Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Underwhelmed posted:

When I bought my last car, it was the only manual on the lot. I think the only people that buy them in the US, are people that go out of their way find them.

true in the northeast at least. i have the power but i only get to use it on vacation overseas since i got married and had to share a car. when you start rolling back slightly at stoplights on hills or engine brake so that you slow down with no brake lights it confuses american drivers and i had one lady get out of her car and try to attack me because she thought i was loving with her back when i was a teenager.

Aphrodite posted:

It's the zombie apocalypse. Let's go swimming, kids.

at least shoplift some floaties or an innertube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If you think games should have less story, just plain go gently caress yourself.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Welp, time to start drinking again to forget this game. I don't think we will get something like that game again, it was a unique snowflake of awesome and terrible.

Chromehounds was a beautiful unique beast and I don't think there will be anything ever like it again :(. Sal Kar Supremacy then, now, and forever.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

true in the northeast at least. i have the power but i only get to use it on vacation overseas since i got married and had to share a car. when you start rolling back slightly at stoplights on hills or engine brake so that you slow down with no brake lights it confuses american drivers and i had one lady get out of her car and try to attack me because she thought i was loving with her back when i was a teenager.

at least shoplift some floaties or an innertube

Nah no need just find another pallet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

:laffo:

That was in response to the XBone's DRM or something, right?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Unmature posted:

If you think games should have less story, just plain go gently caress yourself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah they went right after Microsoft at E3 2013 and just showed that out of nowhere as their DRM policy. It was amazing. :) I never thought I'd see Sony do something on par with their $299.99 mic drop at the original E3 but there it it PLUS they announced the price as $399.99 instead of MS's $499.99.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poptart_fairy posted:

Yup. The entire e3 was pretty amazing for just how badly Microsoft dropped the ball and Sony just kept on putting the boot in.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Debating if I should jump at Unity at $20 now or wait until I'm really desperate for something to play.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

Debating if I should jump at Unity at $20 now or wait until I'm really desperate for something to play.

Don't buy Unity under any circumstances.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't waste your time with lovely, or average games.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'll never understand people who think a bad game is better at half price. If a game were worth playing, it'd be worth 60 bucks*. If a game is janky, it's not worth your time.

* exceptions made for short games. Some games are quality but super short and an argument could be made for them costing less in some cases.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I can't believe anyone would be so desperate to have a game to play that they would spend money on Unity. I think games would get better if people would lose this mentality. Like if a game is total dogshit like Unity I wouldn't even play it for free. Why bother.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Feenix posted:

I'll never understand people who think a bad game is better at half price. If a game were worth playing, it'd be worth 60 bucks*. If a game is janky, it's not worth your time.

* exceptions made for short games. Some games are quality but super short and an argument could be made for them costing less in some cases.

I dunno, I tend to play all the AC games but wait until they hit $20. Just what I've done for the last, what, 4?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Waste your time and money on whatever you want, it's yours.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

I'll never understand people who think a bad game is better at half price.

weird problem. some people like to try out bad games just to see what went wrong and wait until its not an embarrassing price to buy it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't believe anyone would be so desperate to have a game to play that they would spend money on Unity. I think games would get better if people would lose this mentality. Like if a game is total dogshit like Unity I wouldn't even play it for free. Why bother.

Yeah, there are cases where I think the price point is important, e.g. FF Type-0 should not have been a $60 game, but I still think it is worth playing. Unity is just a trainwreck, and acceptable at best - I could see it if it was the first game in a series and did a lot of things wrong, but at least was a new concept, but there are literally over 10 AC games out there and most of them are better than this one. Why ever waste your time on this pile of nothing, regardless of the cost?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
One man's trash is another man's treasure

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Evil Canadian posted:

Chromehounds was a beautiful unique beast and I don't think there will be anything ever like it again :(. Sal Kar Supremacy then, now, and forever.

Chromehounds was a really good idea badly mishandled.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VarXX posted:

One man's trash is another man's treasure

I totally agree with this. And if someone likes a game that's fine. I just mean, I see this a lot with gamers where the gamer genuinely feels a game is crap and/or is 100% certain it's not their thing but will still drop $$$ on it. I mean that's like Steam's entire business model.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Cozmosis posted:

I dunno, I tend to play all the AC games but wait until they hit $20. Just what I've done for the last, what, 4?
You obviously like the series if you keep playing them. Ask if the people waving you off feel the same. If you're in the mood for more of the same it's probably worth the $20 at this point. The worst of the technical problems have been patched out, as have the ridiculous dependencies on the mobile app and Initiates web site. What you're left with is a run of the mill Assassin's Creed game that has it's share of decent missions along with some spotty design decisions. Personally I thought it was a big step down from Black Flag but a little better than 3. It's entertaining enough to play through the story missions but not to 100%.

Also if you get through it quick Best Buy will currently take used copies for $17 .

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finished AC3 but stopped about a third of the way through Unity. 3 at least had the homestead thing and all the happy people there. I couldn't make myself care about anything happening in Unity, and I certainly didn't want to spend time grinding for non-lovely costume parts.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 22, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've been playing Unity off an on for a few weeks now. Bought it for 16 bucks off of gamedealsdaily.com. For that price, it was completely worth it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've heard Unity is way less busted than at launch and apparently they got rid of he whole "unlock this chest from an app" thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

I've heard Unity is way less busted than at launch and apparently they got rid of he whole "unlock this chest from an app" thing.
I thought the technical problems were very minor compared to the game design problems.

edit: but eh, maybe I'll give it another try today. I need something to carry through the last hours before Bloodborne.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought the technical problems were very minor compared to the game design problems.
Nah, the vast majority of complaints always were over lovely frame rates and glitchiness, and deservedly so. The gameplay can get janky at times as it has always done in AC games (:argh: GODDAMMIT ARNO GET OFF THE BARREL ALREADY oh that guy shot you dead never mind then), especially with the changes to combat and stealth mechanics, and there is a dumb microtransaction system (which you can ignore completely), but Unity's biggest problem was that it was a complete trainwreck from a technical standpoint.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got Unity for free and it was still disappointing.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I wish From would go full hog and have the next Souls game be about an ancient decaying future where the remnants of humanity restore and kill each other in ancient 20 story tall "cores". Ammunition is rare as gently caress so most of the combat is melee. Ring the bells Ninebreaker.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Real hurthling! posted:

weird problem. some people like to try out bad games just to see what went wrong and wait until its not an embarrassing price to buy it.

Yes, and as I said, I'll never understand that. I didn't say they shouldn't do it or they are idiots. Just that I don't think I'll ever be able to rationalize how that makes any sense. You want to do that, get Gamefly or something. Save some money.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unmature posted:

Games shouldn't have stories.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Even though it's just a preload, I'm a little giddy about today for Bloodborne.

Also that I'll be playing tomorrow night.

And with regard to Suspend/resume, I hope it works well. What a great feature for a game like Bloodborne when you're a dad of a young kid. :D

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

homeless snail posted:

Games shouldn't have stories.

They can have stories if they want but I shouldn't have to care or watch them play out and they should never sacrifice game for story

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah they went right after Microsoft at E3 2013 and just showed that out of nowhere as their DRM policy. It was amazing. :) I never thought I'd see Sony do something on par with their $299.99 mic drop at the original E3 but there it it PLUS they announced the price as $399.99 instead of MS's $499.99.
I still look back on that E3 moment with really fond memories. That was such a devastating ice-burn on Microsoft.

(of course, it was also a crossroads moment where some really bad policies were about to be put in place and thank goodness we staved that off at least for now)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think that if games want to make story a major focus then that is okay. They still have an obligation to be fun to play, so don't think i'm giving the Order 1886 a free pass or anything. But we've all been playing video games since around the time they were just a couple colors and some very large pixels. They didn't really have stories then, and games today are still not required to have a storyline of any kind.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

Yes, and as I said, I'll never understand that. I didn't say they shouldn't do it or they are idiots. Just that I don't think I'll ever be able to rationalize how that makes any sense. You want to do that, get Gamefly or something. Save some money.

buying for 20 and selling back for 10 is saving money???

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OxMan posted:

I wish From would go full hog and have the next Souls game be about an ancient decaying future where the remnants of humanity restore and kill each other in ancient 20 story tall "cores". Ammunition is rare as gently caress so most of the combat is melee. Ring the bells Ninebreaker.

I would buy Armored Souls in a heartbeat.

"Raven, you must leave the undead cybercity and fulfill the prophecy."

Feenix posted:

Even though it's just a preload, I'm a little giddy about today for Bloodborne.

Also that I'll be playing tomorrow night.

And with regard to Suspend/resume, I hope it works well. What a great feature for a game like Bloodborne when you're a dad of a young kid. :D

I am getting hyped as gently caress seeing the Bloodborne tile sitting on my PS4 already. Agh, but I can't play it just yet. Soon. Soon.

I'm going to be testing out the PS4's ability to record and share videos for the first time, as Bloodborne makes me actually care about doing so.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Unmature posted:

Is your favorite "game" Gone Home?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Green Puddin posted:

Is your favorite "game" Gone Home?

Variety is good. There should be games that are entirely story, and also games that have absolutely no story.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I used to want games to have good stories. But I've played a lot of games over the years and there are precious few that have a story that is objectively at least"Okay" when measured against any yardstick other than other, worse, videogame stories. Now my main criteria is that the story at least doesnt get in the way of the drat game. Beyond that, gently caress it, developers and writers can do what they like but the chances of them ending up with a videogame story that is more compelling or better told or a more thorough examination of the human condition than "Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?" is near zero. Just keep that poo poo from dragging the game down with long sections where the main character lowers his gun and slows his walking speed to a crawl with one finger in his ear while an exposition dump plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

story in games is secondary to Setting and Themeing imo. Create a world that's fun to be in and i will swallow your rote story without a problem.

• Locked thread