Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KKKLIP ART posted:

I would be down with this. It would be kind of neat to see how things turn out with something a little more silly. We should only do it if a team can be so bad that they get into the negatives though.

Clearly. For instance, simply counting defensive touchdowns as negative points for the offense would have resulted in last year's GT/Clemson score being 16 to -6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raku posted:

Field goals should be worth a point for every ten yard increment.

Missed field goals should be -2 points.

This is the NFL, but the Colts had a proposition where you could kick a 50 yard field goal if you made a two point conversion.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Would this hypothetical defensive touchdown only take points away from the team that lost the ball (which is already bad enough) or would it also give some points to the team that scored the defensive touchdown?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Would this hypothetical defensive touchdown only take points away from the team that lost the ball (which is already bad enough) or would it also give some points to the team that scored the defensive touchdown?

Hmm. I think it should just be negative points. It would affect the point differential the same way, but not punish the defense by skewing PPG.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I like how boredom in the offseason results in stuff like this on a good forum. We did some fun stuff over the years(Adopt A Mid-Major, ran our own poll, etc) and this could be fun at least for awhile.

I'd do scores for the Coastal, the P5's most laughably bad conference. Also with how VT plays defensively and occasionally offensively there's probably going to be some ridiculous scores. For instance, I think VT beat GT 37 to -14 one year thanks to the magic of Reggie Ball.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

6-4 becomes 2-0

Iowa kicks two field goals to win 2-0 is almost too confusing to conceptualize.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

2014 UF-Mizzou would've ended 28 to (-1), which would've been an incredibly accurate reflection of the events of that game.

Mizzou had 28 offensive points, and 14 off a pick-6 and fumble-6 (1 min apart!!). UF picked up 13pts in garbage time after Driskel was dropped through the malcontent door.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The UCLA vs Notre Dame game in 2007 would have ended 13 to -1, which is a much more appropriately funny score than the 20-6 final it actually was.

e: Just remembered about this one: UCLA vs Virginia last year.

28-20 would've instead been 7 to -1, thanks to two pick sixes and a fumble six.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 22, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In 2013, Penn State would have lost in regulation to Michigan, instead of winning in 4OT.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

C2C - 2.0 posted:

We should collectively agree on an alternate scoring system that includes point deductions/increases, then run a season-long thread posting final scores for all games.

I will score for the big ten west and PAC 12 north. It will give me something to do to laugh at my pathetic purple teams (90% chance I'm moving to Seattle in the fall so I'm going to adopt Washington as my secondary team and I've heard nothing but sad things in this thread about them)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Points off turnovers (ie scores in the ensuing possession after a turnover) rather than turnovers that end in a score can count half for the offense and half for the defense, so that one team goes up 3 and 1.5 for TD's and Field Goals and the other team goes down. That gives you fractional points!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Negative points would actually gently caress up the PPG for defenses and offenses just as much as they currently do. It would just swing it the opposite direction.

Currently if Team A gives up a pick six to Team B, and then responds on the next drive with a score you have:
Team A: 7 points
Team B: 7 points

And both teams PPG is 7 on both offense and defense

If you go to negative points for defensive scores and the same scenario happens you have:
Team A: 0 points
Team B: 0 points

And both teams PPG is 0 on both offense and defense.

I still think it would be cool to do negative points for defensive scores. It just wouldn't have the stats impact you'd expect it to.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thoguh posted:

Negative points would actually gently caress up the PPG for defenses and offenses just as much as they currently do. It would just swing it the opposite direction.

Currently if Team A gives up a pick six to Team B, and then responds on the next drive with a score you have:
Team A: 7 points
Team B: 7 points

And both teams PPG is 7 on both offense and defense

If you go to negative points for defensive scores and the same scenario happens you have:
Team A: 0 points
Team B: 0 points

And both teams PPG is 0 on both offense and defense.

I still think it would be cool to do negative points for defensive scores. It just wouldn't have the stats impact you'd expect it to.

7-7 is the same as 0-0, and the offense is given zero points because it has netted zero total points.

The defense gave up zero points in scenario 1, but appear to be responsible for 7 points.

In scenario 2, the offense is indeed responsible for zero points, as is the defense. It's a better representation.

________

This is similar in spirit to the sack loss yardage. It drives me crazy it counts against rushing totals in CFB. I prefer the NFL model where it is deducted from passing yardage because it seems more accurate. It wasn't a rushing yard loss because they weren't attempting to rush.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 22, 2015

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

LeeMajors posted:

This is similar in spirit to the sack loss yardage. It drives me crazy it counts against rushing totals in CFB. I prefer the NFL model where it is deducted from passing yardage because it seems more accurate. It wasn't a rushing yard loss because they weren't attempting to rush.

- a man who has never seen Maty Mauk under pressure

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Hell if you gain yards, it should be under rushing yards. If you're sacked on a passing attempt it should be deducted from passing yards.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I disagree. The pass hasn't happened until the throwing motion begins. That's the threshold for pass attempt versus fumble, so it should logically be the threshold for "passing play" versus "rushing play" and how the yardage is recorded.

How do you decide if its a pass attempt or a rush? At what point does it turn from pass attempt to rush attempt? Is a scrambling QB passing? A draw? How do you handle the option?

Sash! fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 22, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

I disagree. The pass hasn't happened until the throwing motion begins. That's the threshold for pass attempt versus fumble, so it should logically be the threshold for "passing play" versus "rushing play" and how the yardage is recorded.

How do you decide if its a pass attempt or a rush? At what point does it turn from pass attempt to rush attempt? Is a scrambling QB passing? A draw? How do you handle the option?

Yeah, the lines have certainly been blurred with read-option or packaged plays. The NFL doesn't seem to have such a problem determining pass attempt vs. rush attempt. I think if the QB is tackled behind the line of scrimmage it should be considered a sack unless it's an obvious run play (QB draw, option, whatever). It would definitely be scorekeeper discretion.

Scorekeepers decide plays with much finer distinctions than this one.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Anyone have any interesting spring practice news?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

Lol I remember the year before when he had an amazing game against UF and everyone thought he was the second coming of Christ

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

pillsburysoldier posted:

Coach D said that spring practice is about training individual player skills, and when asked what they were working on said "I don't know, I was calling the defense and didn't have time to pay attention"

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Sash! posted:

I haven't reffed in years so I'll defer to one of the guys that is still reffing, but from what I remember every play starts as a running play until a pass is thrown. At that point everything previous to that point becomes a passing play, while everything after the catch is a running play.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech's stadium is not available because the seating is being replaced, so they have declared the Midland scrimmage (3rd year of an off campus scrimmage in a donor hotbed) to be this year's official spring game.

Other than that, the spring practices have been extremely closed, so there has been pretty much nothing at all coming out. Webb's been throwing, which is good considering he's coming off surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. Mahomes has only missed one practice due to baseball, and won't miss another (since he doesn't have the control and speed to be an effective pitcher and is not good enough a hitter to crack the rotation as a freshman).

The defensive line is getting some actual coaching with their new DL Coach, Mike Smith. Some of the few quotes to come out of practice have included one about the DL finally learning technique. The defense itself is learning a new look, but no telling how that's going to turn out until the 3rd week of the season.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

7-7 is the same as 0-0, and the offense is given zero points because it has netted zero total points.

The defense gave up zero points in scenario 1, but appear to be responsible for 7 points.

In scenario 2, the offense is indeed responsible for zero points, as is the defense. It's a better representation.

________

Fair enough. If you're looking at net points that works.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

vyst posted:

Lol I remember the year before when he had an amazing game against UF and everyone thought he was the second coming of Christ

Even when he has good games he refuses to ever throw the ball away and it gets really funny

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

Other than what I posted a few days ago not much. UGA had practice #3 yesterday, but I haven't seen anything on the SBNation blog or the pay site frontpages. I feel like they are keeping the media out especially now that we have a new OC, so don't want to give anyone ideas of what they are coaching up. Who knows,. Only thing I saw was that defensive players feel great this year after having a full year under Pruitt. Guy is a wizard and I only expect to have him for a few more seasons before someone scoops him up to be a head coach somewhere.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

Seth Russell is basically guaranteed to be Baylor's next starting QB and Art Briles intends to feature plays that put a 410 pound man in the slot. That's basically it for concrete stuff out of Baylor's Spring. Less concretely the secondary actually looked like it was improving a good deal at Baylor's Spring Game, doing a pretty good job at staying with everyone not named KD Cannon or Corey Coleman and getting a couple of ints and breakups without drawing any flags. Chris Platt and Ishmael Zamora might be the new names to watch at WR. Zamora's very big and very physical, drawing some Josh Gordon comps, while Platt is very very very fast ala Tevin Reese. O-line depth might be a problem if people get injured, but the first team O-line looked very very good.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 22, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Other than what I posted a few days ago not much. UGA had practice #3 yesterday, but I haven't seen anything on the SBNation blog or the pay site frontpages. I feel like they are keeping the media out especially now that we have a new OC, so don't want to give anyone ideas of what they are coaching up. Who knows,. Only thing I saw was that defensive players feel great this year after having a full year under Pruitt. Guy is a wizard and I only expect to have him for a few more seasons before someone scoops him up to be a head coach somewhere.

Also Richt hasn't picked a QB yet so in esteemed Georgia tradition it'll be whoever comes in second in the Spring Game.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Minnesota is gonna torch everybody

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Make sure you get TCU while you're at it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Also Richt hasn't picked a QB yet so in esteemed Georgia tradition it'll be whoever comes in second in the Spring Game.

Honestly I bet it is either Ramsey or Park. I don't know that Shotty/Richt will run an option-ish enough offense to really take advantage of Bauta's legs. Its funny though, the only think I hear about Ramsey is that he has a big arm, but not a lot of playbook knowledge and everything I hear about Park is that he was crazy great in his roll for the practice squad and took to the playbook really well, and had a big arm. IDK.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Iowa state is gonna get torched by everybody.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Honestly I bet it is either Ramsey or Park. I don't know that Shotty/Richt will run an option-ish enough offense to really take advantage of Bauta's legs. Its funny though, the only think I hear about Ramsey is that he has a big arm, but not a lot of playbook knowledge and everything I hear about Park is that he was crazy great in his roll for the practice squad and took to the playbook really well, and had a big arm. IDK.

I'd expect Ramsey considering there's still plenty of time to learn a brand new playbook and he's a bit better overall, while Bauta would make a great H-back if they wanted to play around with that. G-Day will be really interesting.

You going?

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 22, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'd expect Ramsey considering there's still plenty of time to learn a brand new playbook and he's a bit better overall, while Bauta would make a great H-back if they wanted to play around with that. G-Day will be really interesting.

You going?

I was to begin with, but I am actually going up to NC because my wife is running a half marathon with her sister, so I'll be out of town. Probably plenty of time to watch it on my phone while waiting for the race to finish though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State going to torch maybe three teams and then blindly stagger to an 8-5 season.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sash! posted:

Penn State going to torch maybe three teams and then blindly stagger to an 8-5 season.

The absolute horror of going 8-5.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thoguh posted:

The absolute horror of going 8-5.

PSU hasn't won eight games for two straight seasons. Shameful.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sash! posted:

PSU hasn't won eight games for two straight seasons. Shameful.

ISU hasn't won 8 games in two season.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor gonna go undefeated. For realsies this time.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Thoguh posted:

Iowa state is gonna get torched by everybody.

I know a guy who goes to Iowa State. He's a barely functioning alcoholic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I know a guy who goes to Iowa State. He's a barely functioning alcoholic.

couldn't this be like any college student, especially any college football fan?

• Locked thread