Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

counterpoint: easy mode gets it over with much faster; a good thing in this hectic world of non-boring games to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Zaphod42 posted:

Armored Core 1 was good but the controls were janky, same with Project Phantasma. 2 was pretty legit but still had kinda janky controls, but had generally the best missions. 3 was the high water mark of the series, and it was all downhill from there.

Obligatory Chromehounds lament and reminiscence post, something something base piles.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goddamn hardline SP sucks. I think I'd rather play BF4 SP.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

Goddamn hardline SP sucks. I think I'd rather play BF4 SP.
What?! Hardline SP started off surprisingly strong, but now that I'm on Chapter 5 it's not as strong anymore, but it's still wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the dogshit that was the BF4 campaign.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
BF4's single player is one of the worst I've ever played.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

BF4's single player is one of the worst I've ever played.
My favorite part is when the enemy just suddenly transitions from Chinese to Russians and no one acts surprised at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At least the shooting was good. The arrest mechanic is crap and everything else in the first hour and a half has been non gameplay.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The only thing worse than the BF4 campaign was the BF3 campaign

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eh. BF4 get's a ton of poo poo, but I thought it was on par with most other junky SP campaigns in military shooters. At least I found it a decently fun distraction when I was in the right mood. I couldn't tell you what the hell it was about but the same goes with every other COD campaign. Bf3 was as horrendous as it gets credit for. I couldn't even finish it and I'm usually not expecting much out of a campaign like that.

Hopefully hardline gets better but I think the god awful arrest mechanic is irredeemable, albeit sort of comical how fast the AI goes from passive to shooting. I just hit the point where I'm shooting everyone but it's still boring the crap out of me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Literally the only thing I remember from BF3's campaign is the on-rails jet level. And BF4's campaign was just aggressively mediocre at every turn. Hardline is at least attempting to try something different and it's not the best campaign or anything, but I'm not praying for it to be over as soon as possible.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I just want to save some Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I hate "story games" because they sacrifice gameplay for the sake of telling their DEEP NARRATIVE, aka some generic bilge with a dumb twist. It doesn't help that it's a zombie game, which always have the same loving twist (you/humans are the real monsters). If I really wanted an 'engaging' story I'd watch a movie or read a book, but I don't. I want to shoot some goddamn zombies. Is that so much to ask?

The problem was that I had never heard anything about TLoU's gameplay, ever. I didn't even know it was third person until very recently because nobody had ever talked about the actual gameplay, just the story. Combine that with the boatload of awards from god knows where, I assumed it was just games journalists finally having a game that panders to their non-existant skills that also looks pretty enough for them, and has a "deep" story that panders to their purple prose bullshit. Bioshock Infinite got the same treatment and we all know how much rear end that game sucked.

Either way, I'm glad you actually took the time out to give an actual explanation, and I might actually try it now that I know there's some actual gameplay behind it. Thanks :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
TLoU's gameplay is workmanlike but solid and benefits from its willingness to let things go completely to poo poo at the least provocation. I lost count of how many careful sneaky-stabbing routes I botched because I accidentally walked Joel into a tin can and that attracted someone's attention and now everything is gunshots and screaming.

The best part is when an enemy has you on the ropes only for Ellie to hop out from around a corner and shiv them in the back before darting off again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if that was something they added relatively late in the game after the "maybe we shouldn't praise the militerization of police" kerfluffle.

Have to imagine that there was some kind of last minute reworking because the xp stuff isn't balanced at all, instead you can max out your "expert level" halfway through the game.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Lakbay posted:

Why time do games start preloading? 27 gigs for Bloodborne might take awhile on my crappy Internet even on a wired connection.

VVV I mean what time on Sundays.

Afternoon / evening from what I can tell

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

TLoU's gameplay is workmanlike but solid and benefits from its willingness to let things go completely to poo poo at the least provocation. I lost count of how many careful sneaky-stabbing routes I botched because I accidentally walked Joel into a tin can and that attracted someone's attention and now everything is gunshots and screaming.

The best part is when an enemy has you on the ropes only for Ellie to hop out from around a corner and shiv them in the back before darting off again.

One of the best random moments for me was a guy getting the jump on me while my health was hosed and I was reloading a shotgun. I thought I was done for, just for Ellie to suddenly huck a bottle at the dude's head and distract him.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alabaster White posted:

I hate "story games" because they sacrifice gameplay for the sake of telling their DEEP NARRATIVE, aka some generic bilge with a dumb twist. It doesn't help that it's a zombie game, which always have the same loving twist (you/humans are the real monsters). If I really wanted an 'engaging' story I'd watch a movie or read a book, but I don't. I want to shoot some goddamn zombies. Is that so much to ask?

When people talk about the story in The Last of Us they're talking about the characters and the pacing and the setting, not any "twist". All the zombie apocalypse stuff is just the backdrop for what ends up being a pretty good narrative with pretty good characters for a video game. Most of the time the characters sort of take the end of the world stuff for granted, it's not the focus of the plot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one character doesn't know how to swim therefore you must stop your journey to kill the same 3 enemies again following a very bad physics puzzle in a dark sewer

which part of the game am i discussing, quizlords? it could be any of the 5 times this happens.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Real hurthling! posted:

one character doesn't know how to swim

Yet she knows how to pop a clutch. Unless The Last of Us takes places in a past America manual cars are pretty uncommon with me only knowing four people my age (25) who can drive it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Manual cars are not uncommon. What a ridiculous thing to say.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Manual cars are not uncommon. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Less than 10% of cars sold are manual transmissions. They're very uncommon.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ellie knows how to ride a horse like an expert equestrian and that's an even more rarefied skill. Just chalk it up to ludonarrative dissonance and whatever makes for the gameplay.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I enjoyed The Last of Us' story. It's good as a story and not just "good for a video game." :shrug:

Mostly on the back of the two protagonists' conversations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Have to imagine that there was some kind of last minute reworking because the xp stuff isn't balanced at all, instead you can max out your "expert level" halfway through the game.
Or they just expected people to arrest two/three guys then just shoot up the rest.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ellie knows how to ride a horse like an expert equestrian and that's an even more rarefied skill. Just chalk it up to ludonarrative dissonance and whatever makes for the gameplay.

This one is addressed in game though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

big mean giraffe posted:

And yet somehow they're everywhere...

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Feenix posted:

And yet somehow they're everywhere...

gently caress CARS!!!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the zombie apocalypse. Let's go swimming, kids.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

I enjoyed The Last of Us' story. It's good as a story and not just "good for a video game." :shrug:

Mostly on the back of the two protagonists' conversations.

The story is very good and it's the reason the game won like every GOTY award on the planet on the year it was released.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

Lol America.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Almost 1 in 10 is a lot.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I mainly play EA sports' games and even when I play against players on same country I have big lag online. I used to play NHL 12 and 13 on Xbox live and had almost always no lag. Which one should I blame Sony or EA my connection is same it's always been with pretty low ping.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

big mean giraffe posted:

Really? Not like changing gears is my favourite thing in driving, but It's so bizarre how different the market is compared to the old world.

You can get a driver's licence in Finland by getting driving lessons and doing the test by driving a car with automatic transmission, but it means you'll get a footnote in your licence that you are only ever allowed to drive automatic. More than 10% of cars sold definitely have automatic transmission over here, but I don't know anyone who drives and doesn't know how to stick shift.

And all this car talk reminded me how Project Cars kept getting delayed. drat it.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I mainly play EA sports' games and even when I play against players on same country I have big lag online. I used to play NHL 12 and 13 on Xbox live and had almost always no lag. Which one should I blame Sony or EA my connection is same it's always been with pretty low ping.

Are you using wifi to connect your PS4? If yes, switch to using a cable if at all possible. All Sony consoles have ridiculously poor wifi. I haven't had trouble with pings though, mainly the atrocious download speeds.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

No wifi. I forgot to mention that. The download speeds are also low like you said.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

No wifi. I forgot to mention that. The download speeds are also low like you said.

Hm, that's not good. Sadly, I'm not sure if anyone can give you a simple fix for that.

It could perhaps be something about your router settings, but it's also possible that your connection to PSN's servers is routed badly compared to Xbox Live. Could you ask your ISP about that, contact their support? I think they should be interested to know if their connection to PSN is not working properly for their customers.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Thanks for the help. I'll figure something out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Letting a friend borrow Second Son so I can play the campaign of Advanced Warfare. I feel like I'm twelve years old again with a stack of Nintendo cartridges in my rucksack. :3:

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

poptart_fairy posted:

Letting a friend borrow Second Son so I can play the campaign of Advanced Warfare. I feel like I'm twelve years old again with a stack of Nintendo cartridges in my rucksack. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

The dream was real...

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

Almost 1 in 10 is a lot.

When I bought my last car, it was the only manual on the lot. I think the only people that buy them in the US, are people that go out of their way find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

OxMan posted:

Obligatory Chromehounds lament and reminiscence post, something something base piles.

Welp, time to start drinking again to forget this game. I don't think we will get something like that game again, it was a unique snowflake of awesome and terrible.

• Locked thread