Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Gonzo McFee posted:

Y'all MMA guys are weird as gently caress.

Yeah after reading this thread I was like wow those MMA guys sure are weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

No, they won't even talk about opponents until summer.

They should just go to xplode mma and pick one of the many guys that are 0-15.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I was thinking those MMA guys are weird before I even read this thread.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It is really weird to see the mma posters get so riled up about the straight edge gimmick in the year 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lloyd Boner posted:

It is really weird to see the mma posters get so riled up about the straight edge gimmick in the year 2015

[citation needed]

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who was the best mma champion of all time and why was it Brock "The Shock" Lesnar?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Brock is still tied for most successful defenses of the UFC heavyweight title.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oldpainless posted:

Who was the best mma champion of all time and why was it Dan "The Beast" Severn?

The suplexes, the mustache, making up your own fighting system, no one can compete with Dan.

edit: I just watched that fight vs Anthony Macias, and it's hilarious watching Severn crawl all over Macias' back with almost no idea what to do next. It kind of looks like he's going for a full nelson hold? He then cranks the guy's neck a whole bunch and Macias realises, about forty seconds later than he should have, that he has no idea what he's going and taps. Talk about someone who can't swim.

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 22, 2015

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's Lyoto Machida and it's because he is crushing all competion in monkey hugs (outside of ring).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I guess the straight edge gimmick still works and it seems to work better outside of wrestling.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

uncleKitchener posted:

I guess the straight edge gimmick still works and it seems to work better outside of wrestling.
Also: not being huge and muscly

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He has puffy nipples.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

The Sphinxster posted:

It's Lyoto Machida and it's because he is crushing all competion in monkey hugs (outside of ring).

Punk could and should start chugging piss to achieve Brazilian greatness

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Also: not being huge and muscly

add 'not being Vince's wank material' and you got yourself a full description.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yuriy posted:

yea, that's true

i don't like him as a wrestler or a person because from the WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY and his attitude he seems like kind of a bitch and i think that while he's had some okay matches, he's sloppy and held to a lower standard because he fills that role of the anti-WWE guy that people could rally behind

ill acknowledge that he could cut a promo and that he was good with heyman/the pipebomb but thats entirely in a wrestling bubble and now that hes left it, i no longer have any reason to like the dude at all

He is the #1 or #2 U.S. worker of his generation, and he's had an excellent reputation among hardcore fans on an all-around level since 2003. He's more skilled and far more creative than most wrestlers. But even his biggest homer fans know he is full of himself and can be a poo poo. That's what it takes to be a carny and he has that in spades. He became popular with the general fandom by consistently being way better than the guys WWE would rather have pushed, and turning storylines meant to bury him into the best events on shows. They seriously spent the better part of five years trying to ignore or bury him for not being Vince McMahon's delusional ideal. He once got squashed by the Undertaker because he wore the wrong shirt to a press event that no one saw. Meanwhile, the guys that Vince or Triple H actually likes can do no wrong, even if they fail enough drug tests to get fired.

We all know that he is 36 and probably out of his depth even if he hadn't beat himself up for 15 years. Even Kurt Angle was smart enough to stay out of MMA when he was finally drummed out of WWE for being too insane. But everybody in wrestling wants to do MMA now because it has exploded and the wrestling business is way more lovely--even the payouts at the top level have reportedly gotten worse for people not named John Cena since they moved to a VoD service.

So for a wrestling fan, watching him go to UFC is cool because he's sticking it to the man, win or lose. It's not like a Brock Lesnar thing where his freakish physical ability exceeds the wrestling business (regardless of how he did in UFC), it's more of a moral support/narrative thing. Though Lesnar was also harassed by WWE's legal department when he broke their predatory contract system.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He is the #1 or #2 U.S. worker of his generation, and he's had an excellent reputation among hardcore fans on an all-around level since 2003. He's more skilled and far more creative than most wrestlers. But even his biggest homer fans know he is full of himself and can be a poo poo. That's what it takes to be a carny and he has that in spades. He became popular with the general fandom by consistently being way better than the guys WWE would rather have pushed, and turning storylines meant to bury him into the best events on shows. They seriously spent the better part of five years trying to ignore or bury him for not being Vince McMahon's delusional ideal. He once got squashed by the Undertaker because he wore the wrong shirt to a press event that no one saw. Meanwhile, the guys that Vince or Triple H actually likes can do no wrong, even if they fail enough drug tests to get fired.

We all know that he is 36 and probably out of his depth even if he hadn't beat himself up for 15 years. Even Kurt Angle was smart enough to stay out of MMA when he was finally drummed out of WWE for being too insane. But everybody in wrestling wants to do MMA now because it has exploded and the wrestling business is way more lovely--even the payouts at the top level have reportedly gotten worse for people not named John Cena since they moved to a VoD service.

So for a wrestling fan, watching him go to UFC is cool because he's sticking it to the man, win or lose. It's not like a Brock Lesnar thing where his freakish physical ability exceeds the wrestling business (regardless of how he did in UFC), it's more of a moral support/narrative thing. Though Lesnar was also harassed by WWE's legal department when he broke their predatory contract system.

this is legit the best explanation ive seen for cm punk fandom and i appreciate it even though i still think hes poo poo + preachy

good post man

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Brock's WWE contract literally said he could not work "anywhere else in the universe" which will never stop being funny.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Calling him creative isn't really fair because his entire style aside from being straight edge is just a grab bag of other better wrestlers (one of which is in NXT)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Byolante posted:

Calling him creative isn't really fair because his entire style aside from being straight edge is just a grab bag of other better wrestlers (one of which is in NXT)

That's like every wrestler who watched other wrestlers ever. Or any western wrestlers that watched AAA and NJPW.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Punk had creative promos, always tried to make the best of his position and characters and was a lot better at it than most people. That's a part of being creative as a wrestler.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Byolante posted:

It's not that he has a unique style. Every wrestler is cribbing in part or wholesale from another. He does MMA-ish/Japanese strike-based stuff for the most part, and he's very good at it.

It's that they put him in a lot of angles designed to get another guy over at his expense, and because of his promo work and general ability to have a good match with anyone, he would make it work and his popularity would only grow. His big matches would often have innovative elements to them where most WWE matches are very formulaic in how they are laid out, and he would elevate pretty lame storylines by finding a unique way to sell them to audiences. He would consistently become more popular even while losing all the time, which is very difficult.

That interview he did with Colt Cabana in December where he ran down exactly why he left the company is interesting (and on Youtube), but if you hate him personally now it will not improve your opinion.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Punk was creative as gently caress, from ROH, the raven stuff, the summer of punk tour, the straight edge society, the pipebomb etc.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Punk is great and seems to genuinely want to be in ufc to try a new thing in his life. Hes jaded and whines a lot but honestly after all the poo poo in wwe thats to be expected. I get people saying "hes gonna get killed" and all but going off about his gimmick and his look is just hilarious

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Punk is ok and I respect the fact that he's a talented wrestler but alot of his fans overlook the fact that he's one of the biggest whiners on earth. It's pretty incredible how much he can bitch about a company that made him a millionaire and I wouldn't be surprised if exaggerated a large portion of his Colt Cabana interview.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ty1990 posted:

Punk is ok and I respect the fact that he's a talented wrestler but alot of his fans overlook the fact that he's one of the biggest whiners on earth. It's pretty incredible how much he can bitch about a company that made him a millionaire and I wouldn't be surprised if exaggerated a large portion of his Colt Cabana interview.

Whatever your opinion of Punk is, listen to everyone else who has left the company recently and has been willing and/or legally able to talk. They seem like a pretty dysfunctional company to work for right now and Meltzer has been saying for quite some time that current locker room morale is very low.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ty1990 posted:

You don't get how employer/ employee relationships work, do you?

Punk made the WWE far more than than they paid him. Thats capitalism.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
...yeah. I agree he can be whiny but i don't think he's been unfair to wwe, nor have they treated him well. Sure he earned (by sacrificing his body) a lot of money but as the poster above me said, he'd have made them a tonne of cash too. If things worked properly, they'd both be making each other ridiculous amounts of money but no, WWE, Vince and Hunter are far too immature to do that.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

You don't get how employer/ employee relationships work, do you?

Punk made the WWE far more than than they paid him. Thats capitalism.

Clearly Punk helped them out alot too. I wasn't trying to say the WWE made him who he is or whatever, but there wasn't another company he would have made 7 figures annually to wrestle (you can't make that in Japan can you? I know you can do well there but I'm not exactly sure how well)

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

Punk got shafted out of way more than he ever made. He was a total star and they deliberately hampered him. Not even just in their company but with advertisers, other companies, his own health, on and on. He put up with obvious bullshit for years and he should be thankful?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Punk seems like the type of guy who is you were in charge and said "Hey, how are you doing, any problems going on, everything OK?" he would just mumble 'yea, I am fine" and walk away, then tell other people "They had me wrestling with a broken leg, concussion, cancer, and MRSA and they loving knew it! What assholes"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ty1990 posted:

Clearly Punk helped them out alot too. I wasn't trying to say the WWE made him who he is or whatever, but there wasn't another company he would have made 7 figures annually to wrestle (you can't make that in Japan can you? I know you can do well there but I'm not exactly sure how well)

That's still no reason to be thankful. WWE needs stars to make them money to make them able to pay seven figures and Punk made himself a far bigger star than WWE wanted him to be.

Ribsauce posted:

Punk seems like the type of guy who is you were in charge and said "Hey, how are you doing, any problems going on, everything OK?" he would just mumble 'yea, I am fine" and walk away, then tell other people "They had me wrestling with a broken leg, concussion, cancer, and MRSA and they loving knew it! What assholes"

Well you'd be wrong, Punk's never been known to keep his opinions to himself.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What I mean is when you ask him directly, he will say he is fine, then tell other people you KNEW this and KNEW that and did not do anything.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

What I mean is when you ask him directly, he will say he is fine, then tell other people you KNEW this and KNEW that and did not do anything.
Hmmm. So passive aggressive? Like the kind of guy to fire someone out of nowhere on their wedding day for example

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

lol

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ribsauce posted:

Where do you get that? He's a constant complainer seemingly.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Hmmm. So passive aggressive? Like the kind of guy to fire someone out of nowhere on their wedding day for example

There is nothing passive about vince's aggression

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Byolante posted:

I dunno. He does a lot of snide stuff to send messages to people. The RTC for example.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Byolante posted:

Vince was so sad to see Punk go though. Crying and all

He was so sorry...... SORRY HE DIDNT DO IT EARLIER

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Vincent is the most passive aggressive man in wrestling. Perhaps the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
^^^ pettiness is not passive aggression

ICHIBAHN posted:

I dunno. He does a lot of snide stuff to send messages to people. The RTC for example.

Doing the live national tv equivalent of burning your opponent in effigy is not very passive

• Locked thread