Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The only chance Martin O'Mally has to make waves and gain recognition is to hit Hillary from the left. I'm glad to see him position himself this way. God knows he probably hasn't ever had a chance, even without Hillary, but if he spends the time advocating like he has right here then it'll be worth it.

Bernie and O'Mally, pull us just a little further left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz is telling the media they should show up to his "important speech" at Liberty University on Monday. *hint* *hint*

It's nice to see the birthers appear to at least be consistent in their idiotic misunderstandings of who is a Presidential Grade A American. I'm going to laugh so loving hard if Senior Cruz is simply unable to pump out enough crazy to overcome the insanity of birtherism.

I love everything he says, and 100% agree that we should see to it that the fire is not quenched where the worm dieth not. But, well, he's Canadian. So I'm going to have to cast my vote for that loving liberal, Bush.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz is telling the media they should show up to his "important speech" at Liberty University on Monday. *hint* *hint*

Dear God, who art in heaven,

Please make it so each of the crazy-tier republican candidates start to announce dates earlier and earlier than the last one to announce their presidential ambitions, so that we may be awash in announcements starting tomorrow- ideally beginning with Trump or Carson.

In SupplySide Jesus' name,

Amen

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

Ted Cruz to address the graduates from clown college class of 2015.

Hopefully it's these guys.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's hilarious that Republicans think Obama is even close to the unpopularity of Bush to start running two years before he's gone. They're gonna get clobbered. By one another.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nonsense posted:

It's hilarious that Republicans think Obama is even close to the unpopularity of Bush to start running two years before he's gone. They're gonna get clobbered. By one another.
Everyone they listen to is furious and sick with anger at his very existence casting a dark shadow over the land and coloring their freedom. The distance seems to be "worst president ever, possibly a tyrant" on the one hand and "he attempted to false-flag nuke Charleston" on the other.

It's spectacular to me how all this false-flag talk means they can just freely ignore reality they dislike. If they didn't like it, it was obviously a false flag.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Nonsense posted:

It's hilarious that Republicans think Obama is even close to the unpopularity of Bush to start running two years before he's gone.

I saw one republican on my facebook admiring Obama for an incident where he forgot to acknowledge a marine pilot, then doubled back to do it.

Another republican was all "pfft, publicity stunt?"

First republican said "But he can't improve his low Approval Rating now. Why would he care about publicity?"

That was the very same week we started getting ~50% approval polls.
Conservatives are surrounded by other conservatives and presume that their buddies' opinions are representative of America, believing anything that refutes this to be made up. It's some Silent Majority poo poo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

PupsOfWar posted:

Conservatives are surrounded by other conservatives and presume that their buddies' opinions are representative of America, believing anything that refutes this to be made up. It's some Silent Majority poo poo.

There are two components of this that I find really funny, the first is they seem incapable of understanding that a huge chunk of Obama's disapproval is people that think he isn't nearly liberal enough, there isn't a similar chunk on the right that says "Oh, Obama has been mostly reasonable center right, he's OK"

The second part that I keep hearing over and over again is how much "baggage" Clinton has from Bill and Benghazi and the email, etc. The right wing seems to seriously think those things, particularly her association with Bill are major problems...

Ask practically any Gen X/Millennial about the Bill Clinton and they are going to have nothing but fond memories of that time. Bring up the impeachment and they will be reminded about what a bullshit move it was of the Republicans over a blow job. I saw it in 08, volunteering for Wendy Davis and with a lot of my liberal friends, Clinton has a standing army, perhaps bigger then Obama that are going to pound the pavement, man the phones and vote the poo poo out of Clinton, they are waiting with bated breath for Clinton to fire up Obama's servers. On the other hand all indications point to another disastrous and hilarious primary on the right. Oh and Jeb can't help but defend his brother, he keeps doing it, as recently as yesterday I think. That's not going to go well.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 21, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PupsOfWar posted:

I saw one republican on my facebook admiring Obama for an incident where he forgot to acknowledge a marine pilot, then doubled back to do it.

Another republican was all "pfft, publicity stunt?"

First republican said "But he can't improve his low Approval Rating now. Why would he care about publicity?"

That was the very same week we started getting ~50% approval polls.

Reagan just really shat all over the Presidency. Because he was a loving rear end who had to salute people for no reason every loving President does it. And if they don't it's an assault on Freedom, R Boys, and your mother.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
How big of a melt down would there be if a democrat won in 2016 with only the electoral majority, not the popular majority?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Venom Snake posted:

How big of a melt down would there be if a democrat won in 2016 with only the electoral majority, not the popular majority?

The Supreme Court would rule 5-4 in favor of their opponent, obviously.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
edit: Wrong thread.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 21, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Slate Action posted:

The Supreme Court would rule 5-4 in favor of their opponent, obviously.

Well yeah, the public could never trust a president not elected by a majority of citizens.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

It'd be really hard to pull off just due to how few states actually allocate electors proportionally.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Nessus posted:

Everyone they listen to is furious and sick with anger at his very existence casting a dark shadow over the land and coloring their freedom. The distance seems to be "worst president ever, possibly a tyrant" on the one hand and "he attempted to false-flag nuke Charleston" on the other.

It's spectacular to me how all this false-flag talk means they can just freely ignore reality they dislike. If they didn't like it, it was obviously a false flag.

What's this Nuke Charleston conspiracy theory all about? :confused:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

blunt for century posted:

What's this Nuke Charleston conspiracy theory all about? :confused:

Never mind, I found a pretty good article about it: The Batshit Theory That Obama Tried To Nuke Charleston

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Venom Snake posted:

I'm a big fan of any circumstance that makes both sides of the aisle spin their philosophies on a dime. I was kinda hoping for that in 2012 for a bit, unlikely as it was.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Never mind, I found a pretty good article about it: The Batshit Theory That Obama Tried To Nuke Charleston

i really hope this is tied into some weird thing about Ft. Sumter

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mooyashi posted:

i really hope this is tied into some weird thing about Ft. Sumter

Sumter was an American fort that the confederacy shelled, starting the war. I highly doubt they'd entertain a theory that involved the president blowing it up since that's their thing to do.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

south carolina should've been made an Example of long ago

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Sherman tried, but the war ended before he could really do much damage.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

You should check out Dave Weigel's new "Whoa, if true" feature on current conspiracy theories. He did one on the Charleston nuke on Bloomberg.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

PupsOfWar posted:

south carolina should've been made an Example of long ago

You ever see the Hunger Games and wish that was what happened to the South?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I posted the full video in here a week ago. That clip is all you need though. The term that describes this woman's deranged rantings is "gaslighting".

So god damned happy we are going to have 20 candidates running for president, This time last year we were already weeks away from the first debate. Preibus will have a hard time keeping the GOP herd reigned in whether he limits the number of debates or not.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I posted the full video in here a week ago. That clip is all you need though. The term that describes this woman's deranged rantings is "gaslighting".

Unless there's some alternate use of the term I'm not aware of, gaslighting is convincing a woman she's crazy so she will doubt herself and not stand up to sexist mistreatment. This is just a legitimately crazy lady, pretty much the opposite of gaslighting.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Unless there's some alternate use of the term I'm not aware of, gaslighting is convincing a woman she's crazy so she will doubt herself and not stand up to sexist mistreatment. This is just a legitimately crazy lady, pretty much the opposite of gaslighting.

Gaslighting is borrowed from the movie and used refer to people who are conditioned through fear and manipulation until reality completely erodes. People like Bryant Welch propose that media and politics use gaslighting to condition people for socio-political reasons. i.e. Obama almost nuked Charleston.

http://www.amazon.com/State-Confusion-Political-Manipulation-American/dp/0312373066

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

You ever see the Hunger Games and wish that was what happened to the South?

folks in the black belt dont deserve to be reduced to permanent agricultural servitude again, no

also coal is dead, don't put appalachian coalslaves in your futuristic dystopia

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Working on a Sunday has it's advantages, because I get to see news alerts like this before most people.

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) _ AP Source: Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz to launch presidential campaign on Monday.

Not exactly surprising news, but there it is!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And of course, since this is Ted Cruz we're talking about, he's not just announcing, he's being a dick about it at the same time.

quote:

Cruz will launch a presidential bid outright rather than form an exploratory committee, said senior advisers with direct knowledge of his plans, who spoke on condition of anonymity because an official announcement had not been made yet. They say he is done exploring and is now ready to become the first Republican presidential candidate.

... and delusional.

quote:

Cruz's senior advisers, however, see a path to victory that all but ignores that wing. To them, the Republican primaries are a series of single-elimination brackets where the four GOP leaders who best represent the party's libertarian, establishment, social conservative and tea party wings will survive as the field winnows. Cruz will vie for the support of the tea party electorate, his advisers say, but will fare well enough with social conservative and libertarian voters to assemble a powerful coalition.

"Those guys who run for the middle have name ID, but they don't truly have one bracket they crush," said one adviser.

His campaign book, A Time for Truth, shares its title with a bestseller by former Treasury Secretary Bill Simon which was about the need to reign crushing austerity down on New York City.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

And of course, since this is Ted Cruz we're talking about, he's not just announcing, he's being a dick about it at the same time.

... and delusional.

His campaign book, A Time for Truth, shares its title with a bestseller by former Treasury Secretary Bill Simon which was about the need to reign crushing austerity down on New York City.

Lovely. Let the feeding frenzy begin. :allears:

E: so Joe, you think other candidates who were thinking of a different time table for themselves will now start rushing to announce? I want to see them elbow their way to the first camera they see.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 22, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

... and delusional.

So how long until he completely fails to become the candidate and cries like a whiny baby about it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

richardfun posted:

E: so Joe, you think other candidates who were thinking of a different time table for themselves will now start rushing to announce? I want to see them elbow their way to the first camera they see.

I doubt it. Rand already scheduled his announcement for April 7th. I can't imagine that Jeb or Hillary give one poo poo about what Ted Cruz does on any given day. Graham and Carson have their exploratory committees, which allow them to raise cash. I don't think Walker has one yet (correct me if I'm wrong), but he's got a cornucopia of Koch PACs backing him, so no big concern there. The other second-tier candidates, your Kasichs and Pences, were going to need to figure out whether to run or not soon anyway and aren't likely to be influenced by Ted. Christie's still an enigma and has to make a comeback at some point, if he can.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So how long until he completely fails to become the candidate and cries like a whiny baby about it?

I have a feeling he's the type of guy who will fight all the way to the convention and then find a way on stage to continue fighting despite the nominee having overwhelming support.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I pretty much stayed out of it but how did Cruz win Texas anyways? Doesn't basically everyone that has had any sort of prolonged interaction with him hate his guts, even people that otherwise wouldn't have a reason to? Also he is pretty close to his father apparently and his father is absolutely batshit insane, I can't imagine him not being a huge, huge liability in something like a presidential campaign.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Joementum posted:

... and delusional.

I want to find everyone who bitched and moaned about Obama being foreign, yet for some reason would be willing to vote for Ted Cruz, and hit them with Gallagher's hammer

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I think some of you are underestimating Cruz a bit too much, yeah he's thoroughly alienated the Republican establishment, but it's not like the Republican establishment ever backed Herman Cain, Ron Paul, Rick Santorum or especially Newt Gingrich last time around and Cruz is a better retail politician than any of those guys.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

FAUXTON posted:

Sumter was an American fort that the confederacy shelled, starting the war. I highly doubt they'd entertain a theory that involved the president blowing it up since that's their thing to do.

The South didn't attack Fort Sumter. The Usurper "Honest" Abe Lincoln sent in Federal troops to the fort to be used to institute martial law in Charleston and hang the Leaders for State Freedom. The South didn't want a war, but they had to defend themselves from Northern Aggression and Anti-Constitutional justice systems. :freep:

Yes. This is what Southerners believe.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Killer robot posted:

I'm a big fan of any circumstance that makes both sides of the aisle spin their philosophies on a dime. I was kinda hoping for that in 2012 for a bit, unlikely as it was.

The big issue in 2000 wasn't so much the popular vote/EC split so much as it was that Al Gore actually won the EC too, right?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

The big issue in 2000 wasn't so much the popular vote/EC split so much as it was that Al Gore actually won the EC too, right?

You can tell Al Gore didn't win the EC by the way he never served as president. You can argue (and I would) that a fair election and count in Florida would have resulted in Florida's electors casting their votes for Gore, but that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

I think some of you are underestimating Cruz a bit too much, yeah he's thoroughly alienated the Republican establishment, but it's not like the Republican establishment ever backed Herman Cain, Ron Paul, Rick Santorum or especially Newt Gingrich last time around and Cruz is a better retail politician than any of those guys.

All of them of course noted presidential candidates for the Republican party.

• Locked thread