Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

I am so loving GARBAGE at highways though holy poo poo

Me too man, me too. :smith::hf::smith:

I also have no idea how bus routes work so I just plop them down randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
A random map generator, kind of like the one in the old Simcity games would be the icing on the cake at this point.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Anyone with some hot tips for how to do bus stops? I have no clue and just plopped them everywhere and well there isn't really much way to figure out how well it works anyway.

dont cross the streams and have a stop right next to a metro stop in each line, bam 40% of your car traffic gone instantly

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Rivers are for driving!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

simosimo posted:

Loving texturing this. Do we think my style of hand drawn textures will fit in the game?

I like it. Is that a one by one commercial building?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For anyone using the population rebalance mod, two questions: is it even possible to design a traffic system that can accommodate that many people? And does higher population density just mean you're going to hit the agent cap real early?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've got a dumb newbie question, I guess I'm having a brain fart because I can't figure it out.

How do I make a road that curves off but flows at a natural angle, like this? Straight roads are boring.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Asproigerosis posted:

Anyone with some hot tips for how to do bus stops? I have no clue and just plopped them everywhere and well there isn't really much way to figure out how well it works anyway.

Split up your bus lines into types. You want feeder lines and mover lines. Have smaller lines that move people from their homes or jobs to the main non-highway roadway. Then have a separate line that just takes people down that main road to the other feeder line.

Essentially it goes like this

To get from their home to their work it should take 3 bus lines if the two are fairly close to each other, unless either location is within walking distance of the main artery.

If you have a very wide city then it may make sense to have another express line with only two stops which takes people from the main artery routes to a central junction where they can switch to another main artery.

Edit: I should also mention that the feeder lines should only have ONE stop on the main artery line (preferably right next to a stop for the artery line). They are only there to drop people off and pick people up to head to their homes, not move stuff around on the main artery line.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 22, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

beerinator posted:

I like it. Is that a one by one commercial building?

It will be yeah :) Growable.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guildencrantz posted:

Grids own :colbert: All that filthy sprawling squiggly road hierarchy crap is a rotten compromise. You want "organic", go to Whole Foods, cities are for concrete and machines and right angles.

Admittedly though, I do prefer the northern European style of staggered grids that change alignment between districts. Geometric planning doesn't have to mean monotony!

Speaking of Nordic planning, how about Rovaniemi's "reindeer antler" plan? (the center on the right is the head with the sports stadium as its 'eye')

Which is unimaginary in comparison to the South Sudanese city planning:

quote:

The authorities in southern Sudan have unveiled a $10bn (£6.4bn) plan to rebuild the region's cities in the shapes of animals and fruit.

Elaborate blueprints for the new cities have already been drawn up.

The regional capital, Juba, will be relocated and designed in the shape of a rhinoceros. Wau, the capital of Western Bahr el-Ghazal state, is to be a somewhat unwieldy giraffe.

Southern Sudanese are due to vote in a referendum on independence next year.

In Juba, the office of the regional president is situated where the rhinoceros's eye should be.

In Wau, the sewage treatment plant is appropriately placed under the giraffe's tail.

There is talk that the town of Yambio will be shaped like a pineapple.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11019550

I like the way these guys think.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

simosimo posted:

Loving texturing this. Do we think my style of hand drawn textures will fit in the game?

Probably better than my style of hand drawn textures.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Furnaceface posted:

Me too man, me too. :smith::hf::smith:

I also have no idea how bus routes work so I just plop them down randomly.

The best thing you can learn for highways are these:

I think I picked it up from someone in this thread. Those little loops of ramp that lead from one direction to another will drastically reduce your traffic on your overpasses. Traffic will just get on the highway at the closest on-ramp and then change direction on one of your loops if they need to. This keeps the overpasses clear for traffic that's staying within your city.

Adding these solved about half of my city's traffic problems.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I can't believe there isn't a mod yet that enabled a full grid when laying down roads to help keep things parallel.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nenonen posted:

Speaking of Nordic planning, how about Rovaniemi's "reindeer antler" plan? (the center on the right is the head with the sports stadium as its 'eye')

Which is unimaginary in comparison to the South Sudanese city planning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11019550

I like the way these guys think.

This is the president of South Sudan.

I can trust this man.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks like I have mod overload, or the Mac version sucks. UI mods stopped appearing altogether and zooming in beyond mid causes massive and terminal FPS drop - all on a computer that should handle it easily. I think I'll try to re-install on Windows when I have the time and compare.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

CJacobs posted:

I've got a dumb newbie question, I guess I'm having a brain fart because I can't figure it out.

How do I make a road that curves off but flows at a natural angle, like this? Straight roads are boring.

The game kind of doesn't let you do that. It is infuriating.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ToastyPotato posted:

The game kind of doesn't let you do that. It is infuriating.

Darn. Would've been cool though! Maybe with mods.

My city is starting to become aware of the encroaching darkness of the poop water. It looks like it's flowing downstream but it's not, there's no current on the coast at all. Something tells me I'm probably going to have to relocate my water facilities to the opposite side of the island soon lest I encounter a poopocalypse of my own.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Another Person posted:

nope, but regardless grids will always be scrub tier play in city building games imo, they take so little thought and ingenuity, like playing with training wheels

Guildencrantz posted:

Grids own :colbert: All that filthy sprawling squiggly road hierarchy crap is a rotten compromise. You want "organic", go to Whole Foods, cities are for concrete and machines and right angles.

Admittedly though, I do prefer the northern European style of staggered grids that change alignment between districts. Geometric planning doesn't have to mean monotony!

Scrubs need to get on L'Enfant's level

e: and you'd better believe there are traffic circles up in there

Hubis fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 22, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CJacobs posted:

It's really picky about curves coming off in that manner. I expect the smoothest way to pull it off is to make as short as possible of a straight branch coming out of the intersection at a 45 degree angle and continue the sweep off the end of that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So a British friend of mine just bought the game and I'm watching him play. He doesn't have a driver's license and has basically used London's public transportation his whole life. Watching him building roads networks is adorable, especially his first attempt at an interchange. Which he left about half done until I reminded him that southbound needed a off ramp and northbound needed an onramp. :allears:

I'm jealous really, I wish where I lived had decent enough public transportation that I could've gone my whole life without driving.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

All this game really needs now is SimCity-style disasters. Firestorms, floods, volcanos, monsters--poo poo even zombies could work great with the cemeteries and crematories

Get on it, Colossal Order!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Whoever made that Zion map, thank you. It's really cool and chill for making valley cities and then putting elitist neighborhoods up top.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

I did a circle city that looked like this:

It's been 100% filled in since I've taken the screen shots but I got bored of it as soon as it was done.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Why is there no 4-lane one way road? :psyduck:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

After saving and heading off I got bored for a moment and broke the dam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPckgn_ZbIM

Somehow the audio hosed up when I tried to edit it in youtube editor (need to reformat soon to get vegas working again) and it used an audio file from another video (tom hanks conan)

pop went down to about 180k after screencap taken (was at 290k pre dam busting)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 22, 2015

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Lprsti99 posted:

Why is there no 4-lane one way road? :psyduck:

Because 4 lanes are dumb and require the same amount of space as 6 lanes and are thus pointless.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I did not realize how bad The Coast Of rear end had gotten until I looked at my pollution map. Time to build a bridge across the water and make an actual beach there where the water's not 99% turds on the other side. :stare:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I did not realize how bad The Coast Of rear end had gotten until I looked at my pollution map. Time to build a bridge across the water and make an actual beach there where the water's not 99% turds on the other side. :stare:

get water treatment plants and get rid of your sewage pipes asap! :ohdear:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Asproigerosis posted:

Because 4 lanes are dumb and require the same amount of space as 6 lanes and are thus pointless.
6 lane roads, even with the decorations, look like horrible concrete rivers of oppression. 4 lane roads are the stylish choice of thoroughfare and that extra lane in each direction isn't very useful except in the most loaded of intersections.

6 lane one ways are some mutant aberration used solely for weird trident things.

e. so I guess the answer to the original question is if you need something bigger than a 2 lane one way you are either over thinking things and should have a ramp or highway instead, or over thinking things and thus need a crazy trident monstrosity using a 6 lane

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 22, 2015

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I decided I wanted a Central Park for my built up downtown area.

It turned out pretty well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fluo posted:

get water treatment plants and get rid of your sewage pipes asap! :ohdear:

This is a new town so I won't be unlocking treatment plants till a couple thousand more poo apologists move in. When I do, though, my coast will be pretty once more!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 22, 2015

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
How horrible would it be to play this via a remote desktop from my laptop to my desktop. I'm away from home more often than not.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Watch this right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIEc15SRgng

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm jealous really, I wish where I lived had decent enough public transportation that I could've gone my whole life without driving.

You should come live in Tampere like Colossal Order and everyone else who's cool and good, the bus line coverage is pretty thorough here.

Local bus stops:

Incidentally this game made me realize I also have no clue how roads actually work.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

:captainpop::captainpop:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zedprime posted:

6 lane roads, even with the decorations, look like horrible concrete rivers of oppression. 4 lane roads are the stylish choice of thoroughfare and that extra lane in each direction isn't very useful except in the most loaded of intersections.

6 lane one ways are some mutant aberration used solely for weird trident things.

e. so I guess the answer to the original question is if you need something bigger than a 2 lane one way you are either over thinking things and should have a ramp or highway instead, or over thinking things and thus need a crazy trident monstrosity using a 6 lane

I mostly agree, however I find that past the early game I start using 6-lanes more and more. True the traffic pathing is bad enough that a third lane really doesn't help as everyone will generally get in the ONE lane they need. True the 4-lanes definitely look prettier. However when that third lane at an intersection can help it does tremendously. Also, people can't turn left (or right if you're British) on 4-lane roads due to the central divider. So they have to drive around in odd loops sometimes to get somewhere. I tend to use the prettier 4-lane roads for residential zones, and use the 6 lane roads for industrial ones at the start and then start switching over to 6 lanes as I get money and traffic starts being dumb.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fantastic.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

This is at the southern edge of my city, and I've got traffic backed up for miles here because everyone heading north to leave town wants to merge into the lefthand lane at that exact spot. Is there any way to fix this? Maybe I have too many exits on that side.

Edit: VVV Fair warning, it is disgusting:

I noticed most of the traffic in the interchange was trying to move from west to north, so I added that weird Y-shaped ramp that no one uses in case some of them wanted to travel on the parallel highway.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 22, 2015

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
We'd need a wider shot to give you traffic advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Alkydere posted:

I mostly agree, however I find that past the early game I start using 6-lanes more and more. True the traffic pathing is bad enough that a third lane really doesn't help as everyone will generally get in the ONE lane they need. True the 4-lanes definitely look prettier. However when that third lane at an intersection can help it does tremendously. Also, people can't turn left (or right if you're British) on 4-lane roads due to the central divider. So they have to drive around in odd loops sometimes to get somewhere. I tend to use the prettier 4-lane roads for residential zones, and use the 6 lane roads for industrial ones at the start and then start switching over to 6 lanes as I get money and traffic starts being dumb.

Last node 6 lanes in a 4 lane grid do everything I want out of 6 lanes :getin:

I haven't run into issues with the lack of turns, I expect because of side streets breaking up the grid of 4 lanes enough that it doesn't impact the big 4 way intersections.

Industrial districts gets 2 lanes only. It can't afford things as petty as traffic lights.