Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Micra looks absolutely hideous. Nissan must get some sadistic pleasure out of making each iteration more ugly then the last and seeing how many they can move on price alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It could be cool if you sawzalled it into a little pickup

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

That new kart track needs a Kei car racing league. Suzuki Carrys, Dhaihatsu Hijets, Honda Beats, etc.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

That new kart track needs a Kei car racing league. Suzuki Carrys, Dhaihatsu Hijets, Honda Beats, etc.

I would be all over that poo poo. Can we include the little mini trucks too?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Which of you are in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mR2FFH83X8

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Land prices are so hosed. 5 years ago you could get a quarter section an hour out for 100 grand. now it's 300 grand for land touching saskatchewan, and over a mil for something near the city,

loving scumbang cocksucker realtors listing the price as per acre.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McTinkerson posted:

Subaru Justy Cup :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Where was that? I'd like to get into that.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah I have a rally car fund and I'm seriously considering just using that for a gokart now that I've seen that track. It'd be so much more cheaper to run... Plus I think there's supposed to be a 3 hour endurance race in October.

I got into this mind space recently where I'm obsessing over light weight tight handling cars and karts seemed like the most logical endpoint of that. I'm selling my little dual sport bike this spring and I was going to get a cheap dirt bike but then I started looking at Karts.

I looked at racing them but
I doubt I could afford a full season. Sounds like consumables kick your rear end. I just want to get one and bomb around a mini road course. I don't give a poo poo about leagues or standings or anything. :smith:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

Where was that? I'd like to get into that.

There's quite a few events all over the states.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

I've always wanted to put together an "Alberta Special" and see what you can get for $500 here.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I got into this mind space recently where I'm obsessing over light weight tight handling cars and karts seemed like the most logical endpoint of that. I'm selling my little dual sport bike this spring and I was going to get a cheap dirt bike but then I started looking at Karts.

I looked at racing them but
I doubt I could afford a full season. Sounds like consumables kick your rear end. I just want to get one and bomb around a mini road course. I don't give a poo poo about leagues or standings or anything. :smith:

I dunno I'm looking at it versus rallying so that's where I kind of see it as a cheaper option. I'm surprised you find the consumables the killer because I was talking to a guy who's son does it and it seemed reasonable and stuff like tires would get you through the season. Engine rebuild was the only thing that seemed like it'd be a killer and that was because you can't do it yourself and have a legal engine for events.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I've always wanted to put together an "Alberta Special" and see what you can get for $500 here.

A rusty bicycle no lowballers i know what i got.

edit: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2004-crown-vic-project-or-parts-car-pending-sale/1058412230?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

you could buy this and flip the diff. a panther will hit 63mph in reverse.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 21, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Probably would be the best shot at finishing with a car from alberta.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

There's quite a few events all over the states.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

I dunno I'm looking at it versus rallying so that's where I kind of see it as a cheaper option. I'm surprised you find the consumables the killer because I was talking to a guy who's son does it and it seemed reasonable and stuff like tires would get you through the season. Engine rebuild was the only thing that seemed like it'd be a killer and that was because you can't do it yourself and have a legal engine for events.

I was probably looking at the wrong sources. I started reading one of the local league's forums and there were guys saying you should budget $3-4k/yr for consumables, which seemed crazy since a whole kart is like $3-4k.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

I was probably looking at the wrong sources. I started reading one of the local league's forums and there were guys saying you should budget $3-4k/yr for consumables, which seemed crazy since a whole kart is like $3-4k.

I wouldn't say that number is wrong but I would assume that's based on the idea that you're looking to consistently win races and podiums throughout the season. I'm kind of expecting $1,500 in consumables the first year. Tires look like $300 for a set, I'm thinking I'm going to probably need three or four the first year since new surface, learning the ropes etc then $300 for other maintenance items. I've got no clue what the engine rebuild schedule is like but I'm assuming it'll be something like $1,000 and needs to be done every two years.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

I wouldn't say that number is wrong but I would assume that's based on the idea that you're looking to consistently win races and podiums throughout the season. I'm kind of expecting $1,500 in consumables the first year. Tires look like $300 for a set, I'm thinking I'm going to probably need three or four the first year since new surface, learning the ropes etc then $300 for other maintenance items. I've got no clue what the engine rebuild schedule is like but I'm assuming it'll be something like $1,000 and needs to be done every two years.

Yeah, that's probably reasonable but like I said I don't care about leagues or standings or even anybody else being on the track. I just want a sweet little kart and a track to drive it on. I'd doubt that anyone would rent me track time to just go out and be a loser. And the fact that you can't do your own wrench is understandable but sucks some of the fun out as well.

I think this is why I'll just end up getting another dirt bike. I can just go out and ride on my own time, have fun. No hassle. I think I would have the same issues with any organized Motorsport. I had a good time racing mini stocks years ago but I just don't have the time and money anymore.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 22, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah, that's probably reasonable but like I said I don't care about leagues or standings or even anybody else being on the track. I just want a sweet little kart and a track to drive it on. I'd doubt that anyone would rent me track time to just go out and be a loser. And the fact that you can't do your own wrench is understandable but sucks some of the fun out as well.

I think this is why I'll just end up getting another dirt bike. I can just go out and ride on my own time, have fun. No hassle. I think I would have the same issues with any organized Motorsport. I had a good time racing mini stocks years ago but I just don't have the time and money anymore.

This is why we need pocket bikes and a pickup truck. There plenty of empty Walmart parking lots around the city at 0200.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

This is why we need pocket bikes and a pickup truck. There plenty of empty Walmart parking lots around the city at 0200.

Alberta transportation has re-defined "highway" as "anywhere cars are regularly allowed to travel" so they could outlaw pocket bikes in parking lots.

edit: motherfucking snowfall warning, and we already got 4 inches :psyduck:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 22, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So selling my SVX and these people want Centaur Subaru to look at it. Finally Calgary Subaru dealerships not knowing anything about my car is working in my favor. I'll eat my hat if they figure out how to see if there were engine or transmission codes in the history.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ, I know your ad and what you're asking for it. Someone wanting to take a car of that price level for an inspection is just :psyduck:

It's a nice car at a borderline beater price for gods sake.

E: I'm still tempted you sonofabitch don't do this to me

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ, I know your ad and what you're asking for it. Someone wanting to take a car of that price level for an inspection is just :psyduck:

It's a nice car at a borderline beater price for gods sake.

E: I'm still tempted you sonofabitch don't do this to me

I seriously don't get why they're going this route. Even ignoring the age and price if the purpose was to have a "subaru expert" examine the car I've specifically had fights with that place over whether known issues with the SVX were a problem, and I'm not going to be the one to tell them they don't know poo poo about the car. On top of that the car doesn't have OBD2 and the OBD1 test connector is hidden in a kick panel.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The place I work at regularly sends drivers on deliveries of more than 13 hours of driving in a single stretch. On Friday I've mentioned in passing to HR that we should probably start looking into other options, because now they send them to oilfield training courses where the commercial driving limits are brought up and drivers will start asking questions. Today I got greeted with "don't bother taking your coat off, you're done". Ok then.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

iv46vi posted:

The place I work at regularly sends drivers on deliveries of more than 13 hours of driving in a single stretch. On Friday I've mentioned in passing to HR that we should probably start looking into other options, because now they send them to oilfield training courses where the commercial driving limits are brought up and drivers will start asking questions. Today I got greeted with "don't bother taking your coat off, you're done". Ok then.

Get a lawyer. Whistleblow that place out of the loving water.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Get a lawyer. Whistleblow that place out of the loving water.

This. Being laid off is one thing. Being fired for suggesting that your company should maybe look into being in compliance with the law warrants that place being burnt to the ground.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

iv46vi posted:

I know more than a few fluid haulers that are doing 14-16 hour days. Something scary bout a dude working 21 on 7 off 16 hour days while hauling a trailer full of fuckheavy crude.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Amos Moses posted:

I know more than a few fluid haulers that are doing 14-16 hour days. Something scary bout a dude working 21 on 7 off 16 hour days while hauling a trailer full of fuckheavy crude.

I used to do that all the time. Running between whitecourt and oilfield roads, you would run flat out, there was a rest stop or town every 20-30 minutes so you slept where you houred out. If you got onto the private road before you houred out you finished the load and drove back to the entrance to sleep. sometimes you'd get in for your last load and were asked to transfer fluid on loc or between 2 close locs, so getting to the location at 15 hours on shift, working until 19 hours on shift, and then sleeping on location.

We really needed those long days though. Working under provincial regs, it's 15 hours on, 8 hours off. Those of you who don't work in dispatch will realize that's 23 hours, not 24, so running to the limits of the law, you would either have to dick around for an extra hour, run over the legal limit, or your day would walk backwards an hour every day. you start at 10am on day 1, by day 7 you're starting at 4am.

That wasn't a problem though, even though it was bordering on illegal. The problem was working a day shift, getting up at 9am, and then getting a call to go out at 9pm the next day and work until noon, sleep, be awake all night, then get a call to go out at 9am again. The flip-flopping back and forth between day and night shift which is completely legal under the letter of the law was far worse than 16 hour days.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
There is an Alberta AI thread? I didn't think you hicks knew how to use computers.

I love you

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

There is an Alberta AI thread? I didn't think you hicks knew how to use computers.

I love you

Hey. Most of us are from Ontario.

Not me though, I had a newfie type up this post.

@iv: So sorry to hear it, man. gently caress those creeps.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hey. Most of us are from Ontario.

Not me though, I had a newfie type up this post.

@iv: So sorry to hear it, man. gently caress those creeps.

It's alright, I'm trying really hard not to type this up in Mandarin.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Jesus christ.

No longer going to the subaru dealership now its going to some other mechanic in his home garage. I know enough about cars to check stuff out myself, but seriously do people go to these lengths for a $3000 car? When I bought my Scirocco I checked all the engine bay and fluids, made sure it ran reasonable well, drove it around the block, was satisfied it wasn't going to light itself on fire and bought it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Jesus christ.

No longer going to the subaru dealership now its going to some other mechanic in his home garage. I know enough about cars to check stuff out myself, but seriously do people go to these lengths for a $3000 car? When I bought my Scirocco I checked all the engine bay and fluids, made sure it ran reasonable well, drove it around the block, was satisfied it wasn't going to light itself on fire and bought it.

I buy everything at auctions because i have a gambling problem.

I'm up probably $3k on the BMW after 12,000kms, $5k on the lincoln, down $5k on the king ranch after 30,000kms, up $1k on cores alone with the F250, lost $3k on the subaru, and the $17k mack did the work of $100k truck and earned over $300k and would still probably sell for what i paid for it.

In 5 years, i've paid $46k for 6 vehicles, driven 200,000kms, and if i sold everything right now, would be at about $49k

That's not counting repairs and such, but really that's in the cost of driving 200,000kms

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I do the gambling on cars thing too, with the SVX I took one look at it running and bought it. Hell anything under $5k is a shot in the dark in my opinion. I mean honestly my car could be throwing codes left and right and there'd be nothing the mechanic could see if I parked it up the street and disconnected the battery to reset everything before taking it to him.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They do have access to SSM1 at the dealership, so you could probably conceivably pull something out of the ECU that way. I doubt it persists past a pulled battery or has readiness monitors.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

Jesus christ.

Tell him to gently caress off.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

1500quidporsche posted:

Jesus christ.

Tell that rear end in a top hat to hit the road. He's going to use that shadetree mechanic to "find" a bunch of poo poo to try and lowball you.

Been down that road.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I already told them thursday is okay but I'm going to be in the garage the whole time and we aren't done until the car is put perfectly back together. At this point I already told them I have other people interested and won't be negotiating on price. Its a mother buying it for her son so I want to believe she's got the best intentions but I know that car like the back of my hand and am just going to laugh at them if they try pulling anything.

edit:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They do have access to SSM1 at the dealership, so you could probably conceivably pull something out of the ECU that way. I doubt it persists past a pulled battery or has readiness monitors.

I think you can pull the code history if they can find the connector. But it's not going to be worth much, there's no transmission codes on it and the last engine code was for the MAF which I re-soldered and cleared the code history afterwards.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 24, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

Its a mother buying it for her son so I want to believe she's got the best intentions but I know that car like the back of my hand and am just going to laugh at them if they try pulling anything.
Oh god.

$5 says the "mechanic" won't have a clue where to jack the car up, or tries to drive it up some ramps only to push the ramps across the floor of the garage because the front is too low.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

Oh god.

$5 says the "mechanic" won't have a clue where to jack the car up, or tries to drive it up some ramps only to push the ramps across the floor of the garage because the front is too low.

Yeah if I get the faintest idea this guy has no clue what he's doing I'm gone.

Bonus edit: Just got a guy emailing me asking if the engine has a timing belt :suicide:

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 24, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just give your car to me and save yourself the anguish.
I've always wanted an SVX :3:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The mechanic is gonna come back saying the spurving bearings are gone causing a misalignment of the panametric fan, and all 6 hydrocoptic marzlevanes need to be replaced, about $1500 in work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

I buy everything at auctions because i have a gambling problem.

I'm up probably $3k on the BMW after 12,000kms, $5k on the lincoln, down $5k on the king ranch after 30,000kms, up $1k on cores alone with the F250, lost $3k on the subaru, and the $17k mack did the work of $100k truck and earned over $300k and would still probably sell for what i paid for it.

In 5 years, i've paid $46k for 6 vehicles, driven 200,000kms, and if i sold everything right now, would be at about $49k

That's not counting repairs and such, but really that's in the cost of driving 200,000kms

i know a guy who just lost 20k on a car he bought at auction. it was stolen, VIN swapped. somehow whoever did the out of province and whoever was supposed to check for bad VINS at the auction both missed the Dymo labler vin tags.