Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
So I have 100' of some T-Max 100 that expired in 1994 and I will probably be using that for a while. I also pushed it to 400 for more crunch.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
dat contrast

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
dat dogge

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
gonerfest ftw

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

gonerfest ftw

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

for all of us that hate money, KEH is having a 15% off everything used sale today with code LUCKY15.

:homebrew:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Really debating whether I should bite the bullet on a used nikkor 105 f2.5 with that deal.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you're going to own a telephoto for a 35mm it's that. It's smaller and better than pretty much every alternative.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That gets me a 300mm f/4.5 for like $100. :toot:

E: And ordered!

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 17, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

BANME.sh posted:

Really debating whether I should bite the bullet on a used nikkor 105 f2.5 with that deal.

I hate my photos less when I use that lens, it's real nice.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I ordered one minutes after making that post :getin:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

I hate my photos less when I use that lens, it's real nice.

Re-post this in your favourite flavour of gear thread, get a new thread title.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I got my hands on a bunch of weird expired film today

2x AGFAcolor XRS 1000 120 - expired 1990
1x AGFAcolor XRS 400 120 - expired 1990
1x AGFAPAN VARIO-XL ASA 125-1600 120 - expired 1984
1x AGFAORTHO 25 135 - expired 2000
4x Rollei IR 400 120 - expired 2011

Do I need to do anything special to shoot the IR film? How do I meter for it and does the IR focus ring dot really make a difference if I am shooting stopped down landscapes?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I give up, what is it?

ape
Jul 20, 2009
It's some funky bacteria at Yellowstone shot with a red filter. I think I have a color shot of it somewhere.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Two new things for me yesterday: ran a roll of Ultrafine Extreme 400 through a new to me Koni-Omega Rapid.
The Koni is a beastly 6x7 wedding camera and when I went back through the medium/large format thread a few weeks ago, it stuck out as a cheap way to shoot some 6x7 (and build muscle mass).
Shot the UF400 at box speed and developed in Rodinol per guide for HP5 - has anyone else tried this stuff?
Excuse the hasty scans, wanted to get these done as ASAP to function check the camera....there are fingerprints:negative:

KORapid_UFxtreme400_Rodinol_testroll-2
by Bud_lish, on Flickr

KORapid_UFxtreme400_Rodinol_testroll-1
by Bud_lish, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Looks like newton rings to me

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Def newton rings.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I have three rolls of film slide from a family trip in the 1980s that I was asked to get developed, how feasible is it to get semi usable images off of this assuming the film it's self hasn't turned to dust?

I also have one roll of panatomic-x film from the same vintage I want to develop as well, anything in particular I should be aware of developing film older than I am?

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

bobmarleysghost posted:

Def newton rings.

Weird, didn't think I flipped the better scanning holder glass but I'll look later. The negs were still kinda curled, but not the worst I've scanned. Any other culprits?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Were they curling downward onto the scanner glass?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I have three rolls of film slide from a family trip in the 1980s that I was asked to get developed, how feasible is it to get semi usable images off of this assuming the film it's self hasn't turned to dust?

I also have one roll of panatomic-x film from the same vintage I want to develop as well, anything in particular I should be aware of developing film older than I am?

What slide film is it? If it's an E6 film you should be fine - if it's an E4 or Kodachrome you may be out of luck. I've had Kodacolor-X (1963-1974) film developed with vaguely usable results Similarly, I've developed 1960s-vintage Verichrome Pan, and shot Panatomic-X that expired in the Eisenhower administration, both without much issue. If I remember correctly, Panatomic-X has pretty good latent image properties, so you should be able to get decent results developing it as normal, or maybe adding 10%.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Slide film is ektachrome 64 and 200

Says e-6

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I bought an 8x10 :frogbon: please help me make room for it by buying some of my film hoard: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=213#post443035936

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

I bought an 8x10 :frogbon: please help me make room for it by buying some of my film hoard: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=213#post443035936

Baller, what did you get?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

8th-snype posted:

Baller, what did you get?

I got a newer Cambo SC :hehe:

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

ansel autisms posted:

Were they curling downward onto the scanner glass?

They were, and I remember thinking is that bad? I guess so.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Film touching glass is how you get newton rings. Flip your film so the curl goes into the betterscanning glass and gets held flat.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Bud posted:

Koni-Omega Rapid.

Why are these things so cheap?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

What slide film is it? If it's an E6 film you should be fine - if it's an E4 or Kodachrome you may be out of luck. I've had Kodacolor-X (1963-1974) film developed with vaguely usable results Similarly, I've developed 1960s-vintage Verichrome Pan, and shot Panatomic-X that expired in the Eisenhower administration, both without much issue. If I remember correctly, Panatomic-X has pretty good latent image properties, so you should be able to get decent results developing it as normal, or maybe adding 10%.

It's all e6 aside from one roll of black and white, it's already been exposed 35 years ago so would I push it three stops and pray?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ezekiel_980 posted:

It's all e6 aside from one roll of black and white, it's already been exposed 35 years ago so would I push it three stops and pray?

I wouldn't push at all, personally. The one-stop-per-decade rule is for expired film that you're shooting now, not for developing latent images that are already there. Like I said, I've developed 50-year-old film at box speed and come out fine (less emulsion cracking from bad storage and stuff, or really poor blue layer properties in C22). Maybe add one stop for the Ektachrome if it's been stored poorly.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Develop one roll at box speed, see how it is before proceeding with the other two.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

I wouldn't push at all, personally. The one-stop-per-decade rule is for expired film that you're shooting now, not for developing latent images that are already there. Like I said, I've developed 50-year-old film at box speed and come out fine (less emulsion cracking from bad storage and stuff, or really poor blue layer properties in C22). Maybe add one stop for the Ektachrome if it's been stored poorly.

It's been in a closet in a bedroom the entire time so would that count as decent storage conditions?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

I got a (c-41) roll processed that had been sitting for 35+ years after exposure and didn't have anything special done with it. Came out fine, considering.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ezekiel_980 posted:

It's been in a closet in a bedroom the entire time so would that count as decent storage conditions?

Not great, but not really terrible either. Is the house air-conditioned?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

Not great, but not really terrible either. Is the house air-conditioned?

unfortunately no

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ezekiel_980 posted:

unfortunately no

Checking your location, it's probably not that bad even then. I checked some weather history and summers just don't get that hot where you are.
I would develop it without any particular special instructions, but the best advice is still probably this:

Wild EEPROM posted:

Develop one roll at box speed, see how it is before proceeding with the other two.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
chuckled a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

The Flood Plain, Mont Saint-Michel by Cameron Mattis, on Flickr

It's been a long time since I posted here, but my senior thesis show is this week and anyone in the New York area is welcome to drop by and look at art/drink free booze. Thursday, March 26th, from 6-8 PM at the Tisch School of the Arts, NYU. 721 Broadway, New York. My work is up in the windows of the building so you don't even have to walk in if you're too shy.