Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

clean ayers act posted:

Agreed, but I think they've also realized that races like the 2012 tour are not that fun to watch either. Hopefully we'll end up with some more balanced racing as a result, but in that brief window I think there's a real good chance Quintana wins a couple more GTs

Was 2012 the death year ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
I feel better about the times Porte has blown past me on local roads, every time he wins something.

Also without mile after mile of fat TT action Indurain would have less TdF's than Andy Schleck. Or Oscar Pereiro.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

clean ayers act posted:

Agreed, but I think they've also realized that races like the 2012 tour are not that fun to watch either. Hopefully we'll end up with some more balanced racing as a result, but in that brief window I think there's a real good chance Quintana wins a couple more GTs

No doubt, I think on his day there isn't a rider in the world capable of following Quintana up at mountain so even if they do bring back more Time Trials he will still win a few more GT's. My personal feeling is that I like varied stages that give different riders a chance that leads to exciting racing. At Paris Nice we had a great example of Kwiatkowski knowing he was going to get done in the following days TT so attacked like a madman on a downhill in the rain.

I just don't want to watch all the riders not attacking each other on a summit finish because theres 4 more days in a row of them.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Wow, both Van Avermaet and Sagan have won stages in the past week. Coming good for the classics, which is super exciting. Now Sep Vanmarcke needs to pick something up and we're gonna have a party.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hope Vanmarcke wins soon, i like that guy.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/ronde-van-zeeland-seaports-2015/results
Somewhat impressive, EQS has been somewhat reminiscent of a 2012/2013 Team Sky.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Ugh why do I always stay up and think I'll watch the beginning of the big classics when the footage doesn't start for like three hours after the race begins.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Few nasty crashes there :(

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Whole lotta crashin'

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Canc must feel good with Arredondo working so hard.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Haha Greipel's in front of Nibali

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm liking these BMC tactics ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Jesus christ, Ciolek :stare:

e: that corner has one hell of a body count

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Aww crushed for Stybar.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss!!!!!!!!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Was out cycling all day. Worth watching a replay?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Only worth watching the last hour at most, was exciting seeing the numerous attacks shoot off. If you already know the result it may lack some of the charm.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Gerriant Thomas looks really strong and he should stop towing everyone around all day.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Gerriant Thomas looks really strong and he should stop towing everyone around all day.

Hes not got the mentality to be a proper contender though. He always buckles under pressure and crashes.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

serious gaylord posted:

Was out cycling all day. Worth watching a replay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d32gMGV8JY

Watch this unless you have something better. MSR is always worth a watch. It's just so fast.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Paddyb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d32gMGV8JY

Watch this unless you have something better. MSR is always worth a watch. It's just so fast.

Here's the last hour with English commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ncklPlKH8

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I hope that was mud on Juul Jensons face :stare:

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

I hope that was mud on Juul Jensons face :stare:

Nope: https://twitter.com/JensenJuul/status/579720573120585728

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think he took hitting the wall a bit too literally.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Ciolek Smash!

https://twitter.com/Cyclocosm/status/579677398007840769/photo/1

Also, poor Stybar. I wanted to see him take a shot at this. :(

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Matthews finished surprisingly fast considering how badly he was boxed in.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008

strangemusic posted:

Ciolek Smash!

https://twitter.com/Cyclocosm/status/579677398007840769/photo/1

Also, poor Stybar. I wanted to see him take a shot at this. :(

Oh man. That's exactly what I wanted to find.

He then grabbed his bike from Quickstep wannabe and had the rear wheel fall out. Then dragged the stays and derailleur on the ground, schlepping it to the team car. poo poo sucked.

Degenkolb won the drag race in the last 25 meters and still had time to sit up and celebrate. Good win.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Ive a suspicion Matthews may be a bit of a knob, but I reckon hes about where Sagan was 4 years or so ago. Hes quick enough outright to win some pure sprints, but also good enough over those middle range lumps to win things where most other sprinters get flicked off.

I dont know if OGE plan on running him on cobbles or more of the Ardennes side of things, or maybe neither. IDK, but I hes probably got a classic in him somewhere.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just watched MSR, not the best edition, but glad Cav was nowhere to be found at the end, at least his performances are staying realistic.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-check-36-milan-san-remo-bikes-for-motors

I find it very funny that they keep checking for these.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Cav:

“I wasn't able to close the gap before the top of the Cipressa, so I sat there doing 650-700 watts for five kilometres, just to keep a twenty-metre gap. I got back on the descent, but it just cooked me. I was on my limit after that. You can't afford that on the top of Cipressa when you are a sprinter. It just cooked me. I wasn't able to keep moving up,” he explained.

Heheh...ehheheheh...goddamn pros.

Also, he said his chain fell off. Again. What the hell is going on with Quickstep's mechanics?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

borapt posted:

Also, he said his chain fell off. Again. What the hell is going on with Quickstep's mechanics?

Have you ever tried to get a dutchman to take something seriously.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Is it the dutchmen, or the FSA groupset?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Xir posted:

Is it the dutchmen, or the FSA groupset?

They're on FSA Gruppo?

eeeewwww.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Twice hes had his chain dumped onto his cranks because of a dodgy FD.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He should get some proper ones rather than the casual bullshit he's obviously using.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Oleg Tinkov has fired Bjarne Riis as director of Tinkoff-Saxo, citing the team's poor performance. The disappointment of missing out on the podium at Milan - San Remo was presumably the last straw.

COINCIDENTALLY the long-awaited Danish Anti-Doping Agency report is expected to be released next week.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Jamsque posted:

Oleg Tinkov has fired Bjarne Riis as director of Tinkoff-Saxo, citing the team's poor performance. The disappointment of missing out on the podium at Milan - San Remo was presumably the last straw.

COINCIDENTALLY the long-awaited Danish Anti-Doping Agency report is expected to be released next week.

*tents fingers in Mr. Burns "excellent" posture*

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can we just take this moment to laugh at Tinkoff Saxo and Team Sky for letting 3 breakaway riders win stage 1 with a 2 and a half minute gap of the Volta a Catalunya. One of said riders was Pierre Roland who will not get dropped that easily on the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Can we just take this moment to laugh at Tinkoff Saxo and Team Sky for letting 3 breakaway riders win stage 1 with a 2 and a half minute gap of the Volta a Catalunya. One of said riders was Pierre Roland who will not get dropped that easily on the mountains.

Froome tweeted that the peloton wasn't being given accurate time gaps, Catalunya has been a pretty disorganized event in the past so it seems plausible. Hopefully it makes for interesting racing in the rest of the stages.