Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Poque posted:

I love how terrible Dan is. "I'm sorry I made you feel like poo poo, but let's be honest, you are poo poo"

great job

lol, the dude couldn't be more perfect of a goat if he had horns and hooves. I think he'd be constitutionally incapable of getting through final tribal and all the jury's questions without blowing up and pissing people off even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Met posted:

...and his voice. :allears:

This is me, with Jenn :kimchi:

savinhill posted:

lol, the dude couldn't be more perfect of a goat if he had horns and hooves. I think he'd be constitutionally incapable of getting through final tribal and all the jury's questions without blowing up and pissing people off even more.

Well, he's already got the beard.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Dan reminds me of the 47 year-old man who used to play D&D with me and my (in our 20's) college friends. He would constantly pull that "I've been around more years than you, so I know how to talk to the ladies...." and we would all share the same glance while none of us had the heart to point out that he was still single in his late 40's.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Listening to Lindsey's exit interview on RHAP she sticks up for Dan. Says he's a "gentleman, great husband, and great guy" and that she thinks he's just insecure and is always playing to the camera and trying to fit in, so around Rodney and Mike he just started feeding into the anti-woman stuff for the cameras and the guys. The heart of her whole interview is basically "Yeah, I should have kept my mouth shut but that's not me and at least I went home without anything I had to explain to my family because i was just me." Dan, she says, was a completely different person to be around than what she and her family are seeing on TV. Says he was annoying but overall really a pleasant and nice guy who actually helped make life around camp easier and more pleasant. She just thinks he's doing it all for the cameras and its exactly what she didn't want to have to do, to have to explain to her family why she was acting like someone else on TV.

Overall she came off really pleasant, kind of self aware, and reasonable. I think if she hadn't been on a small tribe with Rodney and Mike she might have survived a lot longer. Then again someone like Max, Vince, Sirin, or Joaquin might have pissed her off and made her blow so who knows?

The Max interview was less enjoyable. Rob always likes these "know it all" players and sticked up a lot for him so he pretty much let Max just give a Survivor 101 lecture justifying his game.
- Max claims he knew he was going home by watching "the number of pen strokes Carolyn made voting."
- Says he didn't really pick up on Carolyn's disdain because she has "RBF". Says Carolyn didn't trust him because she "didn't understand" him using her as a pawn in the first vote.
- Says he played low key on the merged tribe and let Sirin take the wheel because as the tall, white, male he didn't want to "be the man ordering everyone around."
- Doesn't know if the naked stuff actually bothered anyone because he never got anything but "chuckles." Also claims the nudity thing started because he was "taking an aquadump" and when he got out of the water the producers asked him to do it again so they could get a helicopter shot. So then he decided to play up the nude thing to play to the producers and camera time.
- Does basically admit that he's arrogant and when the producers ask him to do something for the camera or gave Jeff a long, eloquent answer, or made a snarky comment to the other tribes he was loving up his game by trying to get camera time. Despite that he basically tries to defend that he wasn't "a screentime whore" but was just having fun.
- He ends up going on a bunch of shalinguaa=s so Rob runs out of time before he can get to all his questions.
- Then he asks Rob if this was a "1" in his interviews.

I don't like Max.

Capt. Supermarket
Sep 30, 2007
Yeah Max is terrible. I was really surprised at how much I dislike him, and like you were saying his exit interview with Rob was really annoying.

One thing I like a lot about this season is how people who are playing up for the camera are blatantly getting called out in the edit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

Listening to Lindsey's exit interview on RHAP she sticks up for Dan. Says he's a "gentleman, great husband, and great guy" and that she thinks he's just insecure and is always playing to the camera and trying to fit in, so around Rodney and Mike he just started feeding into the anti-woman stuff for the cameras and the guys. The heart of her whole interview is basically "Yeah, I should have kept my mouth shut but that's not me and at least I went home without anything I had to explain to my family because i was just me." Dan, she says, was a completely different person to be around than what she and her family are seeing on TV. Says he was annoying but overall really a pleasant and nice guy who actually helped make life around camp easier and more pleasant. She just thinks he's doing it all for the cameras and its exactly what she didn't want to have to do, to have to explain to her family why she was acting like someone else on TV.

Overall she came off really pleasant, kind of self aware, and reasonable. I think if she hadn't been on a small tribe with Rodney and Mike she might have survived a lot longer. Then again someone like Max, Vince, Sirin, or Joaquin might have pissed her off and made her blow so who knows?

The Max interview was less enjoyable. Rob always likes these "know it all" players and sticked up a lot for him so he pretty much let Max just give a Survivor 101 lecture justifying his game.
- Max claims he knew he was going home by watching "the number of pen strokes Carolyn made voting."
- Says he didn't really pick up on Carolyn's disdain because she has "RBF". Says Carolyn didn't trust him because she "didn't understand" him using her as a pawn in the first vote.
- Says he played low key on the merged tribe and let Sirin take the wheel because as the tall, white, male he didn't want to "be the man ordering everyone around."
- Doesn't know if the naked stuff actually bothered anyone because he never got anything but "chuckles." Also claims the nudity thing started because he was "taking an aquadump" and when he got out of the water the producers asked him to do it again so they could get a helicopter shot. So then he decided to play up the nude thing to play to the producers and camera time.
- Does basically admit that he's arrogant and when the producers ask him to do something for the camera or gave Jeff a long, eloquent answer, or made a snarky comment to the other tribes he was loving up his game by trying to get camera time. Despite that he basically tries to defend that he wasn't "a screentime whore" but was just having fun.
- He ends up going on a bunch of shalinguaa=s so Rob runs out of time before he can get to all his questions.
- Then he asks Rob if this was a "1" in his interviews.

I don't like Max.

Eh. Every early exit interview feels like it's just a bunch of excuses and a revision of events to make it seem like they were doing better than they were. I was rolling my eyes at Lindsey doing the same thing.

That being said, he did wear on me and I'm pleased to be getting a break from him for the rest of the season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
See that's my read on Dan and why I have been defending him. He just seems to be a dork that's trying really hard but is also a bit clueless. I know a million people like that, whereas a lot of people on reality TV are kind of cartoon characters.

I'm having the most total fun watching Jenn, though. I imagine most of it is being saved for talks with the producers since otherwise people would probably dislike her already but the harsh-but-true way she's approaching things so far is entertaining.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Met posted:

Eh. Every early exit interview feels like it's just a bunch of excuses and a revision of events to make it seem like they were doing better than they were. I was rolling my eyes at Lindsey doing the same thing.

Eh, I'm always super skeptic and critical of the players who pile on excuses and claim their games were much better than it looked on TV but I didn't get that from Lindsey at all. I mean, her whole game basically came down to "getting into fights with misogynistic jerks and pissing them off" and it's not like she denied it or anything. She said she probably should have shut up and that her mouth and personality cost her the game, but she was just at peace with it because it would have annoyed her to not call them out or defend herself (or her gender or whatever). I don't see that as an excuse, just acceptance.

She also more or less admitted that she and Sierra made Kelly a third wheel and let Mike get in her head about splitting them up. I thought it was a more or less honest and self aware take.

As opposed to Max who did the usual thing where he had justifications for why all the things we think he did wrong really weren't as wrong as we think. That's the usual deal to me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

^^ yeah that

Lindsey really impressed me in her Exit Interview with her composure and how well-spoken she was.

Met posted:

I didn't hear it as making any excuses. She knew what her downfall was, and accepted it. I might be biased though.

STAC Goat posted:

I wouldn't even go that far but its that same basic thought process I imagine. There's just a right and a wrong way to navigate that situation. The proper reaction from Max would have been "Man, I'm so sorry for this. Thank you all for being so understanding. I'll refill the water pot and tend it while it boils. I'm really sorry."

I'm saying it was like a tiny, outside chance. Like 2% possible. He's already tried to be Richard Hatch by running around naked, tried to be Malcolm with his Hold Up Bro. I wouldn't put it past him that he's trying to be John Carroll and get someone to piss on him too.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dan is fun. He knows what he should be doing for the social game then bungles it every time alongside his smug confessional.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Dan is awful, but at least he's fun to hate. Max was just boring and nerdy. They both remind me of different kinds of MRAs.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lone Goat posted:

Max is such a fuckin ham that him getting stung on purpose is within the realm of possibility.

Someone (here? on RHAP?) nailed it when they said that Max was out there trying to emulate all his favourite survivors that he never got around to playing his own game until it was too late.

To all these people that like Mike: What do you actually like about him? Are you talking about liking him as a personality, or liking his position in the game?

The scorpion-eating was the best moment from the premiere, for one. And then the shouting match between him and his tribe actually ended up in Rodney and Lindsey looking meaner than him. And then both episodes four and five showed him to have some strategic depth and awareness.
Also, against so many people playing for the camera, Mike seems more real.
Last, yeah I love his position in the game, too. I believe the editing's set him up for the long haul.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Last season, often when someone was 'obviously' getting a winner's edit they would be the next one voted off. Josh, Jeremy, and Jon in particular.

And while starting fire, setting up shelter and functioning on low-calorie diet are important, people should train for Survivor by getting insulted and yelled at without freaking out or reacting poorly, and saving their responses for Confessionals.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think casting intentionally picks volatile people (shocker).

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
A recap of my first reaction to Max:

Met posted:

Name (Age): Max Dawson, Ph.D., 37
Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: First and foremost, I am playing to win.

notmakingthemerge.txt

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cochran posted:

Cochran: Alright — as the Professor of Survivor, what grade would you give yourself for the game you played?

Max: Well, I went to Brown, and we had pass/fail grading, so I would say I’d give myself a pass. Now, that pass might be a 61%, but it’s still a pass. And I give myself a pass not on account of the fact that I played particularly well — I played particularly well within the context of a set of what ended up being delusional assumptions about the integrity of my core alliance. If some of those assumptions had in fact been true, I might be giving myself a 97%. But because they weren’t, I’m probably giving myself the lowest passing grade. And the reason why I’m still giving myself a pass is because I had so much fun out there. There is nothing more fun for a Survivor superfan than playing Survivor. So, in terms of my actual execution, probably not as great as I would’ve hoped it would be, but in terms of the quality of my experience and the amount of fun I had, it was just amazing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Honestly I'm not sure Max even went on Survivor to try to win, I think he just went on Survivor to be on Survivor.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jesus he's insufferable

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

We all should have seen this coming when he was talking about KALE in his bio.

What a fuckin dork.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Max went out to play the Survivor he saw on TV, and not the Survivor on the island. I think that was his fatal flaw.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Of course he went to Brown

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Poque posted:

Of course he went to Brown

What's the significance of that for us non Americans?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Lord Bude posted:

What's the significance of that for us non Americans?

it's a member of the prestigious Ivy League of universities which is known for graduating pretentious people who love to bring it up at every possible moment. "Oh at BROWN I was ... "

I'm honestly surprised he didn't say it on screen. Although it's possible I just don't remember it since I usually went catatonic when he spoke

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Poque posted:

it's a member of the prestigious Ivy League of universities...

They should probably kick Brown out sometime soon.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Hot drat, he's the worst. I never want to see him on the show again. Anybody other than himself and the people that don't want to hurt his feelings (Cochran, the Know-it-alls, some of the dumber people on Reddit) would give him a hard fail. You don't play a Cult Leader game with only one follower.
He doesn't respect the game as much as people like Carolyn and Jenn, who love the game but don't trumpet their love to the rooftops or rant obsessively about astrology signs of the winners and the game dynamics of One World. They played the game, he went and geeked out the entire time.
It'd be funny, though, if Shirin actually took his boot to heart, and turned her game around. Dunno if she was self aware enough to do that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I take back saying I'd be ok with him returning. He's the worst.

It's POSSIBLE that Shirins bad gameplay was exasperated by Max's obvious terribleness. If the two of them were as close as Max makes it sound and he clearly didn't see anything wrong with her behavior or gameplay than maybe she was just feeding off that. Maybe with him gone there's no one there to help her be deluded about her game position or encourage her acting crazy.

Granted, I'm only suggesting this as a random theory. Because it's obvious Max was deluded and clueless to what was going on but utterly convinced he had things in control. So if he was feeding Shirin a steady stream of that maybe she can change her game with him gone and no longer misleading her.

I agree with those who've said that Kelly should probably be the next one to go to weaken the Blue Collars post merge. So that might buy Shirin some time.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i frankly do not quite understand everyone's raging hatred for max. he definitely seems annoying, and i imagine he would have driven me nuts out there too, but i'd way rather see him again than a dozen other contestants.

he's not even the worst thing on this season. that award goes to mr. 'women need to hold themselves to a higher standard than men'. what a complete douchebag. though joaquin is a close runner up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Adus posted:

i frankly do not quite understand everyone's raging hatred for max. he definitely seems annoying, and i imagine he would have driven me nuts out there too, but i'd way rather see him again than a dozen other contestants.

he's not even the worst thing on this season. that award goes to mr. 'women need to hold themselves to a higher standard than men'. what a complete douchebag. though joaquin is a close runner up.

Yeah, Max really wasn't that bad. Joaquin is a huge douche.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rodney is a much worse person than Max. Definitely. And Joaquin probably is too but he hasn't gotten much TV time.

Max isn't necessarily a bad person. He's just a super, super annoying and arrogant one.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A lot of people are hard on Max because he was a Student of the Game and by all rights should have done really well, but he made a lot of boneheaded mistakes because he was thinking about the game from the wrong angle.

A lot of people are hard on Max because he's an annoying hipster doofus.

I'm both of these people.

Yeah, there's much shittier human beings on this season, but Max managed to play worse than many of them!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, Max just presses certain buttons I have. I just don't like the smug, know it all type. Especially the kind that needs to rationalize their mistakes like Max is doing and argue away why he isn't a bad player who played a poo poo game.

But that doesn't make him a bad person. Just someone who annoys me.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
To be fair, if it weren't for the other contestants, Max would have won.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

To be fair, if it weren't for the other contestants, Max would have won.

Even if there were no other contestants Max would irritate Probst so much there'd be no winner.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

We all should have seen this coming when he was talking about KALE in his bio.

What a fuckin dork.
Yeah and I don't hate him for having his beard but the way he talks about his own beard nonstop I just want to smack him. And also the cast photos where he's like crossing his arms trying to look tough, it's so posed and fake. Everything about him is so arrogant ("I would have lied too, but I would have done a better job at it!") and yet he absolutely sucked out there. "I told her I'd have gone to rocks for her, I can't believe she turned on me!" "Well yeah I used her as a pawn so that if So played a HII she would have gone home, I guess she doesn't understand strategy."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Also I have some speculation based on Lindsey's exit interview: sticks up for idiot Dan -> Dan is a fellow pre-jury boot

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Spatula City posted:

Hot drat, he's the worst. I never want to see him on the show again. Anybody other than himself and the people that don't want to hurt his feelings (Cochran, the Know-it-alls, some of the dumber people on Reddit) would give him a hard fail. You don't play a Cult Leader game with only one follower.
He doesn't respect the game as much as people like Carolyn and Jenn, who love the game but don't trumpet their love to the rooftops or rant obsessively about astrology signs of the winners and the game dynamics of One World. They played the game, he went and geeked out the entire time.
It'd be funny, though, if Shirin actually took his boot to heart, and turned her game around. Dunno if she was self aware enough to do that.

I don't think Cochran is able to express himself freely, considering he is doing the official CBS exit interviews. I suspect his private opinion would be harsher.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

xcore posted:

Surely Max is one of the biggest disappointments in the shows history? The ratio of potential to performance is massive.

Anyone a little sad about the show casting so many overtly stupid people? Yeah, it makes for some great TV moments, but the strategy and nuance to the game is completely ruined. It's like they are just going out to cast an entire season of Coach Wades

Going gravedigging back a few pages for this, but I couldn't help but comment.

You know goddamn well that a season of 16-18 people that are at Tocantins level Coach insanity would be the most entertaining season of any television show ever. Sadly there aren't that many people that are that unhinged at one time, so it's a bit pie in the sky, but man I would absolutely love that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Am I a bad person because I never realized Joaquin was pronounced Wakeen, and now I always call him The African Dream?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't get a chance to watch live while I was on vacation last week, but I finally caught up last night and have a few thoughts in no particular order:

1. I can't say that I am sad that Max got voted out, although I wouldn't have minded seeing him suffer a little bit more first. But seeing him get completely blindsided was pretty awesome.

2. Lindsey might not have been voted out if she had kept quiet, but I actually like/respect her a bit now because she did speak up. If she had gone farther I still don't think I'd be rooting for her, but I'd no longer be actively rooting against her. Although her speech during tribal seemed a bit too staged/scripted.

3. Rodney is just a terrible person. His whole attitude and the 'women should hold themselves to a higher standard' thinking is just absolutely awful. I know this article is a old and maybe it's been discussed but it really brings his douchebaggery into focus. Sorry Rodney you will never be a G.O.A.T. but you might end up being a goat.

4. I'm not sure if I'd be able to resist asking Rodney if his sister was holding herself to a higher standard when she OD'd on crack. Of course, I'd probably be trying to goad him into getting kicked off for punching me. It probably wouldn't be too hard since I'd also probably hammer on the mom jokes/comments, especially once he revealed that they bother him so much. I have a talent for pushing buttons. :v:

5. It was hilarious watching Dan almost do/say something smart only to immediately veer off 90 degrees and crashed right into a wall. He was doing so well at first with his women listen with empathy thought and then he just jammed it straight into condescension by ending it with 'just smile and nod and agree'. Then his apology started a little rough but it could have been saved and instead he careens headlong into the 'well you did it first' bus.

6. There will never be a greater chicken killing than JT in Heroes vs Villians. This sums it up pretty well: http://funny115.com/v2/81.htm . Although I could have sworn that JT did it by grabbing the chicken by the head and then just spinning the body around, but maybe that was Tocantins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The smart move is to eat the rooster and keep the egg-layers around as long as possible.

SweetJahasus posted:

Going gravedigging back a few pages for this, but I couldn't help but comment.

You know goddamn well that a season of 16-18 people that are at Tocantins level Coach insanity would be the most entertaining season of any television show ever. Sadly there aren't that many people that are that unhinged at one time, so it's a bit pie in the sky, but man I would absolutely love that.

Not pie in the sky at all. To see 16-18 unhinged bigmouths with huge ego and overinflated sense of self-worth, watch Celebrity Big Brother .

• Locked thread