Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I blame pizza for these shapely hips and thighs.

And on the topic of rink-chat: The place where I do my late night Wednesday night pub skate literally has a ~2" gap near the bottom dashers running along the entirety of one corner that's easily a blade and ½ a holder deep. It is basically the ankle/knee destruction zone if you're not careful.

Still, though:

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Yerba Buena had a big refrigerant fail that made a big chunk (maybe 1/5) of the rink unusable and went on for weeks. I was doing figure skating lessons at the time so I can't say how the hockey league handled it, but I would've been pissed to play under those conditions.

Chemmy posted:

A guy blocked a shot up into a sprinkler head in a game I played in. In like ten seconds that huge spray of water melted everything inside the blue line.

Sheet of ice was down for almost a week I think.

Best part was it was against our rivals and we had just scored to make it 2-1. They called the game because of the sprinkler thing and we got the W.

calandryll posted:

Well I guess I can't bitch about the ice conditions at my rink then. I don't think it's ever been to the concrete. But the area right in front of the doors for the zam is hilly. It's really strange to go from flat ice to up and down.
:stonklol: ...I'm glad it's not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You guys have any tips for catching passes?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

prom candy posted:

You guys have any tips for catching passes?

Focus on pulling your stick back with the puck so it slows and stops on your stick instead of bouncing off it. Even if you only pull back a little you can usually get it to bounce off your stick and right in front of you. You've probably been told that already but I can't stress enough how much it'll help you catch passes and be able to keep moving

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Vicas posted:

Focus on pulling your stick back with the puck so it slows and stops on your stick instead of bouncing off it. Even if you only pull back a little you can usually get it to bounce off your stick and right in front of you. You've probably been told that already but I can't stress enough how much it'll help you catch passes and be able to keep moving

Also, you want to roll the blade so it's kind of cupping the puck against the ice as you draw the stick back, don't let the stick rotate open so that the puck just surfs right over it. I am horrible at this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Always try to catch the puck with your stick between you and the guy who passed it to you. Most coaches I've worked with describe this as keeping your stick in front of you, but that's not always what you actually do. Hands away from your body, blade of the stick open to the puck.

Basically you want to be able to cushion the puck as it arrives, like everyone else is saying. It'll keep the puck from bouncing off and going somewhere even harder to reach.

If the puck is coming at your feet the important part is keeping the blade flat on the ice. This means dropping your low hand on the stick and couching to adjust.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Move your hand lower on the stick when you're receiving the pass until you're comfortable. It'll affect your immediate stick handling but can help with the reception. Don't grip too hard (this is true for everything). Also everyone else is right.

And Hockles is shameful for not getting tacklas but the vapors look kinda cool.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Holy poo poo they still make all black Tuuks...

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:catstare:

hnngggggg must resist impulse new skate purchase

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
They're sexy but 850 bucks is pretty easy to resist.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nitramster posted:

but i haven't bought new skates in 8 years
they're so light compared to my vapour 8s
i bet they last a long time
composite fibres will protect my delicate feets
i can heat form them to my foot contours
i've spent more than that on sticks and tape since my last pair
they look cool

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doesn't hockeymonkey have all black supreme 160s for a whole hell of a lot less? Yep. 199 and 150 for the vapor x60s.

Everyone join me on the all black skate side

Nitramster posted:

A: how well do you know acethomas
B: are you in to play drop in this week if I can get you a spot or are you still crying?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 21, 2015

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
About a month ago I was introduced to "that guy" in our clinic/scrimmage. The guy who spends all his time practicing slap shots and none of his time practicing skating.

The goalie left the puck behind the net, I was on D so I collected it and was standing about a foot to the left of the goal checking who I was going to pass it to. This guy straight up runs me into the net, in a no contact scrimmage for beginners. To make it worse he was on my team.

He offers a lame apology and then shifts the blame because he thought I was going to leave the puck for him. I still have no idea why he thought that, nor what his plan was... apparently stopping wasn't a part of it.

Come to think of it maybe he can't stop... would explain the below.

Today we met again, I was playing D again, he was a forward (how else could he let off his sick slappers?) he was battling another guy and got whistled for an offiside. I had just crossed the blue line (not a great D man...) and stopped. He not only hits me, but drops to the ice and slides in to take my legs out.

I stood up, tried to put weight on my left leg and got a shooting pain in my back. So after sitting on the bench for 15 minutes hoping it was temporary I called it a night and went home. It still hurts, so if you have advice for remedying back pain please give it to me.

No call or anything... I think the guys who run the game put a lot of it down to "they're beginners, and beginners fall/gently caress-up a lot"

I am not a fan of this person.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

sellouts posted:

My black tuuks are about to crack all the way through and no one has black custom+ holders any more. Life is hard.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can dye them, I think Total Hockey will dye you a pair of skate runners to whatever you want. If you can find some white Custom+s it's probably worth a try.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lose some weight, fatty.

That's why I play hockey! I used to be 324 but down to 195-200. The other issue is I'm also right between the height sizes as well, 6'2". So the large is a bit too short and the XL is a bit too long. I just need to sit down at a decent shop, there are barely none in the state of Delaware, and try a bunch of pants on.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 21, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xryokus posted:

Back pain

Muscle relaxers and ibuprofen. Stay moving because when you lie down your muscles tighten and that's when it hurts. If you keep moving your back will stay loose. Eventually try some stretches but more importantly stay of the ice for a while

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Some pants are made with longs, give those a look.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Chemmy posted:

You can dye them, I think Total Hockey will dye you a pair of skate runners to whatever you want. If you can find some white Custom+s it's probably worth a try.

Pink runners incoming.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

calandryll posted:

That's why I play hockey! I used to be 324 but down to 195-200. The other issue is I'm also right between the height sizes as well, 6'2". So the large is a bit too short and the XL is a bit too long. I just need to sit down at a decent shop, there are barely none in the state of Delaware, and try a bunch of pants on.

No you don't. Just go with a girdle & shell. Lighter, more mobile, way better sizing because you can customize them to your exact specs and you can match your shells to your jersey if you want.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There are girdles that adjust for length?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

Just go for full-length roller pants and be That Guy.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

sellouts posted:

Yes, a few of them (RBK and Warrior for sure) have adjustable length thigh pads

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

Doesn't hockeymonkey have all black supreme 160s for a whole hell of a lot less? Yep. 199 and 150 for the vapor x60s.

A: how well do you know acethomas
B: are you in to play drop in this week if I can get you a spot or are you still crying?

All black skates are awesome, maybe in 5 years when I can afford things again I'll get some

A: bros since middle school
B: absolutely

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My thigh pads are adjustable too, if I unpeel the duct tape I can completely remove them. I guess I could trim them down if I wanted, but I don't.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Forgot to also mention that the RBK (9k girdle at least) also has a few buttons and a zipper up by the hip that you can un-do and that gives the pants an extra inch or two of length.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's awesome. Definitely not the case with all of them but good to know the ones that can.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

sellouts posted:

That's awesome. Definitely not the case with all of them but good to know the ones that can.

16 18 and 20k too. I got a pair of 16s off hockey monkey for super cheap, since Rbk is becoming CCM.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I bought a girdle and gave it away for free, I prefer the feel of hockey pants.

The girdle felt more mobile, but I felt more exposed.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Chemmy posted:

I bought a girdle and gave it away for free, I prefer the feel of hockey pants.

The girdle felt more mobile, but I felt more exposed.

I bet it would've for me perfectly... We already have the same size feet...

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Just go for full-length roller pants and be That Guy.

yessssss cooperalls are the best/worst/best

edit: the flyers had little Ps on their ankles too for the full package.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 22, 2015

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Second week in a row at Defense and I'm apparently way better at it than I am on wing.

No crazy blocks, but I got a clean goal from the top part of the right circle with practically every skater on their rear end in front of the net. I'm not even sure how the puck made it out to me, but I approached the puck already squared up and half slapped it in to the far post. xzzy saw it from the bench, I believe.

Girlfriend also said my passing was extremely on point.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Do they do bumblebee??

calandryll posted:

That was a jokepost, but congrats on the killer weight loss so far! I highly recommend Tacklas!

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
So I've always been way less confident on my left skate than my right. I thought it was because I was a pretty terrible skater (and you know, I am) but it ALSO turns out that my left skate has been bent slightly and that's been loving me up. Got that fixed and it's made a WORLD of difference.

So my advice to you if you're way more confident on one foot than the other is, make sure your skates aren't hosed.

(Also never buy skates from Hockey X in Oakland)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How did they fix it?

Any before/after pics?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitra and Acethomas, I added you to Tuesday night sub list. You're numbers 3 and 4. I think they're also adding you to the weekly disto list. Emails go out Sunday morning and is usually full 90 min later (but they take and use subs regularly).

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That was a jokepost, but congrats on the killer weight loss so far! I highly recommend Tacklas!

Thanks. One of my teammates lost about the same amount of weight in the last year. He started off with 3X pants and down to the M. Hockey is a pretty awesome workout. There was a guy that had a handful of Tacklas that he was selling for about 20-30 a pair. Wished I thought about trying some on to buy a pair.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Ahahahaha, we actually beat the first place team in the semifinals, whose goalie usually plays 3 divisions up. We're going to the finals as the house team, which basically never happens. God, what a game

I also took a shot to the inside of my foot that was hard enough that it started bleeding. Giving that a little elevation and ice tonight, because the finals are Tuesday, woo

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

Nitra and Acethomas, I added you to Tuesday night sub list. You're numbers 3 and 4. I think they're also adding you to the weekly disto list. Emails go out Sunday morning and is usually full 90 min later (but they take and use subs regularly).

Thanks for the effort bro. What time is it? We just got done with our game, a 6-2 stomping. I had a goal and an assist, but the scorekeeper probably gave them to the guy they usually give mine to, even though he didn't show up today.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Thanks for the effort bro. What time is it? We just got done with our game, a 6-2 stomping. I had a goal and an assist, but the scorekeeper probably gave them to the guy they usually give mine to, even though he didn't show up today.

940-1120ish. 25 bucks.

And don't hate on Jose. He writes down what the officials tell him and he's good to have on your side. Dude knows a ton of players if you ever need any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I re-tape my stick way too much. Probably the most on my team. I put a strip of tape on the top and bottom, and then I tape starting an inch from the heel until an inch from the toe. I do this about every 3-5 skates. I've noticed that I continue to get tears on the back side of the stick, and I have no idea why this happens.