Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Characters being able to play defensively is a good thing. I like Melee but one reason I don't really play it anymore is because there's no viable defensive character (or really even a viable heavyweight character) and that's how I generally like playing. But the threat of playing defensive is that you get blown the gently caress up when you mess up your defense and get rushed down properly, and that isn't really there in Smash 4 for much of the cast. Diddy, Luigi, and Sheik have pretty decent punish games but most characters just sorta anemically hit you for 7-10% and send you too far away to actually combo or put you in a disadvantageous position like a knockdown, but not far enough away to put you at risk of dying. The rewards for breaking through someone's defenses need to be universally improved, and then defensive play will become that much more interesting to both play and spectate. It's not just projectiles, stuff like Rosalina's insanely safe, huge hitboxes are just a more midrange defensive style, but because of how Luma functions (can break grabs and just hit you if you already hit Rosalina) you just have to play defensive yourself much of the time, especially if you didn't pick one of the aforementioned characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Luma has had a ton of nerfs and it's not that easy to reliably get luma to break you out of grabs anymore, I'm pretty sure Luma will just ignore the C-stick most of the time. I also feel like Rosaluma was trying to be what the ice climbers were supposed to be a pair with a good balance between the two and more zone control at the risk of getting neutered for a while.

e: Then again I'm biased because I main Luma and Olimar.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Anyone else hate Rosalina because she killed any chance of Daisy being in anything besides maybe Mario Kart/Party?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

No that's just petty and ridiculous.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I am indifferent towards Rosalina but vaguely disturbed by how gigantic she is compared to every other character and her crouch animation.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dizz posted:

Anyone else hate Rosalina because she killed any chance of Daisy being in anything besides maybe Mario Kart/Party?

Daisy is never going to be in anything. She is a nothing character, created solely to fill in as another female character in the various mario sports games.

Waluigi has been in more non sports games than she has. I don't even think she has a personality quirk beyond 'I"M DAISY'

And her design is literally brunette Peach in a yellow dress so there's nothing about her design that's unique or notable in any way.

So, what the ever loving gently caress do you think she brings to the table?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheKingofSprings posted:

I hope they take note of how people play in For Glory and use that to improve the game

:cawg:

Countblanc posted:

Characters being able to play defensively is a good thing.

It is, but when EVERY character benefits from being defensive and being in an offensive position always puts you at risk you get slow and boring gameplay especially at the high level.

Countblanc posted:

I like Melee but one reason I don't really play it anymore is because there's no viable defensive character

Peach and Samus.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Daisy should have been a named Peach alt color like Alph, but that's about all she deserves.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Daisy's bad

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waluigi and Daisy are both garbage sorry thread.

I mean waluigi's fine if you laugh at all his ~hilarious~ memes or "remember the time he did that crotch chop??? Hilarious!" but he's just as nothing really.

Also Daisy's design is a lot different compared to that of Rosalina's this day. Now her face looks like she's been stung by bees and she has this soulless killer vibe going on.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 22, 2015

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

This disrespect for Daisy is disgusting. Daisy is your friend and really wants you to know that her name is Daisy.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Waluigi and Daisy are both garbage sorry thread.

I mean waluigi's fine if you laugh at all his ~hilarious~ memes or "remember the time he did that crotch chop??? Hilarious!" but he's just as nothing really.

He's Nintendo's Dick Dastardly and that's why we love him

Dizz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s_XVdA1PZA

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Instead of fixing defensive game just change how tournaments are played to accommodate it: one stock, three minute timer. You're forced to act quickly. All draws result in a double-elimination.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Little Mac posted:

Instead of fixing defensive game just change how tournaments are played to accommodate it: one stock, three minute timer. You're forced to act quickly. All draws result in a double-elimination.

Except most of the people complaining are talking about it beyond just tournaments.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just give me the ability to pick some options in For Glory 1v1. Like alternate level choices, or stock vs. time, or w/e, as long as it's item-free.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'd have literally twice as much fun with smash 4 if they'd included a mode where you pick a different character for each stock. Unfortunately it will never ever happen until we get a new project m...

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Polo-Rican posted:

I'd have literally twice as much fun with smash 4 if they'd included a mode where you pick a different character for each stock.

Play Project....

Polo-Rican posted:

Unfortunately it will never ever happen until we get a new project m...

Oh. Carry on.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It's hard going back to M after 4 on Wii U... So blurry, so ugly, so desaturated, no villager...

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Also Project M is not as good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Little Mac posted:

Also Project M is not as good.

Are we talking bells and whistles or mechanically

E: because one has the advantage of 7 extra years and the other isn't even close to true

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: because one has the advantage of 7 extra years and the other isn't even close to true

Both. I'm not a pro player or anything but having played hours and hours of both version I think Smash 4 is just altogether a more fun game to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Little Mac posted:

Both. I'm not a pro player or anything but having played hours and hours of both version I think Smash 4 is just altogether a more fun game to play.

Do you play much online

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Theta Zero posted:

I am indifferent towards Rosalina but vaguely disturbed by how gigantic she is compared to every other character and her crouch animation.

Yea whats up with that crouch animation! why is it so cool

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you play much online

Yeah! Just not For Glory.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Maybe that's a clue.. maybe we have to have timed matches only and instead of ranking people off wins we should rank them off kills... it's a whole new world

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well Project M doesn't have Bowser Jr + Koopalings and Duck Hunt for starters :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Well Project M doesn't have Bowser Jr + Koopalings and Duck Hunt for starters :colbert:

No but it has an alternate costume for more or less every character and Snake is the proto Duck Hunt

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

No but it has an alternate costume for more or less every character and Snake is the proto Duck Hunt
"Proto" just means "wears sunglasses."

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Theta Zero posted:

Rosalina is a terrifying monster.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TheKingofSprings posted:

Snake is the proto Villager, more like.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Snake is the proto Villager, more like.

He's both, villager evolved from him because Snake's defense was higher than his attack

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Zore posted:

Daisy is never going to be in anything. She is a nothing character, created solely to fill in as another female character in the various mario sports games.

Waluigi has been in more non sports games than she has. I don't even think she has a personality quirk beyond 'I"M DAISY'

And her design is literally brunette Peach in a yellow dress so there's nothing about her design that's unique or notable in any way.

So, what the ever loving gently caress do you think she brings to the table?

I swore that Nintendo had Daisy as a tomboy who can most of the time handle herself more than peach can. Sounds like she could have her own games instead of stuff like Super princess Peach.

For god sakes they put TWO loving toads in NSMB :negative:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Little Mac posted:

This would make the rage mechanic even more annoying.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Daisy is the Sports Princess and her strength and endurance should be feared.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Polo-Rican posted:

It's hard going back to M after 4 on Wii U... So blurry, so ugly, so desaturated, no villager...

Play on Dolphin and your resolution issues are gone and it looks drat beautiful in HD, can't help with the Villager though. :(

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

p:m will always look terrible because brawl always looked terrible

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharrrk posted:

p:m will always look terrible because brawl always looked terrible

this is at least partially due to the Wii being a toaster

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Brawl's art design was weird, kind of desaturated and overly detailed. Melee went for a strange realistic take on things and it kind of worked but then Brawl pushed it too far.

Really glad 4 went more stylized and colorful

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's also partly Snake's fault, for how everyone looked really fine-textured and subdued to keep him from standing out too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reiley posted:

It's also partly Snake's fault, for how everyone looked really fine-textured and subdued to keep him from standing out too much.

Snake was one of the best things about Brawl and we are all worse off for his passing

• Locked thread