Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

vOv posted:

I tried starting on a hilly map and oh god traffic oh god nobody is getting their trash picked up and everything is burning down because routing traffic around slopes is really hard.

Welcome. Learn to use switchbacks and elevated road and rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Pedestrian-path road crossings drive me nuts. You've got two weird choices: either change road types for as few tiles as possible to force a crosswalk placement, or build an elevated pedestrian bridge with way-too-many tiles on each side for really long ramps. Has anyone seen a mod to either place a crosswalk without these crazy workarounds, or build a ped bridge that has stairs and so doesn't need giant ramps everywhere? Maybe tunnels will fix this later in the promised update.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sober posted:

Welp, a traffic lights mod. What a world we live in. Now all that's left is a mod that can let us change the lane behaviour on roads.

Considering the way the traffic AI handles yielding and merging, this might be a little cheaty. Taking out the stoplights will just make everyone fly through intersections. Unlike in a more realistic simulation, where it would make everyone dead. :v:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

is it me or is money a total non-issue in this game? I might need the loans a bit early on but after that I am rolling in cashola

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

is it me or is money a total non-issue in this game? I might need the loans a bit early on but after that I am rolling in cashola

I don't think that money is really a good way of making the game difficult. Even with the hard mode mod it ships with the game is still more a matter of playing your cards right and being patient. If you know what to do it's just more time consuming than regular play. The actual, interesting difficulty comes from managing traffic and other elements of the simulation, which are complemented nicely by maps that aren't flat and boring like the vanilla ones. I think trying to go for an aesthetically pleasing, functional city on a challenging map is a lot more fun than giving a gently caress about your budget.

But yeah, it's easy to stay positive.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only for the first few milestones. After that money is not an issue, thankfully.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Pretty much. The difficulty comes in other forms once you get that solid base of taxpayers early. You'll be spending more time worrying about things like traffic and service levels to get buildings to upgrade. And also how to design your city at a basic level if you are playing on a more mountainous map.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's probably a pipe dream, but I'd love a mod that adds helicopter service. I'm sure a realistic system would be impossible, but maybe something that automatically teleports cims to and from max level offices and high-density residential buildings, with a few choppers flying around the city or sitting on top of buildings for show. I have the same awful traffic as Sao Paulo; my ultra rich cims need the same solution.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just set unlimited money on, money adds no challenge for me except 'in the beginning, wait until you click'.

I have created the perfect town. There are no complaints, even bodies/trash get picked up on time.. Behold my shopping gutters on the side that have easy highway access and are just long straight roads that lead straight back to the highway.

Traffic is high in some places but there are no backups.

Which brings me to the monstrosity that deals with most of it, does anyone know if onramps or two lane roads are better for merging on highways? Onramps are faster but the retarded driving habits can cause some weird issues if you have a lot converging on one highway.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

There's not really any way to avoid gaming the system by just building a small functional city and then leaving it running overnight to come back with a giant pile of tax money. So I'm kind of glad that they went the route of just making money easy to get. The more pertinent limiting financial factor is your constant income versus expenditures. And having enough money isn't a very interesting challenge anyway. All the other puzzles of how to manage traffic flow and infrastructure while making the prettiest city of them all are much more engaging.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Does anyone else feel like the population counter is stupid low for the size of the cities? My current one is 40,000 people but looks like it should be fitting 300,000+ in it without much issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone know a way to see the stats for existing parks and the like? I wanna make some custom ones but wanna know the settings so I don't game the system.

Nutsngum posted:

Does anyone else feel like the population counter is stupid low for the size of the cities? My current one is 40,000 people but looks like it should be fitting 300,000+ in it without much issue.

There's a mod for that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nutsngum posted:

The population count is just the number of AI agents residing in your city.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nutsngum posted:

Yeah, I think this comes from SC2013 getting so much flak for fudging their numbers, and they clearly didn't want to risk similar ire. Given that things in this game actually work right and do what we were promised they would do, though, I wouldn't have had a problem with it myself and I keep meaning to download the mod MikeJF mentions.

Anyway, take a look at this and tell me how to fix it.

Up north as you can see is the big oil industrial sector, and there's more to the south across the highway as well as west across the river, but this is the big problem point in my city's traffic. I've added a cargo train line that should have been helping the oil imports/exports reduce the wheels on this road, but to no apparent avail. I've upgraded some of this stuff, which helped slightly, but those lines of vehicles back up way off this screen in both directions and if traffic from the south gets even a little bit heavier we're going to have fuckers waiting on the highway. I'd prefer to solve this without tearing a big chunk of buildings up but I don't even know where to begin anymore. Any ideas?

The big thing I want from this game now is pedestrian paths that can function as 'roads' for building purposes (or roads closed to all but utility/emergency vehicles and those which are actually delivering to a store on that road) and beat cops who walk around so stuff disconnected from the roads still gets patrolled.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Do High Density residential zones attract educated and well educated people? I'm trying to get a small forestry town setup but no one wants to work in the forestry industries

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Every time I want to play this game, I open up the workshop and look at stuff for awhile and then end up working on my own mod and then oops I'm out of free time :negative:

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

The big thing I want from this game now is pedestrian paths that can function as 'roads' for building purposes (or roads closed to all but utility/emergency vehicles and those which are actually delivering to a store on that road) and beat cops who walk around so stuff disconnected from the roads still gets patrolled.

Zoneable Pedestrian Paths

Rather predictably, there's a mod for that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Finally got a city I kept going with.

I'm finding the more exits and entrances on the freeway, the better. The little island has 4 junctions just for itself. No traffic though.

My rail is really hosed however. The trains operate weirdly and there will be thousands of people at a station one time I check, no trains in sight, then next time I check nobody is there.

More pics:

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 22, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alakaiser posted:

Every time I want to play this game, I open up the workshop and look at stuff for awhile and then end up working on my own mod and then oops I'm out of free time :negative:

It's kinda like playing Skyrim.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I picked up this game tonight and I'm having a lot of fun figuring out what to do on my own and patching up mistakes as I come across them. It's very relaxing. Haven't messed with any mods yet.

Here is a pic of my first town so far, for posterity :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Who made this stupid hosed up town? Oh it was me."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I drew a pretty swirl with the water mains under the triangle-shaped part of the suburbs. I am the best mayor of all time. Future generations will dig up my hosed up triangle-shaped water mains and will be too busy marveling at my ingenuity to bother asking what the hell I was thinking.

I'll tell you what I was thinking, future mayors of Westdale Jacobsburg: I was thinking of artistic integrity.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 22, 2015

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Noyemi K posted:

Working on a gas power station:

Texturing this is sure gonna be fun!

Hey noticed you have some pretty interesting topology on your model there. Hope you don't mind that I point out a thing or two but you have a 7 sided polygon there on a flat surface that adds no extra shape information to your model that a 4 sided quad would have instead. Thats can lead to serious complications later if you do a little more complicated model.

The way to fix that is to bring those tris all the way to the corners that way you would have a quad and then tri instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone make an app that lets you build a house in The Sims* and then export it to a Skylines mesh.

*or other user-friendly housebuilding program

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

My city which used to be all pretty until I jammed all the open spaces full of skyscrapers like an rear end in a top hat.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I don't think that money is really a good way of making the game difficult. Even with the hard mode mod it ships with the game is still more a matter of playing your cards right and being patient. If you know what to do it's just more time consuming than regular play. The actual, interesting difficulty comes from managing traffic and other elements of the simulation, which are complemented nicely by maps that aren't flat and boring like the vanilla ones. I think trying to go for an aesthetically pleasing, functional city on a challenging map is a lot more fun than giving a gently caress about your budget.

But yeah, it's easy to stay positive.

Another thing I've not encountered is any crime issues. I will have a ton of fire departments have the entire city burn to the ground but 1/3rd the number of police buildings and everything is low crime.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lester Shy posted:

It's probably a pipe dream, but I'd love a mod that adds helicopter service. I'm sure a realistic system would be impossible, but maybe something that automatically teleports cims to and from max level offices and high-density residential buildings, with a few choppers flying around the city or sitting on top of buildings for show. I have the same awful traffic as Sao Paulo; my ultra rich cims need the same solution.

I do miss ghetto birds flying around like in Sim City.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

skooma512 posted:

I do miss ghetto birds flying around like in Sim City.

Same :(

Also, I think I read awhile back that adding new types of road-tile wasnt doable or some poo poo, but that stands at odds with a few mods I've seen (the Zonable pedestrian paths comes to mind). Am I mistaken? Because that sounds like it could be a pretty good and allow roads for certain services etc.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Another thing I've not encountered is any crime issues. I will have a ton of fire departments have the entire city burn to the ground but 1/3rd the number of police buildings and everything is low crime.

I kind of think there's something buggy with the police/crime part of the game, because I'm getting the same sort of thing. I'm plopping down police stations anyway just to keep buildings happy and leveling up, but even when I forget and leave an area unprovided for, I never see any crime problems. I don't even know what that looks like, or if there's an icon for it or a chirp alert or what.

Also getting a little tired of buildings literally across the street from a fire station burning down, while that station says '0/6 engines in use'. Sometimes I just replace the burned out heap of ashes with a new fire station. Still doesn't seem to help. I think it's down to traffic pathing issues mostly. As far as I can tell, the traffic AI just says 'what is the most direct route to the place I want to go?' without any consideration for whether that route is already packed with traffic, or if there's a higher capacity, higher speed route only one more intersection over. That and the fact that fire emergencies just seem to get randomly assigned to a fire truck, even if it's on the other side of town, leads to things burning down while nearby stations just watch.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

The two current mod/expansions I am hoping for:
1) Traffic accidents - cleared by cops/firetrucks/hearse depending on severity. Aggravated by sharp turns, odd bends, traffic amount and multi-exited intersections.
2) 2 lane highways - because sometimes 3 is two much and 1 is two little. Useful for bridges while being none zoneable.

Aside from that, all these other mods are great :allears:

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
So what is the advantage to upgrading your buildings. Like I know when I put parks down the buildings upgrade and get bigger but what does that actually do? Is it just that they have more people in them thats it? Does land value actually do anything?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Vire posted:

So what is the advantage to upgrading your buildings. Like I know when I put parks down the buildings upgrade and get bigger but what does that actually do? Is it just that they have more people in them thats it? Does land value actually do anything?

Higher level means more people living/working there, it also means higher tax income. Land value is useful for increasing level.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 31, 2022

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

splifyphus posted:

I want an undo button with a list of previous actions.

Unless they extend the API more or some serious work is put into it, this is unfortunately nearly impossible right now.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
My city was doing well and growing fast till all of a sudden I had a trash pile-up, followed by lots of sick people, and then lots of dead people, and precipitous population decline. Nearly every building has trash buildup, but none of my trash places is using more than a third of its dump trucks. And I don't really have traffic problems. I followed a garbage truck for awhile and it picked up almost nothing. Whaaaat?

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and burger posted:

My city was doing well and growing fast till all of a sudden I had a trash pile-up, followed by lots of sick people, and then lots of dead people, and precipitous population decline. Nearly every building has trash buildup, but none of my trash places is using more than a third of its dump trucks. And I don't really have traffic problems. I followed a garbage truck for awhile and it picked up almost nothing. Whaaaat?

As a side note, just the thought of having to build so many landfills and incinerators makes me anxious. I'm keeping my eye out for a mod that introduces future tech to help you deal with garbage in a more sustainable way. Or maybe there's something already like that in the game and I haven't unlocked it yet.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Duck and burger posted:

Lots of people have had the same problem, there seems to be something wrong with the pathfinding of services.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I finally made a city I'm pretty happy with.

The city is in the bottom of a huge canyon so I have a super limited amount of space to work with.

On the plus side, it forces you to not use a grid.

There's some delicious oil deep into the canyon, far away from the highway. But I gotta get that black gold.

All that industrial traffic does tax my surface roads however. There's no space in the canyon to extend the highway.

So I've tried my darndest to get some good public transit in there to cut the amount of driving my cims will do.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Good news everybody, somebody is working on a CimCopter mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6wQpXZPvpQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoBaatHKwKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah I can't wait to fly around my stupid cities in helicopter mode.