Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kommando posted:

Brisbane Goonmeet March.

Mu'ooz, West End
Monday 23rd March. 18:30 hrs
http://www.muooz.com.au/

Sorry bout the late notice. Tell the usual.

Is this still happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Will Bryan Brown be in it?

'Two Hands' had Bryan Brown in it. And our boy Heath. I liked it.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

bowmore posted:

why would they do this?

It's a honyepot. They're hoping to find five missing kids after surveilling all the creepy fucks who go to see it.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I hope they get some kind of therapeutic value out of it :(

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
My understanding of the Victorian election was that it boiled down to "Tunnel, also rail level crossings because this backwards state still has those for some reason." Hardly inspiring stuff.

But this NSW election is surreally insipid. One side wants to maintain the status quo in respect of the electricity network and... not talk about any other policies. The other side wants to raise money through privatisation, the proceeds to be spent on a nebulous thing called "infrastructure," maybe?

It gets stranger when you look at the ads. Labor want nothing more than to say "MIKE BAIRD = TONY ABBOTT," but haven't really linked them yet because they haven't realised that there is a vast range of areas where coordination between state and federal governments is required, and that this is where you can hit them.

The Libs have spent all of their ad time justifying why privatisation is good in and of itself, which hardly anyone cares about. What's missing is where they explain that the proceeds from privatisation will be used for *this shopping list of great policies which voters will care about*. But there is no shopping list, only "it's only a 99year lease, lol.

Muppet state.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Shadeoses posted:

Is this still happening?

I hope so!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Stupid lefties, A 99 year lease is not the same as a sale

There's a particularly vile kind of intellectual dishonesty that allows people to go around saying this. That or just plain stupidity.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Birdstrike posted:

My understanding of the Victorian election was that it boiled down to "Tunnel, also rail level crossings because this backwards state still has those for some reason." Hardly inspiring stuff.

But this NSW election is surreally insipid. One side wants to maintain the status quo in respect of the electricity network and... not talk about any other policies. The other side wants to raise money through privatisation, the proceeds to be spent on a nebulous thing called "infrastructure," maybe?

It gets stranger when you look at the ads. Labor want nothing more than to say "MIKE BAIRD = TONY ABBOTT," but haven't really linked them yet because they haven't realised that there is a vast range of areas where coordination between state and federal governments is required, and that this is where you can hit them.

The Libs have spent all of their ad time justifying why privatisation is good in and of itself, which hardly anyone cares about. What's missing is where they explain that the proceeds from privatisation will be used for *this shopping list of great policies which voters will care about*. But there is no shopping list, only "it's only a 99year lease, lol.

Muppet state.

I've lost count of the amount of times Baird has promised money to something these past few weeks. Must be a lot of money in the electricity poles.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
If I were NSW Labor I would simply run an ad saying:

"Queensland rejected this plan, are we really worse than Queensland?"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
State elections are rarely about anything but making it rain money in marginal seats. There is no contest of ideas because there are no ideas.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

There's a particularly vile kind of intellectual dishonesty that allows people to go around saying this. That or just plain stupidity.

dem poles are going to last for centuries!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

six movies in however many years?

yeah sure
I could keep going but I don't have all night to name them all

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
WAPOL shot and killed a guy during a domestic call on Friday night because he came at them armed and dangerous, and they had some brief footage of the weapon on the news tonight. It was a Leatherman mini-blade on a pocketknife, about 3 inches long. Apparently they didn't try to use pepper spray or tasers either, just shot him in the stomach. A pretty WAPOL job, really.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Murodese posted:

WAPOL shot and killed a guy during a domestic call on Friday night because he came at them armed and dangerous, and they had some brief footage of the weapon on the news tonight. It was a Leatherman mini-blade on a pocketknife, about 3 inches long. Apparently they didn't try to use pepper spray or tasers either, just shot him in the stomach. A pretty WAPOL job, really.
loving annoying. To generalise a tad police are only a product of their training and their environment. Of course some people would join a police force just to be an arsehole but it would be a tiny minority. So something is causing them to be strong on softness.

Of course we weren't there and the matter must be investigated but gently caress that's just seems weak.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Murodese posted:

A 3" deep cut is pretty loving bad, cops don't want to get hurt.

If they're carrying tasers and poo poo they should probably be ready to use them though.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

Muppet state.

Actually the east west link itself had popular support despite the perception that it was widely hated. It was a dumb idea but the majority of people liked it. It was more a case of the liberals being loving useless.

Further, on the topic of 99 year leases, as a hopeful future urban planner there absolutely is a difference between them and sales in some situations. I would love to work in Canberra because massive amounts of the land there is still leasehold instead of freehold and that means you can plan for some really exciting stuff in the future that is practically impossible when you've sold the land off proper.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bowmore posted:

I disagree

Snowtown, Wake in Fright, Mad Max, Chopper, The Badabook, Dark City all good movies from Aus

Looking For Alibrandi, Dirty Deeds, Iron Sky (Finnish/German/Australian endeavour), the Crocodile Dundee franchise, The Castle, The Dish, Happy Feet, Kenny, Moulin Rouge, The Rage in Placid Lake...

what do you mean Australian cinema is a cultural wasteland

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Are you seriously using Iron Sky as evidence that Australia is not a cultural wasteland?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shadeoses posted:

Is this still happening?

I'm going! Can't wait to try more of Mu'ooz's stuff. Just be careful with their coffee, it is hella strong.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ScreamingLlama posted:

Iron Sky (Finnish/German/Australian endeavour)
hold up

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Another contentious policy from the Dems.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Iron Sky was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The NY scenes were filmed in Hamburg and a good portion of the cast was German.

Zenithe posted:

Are you seriously using Iron Sky as evidence that Australia is not a cultural wasteland?

Present an argument to the contrary that doesn't involve "I thought it was a lovely movie about Space Nazis"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

Present an argument to the contrary that doesn't involve "I thought it was a lovely movie about Space Nazis"

Why can't I use valid criticisms?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

Why can't I use valid criticisms?

Some people like the film and you're invalidating their personal experience.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ScreamingLlama posted:

Some people like the Paranormal Activity movies.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

I thought it was poo poo. Why are you invalidating my personal experience?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

I thought it was poo poo. Why are you invalidating my personal experience?

I'm not, just saying you need to find another argument because the one you intend to use is too subjective.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ScreamingLlama posted:

I haven't even seen this film but I'm willing to bet, based on previous evidence, that you're wrong.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

ScreamingLlama posted:

Looking For Alibrandi, Dirty Deeds, Iron Sky (Finnish/German/Australian endeavour), the Crocodile Dundee franchise, The Castle, The Dish, Happy Feet, Kenny, Moulin Rouge, The Rage in Placid Lake...

what do you mean Australian cinema is a cultural wasteland
poo poo, decent, decent, boring, good, good, poo poo, poo poo, boring

Because it is.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also Looking For Alibrandi is also a poo poo film.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

ScreamingLlama posted:

I'm not, just saying you need to find another argument because the one you intend to use is too subjective.

When you're talking about a particular artwork...isn't practically EVERY argument subjective?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes, unless I don't like it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

If you think Kenny is a cultural classic, I have no loving idea what is wrong with you. The same applies to Iron Skies and any Crocodile Dundee movie. Happy Feet is pretty much just bland poo poo too.

The Dems have lovely taste in culture, who'd have guessed?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anyway, Iron Sky:

The premise was interesting, but the tone was weird and the humour was not very sophisticated nor was it at all original. The script wasn't good enough to make up for the acting, and the acting wasn't bad enough to make up for the script.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Baz Luhrman Is Bad.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I notice that none of you have mentioned 52 Tuesdays when discussing Australian film.

For shame.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Fruity Gordo posted:

Baz Luhrman Is Bad.

This for all time.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Fruity Gordo posted:

Baz Luhrman Is Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also Looking For Alibrandi is also a poo poo film.

and as a book.

• Locked thread