Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

6WX owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sharrrk posted:

6WX owned

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Dabuz's Rosalina is worth a thousand Diddies.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dabuz has definitely mastered the most boring and successful aspect of this game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

Dabuz has definitely mastered the most boring and successful aspect of this game.
He uses his inner tranquility to destroy his enemies, who come to embody the screaming chimp they control. Meanwhile, he has the grace and beauty of the stars.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Why did the smash community never ban Metaknight or [now] Diddy? it's boring as gently caress.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

Dizz posted:

Why did the smash community never ban Metaknight or [now] Rosalina? it's boring as gently caress.

Fixed

At least Diddy is somewhat aggro, I guess

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

Why did the smash community never ban Metaknight or [now] Diddy? it's boring as gently caress.

Banning a character 5 months into a game's lifespan is hilariously stupid

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Dizz posted:

They tried to ban Meta Knight. Then the Meta Knight mains complained.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Banning a character 5 months into a game's lifespan is hilariously stupid

When will it not be hilariously stupid? in another 5 years after the game's community is mostly Diddy and nobody wants to ban him because it's their main?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

When will it not be hilariously stupid? in another 5 years after the game's community is mostly Diddy and nobody wants to ban him because it's their main?

Hahaha

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

people want to ban villager's balloon custom already because of ADHD

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Great finisher

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

congrats to diddy

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

mabels big day posted:

people want to ban villager's balloon custom already because of ADHD

The Tripping Tree is the bigger problem.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Banning this early in the meta is certainly dumb. In another six months, maybe not so much.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dreyvas posted:

Banning this early in the meta is certainly dumb. In another six months, maybe not so much.

Hopefully in another six months an actual balance patch will have dropped

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
i have no idea how anyone can think that custom villager was enjoyable to watch aside from if you got an extreme hate boner for ppl who play competitive smash bros
there is a guy i work with who did this exact thing as soon as he got the game and its really frustrating to play against

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Diddy is nowhere near as busted as Metaknight was. Custom Villager might be an issue, but there's at least a hard counter in Pikachu.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The core problem of this Smash is being aggressive puts you at risk, so if you don't move in you're never really vulnerable and that places an huge incentive on sitting put and making the other person come to you, which gives us plays like that custom Villager and anything Dabuz does. If there were more blockstun, or incentive to attack, I think that would alleviate a lot of the game's problems, otherwise it's just a tremendous amount of work without making any mistakes to uproot someone willing to just sit there and make you shake a fight out of them, and I don't think bans really solve a problem in the game's core mechanics.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maleficent posted:

i have no idea how anyone can think that custom villager was enjoyable to watch aside from if you got an extreme hate boner for ppl who play competitive smash bros
there is a guy i work with who did this exact thing as soon as he got the game and its really frustrating to play against

It was really funny regardless of my hate-boners. Plus I mean, the matches he won on stream were actually pretty clutch when it got right down to it. Beating a guy like Nairo is no small feat.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Reiley posted:

The core problem of this Smash is being aggressive puts you at risk, so if you don't move in you're never really vulnerable and that places an huge incentive on sitting put and making the other person come to you, which gives us plays like that custom Villager and anything Dabuz does. If there were more blockstun, or incentive to attack, I think that would alleviate a lot of the game's problems, otherwise it's just a tremendous amount of work without making any mistakes to uproot someone willing to just sit there and make you shake a fight out of them, and I don't think bans really solve a problem in the game's core mechanics.

This hits the root of the problem. It's not Diddy or Rosalina or any top tier character.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up
A good example of what Reiley is talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gfi27vrF4k&t=938s

Basically it's just Jtails getting 'trolled'. But it shows how effective playing slow and safe is in this game. It's funny how Sakurai said he didn't like how the competitive scene was so defensive, yet this is the most defense-rewarding game yet.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Silver Sound posted:

It's funny how Sakurai said he didn't like how the competitive scene was so defensive, yet this is the most defense-rewarding game yet.

If Sakurai really said that, he's a loving idiot and should not have anything to do with the balance of the next Smash. I can only imagine a lot of the questionable character design and game mechanics are the result of him sitting around saying, "You're supposed to stand there and get hit by this when I say so!"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

TenaciousJ posted:

If Sakurai really said that, he's a loving idiot and should not have anything to do with the balance of the next Smash. I can only imagine a lot of the questionable character design and game mechanics are the result of him sitting around saying, "You're supposed to stand there and get hit by this when I say so!"

Falcon Punch?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Quite frankly, Sakurai is a better man than all of you and I'm getting a little sick of the disrespect

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Quite frankly, Sakurai is a better man than all of you and I'm getting a little sick of the disrespect

"man"

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Dizz posted:

Falcon Punch?

Ganondorf's entire moveset after Melee

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Did anyone upload the ADHD villager video to youtube yet? this vod is 10 hours long and I don't really feel like skimming it right now.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Dizz posted:

Did anyone upload the ADHD villager video to youtube yet? this vod is 10 hours long and I don't really feel like skimming it right now.

Maximum Villager Bullshit

The counterpick

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"Reverse-aging vampire" does not sound as good as "man". Besides, everything points to him being a masculine reverse-aging vampire. Probably a good friend of fellow reverse-aging vampire Hirohiko Araki.

What I'm saying is that the next Super Smash Bros. totally needs to add Jojo characters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silver Sound posted:

A good example of what Reiley is talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gfi27vrF4k&t=938s

Basically it's just Jtails getting 'trolled'. But it shows how effective playing slow and safe is in this game. It's funny how Sakurai said he didn't like how the competitive scene was so defensive, yet this is the most defense-rewarding game yet.

I hope they take note of how people play in For Glory and use that to improve the game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Reverse-aging vampire" does not sound as good as "man". Besides, everything points to him being a masculine reverse-aging vampire. Probably a good friend of fellow reverse-aging vampire Hirohiko Araki.

What I'm saying is that the next Super Smash Bros. totally needs to add Jojo characters.

We already have two characters with Stands. One of them even does fabulous poses, as does another unrelated character who does not have a Stand. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ChaosArgate posted:

We already have two characters with Stands. One of them even does fabulous poses, as does another unrelated character who does not have a Stand. :v:

Yes but I'm a poo poo Zelda and Rosalina player. Which, admittedly, is entirely my fault. I don't care much about Rosalina but I should totally learn Zelda.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Reiley posted:

Yeah, pretty much every real issue with the game comes down to how absurdly advantageous it is to play defensively. When you have two great players up against each other who don't have a taste for that poo poo, the game is extremely fun and a visually spectacular. But one player going into turtle mode ruins everything, since you really have no choice but to reciprocate that terrible playstyle if you are interested in winning.

There's no rock/paper/scissor element. It's just about always better to be on the defensive because there is virtually no punishment for it, whereas attacking leaves you wide open. The individual character balance is honestly pretty drat good, but in the end it comes down to how well a fighter can deal with turtling garbage, and a whole lot of the cast can't.

I'm curious how the game would play if there weren't shields at all and only dodges.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Whatev posted:

I'm curious how the game would play if there weren't shields at all and only dodges.

Or no defensive options at all, and no grabs. That's how I played the demo on my broken 3DS, and let me tell you it was tough.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Certain characters can force opponents to attack them. If you're Samus and the enemy just waits for you to approach you can just keep hitting them with rockets and charge-shots and eventually their shield will break. If they manage to just dodge all your shots and rockets...then you need to get better aim. Basically any character that can apply ranged pressure can force a turtling opponent to act.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fhate posted:

Certain characters can force opponents to attack them. If you're Samus and the enemy just waits for you to approach you can just keep hitting them with rockets and charge-shots and eventually their shield will break. If they manage to just dodge all your shots and rockets...then you need to get better aim. Basically any character that can apply ranged pressure can force a turtling opponent to act.

Not falco or little mac or DK or Bowser

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Turtlicious posted:

Not falco or little mac or DK or Bowser

None of those characters can apply ranged pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sitting there trading projectiles is intensely boring, like Jtails' Pikachu vs. the Villager was just entirely throwing out thunder jolts which was definitely not the highlight of the tournament but apparently a necessary evil to help him win. It's like Whatev said, the game is fantastic as long as both people are on the same page but once one person decides to set up camp then nobody gets to have fun. It's sort of lovely that playing the game in a fun way requires that unspoken gentleman's agreement not to pluck the low-hanging fruit, because there's always someone willing to pluck it and you can't actually stop them once they commit to it.

• Locked thread