Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Pierson posted:

Someone mentioned Thor in a different thread and got me wondering: What good movies are there about ancient gods and myths that are about actual gods and myths and that aren't 'THE MUCH MORE REALISTIC AND GRITTY MAN BEHIND THE MYTH'-style adaptations like Hercules is? The last one I can really recall is Immortals and that had its own problems. Which movie was it that was an awkward mess in cinemas and became something a lot better in the director's cut? Was it Troy?

Also back to BTAS: Mask of the Phantasm owned when I was ten, does it still hold up?

It's not actually about Gods and myths but you could do much worse than HBO series Rome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

eyyyy, Burton's Batman is alright. it's got a dogshit script, but Keaton and Nicholson salvage it and there's some rad production design.

Returns is better.

Batman is interesting as it's an early example of the modern calculated blockbuster model. Jaws and Star Wars started the blockbuster era, but they were flukes- nobody expected them to perform like they did. Batman was very much a studio planning a movie that was meant to be both very profitable and a platform for sequels, merchandise, etc. There are a lot of lines that seem to be there specifically because they'll sound good in ads, they promoted Prince to the extent that the first soundtrack album was all his songs, nothing by Elfman, and they're very careful about producing a look and feel that avoids the camp of the 60s series while still staying clearly within PG-13 lines.

That said it's a good film, largely due to the visual style and the score, and Keaton really is great. But you can tell the story got a little buried under catchphrases and toyetic scenes. Returns is also a bit of a mess but it's so insane and unrepentantly freakish that I have to love it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Batman is interesting as it's an early example of the modern calculated blockbuster model.

definitely. beat for beat it's got one of the most programmatic, paint by numbers screenplays i can think of.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Maxwell Lord posted:

Batman is interesting as it's an early example of the modern calculated blockbuster model.

In fact the earliest, according to Tom Schatz.

Schatz, 27-28 posted:

The term “Big Six” was commonly used in the industry trade press to reference either the conglomerates or their studios, which were increasingly adept at coordinating their respective operations and objectives. Key to this effort, of course, was the Hollywood blockbuster, which was re-engineered to accommodate the changing – and steadily expanding – media landscape. That process began at the very outset of the conglomerate era with the “blockbuster summer” of 1989, when hit sequels to the Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon, Back to the Future, and Ghostbusters franchises were eclipsed by Batman (Tim Burton), the biggest box-office hit in a record year when the domestic box office surpassed $5 billion for the first time ever. Released just as the Time Warner merger took effect, Batman created a new paradigm for Hollywood blockbusters. In studio head Terry Semel’s words: “The first picture that blew us out [after the merger] was Batman. . . . It was the first time we utilized the whole machine of the company. The marketing, the tie-ins, the merchandising, the international.” (Brown, 1996). Despite the huge success in 1990 of more modest films like Pretty Woman (Garry Marshall, US), Home Alone (Chris Columbus, US), and Ghost (Jarry Zucker, US), the studios inexorably turned their attention away from mid-range star-genre projects in favor of event films and “tentpole” pictures – i.e., mega-hits that could carry a studio’s entire production slate and drive the parent company’s far-flung entertainment operations as well.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I was wondering about scenes where there is a close face-to-face conversation between characters filmed from the side. I've noticed this a few times but the only example I can give is in Platoon in the scene where Chris and Rhah are arguing about Barnes in the bunker after Elias is killed and it looks like Francesco Quinn is actually closer to the camera than Charlie Sheen. In other words, it looks like the actors are pretending to be nose to nose but are talking over each others' shoulder.

Just curious if this an actual filming technique to account for lighting difficulties? Or maybe I'm imagining things.

Also this is a great thread. Just finished reading through the whole thing over the past several days.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pierson posted:

Someone mentioned Thor in a different thread and got me wondering: What good movies are there about ancient gods and myths that are about actual gods and myths and that aren't 'THE MUCH MORE REALISTIC AND GRITTY MAN BEHIND THE MYTH'-style adaptations like Hercules is?

Disney's Hercules.

There are no "actual" gods.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Keith Atherton posted:

I was wondering about scenes where there is a close face-to-face conversation between characters filmed from the side. I've noticed this a few times but the only example I can give is in Platoon in the scene where Chris and Rhah are arguing about Barnes in the bunker after Elias is killed and it looks like Francesco Quinn is actually closer to the camera than Charlie Sheen. In other words, it looks like the actors are pretending to be nose to nose but are talking over each others' shoulder.

Just curious if this an actual filming technique to account for lighting difficulties? Or maybe I'm imagining things.

Also this is a great thread. Just finished reading through the whole thing over the past several days.

Forced perspective is sometimes used to make actors heads appear the same size or to make actors appear to be the same height.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_perspective

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Keith Atherton posted:

I can't give any filmmaking thoughts, but Platoon is one of my favorite movies and the camerawork in that scene always bugged me. Maybe it is done that way to make Rhah seem more overpowering and intimidating, but it always looked unnatural to me how big his head is compared to Chris.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There's no real reason to stage them at different distances lighting wise, and forced perspective would normally be balanced with a focal length that would hide it. It's hard to imagine a professional crew flubbing something like that. My best guess is the director wanted one character to feel more imposing in a surreal way maybe? I haven't seen Platoon in nearly 20 years though so I can't really recall the scene to comment very well.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

SkunkDuster posted:

I can't give any filmmaking thoughts, but Platoon is one of my favorite movies and the camerawork in that scene always bugged me. Maybe it is done that way to make Rhah seem more overpowering and intimidating, but it always looked unnatural to me how big his head is compared to Chris.

Bugblatter posted:

There's no real reason to stage them at different distances lighting wise, and forced perspective would normally be balanced with a focal length that would hide it. It's hard to imagine a professional crew flubbing something like that. My best guess is the director wanted one character to feel more imposing in a surreal way maybe? I haven't seen Platoon in nearly 20 years though so I can't really recall the scene to comment very well.

That makes sense. Thank you both. I have watched Platoon over 20 times and that scene and Elias's death scene where you can see the wires for his squibs sticking out of his uniform and the squib activator in his hand are the only things in the movie that put me into the mode of thinking about camera work or effects.

I remember I had a job sweeping floors and drilling holes in a machine shop the summer Platoon came out and a guy I worked with was a Vietnam veteran. I knew he'd watched Platoon and asked him what he thought. He just said "Yeah, that's how it was."

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Keith Atherton posted:

it just looks like a normal shot to me. Charlie Sheen isn't facing straight at the guy, he's faced off to the left a little and looking at him out of the corner of his eye.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Lighting could be a factor, so the other actors head doesn't block the light source. I haven't seen the scene though so just going off experience.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

bows1 posted:

Lighting could be a factor, so the other actors head doesn't block the light source. I haven't seen the scene though so just going off experience.

This is what we are talking about. It looks to me like either Rhah is talking to somebody behind Chris' left shoulder, or he has a huge loving melon head.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
In End of Watch, Jake Gyllenhaal's character and his partner stop a guy in a truck, and he gives a 3 finger sign to another officer who shows up to the scene. A police helicopter flies over, and he gives them a 4 finger sign. Any idea what he's indicating? Thanks.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

socketwrencher posted:

In End of Watch, Jake Gyllenhaal's character and his partner stop a guy in a truck, and he gives a 3 finger sign to another officer who shows up to the scene. A police helicopter flies over, and he gives them a 4 finger sign. Any idea what he's indicating? Thanks.

Three fingers is LAPD Code 3 for emergency assistance required, four is Code 4 for no assistance required. The signals were also in the TV show Southland but they were keener to explain what they were doing there.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

This is what we are talking about. It looks to me like either Rhah is talking to somebody behind Chris' left shoulder, or he has a huge loving melon head.

Haven't seen it in a while but it also looks like sheen is just kind of ignoring him, looking at him out of the corner of his eye like a sullen teenager

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

GimpChimp posted:

Three fingers is LAPD Code 3 for emergency assistance required, four is Code 4 for no assistance required. The signals were also in the TV show Southland but they were keener to explain what they were doing there.

Thanks for this. Never saw Southland- would you recommend it? FWIW I loved End of Watch.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

socketwrencher posted:

Thanks for this. Never saw Southland- would you recommend it? FWIW I loved End of Watch.

I would actually say give it a try if you were into End of Watch, it's at its best doing similar street-cop / partner-dynamic stuff and takes the characters in some pretty interesting directions over the course of the series. Season one is mediocre and stumbles badly on the home life sideplots, but it's also only seven episodes, so if you find that alright you'll definitely enjoy what's down the line.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GimpChimp posted:

I would actually say give it a try if you were into End of Watch, it's at its best doing similar street-cop / partner-dynamic stuff and takes the characters in some pretty interesting directions over the course of the series. Season one is mediocre and stumbles badly on the home life sideplots, but it's also only seven episodes, so if you find that alright you'll definitely enjoy what's down the line.

Michael Cudlitz was great as gay pill-head cop. He was on Life as well and I could pretty much watch him in anythi—oh poo poo he's on Walking Dead now :barf:

e: spoilers just in case

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

GimpChimp posted:

Cheers, will check it out.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know it's fun to joke about how terrible it is, but is there an explanation from Nolan or anyone else involved justifying the creative choice for Bale's batman voice? That voice is loving BAD.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xcore posted:

I know it's fun to joke about how terrible it is, but is there an explanation from Nolan or anyone else involved justifying the creative choice for Bale's batman voice? That voice is loving BAD.

It was Wayne's way of "disguising" his voice since he was a minor celebrity in Gotham.

I think.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

syscall girl posted:

It was Wayne's way of "disguising" his voice since he was a minor celebrity in Gotham.

I think.

Bale just felt like the suit required a more animalistic performance and that it fit with Batman's penchant for the theatrical, so he did the voice during the audition and Nolan liked it. I'm not sure if Nolan has ever given his reasoning within the narrative.

I thought it worked okay when he was just barking short lines as the seldom speaking Bat, but when he started having full conversations it got dumb fast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there an alternate universe where "gritty" superhero movies that are supposed to be taken seriously don't explode in the 21st century? Where superhero stuff is just for children, and grown rear end people talking about it is kind of not okay? This is partially based on my disgust for the whole thing and actually being interested by stuff based on those posts about the 80's Batman being engineered as such a huge blockbuster. Is there a way that studios and such could have hosed up in the late 80's or the last 20 years that would have kept comic book stuff more confined to the world of children or weird nerds?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes; much of the 90s shift in consumer culture (which laid the foundation for what you're talking about) had to do with the perceived increase in the buying power of young teenage males and thus studios wanted to chase their money, which went not only to the films but to ancillary products (home video, toys, novelizations, comic books, video games, etc.) Superhero movies lend themselves easily to that kind of monetization. The grit-shift is probably both influenced by that hyper-analyzed market segment getting older and 9/11.

So if the Soviets won the Cold War and consumerism were suppressed, that would probably do it on all fronts

Edit: I mean, if you hung around old money and the literati, superhero movies would also probably not be "kind of not okay"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 24, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is there an alternate universe where "gritty" superhero movies that are supposed to be taken seriously don't explode in the 21st century? Where superhero stuff is just for children, and grown rear end people talking about it is kind of not okay? This is partially based on my disgust for the whole thing and actually being interested by stuff based on those posts about the 80's Batman being engineered as such a huge blockbuster. Is there a way that studios and such could have hosed up in the late 80's or the last 20 years that would have kept comic book stuff more confined to the world of children or weird nerds?

The world resisted this for a long time. The magical world of 1997 was a wonderful place where "comic book movie" meant the Dolf Lundgren Punisher, the Ronny Cox Captain America, and Joel Schumacher. It was x-Men and Spider-Man that legitimated comic movies, but maybe it was only a matter of time.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

cheerfullydrab posted:

Not really given that the whole reason it happened was that they perfected a business model that involved little to no risk. Luckily for you and me, the world of contemporary cinema is not all big-budget toys fighting toys. Just gotta go exploring.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

I really don't understand the hate for it. The whole premise of Nolan's Batman is that he is intimidating as gently caress and if that doesn't work he literally beat the loving poo poo out you and break your bones until you do what he wants. A bestial growl seems wholly appropriate, with the added fact that Batman seems fueled by rage half of the time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Snak posted:

I really don't understand the hate for it. The whole premise of Nolan's Batman is that he is intimidating as gently caress and if that doesn't work he literally beat the loving poo poo out you and break your bones until you do what he wants. A bestial growl seems wholly appropriate, with the added fact that Batman seems fueled by rage half of the time.

I think that's part of it though. The Batman that we've seen in other media will disguise his voice, or at the least change the way in which he speaks, but he's always collected and calm, even when intimidating someone. Intense, but focused. Batman isn't the guy who goes Beast Mode to scare the poo poo out of you. He can scare you by popping up out of no where and dropping a room full of armed goons just to single out one guy.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Batman's voice in the movies is trying, and somewhat suceeding, to be gruff and scary, but also ends up being goofy and dumb. Just like Batman himself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

amusinginquiry posted:

Batman's voice in the movies is trying, and somewhat suceeding, to be gruff and scary, but also ends up being goofy and dumb. Just like Batman himself.

That's what Bale was going for. He thinks Batman as a concept is really stupid and that's reflected in his performance because he gets into the mindset of someone who's doing this Batman poo poo and taking himself seriously. Such a person would not drop the dumb growly voice in casual conversation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't mind the Bale voice at all. It's a different interpretation from other performances, but I think it's an equally valid one.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

syscall girl posted:

I think.

People can call on all sorts of other anecdotes about Bale's choices or whatever but if he didn't do the voice nerds would be all "Uh how does nobody notice that it's just their friend Wayne talking from inside a batsuit"

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Zesty Mordant posted:

People can call on all sorts of other anecdotes about Bale's choices or whatever but if he didn't do the voice nerds would be all "Uh how does nobody notice that it's just their friend Wayne talking from inside a batsuit"

No you just need an actual actor

edit: also that voice actor did it in the batman cartoon and it was just different enough without being hilarious. You could tell it wasn't just a split personality it was like Bruce was his fake image and batman was where he felt comfortable.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 25, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snak posted:

Even if you buy into it, he gets pretty mushmouthed when he speaks quickly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Even if you buy into it, he gets pretty mushmouthed when he speaks quickly.

Yeah, but that's like, what happens when you try to talk like that.

I guess I'm just glad they went the route they did. Can you imagine if Batman used a voice changer? He would sound like SAW...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

Yeah, but that's like, what happens when you try to talk like that.

I guess I'm just glad they went the route they did. Can you imagine if Batman used a voice changer? He would sound like SAW...

Should've used a voice changer.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is the Japanese remake of Unforgiven any good?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It's pretty. Seeing a sword version of the final gunfight is cool. It doesn't add anything over the original though, and it doesn't pack as much of a punch to the gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Probably one of the best examples of switching between the man and the hero. The change is subtle and yet not at the same time. Man he was great.