Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Dalael posted:

Its not that bad, but there are a few more things wrong than just Years old news.

1- No comment section
2- No longer access to the book reviews (that I can see anyways)
3- Does not work properly (or at all in my case) on mobile.

Possibly a few more things...

The RSS feed appears to be nonexistent or broken too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CommonShore posted:

So titan bridges and jump bridges got nerfed for being too good, but you think that the game needs something cheaper and easier. And before you say anything about jump bridges being two way transport, just remember that this would be set up as parallel one-way streets. The goonterstate would return.

If there is a way to break the game hilariously, you bet your rear end GSF is gonna be all over it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I am really excited at the topological possibilities of removing existing gates and replacing them via one way gates and wormholes. It sounds fantastic, let's hope they do hisec first.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anias posted:

I am really excited at the topological possibilities of removing existing gates and replacing them via one way gates and wormholes. It sounds fantastic, let's hope they do hisec first.

If you think nullsec people scream about getting their cheese moved, wait until you remove the chokepoints between trade hubs in highsec. Removing those gates and redirecting them somewhere else would cause all kinds of shrieking terribleness.

E: by remove i mean like take the gate to Uedama or Niarja and point it to a system a couple jumps away or something, or even turn that poo poo around the other way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

orange juche posted:

If there is a way to break the game hilariously, you bet your rear end GSF is gonna be all over it.

:911:

orange juche posted:

If you think nullsec people scream about getting their cheese moved, wait until you remove the chokepoints between trade hubs in highsec. Removing those gates and redirecting them somewhere else would cause all kinds of shrieking terribleness.

All freighters from Jita pass through Uedama.

e. OH GOD SET UP A LOOP SO THAT ALL AUTOPILOTING FREIGHTERS GO IN CIRCLES THROUGH 0.5/0.6 SYSTEMS FOREVER

also, break all gates so that we have ratting pockets with jump bridge-only access.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 22, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

All freighters from Jita pass through Uedama.

e. OH GOD SET UP A LOOP SO THAT ALL AUTOPILOTING FREIGHTERS GO IN CIRCLES THROUGH 0.5/0.6 SYSTEMS FOREVER

also, break all gates so that we have ratting pockets with jump bridge-only access.

Better: Redirect all gates leading to Jita to Poitot instead.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

assuming they even allow player gates in highsec, niarja is one that you probably aren't going to get around as easily due to the massive amount of space between madri and niarja

uedama though is probably a pro choke avoidance area with multiple competing options charging for the privilege :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Glory of Arioch posted:

assuming they even allow player gates in highsec, niarja is one that you probably aren't going to get around as easily due to the massive amount of space between madri and niarja

uedama though is probably a pro choke avoidance area with multiple competing options charging for the privilege :v:

No way. Everyone goes into Uedama and Niarja. Nothing comes out. Death death death :aaaaa:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CommonShore posted:

No way. Everyone goes into Uedama and Niarja. Nothing comes out. Death death death :aaaaa:

yes and this is why these two systems would be an attractive target for player owned stargates to work around

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The dev blog mentioned the possibility of changing the security status of a system. How awesome would it be if Burn Jita pulled it's sec status down to 0.4 or something. Even better, true 0.0 so we could bubble camp 4-4 for a month. It would throw the economy into utter chaos.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ynglaur posted:

The dev blog mentioned the possibility of changing the security status of a system. How awesome would it be if Burn Jita pulled it's sec status down to 0.4 or something. Even better, true 0.0 so we could bubble camp 4-4 for a month. It would throw the economy into utter chaos.

if only

most likely it'll be for modifying truesec in conquerable 0.0 though

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Glory of Arioch posted:

if only

most likely it'll be for modifying truesec in conquerable 0.0 though

It's probably gonna only be to lower the truesec to get closest possible to -1.0 for better rat payout.
Not sure how all these structures will be related to high-sec tough

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"coz of tards like PL streamsnipers there is so low eve streamers" - random Twitch streamer who went into HED-GP during a fight to stream it and got sniped by PL.

We really are killing EVE :ohdear:

Edit - now with video http://www.twitch.tv/zarvoxtoral/b/640102462?t=1h47m24s (different streamer)

They were steaming a "shiney fleet" and got hotdroped, and proceeded to complain for about 30mins about how PL were ruining EVE for people by denying a stream to happen.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 22, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CCP should have an entire weekend where the whole galaxy is 0.0

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Unfunny Poster posted:

"coz of tards like PL streamsnipers there is so low eve streamers" - random Twitch streamer who went into HED-GP during a fight to stream it and got sniped by PL.

We really are killing EVE :ohdear:

Edit - now with video http://www.twitch.tv/zarvoxtoral/b/640102462?t=1h47m24s (different streamer)

They were steaming a "shiney fleet" and got hotdroped, and proceeded to complain for about 30mins about how PL were ruining EVE for people by denying a stream to happen.

Maybe PL should disband. :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eve-Online isn't a stream friendly game. The streaming option was put in there to troll players who don't know better.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

Maybe PL should disband. :colbert:

Ask Shamis to do it.

I said come in! posted:

Eve-Online isn't a stream friendly game. The streaming option was put in there to troll players who don't know better.

It is and it isn't. I watched some stream called Dropped Frames where they were talking about good games to stream and one of the guys said most streamers are playing games where "poo poo can hit the fan at any moment", which EVE obviously can be like. The real issue with it being a fun stream to watch as a non-player is due to the amount of information you have to process to understand whats happening versus a stream of H1Z1 or whatever. EVE has a bunch of windows you need to pay attention to, the examples I used only require you to see what's in front of you. I'm pretty sure once Valkyrie comes out, assuming its not broken as all poo poo, you'll see that be more popular than EVE Online is simply due to the simplicity in understanding whats going on as a viewer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Unfunny Poster posted:

Ask Shamis to do it.

It is and it isn't. I watched some stream called Dropped Frames where they were talking about good games to stream and one of the guys said most streamers are playing games where "poo poo can hit the fan at any moment", which EVE obviously can be like. The real issue with it being a fun stream to watch as a non-player is due to the amount of information you have to process to understand whats happening versus a stream of H1Z1 or whatever. EVE has a bunch of windows you need to pay attention to, the examples I used only require you to see what's in front of you. I'm pretty sure once Valkyrie comes out, assuming its not broken as all poo poo, you'll see that be more popular than EVE Online is simply due to the simplicity in understanding whats going on as a viewer.

The other problem is that for the bullshit that 99% of EVE streamers offer, the poo poo that hits the fan and makes it interesting is the exact kind of stuff that these mongoloids are whining about. I.e. they stream mining and missions, which are boring as gently caress to watch, until the poo poo hits the fan, which = Miniluv.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

The other problem is that for the bullshit that 99% of EVE streamers offer, the poo poo that hits the fan and makes it interesting is the exact kind of stuff that these mongoloids are whining about. I.e. they stream mining and missions, which are boring as gently caress to watch, until the poo poo hits the fan, which = Miniluv.

Yeah, I prefer the people who do NPSI fleet streams or roam solo in Lowsec. SirSqueebles is a pretty good stream, as is Chessur and Gorski Car.

Hell, even Destiny's attempt at streaming EVE wasn't that terrible (save for his ego and arguing that he was right despite being habitually wrong about most things EVE).

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm pretty sure once Valkyrie comes out, assuming its not broken as all poo poo, you'll see that be more popular than EVE Online is simply due to the simplicity in understanding whats going on as a viewer.
That, and the design brief for Valkyrie seems to be "Counterstrike, in space fighter jets, on the Rift" which is probably the sort of thing that will appeal to a wider audience than Eve.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Helicon One posted:

That, and the design brief for Valkyrie seems to be "Counterstrike, in space fighter jets, on the Rift" which is probably the sort of thing that will appeal to a wider audience than Eve.

It is a pretty awesome sounding design brief.

The trailer had a friend on mine who tried Eve a few years ago asking if/when the beta is and that's before he saw the doomsday...

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Helicon One posted:

Counterstrike, in space fighter jets, on the Rift

I have never wanted to play any game more in my entire life. Ever single part of that description is amazing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helicon One posted:

Yeah. I do sort of wish they'd do a decent length singleplayer campaign/story arc of some sort but from what they said the single player stuff will only be for the tutorial section and then its just straight up lobby shooter a la DUST/CS:GO/WarThunder/etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How long will VR be a requirement to play Valkyrie?

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Probably not that long as it seems like a pretty big barrier to entry for most people. I wonder what the joystick support will be like.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Hopefully forever.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The VR is how half of the game works. It will always be a requirement. It's a VR headset game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Probably not that long as it seems like a pretty big barrier to entry for most people. I wonder what the joystick support will be like.

The mechanics of locking on your missiles is tied to the trackIR function of the headset, let alone a lot of other aspects of it are tied mostly to VR technology so I think it's not gonna be a case of "it'll be on VR for X months then you can play it without one" like people are guessing it will be.

At the first Fanfest they did with it (2013) they had you using an Xbox 360 controller. They've said they're looking at joystick/HOTAS setups at panels and such but nothing definitive has been stated in terms of what setups they'll support. The controller layout, which seemingly will also work with a PS4 controller due to it being also on the Morpheus, works pretty well overall and is intuitive enough you don't need to worry about not seeing your hands.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Part of me hopes that it will be VR only forever but the Rift is likely to be relatively expensive. If they add trackIR support or allow players to bind a free look key then the missile mechanics etc might not be as much of a pain for non VR users. Of course :ccp: but they must have considered making the game available to everyone in some form.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

The mechanics of locking on your missiles is tied to the trackIR function of the headset

Yikes, when you say it like that it sounds like it would be impossible to implement other ways of playing the game. The controller/joystick support of the PS4 version though gives me hope.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Part of me hopes that it will be VR only forever but the Rift is likely to be relatively expensive. If they add trackIR support or allow players to bind a free look key then the missile mechanics etc might not be as much of a pain for non VR users. Of course :ccp: but they must have considered making the game available to everyone in some form.

Trying to play Valkyrie without a headset is like trying to play Counterstrike with only the keyboard. Sure, you could do it but it's missing the point of the game. It's a VR game designed for a VR platform for VR reasons.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's also a few more VR headsets than just the Oculus and Morpheus being produced and CCP said they won't rule out supporting those, just for now they're tied to the Oculus and Morpheus which makes sense since those two were the first two VR headsets to be announced/demo'd.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does the Oculus have a retail release date yet? I know you can buy one right now, but if I remember correctly, it's primarily for developers?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Does the Oculus have a retail release date yet? I know you can buy one right now, but if I remember correctly, it's primarily for developers?

Yes, the current version is only recommended for developers - it has some pretty harsh issues still that need to be worked out before a proper consumer release, so I wouldn't recommend one unless you're developing for one.

Unfortunately, there is no consumer release date yet - Palmer Lucky (their leader) is very hesitant to put one out, so I wouldn't expect a very long lead time but that's just a guess.

We do know that this year is looking less and less likely :shrug:

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

inkmoth posted:

Yes, the current version is only recommended for developers - it has some pretty harsh issues still that need to be worked out before a proper consumer release, so I wouldn't recommend one unless you're developing for one.

Unfortunately, there is no consumer release date yet - Palmer Lucky (their leader) is very hesitant to put one out, so I wouldn't expect a very long lead time but that's just a guess.

We do know that this year is looking less and less likely :shrug:

It's probably going to get release next year, they still have big issues to fix as you said and we all know that it does take time, i'm just a bit pissed off that Facebook bought OR..

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Morpheus is coming out early next year, and really if I decide I want a VR headset, that is what i'm going to buy because its being developed by Sony, and the PS4 is my primary gaming platform. I have no intentions of upgrading my PC, and Valkyrie looks like it will be very system demanding.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

CommonShore posted:

It'll be pretty awesome if they did that but you got no local along with it. All it would take is our enemies to get one covert cyno lit by a blue then they'd be in there forever.

I said come in! posted:

Streaming you're either the prey or the predator. I've done a number of streams where I've streamed with a cyno module hidden under my dscan window. Love to get stream sniped.

vulvamancer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 22, 2015

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

vulvamancer posted:

Streaming you're either the prey or the predator. I've done a number of streams where I've streamed with a cyno module hidden under my dscan window. Love to get stream sniped.

That is beautiful.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

vulvamancer posted:

loving hero of space right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

vulvamancer posted:

Eve is best viewed/played with maximum 'gotcha' moments.

• Locked thread