Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I was 80% certain getting the chip was going to be a bad idea, but I did it because I didn't want to miss whatever bad thing happens. I was slightly on the fence if not getting the chip would cause another blackout at an inopportune time, instead of just running around in the streets.

Either way, I didn't think the penalty for getting the chip was too punishing. He was probably the easiest boss for me anyways.

I knew it was a bad idea, but figured Jensen wouldn't have a reason to be suspicious. I got the chip on my first play through because I was trying to stay in character. Jensen was having those weird surges and the chip fixes it. Sounds reasonable.
I figured however bad the consequences were, it probably wouldn't be instant death. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

Did anyone take the new biochip? I think I could have made a pretty good guess even if I hadn't read any e-mails at TYM.

I love the fact that TYM has a 3 email limit for people's inboxes.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's been a while, but weren't there also emails from IT ragging on people for hitting that limit?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Brainamp posted:

I saw the lines at the clinic and said, "gently caress standing in that crap." I guess there was also the fact that it was extremely obvious it was a trap, as such things almost always are.

What tipped me off was all the people glitching at the same time as me, right after arriving in Hensha.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you snoop around enough you find out it's been imposed so the IT manager can manually read all the e-mails. Great stuff.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I didn't fall for it because there were several shady-rear end emails at TYM about a new biochip, so I figured it was a trap when the glitch happened.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I did it because I poo poo myself at the first glitch and didn't want to get super scaret again, was curious what would happen, and wanted to see as much content as possible

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Probably because I wasn't paying enough attention, what I gathered from the TYM emails was that TYM employees were discovering Illuminati-inserted exploits in all of their existing biochips. I assumed that the glitches earlier in the game were early symptoms of something much bigger that the Illuminati was setting up for later. And TYM announced the recall because they were rushing out a fixed chip, wanting to protect people.

Then I forget to visit the clinic to get the fixed chips, so I got lucky :v:

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I thought my install or the game was bugged and resolved to do a reinstall if it started happening with more frequency. Then the new biochip option came up, I realized what was going on and felt pretty dumb. Like cutscene Adam, actually.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The biochip thing was the most obvious trap in the world. How would TYM instantly have a physical chip (something that takes time to produce) when this problem started happening?

That said, I wanted to see everything I could, so I picked it up.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Are the load times improved any on the PS3 Directors Cut version? I'm posting this from my great-grandpappy's typewriter, so the PC version's out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just beat what I assume to be the missing link content. That was... kind of bad. Backtracking, a plot that feels kind of divorced from the main game, and a boring environment. I wish I could separate it from the Director's cut.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

blackguy32 posted:

Just beat what I assume to be the missing link content. That was... kind of bad. Backtracking, a plot that feels kind of divorced from the main game, and a boring environment. I wish I could separate it from the Director's cut.

But it had me boy, Garvin.

Bratan was pretty cool too.

But yeah, not the most interesting setting in the game.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The bit on the ship was cool, but yeah after that it just feels like you're running laps around RBS. I'd played the poo poo out of the standard game with the DLC hanging off the side on 360, just bought Director's Cut for PC and with Missing Link spliced in where it 'should be' it kinda spoils the whole game a bit. I was doing a half-assed stealth/no-kill run and my the time I got back from the underwater lab I got pissed with it and it turned into a 'point blank shotgun/rockets to the face' run.
The 'lose all your poo poo/augs' thing worked a lot better when the DLC was standalone too (granted that's the only way it could have worked standalone), it felt really dumb spending 3 dozen praxis and having to redo my inventory right at the end.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Tommychu posted:

The bit on the ship was cool, but yeah after that it just feels like you're running laps around RBS.

The end boss fight is kind of lame too, depending on how you approach it. Once I got close enough, I was able to just toss a gas grenade through the office window and press the Win Button.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I liked the last boss in Missing Link. He's a weird sniper/sentry type, surrounds himself in guards, gets the drop on you, and you can still coldcock him a handful of different ways. It's a neat change from the rest of the campaign, too, and probably the only one where stealth works 100% instead of being a bit odd. It kind of reminds me of a good version of the last two human bosses in Alpha Protocol if they were mixed together.

Also you can steal his gun so he won't have it which is just great :3:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm a weirdo who loved the original DXHR bosses, so the DLC one was a huge disappointment. The fight felt like a hitman mission rather than a real boss battle. I wasn't in mortal danger at any point of the fight.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm a weirdo who loved the original DXHR bosses, so the DLC one was a huge disappointment.

haha, oh man

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

I liked the last boss in Missing Link. He's a weird sniper/sentry type, surrounds himself in guards, gets the drop on you, and you can still coldcock him a handful of different ways. It's a neat change from the rest of the campaign, too, and probably the only one where stealth works 100% instead of being a bit odd. It kind of reminds me of a good version of the last two human bosses in Alpha Protocol if they were mixed together.

Also you can steal his gun so he won't have it which is just great :3:

If you get on top of the gantry, snipe the heavy on his roof and drop in to punch him in the face it's fairly satisfying.

Also speaking of the rolled-in DLC, did anyone else find that stealth was basically impossible in the main room of noodle factory? like unless you're cloaked and gorging on protein bars the entire time it doesn't matter how well you're hidden, one of those hawkeyed pricks will see you.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Are they ever making a sequel to this game or what? I thought it sold well.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The noodle factory is totally stealth-able if your definition of stealth means no alarms / getting shot at. If you're trying to do it without tazers and takedowns or the almighty gas grenade then I dunno.

blackguy32 posted:

You can skip most of the backtracking by just thoroughly raiding the offices for the storage device and retinal prosthesis on your first go. What I disliked was the biometric scanning nonsense that was meant to replace load screens. If that's how long it takes to load on the consoles then I feel sorry for them, but turning it into a fixed animation like Mass Effect 1 minus elevator banter is just insulting to anyone with a PC build in the last five years.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 22, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

notZaar posted:

Are they ever making a sequel to this game or what? I thought it sold well.
Eidos Montreal is working on an MMO based in the Deus Ex universe called Deus Ex: Factions. it's going to be PVP-focused around territory control with various conspiracies.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eidos Montreal is working on an MMO based in the Deus Ex universe called Deus Ex: Factions. it's going to be PVP-focused around territory control with various conspiracies.

:smithicide:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Actually it looks really good. You can have up to four characters but each has to be in a separate city, which is basically like a closed realm. You can't move between cities but you fight for control of a city. So you can fight for multiple factions, but never against yourself or your own side within a city.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

After what Square United Front is doing with Sleeping Dogs I had to look this up to make sure it's not true

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It is true though? :confused:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's competitive first-person stealth. Like you have to wait for instances, but then in those instances you do stuff like protect a target from enemies trying to sneak or, or infiltrate a piece of intel, and the players collectively uncover more details about the setting and the various factions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The FactsAreUseless doth protest too much, methinks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's true, I saw it on Picus.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Actually it looks really good. You can have up to four characters but each has to be in a separate city, which is basically like a closed realm. You can't move between cities but you fight for control of a city. So you can fight for multiple factions, but never against yourself or your own side within a city.

Well then I hope the hubs are bigger than Upper Seattle or 1/4 of Liberty Island, because all the DX games have been about international travel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SpelledBackwards posted:

Well then I hope the hubs are bigger than Upper Seattle or 1/4 of Liberty Island, because all the DX games have been about international travel.
They're supposed to be about four times the size of Hengsha, but there's also a ton of instanced buildings and such for the PVP missions.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Beat Human Revolution, now on to Invisible War which I got for about $1.50. So far I am not liking the weird fisheye effect the game has and the fact that there is no weapon quick select

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Beat Human Revolution, now on to Invisible War which I got for about $1.50. So far I am not liking the weird fisheye effect the game has and the fact that there is no weapon quick select
Don't worry, there's plenty of other things to dislike.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's competitive first-person stealth. Like you have to wait for instances, but then in those instances you do stuff like protect a target from enemies trying to sneak or, or infiltrate a piece of intel, and the players collectively uncover more details about the setting and the various factions.

That's exactly what I want out of my plot-heavy relaxed action stealth games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

notZaar posted:

That's exactly what I want out of my plot-heavy relaxed action stealth games.
I think it's a good direction for the series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it's a good direction for the series.

I'm just not sure about the microtransactions.

Charging for Neuropozyne is thematic, and it's cool how you can run no-augs for free, but having to pay every month if you want any of the cool upgrades bothers me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm just not sure about the microtransactions.

Charging for Neuropozyne is thematic, and it's cool how you can run no-augs for free, but having to pay every month if you want any of the cool upgrades bothers me.
Okay, yeah, pay to win is problematic, but the series has shown us that even augmented agents get taken down in a few shots.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

The FactsAreUseless doth protest too much, methinks

Rambling like that is his gimmick.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I took the chip the first run even though I knew what was going to happen (assuming the game was going all in on the conspiracy nonsense.)

Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So there's this stream going on from Square-Enix about something called "Can't Kill Progress", which has a weird cyberpunk aesthetic, and occasionally has a DXHR style menu pop up, just in purple triangles instead of yellow. There's odd, intermittent votes going on, and a lot of people trying to work up viral buzz for it.

Rampant speculation seems to be it's a new Deus Ex game, but who knows. Likely enough to throw in here though.

Edit: And of course, now it cuts from stuff happening to what looks like four and a half hours of goddamn nothing. Good timing on my part. Still interested, just annoyed with the viral marketing gimmick.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 6, 2015

• Locked thread