Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Crosspeice posted:

Imperials, I love you, but christ your moves need better accuracy. I'm sure it won't matter in the long run when the prince uses Overdrive and kills me.

Leg Binds and Paralysis for days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's what I'm mostly going for. Needed to rest my NS and A to focus on taking Heavenbringer down. Oh yeah.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Crosspeice posted:

That's what I'm mostly going for. Needed to rest my NS and A to focus on taking Heavenbringer down. Oh yeah.

Imperials have mediocre AGI, so they're gonna miss a couple of times. Try giving them all your speed books., that should help a bit.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Ahaha, fighting a Blue Wallaby and a mushroom in Echoing Library B3, and I know the wallaby counters on the first turn so I decide no problem, I'll kill the mushroom first. My Nightseeker attacks first, procs the death forge on its weapon and immediately kills it. The rest of my party proceed to kill themselves against the wallaby's counters. I missed these games. :allears:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Just unlocked subclassing in my new EO4 run, what's the best subclass for a damage focused Sniper? And what's the best placeholder subclass for a Runemaster till I unlock Bushi?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

Just unlocked subclassing in my new EO4 run, what's the best subclass for a damage focused Sniper? And what's the best placeholder subclass for a Runemaster till I unlock Bushi?

Sub the Runemaster as a medic for backup healing.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Scrap Dragon posted:

For a damage focused Sniper I'd say Bushi for Blood Surge and Charge.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well I managed to beat the Bloodbear with my 5 Sniper party. Both fights ended in 5 rounds. It was hilariously dumb since everyone was dishing out a lot of damage instead of having a couple of party members do support stuff. This is probably a run that's going to have a terrible early game, but a hilariously easy late game, isn't it?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well I managed to beat the Bloodbear with my 5 Sniper party. Both fights ended in 5 rounds. It was hilariously dumb since everyone was dishing out a lot of damage instead of having a couple of party members do support stuff. This is probably a run that's going to have a terrible early game, but a hilariously easy late game, isn't it?
You're doing better than I expected, I'll say that :stare: Honestly I'd expect 5 Snipers to be one of the hardest SCCs - no defense, no support, no ailment clearing, just arrows for days and binds. I mean, binds are super strong and with that many of them they'd probably be legitimately reliable, but...man, I dunno! Keep us posted!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I imagine that Follow Bind skill is going to be ridiculous if you get it on everyone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm kinda fascinated by this "all the same class" party thing.

Not enough to try it myself but yeah keep us posted on the experiment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The only video of a full playthrough of EO4 on Youtube is a 5 Nightseekers run, incidentally.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
On the first map I got "boxed" in by a couple of kangaroos that were 10x larger than my blimp, and could only use burst to escape the fight to the same square (did not buy ariadne thread in order to best spit in the eye of fate oops). Game Over, RIP Pong Cren Jep 3 and Necky

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

You're doing better than I expected, I'll say that :stare: Honestly I'd expect 5 Snipers to be one of the hardest SCCs - no defense, no support, no ailment clearing, just arrows for days and binds. I mean, binds are super strong and with that many of them they'd probably be legitimately reliable, but...man, I dunno! Keep us posted!

I will say that I had a brief period of trouble with the Angry Baboons and the Big Rollers. Binds weren't an issue, it's just that they had so much HP that they took ages to kill since everyone only did around 10 points of damage. Then I realized that I forgot to upgrade their initial bows to the +30 attack bows. That made a huge difference. Unfortunately, I can confirm that the defense stat works exactly like it did in EO3. Your total defense from equipment is divided by 3, so upgrading armor isn't important unless it's a significant increase. (8 to 22 is a significant increase. 8 to 12 is not.) Money isn't an issue because Dendrology makes gathering from Chop Points hilariously profitable since it procs 50% of the time if 5 people have it. Also I have no idea what the increases in Scavenger are, but it's a lot more effective than EO3's version since I only have one person with 3 points in it, and I'm getting a ton of monster drops. That said, a lot of it has to be spent on healing supplies since I have no dedicated healer.

I only got the Bloodbear kill at level 11, and it took two tries so that's probably not that impressive. The first time it ended up killing my entire front line with its opening move and leaving my back row in the red. Guard Order dropped the damage to pathetic levels on the 2nd try, and it dropped pretty fast since it tried the charge up move and everyone stunned it on the first turn. Also I found out that you can cast the same Burst Skill twice in one turn as long as you have enough Burst for those, which really helped.

So far it seems like that you really have to play to your party's strengths in a single class challenge. My current plan is to have two Snipers sub Bushi and have them be my main damage dealers, while the rest sub Arcanist and provide support. That said, I can see this party tackle the Warped Savior. Without chemicals. :getin:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I guess the downside of doing the True Ending after going through the whole game 3 times is that what would otherwise have been a really cool and probably difficult final boss was a complete joke. Oh well!

Can't wait to start getting wrecked in the postgame.

E: Holy poo poo that end sequence Aliens!? :stare: Man Earth just can't catch a break in the Etrian Odyssey series.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Scrap Dragon posted:

sub-Bushi for Sniper is pretty nice. Blood Surge helps out damage a ton and Defiance is a great passive boost for a class that doesn't really mind hauling a katana in its back pocket. Charge also helps here as you can do that while waiting for leg bind or paralysis before dropping Squall Volley. Shockwave is also reliable AoE for a class that doesn't get any, but I never actually found myself using it all that often.

For a Runemaster if you don't have Bushi or Imperial? Uh... Dancer for Burst Saver to get a discount on those elemental bursts? Nightseeker for Speed Boost? Medic for some options, like that guy said? Whatever and just put those 5 skill points into Runic Flare? B and I are the only really good subclasses for Runemasters, so everything else is settling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You have to rest to reclass, so I'd say just keep them as a solo-class until you get what you want.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Honestly, just give them a subclass just so they can get 5 extra points to work with, and then Rest them once you have Bushi. The resting penalty is only 2 levels.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yeah, I figured Bushi would be the best subclass for Sniper but that runs into the same problem my Runemaster has :v:
I'll probably just sub them into whatever and then eat them after I unlock Bushi.

By the by, what's the best subclass for a Bushi itself? I was thinking Nightseeker for dual wielding and that passive that allows weapon skills to activate twice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bushi/Nightseeker is pretty great, yeah. Especially with Swift Edge.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Honestly, just give them a subclass just so they can get 5 extra points to work with, and then Rest them once you have Bushi. The resting penalty is only 2 levels.

It's only two? I'm not sure why I thought it was five.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Scrap Dragon posted:

Yeah, I figured Bushi would be the best subclass for Sniper but that runs into the same problem my Runemaster has :v:
I'll probably just sub them into whatever and then eat them after I unlock Bushi.

By the by, what's the best subclass for a Bushi itself? I was thinking Nightseeker for dual wielding and that passive that allows weapon skills to activate twice.

I actually used Dancer and got Sword Dance; it refills your TP even faster on normal attacks, because if it procs you get the Bushi recovery extra times, and then I could go back to mass murder. Sadly, the counter dance doesn't trigger it.

Nightseeker's Follow Trace is probably a great plan too though. Possibly a better one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Bushi/Nightseeker is pretty great, yeah. Especially with Swift Edge.

It's only two? I'm not sure why I thought it was five.

it was five in eo3

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

I will say that I had a brief period of trouble with the Angry Baboons and the Big Rollers. Binds weren't an issue, it's just that they had so much HP that they took ages to kill since everyone only did around 10 points of damage. Then I realized that I forgot to upgrade their initial bows to the +30 attack bows. That made a huge difference. Unfortunately, I can confirm that the defense stat works exactly like it did in EO3. Your total defense from equipment is divided by 3, so upgrading armor isn't important unless it's a significant increase. (8 to 22 is a significant increase. 8 to 12 is not.) Money isn't an issue because Dendrology makes gathering from Chop Points hilariously profitable since it procs 50% of the time if 5 people have it. Also I have no idea what the increases in Scavenger are, but it's a lot more effective than EO3's version since I only have one person with 3 points in it, and I'm getting a ton of monster drops. That said, a lot of it has to be spent on healing supplies since I have no dedicated healer.

I only got the Bloodbear kill at level 11, and it took two tries so that's probably not that impressive. The first time it ended up killing my entire front line with its opening move and leaving my back row in the red. Guard Order dropped the damage to pathetic levels on the 2nd try, and it dropped pretty fast since it tried the charge up move and everyone stunned it on the first turn. Also I found out that you can cast the same Burst Skill twice in one turn as long as you have enough Burst for those, which really helped.

So far it seems like that you really have to play to your party's strengths in a single class challenge. My current plan is to have two Snipers sub Bushi and have them be my main damage dealers, while the rest sub Arcanist and provide support. That said, I can see this party tackle the Warped Savior. Without chemicals. :getin:

Nice! You probably already know this, but keep in mind that arm binds lower enemies' physical attack damage, so even if you're being slammed by regular attacks, you can use them as de facto power breaks.

I would strongly consider subbing one of your back row snipies as a Fortress. The party wide phys/ele def buffs are going to be very useful. You really don't need the boosts from arcanist: just having lots of luck on your items/accs will make binds easy to apply.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Game.

Set.

Match.

That got a bit hairy and required some creative thinking. Arm Binds were a very limited resource I could rely on thanks to accumulative resistances. I tried bringing some Blind Gases so I wouldn't have to completely rely on them, but none of them landed. I also forgot to equip Ice Coffin, so my damage output was even lower. It was pretty much impossible to stop his super move without using Double Strike twice. Still, none of that was a big issue compared to running out of TP. As nice as their regular attacks are, I had to use all their skills to squeeze out all the damage I needed for the fight. I had to grind for Amritas through the collection box and QR quests. (Only needed 5 of them.) For the record, you can save scum the box where you can leave items. Just reset if you don't get an item you want. Or no item at all. Not really worth doing in most cases though.

Well at least Hollows and the next boss should be a joke. This is actually pretty fun. Working with such a limited set of tools really forces you to think outside of the box.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I feel like your going to want the whole party to have 5 points in Bullseye just to poo poo out damage on things.

Also I feel like you might actually be making use of Divine Shot on this run.

theshim
May 1, 2012

How the everloving gently caress are their exp bars still synced :stare: :argh:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So how exactly do I build a ronin in EOU? The stance mechanics seem kinda weird.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tyty posted:

So how exactly do I build a ronin in EOU? The stance mechanics seem kinda weird.

-Upper Stance
-Swallow Strike
-Swallow Strike
-Swallow Strike
-Swallow Strike
-Swallow Strike

Alternatively you can supposedly build a team around Perfect Chaser. My boyfriend does this and says it works well. I've never tried this because Swallow Strike is all I could ever want.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So then basically all the fancy/elemental slashes aren't very good? :v:

I should've expected as much, but I have an alchemist so I should be fine for elemental damage.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Flame Grater also does silly damage with a weakness, or when combined with Dilution and you might as well grab either Beheading Cut or Severing Slash for conditionals.

But yeah, Swallow Strike will easily do a crap ton of damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

Because when someone dies, the rest tend to follow shortly after thanks to EO4's terrible escape rates. :shepicide: Also. Kirijonen. Wiglaf. Stop getting into fights with rare breed Great Lynxes! :argh:

Tyty posted:

So then basically all the fancy/elemental slashes aren't very good? :v:

I should've expected as much, but I have an alchemist so I should be fine for elemental damage.

No, they're actually good skills. The thing about EOU Ronin is that there's not really one true build for them. They're actually very versatile in what they can do. There's several ways to build one. Some builds focus on Swallow Strike. Others focus on their elementals. And some focus on Peerless Stance. It depends on what you want them to do.

As for how they work, basically their stance skills place a buff on themselves which lets them use a certain set of skills for a few turns. Basically, they have to spend a turn setting up before they can do anything. Unfortunately, since their stances are buffs, enemies can dispel them. Meaning that they'll be forced to use up a turn setting up again if that happens.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, if you planning on using that Iai Strike skill, take it off before Floor 30.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

It's not that hard to do! it's a party where if one of your guys are dead, chances are the whole team is dead.

E: drat, I was beaten.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Cool things about Imperials is that getting the element conditionals, even on bosses, is a lot easier, so the same applies to Ronin in EOU, though I had plenty of Formaldehyde, so might as well.

Also, treasure maps are boring, but useful.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, if you planning on using that Iai Strike skill, take it off before Floor 30.

You mean Severing Slash, and get rid of that skill when you reach the 6th Stratum. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with it. It's a minor convenience at most and depending on how you build your Ronin, they can be very skill point hungry.

The reason you don't want that skill is that there are some enemies in the 6th Stratum that don't do anything at first, but go berserk when their buddies die. Said enemies are immune to instant death.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh no you guys told me about the pumpkins being normal enemies in this game but I forgot.

The first one I fought was by itself... it wasn't too bad...

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
The Trigourd called for allies!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why is there a big eye on the wall... oh no help

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Then you use Antifire and they're not a threat anymore. The elemental walls were so broken in 3. No wonder EO4 got rid of them and they got nerfed hard in the Untold games. Oh, and do not max out the Wall skills in Untold 2. The healing got a huge nerf and a level 10 version of the skill only heals for 10%. It does heal 70% at level 20, but I don't know if using up a Grimoire slot for that is worth it.

5 Sniper Trip report: Okay it turns out that blindsides completely and utterly wreck my party. Regular blindsides pretty much never happen. Scripted blindsides I can't walk into because everyone gets panicked and then kills each other. Also I have to run away from Petaloids because I can't do anything about them since Head binds are only unlocked at level 20. I mean Arm Binds does make Petals a non issue but they can still put everyone to sleep. I really hate this level gating that was done on the skill trees in EO4, it's too restrictive.

EDIT: Oh hey, I need to buy new equipment. I'm only doing 20 damage to Hollows. Fantastic.

EDIT 2: The part where you have to get into a battle in the Moth's Garden in order to lure the Big Moths away is a good puzzle on paper, but is a really dumb thing in practice thanks to how terrible the escape rates are.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

I actually liked the level gating for skills in EO4 in some respects. One of the major reasons I didn't enjoy Untold as much was because there were no breakpoints - no points to reach where things opened up for you. Progression was very gradual and very linear. EO3 had two breakpoints, subclassing and unlocking a class, while EO4 has six with subclassing, three unlocks, and two level gates. It might have been a bit much and it does mean the early game is awkward in some respects, but I really liked the feeling of major milestones and new stuff opening up compared to the simple "one skill point per level, the end" model of earlier games.

• Locked thread