and a lot of other very nice cards.

Considering I stayed up all night playing Cards against Humanity and other flavors of board games at my local game store and having 30+ hours of sleep deprivation, I am surprised I didn't fall asleep while making the sealed deck, let alone winning the whole thing. It was the first time I ever won a pre-release, I started at Theros :)

Went Atarka, my rares were very unexciting, with the stand out being Harbringer of the Hunt as my pre-release promo and opening Descent of the Dragons and Yasova Dragonclaw in my colours. Combined with a nice removal suite of 2 Twin Bolts, Roast, Draconic Roar and a bathe in dragonfire, I made a formidable GR midrange deck and the main thing about it was that it was very consistent and when formidable was activated, some of the abilities were insane.

The card I was most impressed with was the 1G 2/2 which if formidable was triggered, you could pump him +4/+4 for 5 mana, that dude is a house late game with other formidable creatures like the stampeding elk. RG aggro in this sealed format is a legitimate tactic with everyone trying to cast big dragons, simply curving out and killing them before they land any dragobomb is definitely a thing.

Samael fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 22, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was a little underslept for today's prerelease and started having a headache midway through. I knew I made some sloppy plays, but driving home I couldn't visualize any particular misplay which I normally try to do (I had trouble remembering the colors of my opponents). After an unusual late day nap, suddenly so much clarity! I realized a bunch of mistakes, and bad deck choices.

I guess it pays to get a proper night's sleep before FNM, but moreover it's a relief to to have that memory playback back. I don't mind losing, but I like being able to tell why.

E:^ this guy's obviously in another league

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

My favorite thing all night was flipping a Maternal Witness to counter my opponent's Defeat and get back my Misthoof Kirin (it was the only card in my graveyard and he'd Flattened it a few turns ago.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why are people so hyped on Deathmist Raptor? Doesn't it require you to play a bunch of other morphs for it to be good? And other morphs actually see play outside of limited? Rattleclaw Mystic I guess? Is it just that people think it will go into the Whisperwood / Mastery of the Unseen deck?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Entropic posted:

Why are people so hyped on Deathmist Raptor? Doesn't it require you to play a bunch of other morphs for it to be good? And other morphs actually see play outside of limited? Rattleclaw Mystic I guess? Is it just that people think it will go into the Whisperwood / Mastery of the Unseen deck?

It's because Whisperwood/Mastery.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Yeah, not really getting the hype for Deathmist either. Sure, it seems fine in G/W Devotion, but the card itself is so unexciting that I don't really understand how it greatly improves the deck.

On another note, I'm probably going to play Mono-U Devotion on release day FNM because that seems like the best day to try out random jank, and I've been missing the deck so bad.

qbert fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 22, 2015

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

At my first prerelease I went Silumgar, made a bad U/B pool with a ton of exploit and no sacrifice fodder, lost round one, remade the deck to be R/B and awesome witha poo poo load of great removal, and didn't lose another game to go 3-1. Had Sidisi, Zurgo, and Foul Renewal in my deck, and had Narset in my pool. Got a foil Zurgo from prizes.

Second prerelease went R/G, had a mediocre deck with Atarka and Descent of Dragons. Went 2-2 and sneaked into top 8 somehow. In the first round of top 8 got paired against the #1 seed, beat him with Descent of the Dragons and just generally having more creatures, then split top 4 to get 15 packs. Opened another Narset, Sarkhan, and Ojutai.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I really want to make a UWx control deck for standard and I am having trouble between picking jeskai or Esper, which one do you think will be stronger in the future metagame?

Jeskai-

Anger of the Gods, Steam Augury, Keranos, Mindswipe, burn spells, access to tri land?

Esper-

Thoughtseize, Tasigur, Drown in Sorrow, Bile Blight, Silumgar's Command, more fetches?

Samael fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 22, 2015

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
2 pre-releases is too much for me at 33 yrs old. I started at 10 am today and got home around 9:30. Ugh...

Went Silumgar pack both rounds (though I tried to switch to Ojutai for second round and LGS shop owner was fine with it but his nucklehead employee wasn't having it. Both promo cards were Profaner of the Dead which is a loving dumpster.

First deck was a sweet U/B/w exploid w/ card advantage deck (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-03-15-prerelease1/) I splashed white for extra removal since I didn't have too many bombs in these packs. I had great green and red cards and almost went w/ those but ended up wanting to try the exploit mechanic more.
I had some pretty sweet plays with this deck - Game 1 I had youthful scholar out, exploited it to draw 2 cards, played dutiful attendant and a second youthful scholar, got some damage in then played my dragon to wipe the board, draw two cards, and return the first scholar back to hand.
I also sacced the scholar to gurmag drowner a few times to get 3/6 of my top cards which was pretty great. I wish I had some delve in these packs though.
Shambling goblin + minister of pain also gave my opponent a board wipe at one point as well.
First match I 2-0'd then I got paired up against a GW deck that completely destroyed me both games w/ a mega-Aven Sunstriker + Taigum's Strike for 16 unblockable flying damage. Looking back, I should have sided in one of my THREE defeats.
Match 3 this kid wrecked me with loads of bolstering white creatures that my puny removal didn't do anything against.
I feel like I could have taken either of these matches if it hadn't been for severe mana problems. Match 4 my deck performed well and

Second deck my blue cards were terrible but I had good Red and White... I ended up going BR with a sweet dash & removal focused deck. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-03-15-prerelease2/
First match up I barely lost at 1-2, the final game I had 2 big misplays that cost me the game; first he had two creatures on the board to my 0 on turn 3 and played mind rot when I had Sarkhan's rage, defiant ogre, flatten and bathe in dragonfire in hand. I discarded flatten and bathe which left me with no removal for some of his creatures. Later I played Sprinting warbrute and on his turn he made it a 0/2 with reduce in stature and attacked. I should have chumped at that time since it wouldn't be untapped again for the rest of the game. This would have saved me 3 dmg and I would have been able to Sarkhan's rage him the turn I put him to 4 but I couldn't since I was at 2.
But he was a super nice guy so I was fine with the loss. Someone dropped so I got a bye for round 2 which, while I appreciate the free win was kind of lovely b/c I was there alone and didn't really know anyone or want to interrupt their games.
Match 3 I played vs a similar deck to the deck I had built in the morning. First game I was super aggressive but he took about 4 minutes to think on each of his turns and by the time I beat him we were halfway through the round. Game two he pulled off a good move w/ Profaner of the dead and bounced all my guys so on to game 3. On turn 4, the judge comes in for the first time (we were in a back overflow room) and announces time. I had a super aggro hand w/ warbringer and ambuscade shaman but I couldn't finish him in time. I was so pissed I should have won that game but he about 40 minutes to play his turns and took us to a draw. This dropped me out of prize support and I was burnt out so I dropped from play.

I had a decent time and managed to pull a Deathmist Raptor, Shorecrasher Elemental, and a few good rares for a Jeskai deck I'm brewing so all isn't lost.

Sorry for the rant but I needed to get this off my chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Samael posted:

I really want to make a UWx control deck for standard and I am having trouble between picking jeskai or Esper, which one do you think will be stronger in the future metagame?

Jeskai-

Anger of the Gods, Steam Augury, Keranos, Mindswipe, burn spells, access to tri land?

Esper-

Thoughtseize, Tasigur, Drown in Sorrow, Bile Blight, Silumgar's Command, more fetches?

I don't think Steam Augury or Mindswipe are really Pros for Jeskai. Anger of the Gods is the big one, if that ends up significantly better than Drown in Sorrow then there might be an argument for it. Otherwise I would expect Esper, UB, or UW to be the premier control deck.

• Locked thread