Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

I don't even have an older brother.

I was like 99.9% sure you had a brother. Maybe he's younger? I remember you talking about how he hit you and stuff and your resentment for him. I know you hate whoever you're living with right now though.

IM WATCHING YOU CHRIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Paper Lion posted:

I was like 99.9% sure you had a brother. Maybe he's younger? I remember you talking about how he hit you and stuff and your resentment for him. I know you hate whoever you're living with right now though.

IM WATCHING YOU CHRIS

Twitter is not a diary under your bed

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No one will ever know my real name.........

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Paper Lion posted:

IM WATCHING YOU CHRIS

He actually doesn't hit me that much, most of my fear of violence and stuff would've came from high school, but I'll leave it at that.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

My point about the reason you are averted from shows involving protagonists that ever hit/yell at their little buddy stands.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Clawshrimpy posted:

That's what I've been trying to do all this time, but as you've no doubt noticed it comes out as stuff that doesn't match up with anything anybody else can understand.

I don't think you have an inability to communicate your feelings - it's more that your feelings are themselves confusing. For example a reason you cite for the quality of TTGL being bad is because Kamina is mean and throws rocks at his brother.

You are, I think, conflating 'I wouldn't throw rocks at my little brother / wouldn't want to have them thrown at me' (a reaction most people share!) with whether or not the show itself is good. Most people view this as a mistake. What it takes is a separation of the two - you can say you don't enjoy a scene or think a character is a bad person without that making the portrayal of these things inherently bad. Please let me know if you see what I'm getting at here.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Paper Lion posted:

My point about the reason you are averted from shows involving protagonists that ever hit/yell at their little buddy stands.

But it's not just that.

For some reason I like that GGG made me think and feel things, when I watch other super robot anime, it never makes me think and feel things, and feels more like what you said the one time, the whole idea of "you're watching this genre in bad faith if you want to think and feel things"

But that's what I enjoyed about GGG is how it encouraged me to think and feel things. I don't feel so encouraged to think and feel things with other shows.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

But it's not just that.

For some reason I like that GGG made me think and feel things, when I watch other super robot anime, it never makes me think and feel things, and feels more like what you said the one time, the whole idea of "you're watching this genre in bad faith if you want to think and feel things"

But that's what I enjoyed about GGG is how it encouraged me to think and feel things. I don't feel so encouraged to think and feel things with other shows.

Perhaps you are not a mecha fan, just a GGG fan.

And that's okay.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I sympathize with wanting to understand and put into words why you like something but at the point where it requires making poo poo up about it you should probably just cut your losses and just settle on "I like this thing".

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

My opinions are way out there cacadoodoo crazy, but I don't think you should need to be encouraged to think about things. You can use 'dumb shows' as a good excuse to think about things. I do it all the time.

If someone watches a show like GGG and finds it totally devoid of meaning, they are really only admitting personal failure. Unforunately, the same goes for Gundam.

e: My greatest failure is that Lars Von Trier's films strike me as totally devoid of meaning, but Lars Von Trier killed my dad with a hunting knife so maybe that's a special case.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 22, 2015

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Hbomberguy posted:

I don't think you have an inability to communicate your feelings - it's more that your feelings are themselves confusing. For example a reason you cite for the quality of TTGL being bad is because Kamina is mean and throws rocks at his brother.

You are, I think, conflating 'I wouldn't throw rocks at my little brother / wouldn't want to have them thrown at me' (a reaction most people share!) with whether or not the show itself is good. Most people view this as a mistake. What it takes is a separation of the two - you can say you don't enjoy a scene or think a character is a bad person without that making the portrayal of these things inherently bad. Please let me know if you see what I'm getting at here.

I think it has something to do with my utter abhorrance for anything that looks like bullying to me, and it makes me view it as highly problematic, in that particular instance. I guess you could say it's a trigger.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

I think it has something to do with my utter abhorrance for anything that looks like bullying to me, and it makes me view it as highly problematic, in that particular instance.

Lots of people think bullying is wrong.

This does not make a show inherently bad.

How Simon deals with the examples Kamina sets are perhaps the central part of the entire story of TTGL. Simon and Kamina are a re-take of Mamoru and Guy's relationship, through a different lens.

Later in the show we see an 'alternate universe' version of Simon and Kamina where Kamina leads Simon to into a life of crime. This is 'the point' of the show - the struggle between what a guy you look up to says and does, and what is actually right.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Hbomberguy posted:

My opinions are way out there cacadoodoo crazy, but I don't think you should need to be encouraged to think about things. You can use 'dumb shows' as a good excuse to think about things. I do it all the time.

If someone watches a show like GGG and finds it totally devoid of meaning, they are really only admitting personal failure. Unforunately, the same goes for Gundam.

I can see that Gundam has a meaning, I just disagree witht he message it tries to present most of the time.

it's specifically with other super robot shows that I can't seem to find that quality, that sense of emotion and power GGG had for me. I didn't watch GGG because it was fun seeing robots fights, I watched it for it's plot and dialogue, but I find the plot and dialogue of other shows in the subgenre are missing that for some reason, it didn't feel like a cheesy action script.... part of it feel very smart and charming to me comparitvely to Mazinger, Getter, Gurren Lagann, etc.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

I can see that Gundam has a meaning, I just disagree witht he message it tries to present most of the time.

it's specifically with other super robot shows that I can't seem to find that quality, that sense of emotion and power GGG had for me. I didn't watch GGG because it was fun seeing robots fights, I watched it for it's plot and dialogue, but I find the plot and dialogue of other shows in the subgenre are missing that for some reason.

Disagreeing with a message and a show being bad are not the same thing, is what I'm trying to say.

Fascist Propoganda films can be 'good', 'well made', 'convincing', and still present abhorrent ideas. The trick is to use even things you disagree with or don't like as a way of learning more about the ideas they're communicating and how they work.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Clawshrimpy posted:

it's specifically with other super robot shows that I can't seem to find that quality, that sense of emotion and power GGG had for me. I didn't watch GGG because it was fun seeing robots fights, I watched it for it's plot and dialogue, but I find the plot and dialogue of other shows in the subgenre are missing that for some reason.

And that's fine.

But as stated multiple times, you don't need to constantly look for things to defend why you like it when people are enjoying shows you can't.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

it's specifically with other super robot shows that I can't seem to find that quality, that sense of emotion and power GGG had for me. I didn't watch GGG because it was fun seeing robots fights, I watched it for it's plot and dialogue, but I find the plot and dialogue of other shows in the subgenre are missing that for some reason, it didn't feel like a cheesy action script.... part of it feel very smart and charming to me comparitvely to Mazinger, Getter, Gurren Lagann, etc.

Have you ever watched Pretty Cure? To me that series of shows carries similar imagery and themes that are in GGG.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Also (this is referring generally to anime fans though) there's this weird cargo-cult mentality when it comes to thinking about anime. Like a show is automatically good if it is 'deep', 'about something', et cetera.

Let's say GGG is about transhumanism. Whether or not it qualifies as being 'about transhumanism' is kind of a needless question, the important one is 'what does it say about the idea of humans altering themselves?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Hbomberguy posted:

Also (this is referring generally to anime fans though) there's this weird cargo-cult mentality when it comes to thinking about anime. Like a show is automatically good if it is 'deep', 'about something', et cetera.

Let's say GGG is about transhumanism. Whether or not it qualifies as being 'about transhumanism' is kind of a needless question, the important one is 'what does it say about the idea of humans altering themselves?

Of course, I understand now the more important way to look at is.

"What is GGG about, philosophically speaking?"

The exploration of Cybernetics, young aliens living on Earth, and AI-human interactions leads to something different from transhumanism, even though to my chagrin, I mistook it for that. Acceptance of differences or tolerance? Teamwork? Coming to grips with self-identity and your limits?

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 22, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm home now, thread incoming.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
Ah, with all this talk about all of that, I had forgotten about the challenge. Whoops.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Revolver Bunker posted:

Have you ever watched Pretty Cure? To me that series of shows carries similar imagery and themes that are in GGG.

Clawshrimpy, it unironically may be worth your time to try a Precure. You can maybe try out the original (titled Futari wa Pretty Cure) if you want but even if that doesn't stick (and especially if the reason is that it's too downbeat) try Splash Star. I think that one has things in it that may strike a chord with you.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

wateyad posted:

Clawshrimpy, it unironically may be worth your time to try a Precure. You can maybe try out the original (titled Futari wa Pretty Cure) if you want but even if that doesn't stick (and especially if the reason is that it's too downbeat) try Splash Star. I think that one has things in it that may strike a chord with you.

I feel like magical girl anime is not an appropriate space for my gender identity, though. I feel like I could never watch a magical girl anime the same way I'd feel awful for watching MLP. Feel like I'd be invading a girl's/women's space.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 22, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

I feel like magical girl anime is not an appropriate space for my gender identity, though. I feel like I could never watch a magical girl anime the same way I'd feel awful for watching MLP.

After your talk about GGG taking up gender issues and how Mamoru is feminine?

Just be honest and say you don't want to.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

wateyad posted:

My suggestion to him is 100% unironic. I've watched several Precure series and found them enjoyable for what they were. Heartcatch and Happiness Charge are also two good series to check out.

Edit:

Clawshrimpy posted:

I feel like magical girl anime is not an appropriate space for my gender identity, though. I feel like I could never watch a magical girl anime the same way I'd feel awful for watching MLP. Feel like I'd be invading a girl's/women's space.

Why would it be invading a gender space? Would you feel offended if girls watched GGG and enjoyed it even though it is marketed for boys?

Revolver Bunker fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 22, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Clawshrimpy posted:

Try it and see instead of prejudging it. Give it the three episode test drive we suggested earlier.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The idea that it would be sexist to watch a show for women is kinda sexist in of itself, in fact.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So are we still wanting to do a general Super Robot simulcast thing outside of the clawshrimpy containment zone? If so I said I'd volunteer to set that up and I'd like to start getting some suggestions and get permission to do the thread.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think it should be left to one person, lest literally every mecha anime ever created be suggested.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Alright. I was thinking of just putting four or so in a poll and fighting it out but I can just go into the vaults of English subbed goods and set that up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clawshrimpy posted:

You're only invading a female space if you start talking about how it's actually totally a show for men and not for women and talking over girl's who are trying to enjoy it themselves.

You're not doing anything wrong if you watch, enjoy or even discuss a show that is primarily aimed at girls.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You're only invading a female space if you start talking about how it's actually totally a show for men and not for women and talking over girl's who are trying to enjoy it themselves.

You're not doing anything wrong if you watch, enjoy or even discuss a show that is primarily aimed at girls.

I guess I see the difference, still makes me a little nervous to try, but I guess if it's okay.

But the real point is I won't be able to do it now, my plate will be full for the challenge at the moment.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

You aren't invading anyone's space by appreciating things thought of as for other people, don't worry. Pretty Cure's goodness is universal. It is made by people of both genders who grew up watching anime and loved it, and its childish glee appeals to everyone with a heart and the ability to give it a chance.

It also has moments of real genius where they manage to relate big ideas to children on a level where you don't need big words to understand. I genuinely think the one episode I happen to have seen of the first pretty cure is smarter than all of madoka.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Revolver Bunker posted:

My suggestion to him is 100% unironic. I've watched several Precure series and found them enjoyable for what they were. Heartcatch and Happiness Charge are also two good series to check out.

As much as I'd love to recommend Heartcatch (it is absolutely the best one), I really think that if Clawshrimpy's going to enjoy a Precure then it'll be Splash Star.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

wateyad posted:

As much as I'd love to recommend Heartcatch (it is absolutely the best one), I really think that if Clawshrimpy's going to enjoy a Precure then it'll be Splash Star.

Fair enough. I haven't had a chance to watch Splash Star yet. I've only seen the original, HeartCatch and Happiness Charge. I'm watching Go Princess right now but I gotta go back and watch older series at some point.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

wateyad posted:

Maybe after the challenge then, if that goes well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thread's up

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707858

Clawshrimpy you are not bound to the rules of the challenge until the time I designated in this thread so you have until then to post in any thread that is not that one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Clawshrimpy posted:

Of course, I understand now the more important way to look at is.

"What is GGG about, philosophically speaking?"

I don't think you do understand honestly. I think you're just parroting the response you think we want to hear to continue gaining acceptance, and that this is a good example of it because the important question absolutely is not "What is GGG about philosophically speaking?", because not all shows have philosophical depth and GGG is an example of one show without any such depth. It's simply a well made, fun show. No-one else in existence is likely to try and hold a discussion of the philosophical or literary merit of GGG besides yourself, because no-one else sees it in that light. Discussions of the show are more likely to focus on the fun characters, the fights, the music, mechanical designs etc because it is a well made show that is very enjoyable even if it has no literary merit.

Clawshrimpy posted:

The exploration of Cybernetics, young aliens living on Earth, and AI-human interactions leads to something different from transhumanism

GGG is not about any of these for instance. The show doesn't explore cybernetics, anything to do with how aliens would find life on Earth or anything to do with AI. Again, it features those things, but doesn't focus on or explore them in any depth. It never says whether those things are good or bad, never shows what kind of effect they have on the individuals in question or society at large and so on. Yes, Mamoru and Kaidou are aliens living on Earth, but they look and essentially are human in every way that counts and they are never treated differently because they're aliens by anyone in the show. They don't remember or care about their home planet, they have no real emotional ties to it. It's not a piece on aliens in the same way Superman isn't - because their being alien is just a thing to explain why they can do some things normal humans can't at the end of the day, a setting detail - not something the show intends to explore.

Clawshrimpy posted:

Acceptance of differences or tolerance? Teamwork? Coming to grips with self-identity and your limits?

This is more what the show is actually about. And that's fine. Not everything needs to be deep, and certainly not everything that attempts it is good regardless of the attempt.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Clawshrimpy posted:

Pretty Cure's target demographics are simultaneously young girls and adult men. It's official, it factors into their sales and marketing.

Regardless, there's nothing wrong with watching a show that wasn't made for your target demographic. Are women invading men's space by taking an interest in Gundam Wing, SEED or 00? Would it matter either way? One of the earliest and most influential magical girl stories was Cutie Honey and that was published in a shounen magazine. Genres and shows don't 'belong' to anyone, stop listening to radfems especially ones who talk about cartoons lol

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Revolver Bunker posted:

I am suddenly possessed of an urge to watch Pretty Cure just to spite Clawshrimpy (and also because apparently one of the characters is secretly a miniature giant robot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly i havent even seen really extreme tumblr blogs say that guys shouldn't watch magical girl shows, just that they shouldn't be creepy about it/make weird porn.

• Locked thread