Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Type-0 post game spoilers (?)

I ended the cycle. By returning the game to the store :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except that was Jenova, not sephiroth. Sephy's been frozen in that crater since he drifted there after cloud dumped him into the lifestream. Remember Jenova's whole deal was disguising herself to fit her environment and trick her prey. What better than to be an embellishment of a world renowned Soldier.

To be fair, the party doesn't know that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Except that was Jenova, not sephiroth. Sephy's been frozen in that crater since he drifted there after cloud dumped him into the lifestream. Remember Jenova's whole deal was disguising herself to fit her environment and trick her prey. What better than to be an embellishment of a world renowned Soldier.

Way to miss the point entirely.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 22, 2015

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Technically this was Jenova's remains, which is an important distinction because said remains were being manipulated telepathically by Sephiroth. During the course of the game Jenova doesn't really exist as a sentient creature with agency; her body, and the unique properties it possesses, are just another tool for the preserved Sephiroth to use to further his plans.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

In Type-0 is it possible to change the order your reserves cycle into the party?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tempo 119 posted:

In Type-0 is it possible to change the order your reserves cycle into the party?

Yeah you can rearrange it at the save point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rirse posted:

Yeah you can rearrange it at the save point.

I really wish you could just do it from the menu. Grinding in the overworld is so tedious because you have to go back into a town or die to switch party members.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MrAristocrates posted:

I really wish you could just do it from the menu. Grinding in the overworld is so tedious because you have to go back into a town or die to switch party members.

Is there a better place to grind, where you can switch party members? How are you supposed to keep your team evenly leveled if you can't swap people in and out conveniently, and leaving town eats up 6 hours of your limited time between missions?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
6 hours isn't a big deal, but also you can switch out party members at any save point. Once you're outside, any town with a save point lets you switch out party members the same as the school ones.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Schwartzcough posted:

Is there a better place to grind, where you can switch party members? How are you supposed to keep your team evenly leveled if you can't swap people in and out conveniently, and leaving town eats up 6 hours of your limited time between missions?

The towns on the overworld eat six hours too? I know leaving the campus does that, but I didn't think the ones you liberate do that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

You can switch people in towns outside in the world, that doesn't take up time.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

If someone's falling behind, put them in the secret training thing at the arena. The actual arena battle is kind of dull and not very efficient unfortunately, it's just one character vs a bunch of soldiers. You can also replay old story missions from the main menu and any EXP/loot gained will transfer back into the main game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Haha, this is amazing. Airy's getting owned by a kid. Stay free fairy.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Going in totally blind, I really enjoyed the 15 demo. The early 60's Americana mixed with magic setting was awesome, and while the new combat system was a bit awkward, I started to get used to it by the end. It will be a bit disappointing though going from Prince and his Bro's Awesome Road Trip to generic save the kingdom and fall in the love with the Mysterious Empowered Girl story come release.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I knew the characters FF Type-0 had numbers for names, but it wasn't until seeing "Seven" specifically in a video that I realized just how funny this actually is. It's a beautiful name for a boy or a girl, especially a girl, or a boy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah the skimpy outfits were definitely made to appeal to female gamers. Much like the dreamboat boyband design of Noctis and the Literal Latin Squad is made to cater to guys and not girls, I'm sure.

you're assuming that people can only be straight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ufarn posted:

I loved this hilarious Polygon piece on Cid by their fashion colleagues at Racked.

The attempts at humour on this thing are cringe-worthy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CeallaSo posted:

Technically this was Jenova's remains, which is an important distinction because said remains were being manipulated telepathically by Sephiroth. During the course of the game Jenova doesn't really exist as a sentient creature with agency; her body, and the unique properties it possesses, are just another tool for the preserved Sephiroth to use to further his plans.

So it's Sephiroth calling his adoptive mom Ms. Alien Corpse for a favor and basically having her dress and act like him while he tells her via hidden earpiece to kill a bunch of things so he can look cool.

It's the world's most hosed-up sitcom.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Veib posted:

I knew the characters FF Type-0 had numbers for names, but it wasn't until seeing "Seven" specifically in a video that I realized just how funny this actually is. It's a beautiful name for a boy or a girl, especially a girl, or a boy.

Yea if you wanna name your kid after the worst Married With Children character.

It's funny, they want Lightning to be the female Cloud so bad they put her in a mostly unrelated game and renamed her VII

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

Veib posted:

Haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUdaWZ4FN0

In my head-canon her dad is now George.

WE ARE LIVING IN A FAL'CIE SOCIETY

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Yea if you wanna name your kid after the worst Married With Children character.

It's funny, they want Lightning to be the female Cloud so bad they put her in a mostly unrelated game and renamed her VII

Wasn't Six a character from Blossom

Griever posted:

Haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUdaWZ4FN0

In my head-canon her dad is now George.

WE ARE LIVING IN A FAL'CIE SOCIETY
Pretend I posted that Seinfeld/Persona 4 mashup here

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Veib posted:

Also seven is the best character in 999

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

I forgot that people can completely not identify with any characters or their interactions but still be massive fans because of their ships. My bad.

Yes, the airships are pretty important too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Volt Catfish posted:

Also seven is the best character in 999

Unfortunately he shares a game with Snake so he'll have to settle for second place.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Type-0 is just a weird mash up of stuff. You've got the playing cards names / symbolism, the four feng shui animals for the kingdoms, the whole private school / academy motif, and then there's the FFXIII mythology on top of all of that. Then throw in the re-branding of the usual goofy FF stuff (moogles, magic, etc) into grim, militaristic ideas and you've got yourself a weird gumbo of a gameworld.

If only playing the actual game didn't make me feel like I had a hangover after 5 minutes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Static Rook posted:

Type-0 is just a weird mash up of stuff. You've got the playing cards names / symbolism, the four feng shui animals for the kingdoms, the whole private school / academy motif, and then there's the FFXIII mythology on top of all of that. Then throw in the re-branding of the usual goofy FF stuff (moogles, magic, etc) into grim, militaristic ideas and you've got yourself a weird gumbo of a gameworld.

If only playing the actual game didn't make me feel like I had a hangover after 5 minutes.

How do they make moogles grim

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I just imagined a horrible scenario where Final Fantasy XV is released episodically, and the only way to play the whole thing is to buy everything SE releases at full price.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How do they make moogles grim

It's not their look, but the game makes MOOGLE an acronym for Military Operation something something. They're basically the voice yelling in your ear while you kill stuff.

EDIT

Looked it up: Military Operation Organization/Guidance Logistics Expert.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Moogles are the voice in my head telling me to kill people.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

That loving Sned posted:

I just imagined a horrible scenario where Final Fantasy XV is released episodically, and the only way to play the whole thing is to buy everything SE releases at full price.

To get the final episode you must 100% The Third Birthday HD.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love the way FFXII consistently opens up newer, deeper parts of dungeons you did earlier in the game that you can then go back and explore. I mean, yeah, it's a barely-disguised method of just reusing those dungeon assets for more gameplay, but it feels really cool to delve deeper into these places, past enemies that used to be threatening, and finding horrifying things and wonderful treasure and usually an Esper.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So is Deuce the kind of party support character you want to play yourself or let the CPU handle? The flute playing thing seems strange

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rei_ posted:

So is Deuce the kind of party support character you want to play yourself or let the CPU handle? The flute playing thing seems strange

There seems to be no real reason to play Deuce over letting the CPU handle her.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The flute is the only weapon that can deal good damage against stuff like the Flans. Which means she's pretty awful regardless except for a convoluted grinding process that you can tape your attack button to.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm really enjoying FFX more than I thought I would. Terrible VAs aside, it's such a nice looking game, and I think it's legitimately the only FF that I could say has any "difficulty" if you aren't looking at a guide. The fight with Seymour on Gagazet is a goddamn ballbuster if you didn't go out of your way to grind levels / spend a bunch of gil customize gear in advance. Probably the hardest storyline boss of any FF, at least that I can recall.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

FFX plays by such a rigid and deliberate system of combat mechanics that when it occasionally decides to throw in an old school FF clusterfuck bossfight you have no idea how to loving handle it and aren't prepared for it because the game has been basically encouraging you to brute force your way through the game

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
FFX boss fights, especially the later ones, get pretty creative with fight mechanics. Probably why a lot of people consider it to be the high water mark of the series as a whole.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

FFX's combat is really less brute-force than pretty much any other FF. The way they incorporated different enemy strengths and weaknesses (Armored enemies, flying, magic resistant, elemental resistances) on top of being able to swap party members on the fly really makes even trash mobs a lot more involved, at least early on. FFX also gets props for having a Steal command that actually does something neat by dismantling tech enemies.

Some of the bosses are definitely verging on completely unfair if you don't read up on them or take a few attempts while you learn their patterns and weaknesses, but its still a lot more enjoyable than most.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Yunalesca fight in particular really forces you to be careful and consider all of your options before doing anything. The challenging bosses in FFX are really fun to fight assuming you don't just power-level to a point where you can one-shot them.

Too bad all of the hardest bosses have incredibly long cutscenes before them and the HD version didn't add in a goddamn "skip scene" button :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah, that's really the only thing bringing the HD version down.