Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Terper posted:

I'm playing Final Fantasy 7.

It's Good.

people often quote "the planet is dyin', Cloud" but the next line is "All I care about is finishing this job before the Robo Guards come" which is pretty lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Why the hell is Legend of Kay getting a 10th year super mega deluxe anniversary re-release? The game was worse than Kya:Dark Lineage.

Not only that who the hell remembers Legend of Kay...I mean other than me because it really stood out as being a tedious bad game. Like you might as well Lionize Superman 64 or some poo poo because at least people have heard of that game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Kins posted:

It's pretty good, but age has definitely not been kind to it.

Models, maybe, but these backgrounds are loving nuts.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
backgrounds were all modeled at a much higher polygon count than the character models. The Final Fantasy 9 backgrounds have incredible amounts of detailed before the rendering resolution decreased their quality.

Like if Square ever wants to do an HD re-release they could just have a 3rd person camera for Final Fantasy 9 because all those enviroments were fully built and could be used as such with minimal changes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

backgrounds were all modeled at a much higher polygon count than the character models. The Final Fantasy 9 backgrounds have incredible amounts of detailed before the rendering resolution decreased their quality.

Like if Square ever wants to do an HD re-release they could just have a 3rd person camera for Final Fantasy 9 because all those enviroments were fully built and could be used as such with minimal changes.
That'd require them to still have the original development data, and frankly, PS1-era Square doesn't have a good track record on that. The English version of one of the PS1 Chocobo games had to be cancelled when they realized that the dev team had wiped their computers at the end of the project to make way for new work, and the only surviving copy of the source code was very old and unfinished.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
They were probably slightly more careful with Final Fantasy games than they were with some chocobo dungeon game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

square enix is a funny place

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I don't know about Final Fantasy but I'm playing Threads of Fate for the PS1 and it's pretty good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Colonel posted:

I don't know about Final Fantasy but I'm playing Threads of Fate for the PS1 and it's pretty good.
It's basically a shittier Brave Fencer Musashi, but Musashi was really good so it's okay.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
My controversial opinion is that I kind of like it more than Brave Fencer Musashi.

But really it doesn't matter because Nayuta no Kiseki and Gurumin are better than both of them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

They were probably slightly more careful with Final Fantasy games than they were with some chocobo dungeon game
Only slightly - FF7 and 8 were coded in such a way that the translators weren't able to use spellcheckers. This article's worth a read.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shinra just dropped the plate. hosed up.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it is very funny to me that atelier shallie has better voice acting on a smaller budget than type 0 hd

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

FF7 is sick nasty but man does that game screech to a halt the moment you fly out of Midgar on your motorcycle

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wonder if Square Enix is scared of remaking FF7 because they know they'll gently caress it up, or if they're just keeping that in their back pocket for when their numbers start going really bad.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Like that whole scene where you climb the Shinra building and you're sneaking through and poo poo goes down and you meet Red XIII and then you rush out on the motorcycle is awesome, but man, the game just goes from 0 to 100 on the anime scale when you hit Kalm and Cloud goes and emos out about his past, even Barrett can't stand that loving story and complains. FF7's good when it's good but man does it just have some serious spikes of anime any time Sephiroth decides to show up. It's like a game about wanting to kill anime and everything that's wrong with it, as Sephiroth is the pure embodiment of anime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it's really weird that FF7 is the game that tries to make its villain into a big tragic figure, since Sephiroth's motivations are really poor. He basically found out he's grown in a lab and his reaction is to murder everyone forever. When you see the horrible aftermath of him beating you to the Shinra HQ you get the idea he's a dangerous motherfucker with a serious grudge against them, but nope, he's just an idiot whiny anime man.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gay skull posted:

Like that whole scene where you climb the Shinra building and you're sneaking through and poo poo goes down and you meet Red XIII and then you rush out on the motorcycle is awesome, but man, the game just goes from 0 to 100 on the anime scale when you hit Kalm and Cloud goes and emos out about his past, even Barrett can't stand that loving story and complains. FF7's good when it's good but man does it just have some serious spikes of anime any time Sephiroth decides to show up. It's like a game about wanting to kill anime and everything that's wrong with it, as Sephiroth is the pure embodiment of anime.

What? A game made in Japan has anime influences in it!? Goddamit! :argh:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That's why Kefka's great, he's such an loathsome unapologetic rear end in a top hat that'll do anything to worm his way into power. He's a good balance of being a seemingly goofy buffoon and a serious threat as well.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 22, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Japanese RPG made predominantly for teens features heavy anime influence, news at eleven.

EDIT: Also note that Squaresoft practically handed itself on a platter to Enix back when they decided to blow their entire budget on a CG nerd movie. They are not known for making sound business decisions.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 22, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

That's why Kefka's great, he's such an loathsome unapologetic rear end in a top hat that'll do anything to worm his way into power. He's the kind of villain that seemingly looks like an incompetent buffoon but he'll stab you in the back and crack wise about it the moment your back is turned.
Kefka's amazing because he's the scenery-chewing villain it what is basically an opera. It's why Kuja and Garland don't work as well in FF9. The game's designed to be theatrical but Kuja doesn't get developed until too late and doesn't get a really great scene. And Garland is, again, too late an addition. They both need a big loud moment to be crazy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

Kefka's amazing because he's the scenery-chewing villain it what is basically an opera. It's why Kuja and Garland don't work as well in FF9. The game's designed to be theatrical but Kuja doesn't get developed until too late and doesn't get a really great scene. And Garland is, again, too late an addition. They both need a big loud moment to be crazy.
Yeah, its also neat how Kefka develops as a villain throughout the whole game. He starts off a goofy incompetent that the main cast just makes a fool of again and again, but then when he murders the people of Domah you realize that he was just putting on a facade and he wants people to think he's a moron. And then as the game goes on he's constantly clawing his way to the top to the point where backstabs the Emperor and becomes the main villain. You really don't get that much in video games, especially in Final Fantasies where the villains are pretty much non-entities or barely appear until the end of the game.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I didn't complete FF9 so as a result I've always thought of Kuja as just a big girly rear end in a top hat who's just kinda there because the game needed a fresh rear end in a top hat and no other reason, really

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gay skull posted:

I didn't complete FF9 so as a result I've always thought of Kuja as just a big girly rear end in a top hat who's just kinda there because the game needed a fresh rear end in a top hat and no other reason, really
He's got some cool scenes on Disc 3 but the party spends too much time chasing him and too little time encountering him.

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

Matthew Matosis's latest review is out, this time covering Super Mario 3D World:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D-geFXZiZk

His entire 3D Mario series is fantastic. If you love in-depth discussions of game design, his videos are a joy to watch. Start from the first, Super Mario 64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S6myWz3Kzg

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Garland's introduction at the start of Disc 3 is fantastic, he has a great imposing theme tune and blows up a city with a freaky spaceship eye; he doesn't get a ton of screen time but when he turns up it is generally pretty great. I agree Kuja doesn't get a 'don't mess with this guy' scene soon enough though, his power up and limit break is pretty cool but that's practically at the end of the game.

I don't think it hurt things too much though, he ends up being a pretty strong villain and strikes a good balance between being a huge dick and having a coherent, if not sympathetic motive. I mean no one ever complains about Armstrong's last minute introduction in MGR because when he does turn up it's golden, similarly I thought Branhe and Garland did carry the plot pretty well until Kuja wigs out

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Don't get me wrong, FF9 is still my favorite in the series. Kefka is just their best villain.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
As JRPG villains go Lavos was cool in the sense of being an ever-present, looming and alien threat. Also the whole storming The Black Omen is like one of the most climatic feeling endings I've played in a game. Chrono Trigger's writing ain't mindblowing at all but they really managed to make it feel like a fun grand adventure that I don't feel a lot of games successfully capture.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 22, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Nick posted:

Matthew Matosis's latest review is out, this time covering Super Mario 3D World:

His entire 3D Mario series is fantastic. If you love in-depth discussions of game design, his videos are a joy to watch. Start from the first, Super Mario 64:

Mario 3d World is one of the glitchiest games released. You can screw stuff up royally and easily send your guy flying off the stage itself.

Like it's not Sonic 06 bad, but it's at least bethesda bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Nick posted:

I like his reviews but I don't like people who get their opinions from them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Mario 3d World is one of the glitchiest games released. You can screw stuff up royally and easily send your guy flying off the stage itself.

Like it's not Sonic 06 bad, but it's at least bethesda bad.

Stop jumping off the edge

Lurdiak posted:

I like his reviews but I don't like people who get their opinions from them.

Do people actually do this? I like his stuff too but he's kind of a goofy sperg too, I imagine he'd admit as much himself

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

As JRPG villains go Lavos was cool in the sense of being an ever-present, looming and alien threat. Also the whole storming The Black Omen is like one of the most climatic feeling endings I've played in a game. Chrono Trigger's writing ain't mindblowing at all but they really managed to make it feel like a fun grand adventure that I don't feel a lot of games successfully capture.

Yeah Chrono Trigger's probably one of the all time greats for scenario design, and it does a much better job of being a lighthearted 90s anime than most do at being a racism allegory or examination of the human consciousness or whatever

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Do people actually do this? I like his stuff too but he's kind of a goofy sperg too, I imagine he'd admit as much himself

Try and have a discussion online about Dark Souls II sometime.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Stop jumping off the edge

If you pick up turtle shells in a certain frantic way they will rocket your character backwards. There's also the screen smearing that happens where the game freezes and your character frames will spread across the screen. It's not a hard game to inadvertently wind up out of bounds.

Granted it's mostly multiplayer that causes people to move at a faster more chaotic pace, so if you just played single player you probably were not fighting with each other which usually lead to glitch incidents.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Oh no, these videos must be the single specific thing ruining the otherwise productive Dark Souls discussion.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
did i ever tell you the definition of Dark Souls

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dork Souls.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks, but no thanks!

The Taint Reaper posted:

If you pick up turtle shells in a certain frantic way they will rocket your character backwards. There's also the screen smearing that happens where the game freezes and your character frames will spread across the screen. It's not a hard game to inadvertently wind up out of bounds.

Granted it's mostly multiplayer that causes people to move at a faster more chaotic pace, so if you just played single player you probably were not fighting with each other which usually lead to glitch incidents.

Huh, you're the only person I've ever heard of having problems with that. I completed it twice and goofed around with friends a fair bit and never saw a single bug

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dark Souls 2 is a good game, but it is not my messiah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really like the Souls games, I just wish there was more of a focus on boss battles instead of fighting every single enemy that exists.

• Locked thread