Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Depends on how much you like paperwork, I guess. You'll likely rarely have trouble finding class A or B work if that's what you're thinking of doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

You'll always have work

Career progression is awesome (they will throw you on your QLs ASAP)

If you're a guy, be prepared to be looked down at by combat arms troops.
(At least that was my experience, you get very little respect even if you were combat arms before and were forced to switch trades)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Simkin posted:

Depends on how much you like paperwork, I guess. You'll likely rarely have trouble finding class A or B work if that's what you're thinking of doing.

MA-Horus posted:

You'll always have work

Career progression is awesome (they will throw you on your QLs ASAP)

If you're a guy, be prepared to be looked down at by combat arms troops.
(At least that was my experience, you get very little respect even if you were combat arms before and were forced to switch trades)

I don't mind too much, just thinking offhandedly if it would give a good career skill set for civilian work.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Chillyrabbit posted:

I don't mind too much, just thinking offhandedly if it would give a good career skill set for civilian work.

If that's your goal, become a hull or HVAC tech.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Chillyrabbit posted:

If you can somehow get a SAP cert and a TS rating, maybe.

Otherwise you're an office goon. Push dem papers.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

flakeloaf posted:

If that's your goal, become a hull or HVAC tech.

MA-Horus posted:

If you can somehow get a SAP cert and a TS rating, maybe.

Otherwise you're an office goon. Push dem papers.

Just thinking offhandedly because I'm already in school for engineering and I'm 90% sure engineering in the canadian forces is not really alike to the engineering I've learned in school, doing administrative stuff seems to be useful if I wanted to try my hand at a sole proprietorship for engineering.

Thoth!
Apr 28, 2014
So, Wainwright. I'm a few weeks from graduating bmq and that's where I'm being sent for my infantry training. How hosed am I?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It's Alberta, so it may end up being bitterly cold, or 15 degrees, depends on the time of day, ha. Expect the training to be a lot more physically and mentally demanding than BMQ - more of the sort of thing that you might expect from watching endless repeats of Platoon or Full Metal Jacket (with a bit less shouting). Wainwright, the town, is not all that exciting, there's a few watering holes, a wally world, a tims, and a canex. The on base gym is alright if a bit small. There's a shitton of land to go and get lost in, and much of the terrain won't be terribly visible on a contour map, because it's less than 10m deviation. Expect to be cold, tired/exhausted, and just don't loving give up. The DP1 Infantry course I ran, I think I only failed one person for training reasons, the rest either quit or were injured off. Learn from your staff, learn from fellow course mates, and have fun. You won't get a chance to do that much concentrated infantry training once getting to Bn, unless you go right onto workup training.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
It will be crazy busy on base since Maple Resolve start in a couple weeks. Food is not that bad and the Jr Rank is nice too. Have fun!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What's all this about Reservists getting the same Health and Death benefits as Reg Force guys?

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/03/13/reserve-veterans-to-get-same-access-to-benefits-as-full-time-forces-veterans.html

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It says something about "Reserve Force Veterans", which is making me think it's only for reservists who deployed overseas.

It says it also applies for dependents of those members who died overseas.

I don't think it applies so much for currently-serving reservists, just "veterans". AKA those with time on deployment.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
what is this reserve force restructuring they are talking about? If it means things like amalgamating 6 under-strength regiments into 1 actual regiment, I'm all for it. That's 5 less Lt.Cols and CWOs trying to justify their piece of the budget pie.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Barrakketh posted:

what is this reserve force restructuring they are talking about? If it means things like amalgamating 6 under-strength regiments into 1 actual regiment, I'm all for it. That's 5 less Lt.Cols and CWOs trying to justify their piece of the budget pie.

holy poo poo, this.

There are plenty of units that barely parade a Platoon yet have the administrative overhead of a Battalion for christsakes. I don't understand why a "Regiment" with less than a hundred serving members on paper (with 20-30 actually parading, and 10-20 actually going out on exercises) need a full-time Lt. Col to be the CO, multiple Captains, Adjutant, etc.

I'm all for amalgamating all units within a province to single units like the Engineers did in BC, and just have seperate Companies in each city.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regimental mafias are pretty strong in the Reserve world. Even the 42nd Highland-Air Defense-Field Artillery Regiment has managed to hang on despite 1) Being re-roled 3 times 2) Not being able to operate independently 3) Not being able to keep their guns in their own armories. Seeing as they're right outside Petawawa, you'd think they'd be a Reserve Battery of 2 RCHA, but they have their own LCol, Adjt, etc.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Melian Dialogue posted:

holy poo poo, this.

There are plenty of units that barely parade a Platoon yet have the administrative overhead of a Battalion for christsakes. I don't understand why a "Regiment" with less than a hundred serving members on paper (with 20-30 actually parading, and 10-20 actually going out on exercises) need a full-time Lt. Col to be the CO, multiple Captains, Adjutant, etc.

I'm all for amalgamating all units within a province to single units like the Engineers did in BC, and just have seperate Companies in each city.

38 Sig Rgt is all the signals units (read: Sqns) between TBay and the AB border. It makes mess dinners a hassle, but at least we have low overhead. More money for fixing LSVWs~

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
Just had the joy of seeing Oromocto for the first time ever. Hahaha, holy poo poo, you army guys.

Consider this to be an open invitation for an apologetic whiskey if you're ever through Victoria.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sir John Eh posted:

Just had the joy of seeing Oromocto for the first time ever. Hahaha, holy poo poo, you army guys.

Consider this to be an open invitation for an apologetic whiskey if you're ever through Victoria.

That's one of the better army bases. Close to things.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So, given that my background check finally completed recently (why the gently caress is that contracted out to Garda, it took forever :psyduck: ) and April is looming dead ahead, should I expect to hear back in November or 2016?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

why the gently caress is that contracted out

Welcome to the CF!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Welcome to the CF!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So, given that my background check finally completed recently (why the gently caress is that contracted out to Garda, it took forever :psyduck: ) and April is looming dead ahead, should I expect to hear back in November or 2016?

Unless the recruiting centre you're working with is a bunch of dogfuckers busy people with other important things to do, or you owed the Mafia a lot of money and led a life of crime, the background check is usually the major bottleneck.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm swearing in this week. I'm elated! I'm terrified! I've read this thread for years, and soon I'll get to bitch about things just like all y'all.

Canadian Forces thread, I'll try not to be a shitbird worth bitching about here.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Why are you joining a peacetime army?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Service guarantees citizenship.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It won't be peacetime for long if Putin and ISIS have their way.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Peacetime army is pretty terrible.

Wartime army had money at least.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Vadoc posted:

It won't be peacetime for long if Putin and ISIS have their way.

You mean if Harper has his way.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Why are you joining a peacetime army?

I'll learn a technical trade without going further into debt to do so. That's a pretty great incentive, peacetime or not.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You know there is a trades program through EI that only makes you pay 20% of the cost for your trade schooling, covers you every time you need to go back to school to advance in your trade and doesn't require you to give up three years of your life to be miserable?

I did it, because unlike the US, once you're out the government ain't helpin you with poo poo.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You mean if Harper has his way.

Or we just all finally die in a Nuclear Holocaust from a Russian first strike.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Vadoc posted:

Or we just all finally die in a Nuclear Holocaust from a Russian first strike.

Obviously that's what Harper wants. I mean he's only one man, he can only do so much to gently caress up this great country of ours.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Getting a red seal qualification out of the army is a good way to go I think, and it is a pretty life changing experience. Peacetime army is only really bad for combat arms. The pay is pretty decent too, especially if you're posted to place with high PLD. I probably would've OT'd to AVN Tech if OT's didn't take years to get of the ground. What trade are you going for?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Avionics. It seems cool and interesting. I like knowing how things work and have always liked working with my hands, so it should be a good fit for me.

The money's pretty nice, too.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
That's wicked man. Avionics is spec pay too once you're qualified in the trade.

Keep in mind your first year in the military is going to be super lovely and you're not going to make any money. I remember getting my first paycheck after 4 weeks of basic and getting like $600. Once you get some time in and get your journeyman course (its called QL5) you'll be rolling around on that sweet sweet spec pay. If you get down because basic is lovely just know that once you get to the air force everything will dial right back and seem a lot more normal.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
If you're AVS, you'll be posted to Borden, ON until there are slots available for POET (performance oriented electronics training) in Kingston, ON. Once you are put onto a course, you will be sent there for several months. Then you'll return to Borden to do your tools training and QL3s, and then posted out to a wing. Good luck!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 16, 2017

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Got an IC for having garbage bags in my garbage can. God bless peacetime army.

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

Attire Irony posted:

Got an IC for having garbage bags in my garbage can. God bless peacetime army.

I take it you're in the training system? God bless stupid school bullshit.

I'd say it gets better but really it's petty bullshit the whole way down, just different petty bullshit.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yup. Anything that makes tiny minds short circuit will be a source of misery for you. Used a word I don't understand? Did a clever thing I never would have thought of? Looked stupid doing that stupid thing I just told you to do? Get in here, don't bring your hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Please tell me life gets better after PLQ.