Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Alright I was goofing around last night, picked up fire magic and thankfully the vendor had fire dust used. But in picking up skills just to have them I picked up surveying. How does it work because the way I understand it is you level up making surveying maps and the maps require the Redwall Crystal that you get from surveying. I probably misunderstood something along the way and just need some guidance.

Also is there another tier of animal I can get in animal handling before cats at 20? Or am I just stuck with a rat until then.

Fire salt's not too bad, but I need sulfur for my spells now and that one's a bit of a bitch - apparently the easiest place to get it is a level 40 dungeon - buuut you need it for 20/25 spells and cows in eltibule drop it once in a blue moon, so I've killed like 50 cows and gotten all of two sulfur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why do cows drop brimstone?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

because cows fart a lot

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

glug posted:

Spreadsheet doesn't have toolcrafting, but I'm at 42 I think, and I'll max it out tonight, especially if someone is around that has space to sell crap to Yetta for me, cause I've tapped out anyone that buys the item I'm grinding.

That means I can get folks Organ Knives (5% chance of organs when butchering), +5 autopsy later on, and +10 skinning knives um.. after I hit 50 and then decide to raise HAMMER to 30. So.. +8 skinning knives for a bit.

I'm sure there's a lot of useful stuff a high level crafter can make, but unfortunately due to the way the wiki/crafting works I honestly have no clue what to even ask for, beyond that +10 skinning knife. I'd sell to Yetta for you but I've grinded zero favor with her so she'd give a terrible price.

I really wish there was a clan chat.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Toolcrafting allows access to Quality Spring Fairy gear at 50, for which the stats, iirc, are nature resistance and something else, I think. It's fairly nice stuff. As well, I believe it is responsible for all single-skill belts, animal-specific armors; and obviously all tools. It's kind of a catch-all skill and I'm pretty glad Glug picked it up.

Also, if you need fire dust, sulfur, or saltpeter, just contact LatinaPrincess in game.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
PIcked it up my rear end - I sperged it. I've got to go buy my last stack of metal and I'm 50, and I also have your cash on me. Life is good. Back to hitting 25 in BC/FM.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I have run into the problem I usually end up with in these kinds of games. With the ability to do everything I instinctively want to do it all. Also those slugs under the crystal are jerks, glad there is no death penalty that I know of in this game.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I have run into the problem I usually end up with in these kinds of games. With the ability to do everything I instinctively want to do it all. Also those slugs under the crystal are jerks, glad there is no death penalty that I know of in this game.

It's odd how they come zooming in from further in the cave to kick your teeth in isn't it. I found it safest to pull them back toward the entrance, it seems to avoid them piling on indefinitely.

Hatrack
Sep 29, 2008
Saw this thread and decided to check out this game. In as HatRack,; have no real idea what I'm doing but I like running around with my Giant Rat friend murdering everything I see.

I just got fire magic at the town/city outside the tutorial cave but other than that I'm pretty clueless as to what I should be doing.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Ratzap posted:

It's odd how they come zooming in from further in the cave to kick your teeth in isn't it. I found it safest to pull them back toward the entrance, it seems to avoid them piling on indefinitely.

Not only that but that the poison stacks so quickly that it's hard to react, next time I'll be taking a ton of anti venom's with me and hope it helps.

Also I know I asked this already but didn't see a reply am I stuck with a Giant or Sewer Rat until I hit AH 20 or is there some other skill that would let me grab some other creature ie Spider or Wolf cause my rat can't stay alive if he gets any kind of hate, and yes I have been leveling him up at the stable.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
You may be charting into unknown waters with regard to animal handling. I don't know any other goons who are messing with it, and personally I hate pets. All I can tell you is that you pick up cat training at AH 20 in south eastern Eltibule.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

wtsnaename posted:

You may be charting into unknown waters with regard to animal handling. I don't know any other goons who are messing with it, and personally I hate pets. All I can tell you is that you pick up cat training at AH 20 in south eastern Eltibule.

Alrighty then, guess I'll try to figure out as much as possible on my own. Only reason I went down Animal Handling was because there seems to be nothing else to pair Fire Magic with without getting to Necromancy or Staff Training early. Maybe Battle Chemistry, but I guess now I have some things to test tonight when I get home.

Also my in game name is VisualPine.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
To my knowledge there are only rats and cats in-game at the moment.

If you're looking for something to go with fire magic and don't actually like animal handling that much, psychology or mentalism are really incredible support skills to go with the DPS of your choice. They both do roughly the same stuff, but psych seems to lean a little more towards crowd/rage control and mentalism has more buffs and heals. Mentalism's Psi Power Wave is a big hit at parties.

My pig main switches between animal handling, psych, and mentalism as secondary, I like all three depending on what I need at the moment.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Alrighty then, guess I'll try to figure out as much as possible on my own. Only reason I went down Animal Handling was because there seems to be nothing else to pair Fire Magic with without getting to Necromancy or Staff Training early. Maybe Battle Chemistry, but I guess now I have some things to test tonight when I get home.

As a fire mage myself, Mentalism has heals and power restores, necromancy has an immobilize that doesn't break on damage (really powerful for melee enemies), a heal, and pets, battle chemistry has +power regeneration in combat, +sprint speed, and apparently an aoe slow, as well as golem pets, psychology has a sleep, a rage wipe, an aoe fear, and a heal, druid has some very powerful -damage and +damage taken debuffs as well as powerful healing, deer pets, and bird form to fly.

If you want druid I can show you where the altar is, and I was ran to the necromancy altar myself so I'm sure one of us can manage to do the same for you, though it's too tough for me solo.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I can guide the way to necro altar in my sleep basically If anyone needs. Also I'm finding mentalism a stronger choice than druid to pair with fire magic, but I have a feeling battle chemistry may be even better. Necromancy may leave you pretty power drained; which is my current problem with druid. Also, the great strength in its root can be replicated fairly well with the frostball slow, which stacks to 99.9%, apparently.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I just did Fire/BC to 25 so I could do BC+Archery(50). Fire/BC is great, because BC pretty much starts out with 3 pbaoe's to go with fire's aoes and good direct damage stuff. It's pretty ugly. Blast the fire bolts that hit everyone, when they gather drop 3 BC things, one hits armor, the other two burn the flesh or somesuch, and then mop up.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Not only that but that the poison stacks so quickly that it's hard to react, next time I'll be taking a ton of anti venom's with me and hope it helps.

Also I know I asked this already but didn't see a reply am I stuck with a Giant or Sewer Rat until I hit AH 20 or is there some other skill that would let me grab some other creature ie Spider or Wolf cause my rat can't stay alive if he gets any kind of hate, and yes I have been leveling him up at the stable.

Ah, the other trick for the slugs is knockback - use it and they apply way fewer stacks. Keep backing up if you can too.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

glug posted:

I just did Fire/BC to 25 so I could do BC+Archery(50). Fire/BC is great, because BC pretty much starts out with 3 pbaoe's to go with fire's aoes and good direct damage stuff. It's pretty ugly. Blast the fire bolts that hit everyone, when they gather drop 3 BC things, one hits armor, the other two burn the flesh or somesuch, and then mop up.

Ok I'm going to ask a stupid question how do you use both BC and Fire. Because every time I try to equip a staff and a beaker they overwrite each other.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've seen BC combo staffs, beaker on a stick or something like that. Does Hogan sell them?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Ok I'm going to ask a stupid question how do you use both BC and Fire. Because every time I try to equip a staff and a beaker they overwrite each other.

When BC was updated a little while back, they made two items, beakers and flasks. One is for main hand, one is for offhand. You just use the appropriate one. Go to the trainer, go to buy equipment, hover over each item and see which wielded item it's going to replace.

Bingo.

auzuguwu
Oct 30, 2011
I am in as Aufufu, im in need of sulfur and salt peter for FIremage skills

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

auzuguwu posted:

I am in as Aufufu, im in need of sulfur and salt peter for FIremage skills

Kur Tower decent place for both, but it's a bit dangerous without good fire mage gear/a friend, so I can show you how to get there if I catch you in game.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Messin around in this game as lewtt. This game is a weird gem, and the developer is the best kind of whacko. Also got an unpiggy potion, if anyone feels messing around being a pig.

lewtt fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 25, 2015

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Sup dude. Yes, this developer is the best kind of wacko, and the game is fantastic. Best to gift that potion to Velwhatever, the firemage guy in town, he loves potions and it's worth a bit. They'll drop often enough.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

So...how do I actually make an account for this game?

I made a character as a 'guest', but I can't find where I can actually transition this dude to an account so I don't lose him.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kevlar Beard posted:

So...how do I actually make an account for this game?

I made a character as a 'guest', but I can't find where I can actually transition this dude to an account so I don't lose him.

When you complete the tutorial it'll say "hey you wanna thing" and you just say "yeah I'll thing"

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

When you complete the tutorial it'll say "hey you wanna thing" and you just say "yeah I'll thing"

Alright man, I guess I'll do a 'thing' sometime later tonight.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Kevlar Beard posted:

Alright man, I guess I'll do a 'thing' sometime later tonight.

alternatively, click the exclamation point icon on the right sidebar. That should let you set up an account

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

I don't understand what this game is.

Is there like, a guide somewhere? I equipped a shield, but I don't have any shield skills, I bought an axe and got some oak, but I kind of want to kill things.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kevlar Beard posted:

Is there like, a guide somewhere? I equipped a shield, but I don't have any shield skills, I bought an axe and got some oak, but I kind of want to kill things.

http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Skills

Equipping gear to get the full skillset for it only happens in a couple scripted events during the tutorial (Archery and Sword). The full Shield skillset comes from getting favor with a dude in the tutorial cave. :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

There are also some skills that you unlock by doing NPC quests. But yeah, if something is confusing you can always peek at the wiki or ask in global chat.

The game is pretty well designed in an old-school RPG sense though. So sometimes I refuse to read guides and just go exploring to find what I can find :)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Here are all the combat skills and how you get them, generally ordered from hardest to easiest:

Unarmed - You have it by default.
Sword - You learn it by removing the sword from the corpse at the beginning of the tutorial cave.
Archery - You learn it by retrieving the bow from the dilapitated chest in the tutorial cave. It's near an alchemy book.
Cow - You learn it by becoming a cow and can only use it in cow form. The easiest way to become a cow is to have the cow boss in the tutorial cave use her rage ability on you.
Psychology - You learn it from the book in the starting room of the tutorial cave. You can gain access to the book by crafting Pick-Me-Up juice with the recipe and components found elsewhere in the cave and giving it to the guy in the starting room.
Fire Magic - You can learn it from Velkort in Serbule Keep by talking with him.
Battle Chemistry - There is a test NPC near Marna in Serbule Keep that allows you to grab it immediately. In the future, the ability will require a high Alchemy score.
Pig - You learn it by becoming a pig and can only use it in pig form. The easiest way to become pig is to grind a Pig Juice potion off pigs in Serbule and use it.
Animal Handling - You can learn it from a shrine outside the Serbule Crypt, in the southwest corner of the starting zone.
Lycanthropy - You learn it by completing the Wolf Trial for Harry the Wolf in Serbule Keep. You can only use it when you transform into a Wolf (you can do this whenever you want, and are forced to be a wolf during the full moon IRL). You can talk to Harry in another beast form or by grinding Comfortable favor with Rita also in Serbule Keep.
Mentalism - You can learn it from Echur in Serbule by doing all the chores he has for you, across a couple tiers. This includes grinding favor with the mantis Azalak on the northwest end of Serbule so that you can buy Cranium Powder.
Shield - You can learn it from Tyler Green in the higher-level area of the Tutorial Cave (don't attempt as a fresh character). You have to grind favor with him.
Staff - You learn it from Hogan in Hogan's Keep on the south end of Eltibule. A slight favor grind is necessary, nothing difficult or time-consuming.
Deer - You learn it by becoming a deer and can only use it in deer form. The easiest way to become a deer is to buy Deer Juice from Yetta in Eltibule Keep.
Necromancy - You learn it from the Necromancy shrine at the bottom of Serbule Crypt.
Spider - You learn it by becoming a spider and can only use it in spider form. You can become a spider by buying spider juice from the Strange Spider at the bottom of the Serbule Crypt.
Druid - You can learn it from a shrine on the north end of Sun Vale.
Hammer - You learn by grinding favor with Agrashab on the north end of Sun Vale.

In my experience, the best way to put together a build is to mix a damage skill with one that brings something else to the table. You can probably get away with an AOE skill + something else instead. That's just my experience, but here's what some different builds are good at (again, my opinion, and not 100% educated)-

Damage
Sword
Archery
Animal Handling
Necromancy?
Hammer

AOE
Battle Chemistry
Fire Magic

CC
Unarmed
Psychology
Staff
Shield

Utility
Mentalism
Druid

These aren't all 100%, most skills are a lot of one thing and a little bit of another. A LOT of gear procs for these skills also add some elements of another skill type to your existing skills, so you can sort of make a build out of a combination of skills + gear. For instance, I've got 4 procs for Many Cuts on my Sword gear right now that has a proc that doubles damage sometimes, one that stuns sometimes, one that knock backs and does extra damage sometimes, and one that turns it into an AOE all the time. I really like Many Cuts. The beast skills are generally hybrid skills to make up for the fact that they can't use a bunch of skills. There are also a couple skills that bring some tankiness & tauntability to bear. Does anyone else have good starter advice for choosing skills?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

You could learn a bunch of Psychology skills for free by talking Oritania in Eltibule out of her revenge quest. She was bugged for a while though, not sure if that still works.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
She was supposedly fixed in the last update but I did it, I killed them goblins. And I'm glad, see, glad!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

She was supposedly fixed in the last update but I did it, I killed them goblins. And I'm glad, see, glad!

Do you get anything as worthwhile as a bunch of free skills from killing them?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Surely not the satisfaction of turning her from a grim and bitter path.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
You don't even get any more conversation, she's loving depressed and wants magic to fix it. I want to paint her with goblin blood or pile goblin skull around her and see if that makes me..err.. her feel any better.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Perhaps a navel ring is the solution.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

30.5 Days posted:

Pig - You learn it by becoming a pig and can only use it in pig form. The easiest way to become pig is to grind a Pig Juice potion off pigs in Serbule and use it.

Technically you are correct in that this is the easiest, but it's also potentially very time-consuming. I used to grind pig-deaths like mad before the bacon recipe got nerfed, and I saw far more Un-Pig Juice drops than Pig Juice (if any Pig Juice at all, maybe one). The fastest and still fairly easy route to pigdom is to just drop 400 or so to buy one used, they show up at a lot of Serbule vendors.

30.5 Days posted:

Does anyone else have good starter advice for choosing skills?

Speaking of Pig, there don't seem to be many oinkers around compared to Cow (the more popular and easily gotten/cured comedy option) and Lycanthrope. My main is Pig though, and for anyone considering it and frustrated with the lack of info out there I'll say this: Pig seems designed for the players who like goofing around with noncombat utility type stuff. Pig gives bonuses to and gets bonuses from things like Foraging, Gardening, Mycology and Myconic, and then I think Foraging boosts Gardening and Gardening boosts Cooking and Mycology boosts Alchemy and basically bonuses left and right. I'm not sure Spider or Lycanthrope have any related skills like that, and as I recall Cow only has one.

You can also press a button every 30 seconds to attempt to spawn a mushroom harvest node in front of you. This goes by tiers: Truffle Sniff 1 either comes back with nothing or a Parasol mushroom, Truffle Sniff 2 comes back with nothing, a Parasol, or a Mycena, and so on. Because it's a normal harvest node and not just an item that pops into your inventory, you get Mycology+Myconic xp (and therefore Pig bonuses) along with the infinite mushrooms for crafting/quests/favor. (This button also gives piggies another advantage in gardening, because you can sit there spawning mushrooms and getting xp while you wait for your other plants to grow.) Because you'll be leveling Mycology at roughly the speed of sound, you'll also be able to put your mushrooms to use as some pretty sick Spore Bombs if you can spare the Strange Dirt from your gardening supplies and get your hands on some fish. My bombs do more base damage than my actual attacks right now.

Pig's actual skills are basically single-target attacks, an AOE fear, a damage buff and a damage resist buff, I think a brief but powerful speed buff, that sort of thing. You can also eat mushrooms to power your class heal. From what I hear Cow out-tanks us, but I consider Pig pretty fun and worthwhile if you're gathering/crafting-happy enough to really take advantage of everything it can do. :mrapig:

Also I haven't gotten the chance to really test it because I don't group often and haven't had a huge amount of playtime since the patch, but if I remember right pig has been tweaked to generate less aggro/rage and has a Harmlessness (aggro/rage?) reduction power I haven't unlocked yet.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Project Gorgon: The merits of being a pig