Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Hawkeye posted:

I'm not sure how to parse this couple of email sentences from HR, about me meeting with the CSO of a biotech startup over coffee to talk about my background/the position etc. In the previous email agreeing to meet him I said that I wasn't sure about the dress code for meeting a CSO for coffee, and asked if a suit was too formal. The meeting will be in the office, not an external coffee house. If this was a medium or large biotech I'd know to just suit up, but a small startup biotech? I'm told the culture is different...

I feel like sentence 1 & 3 go together, but 2 conflicts and says suit up. Since I don't have a blazer, only a suit, I was thinking of going with dressier khakis, dress shirt, and tie to 'make an impression' without going full suit. It just seems like it would be goofy going the other way and wearing a suit but no tie.

Wear khakis, a button up, no tie, and a blazer/just the coat of a suit. Don't wear a full suit, she already told you not to bother and you'll be overdressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Just wear a suit but skip the tie.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
It sounds like most people are leaning no tie, maybe jacket. That should help thanks!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Holy poo poo Taleo sent me an email that my profile matched a position at a company. :stare:

THE GREAT BEAST COMMUNICATED WITH ME

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Crossposting from the healthcare thread:

Annath posted:

In other news, there's a decent chance I'll have interviews in the coming weeks for new grad positions in Med/Surg, ICU, and acute oncology wards. Any suggestions/tips for how to make a fantastic impression specific to those settings?

I did a mock interview with the hiring manager of a different hospital, through my school, and she said I interviewed pretty much perfectly and that the only thing that would make me a better new grad candidate would be experience in the field as an EMT/CNA etc.

Like I said, I'd like to really blow them away in the in-person interviews, I'm especially interested in the ICU and Oncology positions.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Enigma89 posted:

Holy poo poo Taleo sent me an email that my profile matched a position at a company. :stare:

I just encountered Taleo for the first time. I have a referral for the position but I am legitimately worried that my application will not even be looked at and that I need to get in touch with whomever I can to be able to circumvent the bastard system.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Enigma89 posted:

First time for everything.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Omne posted:

Just wear a suit but skip the tie.

But bring one just in case!

I love questions about what to wear. Is it a job interview? If yes, wear a suit.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

totalnewbie posted:

But bring one just in case!

I love questions about what to wear. Is it a job interview? If yes, wear a suit.

99% of the time, yes, wear a drat suit. Unless they tell you not to. I had a third round interview with the company founder, and the firm is very vocal about their lack of a dress code, but I still wore a suit. If a company doesn't hire you because you overdressed for an interview, you probably don't want to work there

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hawkeye posted:

I feel like sentence 1 & 3 go together, but 2 conflicts and says suit up. Since I don't have a blazer, only a suit, I was thinking of going with dressier khakis, dress shirt, and tie to 'make an impression' without going full suit. It just seems like it would be goofy going the other way and wearing a suit but no tie.
Ties are weird at fashion houses unless you look like Jon Hamm.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Annath posted:

Crossposting from the healthcare thread:

So you got in-person feedback from a relevant hiring manager that you did great, but you are still soliciting anonymous feedback from random people on the internet?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Dik Hz posted:

So you got in-person feedback from a relevant hiring manager that you did great, but you are still soliciting anonymous feedback from random people on the internet?

I'm super nervous and despite how I present in person I'm actually deeply lacking in self confidence, especially since this is my first shot at a real, non retail job now that I'm wrapping up college.

I'm in nursing school, where your efforts are only ever satisfactory, let alone "perfect" (people who get A's on the tests still obsess over their feedback in test review), so I'm kind of conditioned to assume there is something I need to improve on.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Alright thanks to this thread for talking me out of being a pestering rear end in a top hat. Got word back from the company, my resume got past the HR assistant, to the HR director and is now in the hands of the VP of sales.

:ohdear: Wish me luck :ohdear:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ugh, the dead period in communication is the worst.

- Applied on a Sunday, got an email Monday setting up a phone screen with HR.
- Phone screen took place that Thursday.
- Emailed on Friday to set up phone interview with VP of Product Management.
- Phone interview with VP took place the following Tuesday.
- Emailed Wednesday to set up Skype interview with company founder.
- Interview took place the following Wednesday (3/11)

No communication since then. They have said that they would like to fill it very quickly and they have all asked what my start date would be (I said two weeks notice to my current company, plus a week to move from TN to D.C.). The silence is maddening, given how quickly everything else has been set up and completed. Maybe they've moved on to other candidates and haven't gotten to sending rejections yet? Maybe they're setting up my offer? Maybe their building blew up? I plan to follow up tomorrow, as it'll have been a week.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Omne posted:

Ugh, the dead period in communication is the worst.

- Applied on a Sunday, got an email Monday setting up a phone screen with HR.
- Phone screen took place that Thursday.
- Emailed on Friday to set up phone interview with VP of Product Management.
- Phone interview with VP took place the following Tuesday.
- Emailed Wednesday to set up Skype interview with company founder.
- Interview took place the following Wednesday (3/11)

No communication since then. They have said that they would like to fill it very quickly and they have all asked what my start date would be (I said two weeks notice to my current company, plus a week to move from TN to D.C.). The silence is maddening, given how quickly everything else has been set up and completed. Maybe they've moved on to other candidates and haven't gotten to sending rejections yet? Maybe they're setting up my offer? Maybe their building blew up? I plan to follow up tomorrow, as it'll have been a week.

Sorry dude, but this sounds like a classic case of exploded building to me. Better luck next time! (seriously though, good luck!)

I had an interview yesterday for what I thought would be another goddamn sales job but it actually turns out it's more of an account management job, which is what I've been looking for all along, and now I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear back. Mercifully, he told me he'd be following up with me on Wednesday and to call him on Thursday if for some reason I don't hear from him tomorrow. God bless hiring managers who lay out the timeline like that up front!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

timp posted:

Sorry dude, but this sounds like a classic case of exploded building to me. Better luck next time! (seriously though, good luck!)

I had an interview yesterday for what I thought would be another goddamn sales job but it actually turns out it's more of an account management job, which is what I've been looking for all along, and now I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear back. Mercifully, he told me he'd be following up with me on Wednesday and to call him on Thursday if for some reason I don't hear from him tomorrow. God bless hiring managers who lay out the timeline like that up front!

Timelines rock, especially when they adhere to them! They have been very good up to this point, when everything has turned to "follow up shortly." They were even talking about step #4 before step #3 was completed.

Good luck to you!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Omne posted:

Timelines rock, especially when they adhere to them! They have been very good up to this point, when everything has turned to "follow up shortly." They were even talking about step #4 before step #3 was completed.

Good luck to you!

Yeah seriously. I talked to a HR person at this big company I applied to. He told me they didn't even start looking at resumes until 2 months after the job posting is posted :vince:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Enigma89 posted:

Yeah seriously. I talked to a HR person at this big company I applied to. He told me they didn't even start looking at resumes until 2 months after the job posting is posted :vince:

I've just never had something move so quickly, and then grind to a halt. Either it's always slow (months before you get a response to your application, weeks/months between steps, etc.) or always fast (immediate rejection, rejection a day after a phone screen, etc.). This was lightning quick and then silence. Hopefully I hear some news today.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Omne posted:

I've just never had something move so quickly, and then grind to a halt. Either it's always slow (months before you get a response to your application, weeks/months between steps, etc.) or always fast (immediate rejection, rejection a day after a phone screen, etc.). This was lightning quick and then silence. Hopefully I hear some news today.

I hear you that must be really irritating. I am sort of in the same boat. Got right in with the HR assistant who seemed to like my resume and immediately sent it to the HR director. Heard nothing and then all of a sudden I heard my resume got moved up to the VP of Sales and now I am waiting.

I have been obsessively looking at the LinkedIn application to see what percentile I am in of applicants, still on top but I am getting worried. On top of that, I have my back up company getting back to me at the end of this week (according to them) so I am starting to panic a bit.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Omne posted:

My last job was like this. I interviewed for a position to replace someone who was leaving in a week, then didn't hear anything for 2 weeks. I assumed nothing was happening, but they just had a different perception of the urgency. People were busy with day-to-day stuff, and ultimately "needing someone immediately" just means "we can't sit with an open req for 6 months; we need to be actively looking".

I got a call back something like 3 weeks later with an offer. Just remember it always feels longer when you're waiting. They probably have enough distractions going on that it only feels like a slight delay.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Well this was unexpected. I heard back from the HR lady. Apparently they think I am an excellent fit, but feel I am more suited to be a senior manager in another department (I had applied to be a product manager, which is where my background lies). HR loves me, the VP of Product loved me and the founder loved me, and they forwarded my info to the VP of the other department who also apparently loves me. I'm looking at the job description, and that ain't close to what was on my resume. 5+ years of consulting experience? Nope. Travel 50%? Nope.

Should I say yes, I'm interested and will meet with them, but I'm also still interested in the PM position?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Omne posted:

Should I say yes, I'm interested?

Are you? Be honest. If you are tentative, and need questions answered, that's totally reasonable. Meet with them to learn more. If you have reservations about the travel or your own readiness to take on the responsibilities, it's not doing anyone any good to cover them up. I see two possibilities here:

1) They love you and your background, and would be happy to put you in the original position but think you'd be even better elsewhere
2) They thought you weren't a good fit for the specialized role, but think you have a broad enough base to supervise a related position.

If 1, they won't be hurt if you want to stick with the original position. If 2, the kind of work you want to do and feel prepared to do is relevant. Would you want to take a bad fit just to avoid an outright rejection?

Take your time and really think about whether you're just caught off guard about a different role, or if you really think you're not ready to do it. If you don't want to undersell yourself, set up an opportunity to ask questions about what the senior position actually entails, day-to-day, and what they thought was a good match for your experience.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

KnifeWrench posted:

Are you? Be honest. If you are tentative, and need questions answered, that's totally reasonable. Meet with them to learn more. If you have reservations about the travel or your own readiness to take on the responsibilities, it's not doing anyone any good to cover them up. I see two possibilities here:

1) They love you and your background, and would be happy to put you in the original position but think you'd be even better elsewhere
2) They thought you weren't a good fit for the specialized role, but think you have a broad enough base to supervise a related position.

If 1, they won't be hurt if you want to stick with the original position. If 2, the kind of work you want to do and feel prepared to do is relevant. Would you want to take a bad fit just to avoid an outright rejection?

Take your time and really think about whether you're just caught off guard about a different role, or if you really think you're not ready to do it. If you don't want to undersell yourself, set up an opportunity to ask questions about what the senior position actually entails, day-to-day, and what they thought was a good match for your experience.

So I spoke with my HR contact there. They're bringing me in for a site visit with in-person interviews on both teams. It sounds like it's more #1, where I am a candidate for the original position I applied for and also this new position they are creating. Obviously I need way more details on that second position, as it's something I haven't done before. I see why they think I can do it, based on some of the duties and responsibilities. I have also always wanted to work my way into management, which this position would be. I'm hesitant about the travel required, as I'm more used to 2-3 work trips per year. So I'll go, meet the two teams, speak with the VP who would be my boss for the second position (already interviewed with the other VP).

How should I prepare for that meeting with the VP? It seems less like a traditional interview where I'm selling myself, my skills and experience, since they are telling me I'd be a good fit, not me applying for it. I gather a good portion of the interview will be me asking questions about the position. Just a weird situation I've never been in before.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Omne posted:

So I spoke with my HR contact there. They're bringing me in for a site visit with in-person interviews on both teams. It sounds like it's more #1, where I am a candidate for the original position I applied for and also this new position they are creating. Obviously I need way more details on that second position, as it's something I haven't done before. I see why they think I can do it, based on some of the duties and responsibilities. I have also always wanted to work my way into management, which this position would be. I'm hesitant about the travel required, as I'm more used to 2-3 work trips per year. So I'll go, meet the two teams, speak with the VP who would be my boss for the second position (already interviewed with the other VP).

How should I prepare for that meeting with the VP? It seems less like a traditional interview where I'm selling myself, my skills and experience, since they are telling me I'd be a good fit, not me applying for it. I gather a good portion of the interview will be me asking questions about the position. Just a weird situation I've never been in before.

I dunno man, sounds like you're killing it so far! If I were you I'd just relax, stay calm, and be myself. Whatever you've been doing has been working.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've had a job that involves looking at a hundred or so resumes a day for a few weeks or so and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME IN THE SAVE FILE'S NAME.

We need a thread for the most insane excerpts from resumes. I've had some golden ones already:

quote:

archeologists or whatever i desire. i am moving up!
*experience in subway*

quote:

A strong but sensual sales approach
*Like 5 wolf metaphors in work experience*

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

I've had a job that involves looking at a hundred or so resumes a day for a few weeks or so and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME IN THE SAVE FILE'S NAME.

We need a thread for the most insane excerpts from resumes. I've had some golden ones already:

*experience in subway*

*Like 5 wolf metaphors in work experience*

Post it, and they will read

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in college, I've been doing an internship for almost a year, and the place I'm at is going to hire me once I graduate in 3 months. What's the best way to reflect this on my resume? One section for the time I was there as an intern and another section for full-time? Or one section that covers both periods of my time there?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Anony Mouse posted:

I'm in college, I've been doing an internship for almost a year, and the place I'm at is going to hire me once I graduate in 3 months. What's the best way to reflect this on my resume? One section for the time I was there as an intern and another section for full-time? Or one section that covers both periods of my time there?
It depends on whether your duties are substantially different as an intern and an employee. If they're pretty similar, combine the two sections, but list dates for each job title. preferably on separate lines if your resume format accommodates it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

Post it, and they will read

I don't get enough to carry a thread. If there are a few other people here that see low level resumes all day maybe it could work. For now if I see any other great ones I'll post them.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I applied to a position within a company about a month and a half ago and never heard back, but it was a bit of stretch experience-wise anyways. Today they posted another position that is a much better fit, however, and I'd like to submit my resume for that position as well. It's not a large company and the application goes directly to an HR recruiter's inbox so it's not like a new recruiter/HR-person will be reading it, hence my apprehension to immediately submit my resume/cover-letter again. Is it worth mentioning my previous application and saying that this new position is a better fit in the cover letter, or should I just disregard the previous application and apply to this position with a new cover letter that addresses the relevant skills/background?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

As part of the interview process for a job I just had to complete some horrible 6 hour "leadership assessment." 3 hours with a simulated email client to respond to emails and plan some meetings and then a battery of personality tests. So that's a thing that companies are doing now :sigh:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Xyven posted:

As part of the interview process for a job I just had to complete some horrible 6 hour "leadership assessment." 3 hours with a simulated email client to respond to emails and plan some meetings and then a battery of personality tests. So that's a thing that companies are doing now :sigh:
What a great way to exclude people from the interview process who might just be casually looking.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Haha, what?

"simulated email client to respond to emails"

I mean I've definitely had some colleagues send some non-ideal emails to clients before, but that sounds really dumb.

Also what's in a six hour leadership assessment? Regular tests and open-ended interviews combined shouldn't last that long.

Misogynist posted:

What a great way to exclude people from the interview process who might just be casually looking.

I think companies sometimes forget that interviews are a two-way street. People who are desperate for a job will jump through all those hoops, but the best applicants are rarely desperate, and all else being equal, they'll go for the company that treats them like a human being during the interview process.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I think the situation sounds a lot worse than it actually is. There's some cottage industry of consultancies that provide leadership assessments for companies interested in deciding who to promote, what the strengths/weaknesses of their various employees are, etc.

I'm pretty far in the interview process for this position and they'll be flying me out for a final interview in a week, so it isn't like they force everybody to do this at the start. I believe I get whatever feedback the consultancy provides on my "leadership skills" as well. That feedback will probably be worthless and filled with trendy buzzwords, but it is something.

Incidentally, during my research into what is involved with this sort of assessment, I discovered that they typically costs thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. The people who developed these things are running one hell of a scam.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Xandu posted:

I think companies sometimes forget that interviews are a two-way street. People who are desperate for a job will jump through all those hoops, but the best applicants are rarely desperate, and all else being equal, they'll go for the company that treats them like a human being during the interview process.
They can get away with this lot easier for entry level. When you don't have experience you can't be picky.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Twitter Warpath posted:

I applied to a position within a company about a month and a half ago and never heard back, but it was a bit of stretch experience-wise anyways. Today they posted another position that is a much better fit, however, and I'd like to submit my resume for that position as well. It's not a large company and the application goes directly to an HR recruiter's inbox so it's not like a new recruiter/HR-person will be reading it, hence my apprehension to immediately submit my resume/cover-letter again. Is it worth mentioning my previous application and saying that this new position is a better fit in the cover letter, or should I just disregard the previous application and apply to this position with a new cover letter that addresses the relevant skills/background?
If you never heard back, then don't bother. But be aware you might get asked about it if you get an interview.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Xandu posted:

This is why I don't hire via job postings and open resume submissions any more. The people that are proven good in the industry don't blindly fire off resumes all that often. Recruiters are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a bad hire.

For entry level positions, I use a temp agency. If I clearly communicate what I need to the staffer, he's better at filling the position than I would be. And there's limited risk to me. I've posted this a couple times around here, but if you're entry level temp agencies are the way to go. Maybe there should be a temp thread.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Dik Hz posted:

This is why I don't hire via job postings and open resume submissions any more. The people that are proven good in the industry don't blindly fire off resumes all that often. Recruiters are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a bad hire.

For entry level positions, I use a temp agency. If I clearly communicate what I need to the staffer, he's better at filling the position than I would be. And there's limited risk to me. I've posted this a couple times around here, but if you're entry level temp agencies are the way to go. Maybe there should be a temp thread.

Good recruiters are amazing if you already have experience (i.e. leverage) and you know what kind of job you want.

My last job hunt started with me looking for job postings myself and running the usual gamut of horrible webforms and dealing with time consuming special resume formats before just hitting up a recruiting agency. There, I had a laid-back interview with the recruiter and gave them my resume, while they made me an account on their website. From then on, I would get appropriate job listings sent to my account that I apply by clicking a single button. The postings there have way more details than the usual public poo poo you see online too. I give the recruiter my available times and they arrange all the interview date/times.

Job hunting on my own, time consumption was like 90% sifting through bullshit and 10% going to interviews. With the recruiter it more like 97% going to interviews.

Best part is it's all free for the job seeker. This recruiter agency apparently costs a ton for the employer, but that just means the companies are serious about looking for a good candidate.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I wish recruiters were used in my industry. Instead, I see the same job postings going up over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presence
Jul 29, 2006
Hi thread. I graduated from university in April 2013, worked on a maternity-leave replacement contract for 14 months at a great, career-relevant job, then I moved to a different city and went back to school to improve my French-language skills (:canada:) so I could be more competitive for jobs in the field I'd like to get into (communications/PR).

So now I'm moving back and would like find some temp work while I network / volunteer until something I really like comes along.

A few questions:

1) If i'm going through recruiting agencies to find some general administrative or temping-type work, but don't particularly mind what I do, how should I format my resume / what should I highlight?

2) I just turned 25 and I had a bunch of different jobs during university, but a lot of them were between 6 months or 1 year in length (many were contracts that ran the length of the school year). Should I be concerned about looking like a job-hopper at my age/this point in my career?