Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Clearly Rose is meant to be like Griffith, leading the Gem Homeworld in some new form, while Onion has been secretly protecting Earth all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
How would Steven wind up stranded along with Peridot? I mean it could happen but it seems like something convoluted would have to happen first

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shitenshi posted:

Clearly Rose is meant to be like Griffith, leading the Gem Homeworld in some new form, while Onion has been secretly protecting Earth all this time.

Is the Rose Quartz gem a behelit in this case? That sounds like an opportunity for some great horrific fanart.

Flying-PCP posted:

How would Steven wind up stranded along with Peridot? I mean it could happen but it seems like something convoluted would have to happen first

He's not stranded, he's hanging out with her on purpose 'cause he's curious about her and gem stuff so he went looking for her.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Well that's another question, how inclined will he be to keep trying to solve everything by talking people down from their bad intentions, after this? Of course it's clearly essential to his character but I could see him getting a bit lost on how to deal with homeworld gems when they're not actively attacking him or his friends. "Emperor's New Groove" just came to mind, for some reason. "I'm not going to help you get back to Homeworld unless you promise to build Gemtopia somewhere else."

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 22, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Meis posted:

loving feel ashamed of yourself.
Now you're the one being mean on the internet. You're making gemjesus cry.

You stay up for 23 hours and see how good you are at making sense, bucko.

Though it does bring to mind that Stevie is apparently the only 'male' gem we've seen (assuming you adhere to the Earthican gender binary).

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
So far we've only seen Beach City, random gem structures, and outer space.

If they ever get the chance to do a movie or something, I think Steven should take the Gems on a road trip. I want to see them be alien tourists.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Flying-PCP posted:

Well that's another question, how inclined will he be to keep trying to solve everything by talking people down from their bad intentions, after this? Of course it's clearly essential to his character but I could see him getting a bit lost on how to deal with homeworld gems when they're not actively attacking him or his friends. "Emperor's New Groove" just came to mind, for some reason. "I'm not going to help you get back to Homeworld unless you promise to build Gemtopia somewhere else."

Yeah I think that's very likely. Connie helped calm him down, but still, seeing how freaked out he was in Full Disclosure, I think there's been a bit of a fundamental shift somewhere in him. I gotta believe he's gonna mostly remain the same happy-go-lucky kid as always, but he's also lost a bit of innocence. "Everybody told me 'Gem Stuff's Dangerous'... I guess I didn't believe 'em. Until now."

It'd be really fun to have an(other) episode where the moms have to help him regain his joyous spirit.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good poo poo as usual

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

axleblaze posted:

Here, I made one without the CN logo because it was driving me nuts:

It's also framed slightly differently because there was no real reason to use the framing from the last one. This one is also a whole pixel by pixel bigger!

I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to get rid of the logo manually before realizing that her hand goes through it making it kind of useless to get rid of that way. Of course just making the image from the ground up rather than editing the original GIF took me roughly 1/10th the time it took me to try and figure out a good way to get rid of the logo.

You're the best! :3:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I'd have it loop through the slow and medium speeds more, but that probably would put it out of filesize range

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I'd have it loop through the slow and medium speeds more, but that probably would put it out of filesize range

I have a few versions with longer sections, but this was the best one I could manage with the size restriction.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Pearl is moving from your avatar to your quoted .gif and it's really freaking me out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

D1Sergo posted:

Pearl is moving from your avatar to your quoted .gif and it's really freaking me out.
It hosed me up too. Endless Pearls

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So the current fan theory I've seen going around is that Jasper is a fusion (I guess some kinda self hating fusion???), using the logic that she has extra limbs when she fused and apparently only fusions have pupils in their eyes, everyone else is just solid color.

Weird rando theory that probably means nothing (though Big Buff Cheeto Puff absolutely needs to return) but kinda interesting all the little details in the show that form 'rules' to some and all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So the current fan theory I've seen going around is that Jasper is a fusion (I guess some kinda self hating fusion???), using the logic that she has extra limbs when she fused and apparently only fusions have pupils in their eyes, everyone else is just solid color.

Weird rando theory that probably means nothing (though Big Buff Cheeto Puff absolutely needs to return) but kinda interesting all the little details in the show that form 'rules' to some and all.
This was discussed a while back, but the Rules thing feels like people trying to apply logic and reasoning this fantasy thing. Alexandrite only had two eyes and no pupils iirc. Opal had two eyes as well while Sugilite had five so what's going on there? Jasper being a fusion also doesn't make a whole lot of sense. She only had one gem that we saw and what two weapons are going to combine to make a Battle Pompadour Helmet.

This may be a bit too much digging, but in Stronger Than You, Garnet said many times that her two was better than Jasper's one and having Garnet be wrong in her big finale moment would be silly and kinda undermine the whole point of the song I think. Jasper being a fusion just feels like a twist for the sake of a twist and not actually adding anything. I like Jasper too and wanna see this Buff Mom come back and be a window to the other side of the Gem war.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 23, 2015

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Opal had extra limbs. I think Jasper can't be a fusion, not because of the rules of the show's universe, but because of some basic rules of writing that the show has followed. If you found out later that Jasper was definitely a fusion, and then went back later and watched Jailbreak, it wouldn't make the exchange more interesting, it would make it confusing and mess up the meaning of the dialogue. The point of the exchange in that episode is that Jasper doesn't care about relationships with other gems, and therefore lacks access to the power of that deep connection. This is what keeps fusion in this show from just being a ripoff of the DBZ plot device, they really do something with the concept instead of just having it be a way to get a higher power level.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

Moltrey posted:

It hosed me up too. Endless Pearls

e: Fixed

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 23, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I don't think Jasper is a fusion, but I like the idea that fusions become more "monstrous" when the gems who form them aren't emotionally in-sync.

It would explain how Garnet can be a fusion without extra arms or legs, and adds extra meaning to how excited she was by Steveonnie. She wasn't just excited to see Steven fuse like her, she was excited to see how in-sync Connie and Steven were.

It also fits with how crazy Malachite looked, because that was the most emotionally not in-sync fusion we've seen.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 23, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Moltrey posted:

This may be a bit too much digging, but in Stronger Than You, Garnet said many times that her two was better than Jasper's one and having Garnet be wrong in her big finale moment would be silly and kinda undermine the whole point of the song I think.

Flying-PCP posted:

Opal had extra limbs. I think Jasper can't be a fusion, not because of the rules of the show's universe, but because of some basic rules of writing that the show has followed.

Yeah, this is it. It can be fun to try to pick apart the inner workings of the rules of the show's universe, especially since the staff seems to put a good deal of effort into making them consistent. But when it comes down to it, those rules aren't the most important thing and and they aren't the best way to actually try to make predictions or scry out hidden information from the show. A better thing to pay attention to is the writing and themes and characters.

(a good example is that one of the most basic premises of the show is a "reverse escapism" concept where a perfect amazing fantasy character falls in love with a down to earth normal human because he's not a magical amazing fantasy creature, and the things that make him great, and that she values about him, are all the non-fantasy, normal human, "flawed" aspects of him. all the theories about greg being an immortal caveman or whatever would fly right in the face of that, so regardless of the fact that there's little in-world "evidence" against it, it's still a nonsense theory)

Maybe sometimes you'll be able to find something by carefully looking at show details, like Garnet being a fusion, but the story still takes priority so if something there contradicts whatever theory you have, the story wins every time.

Bass Bottles posted:

It also fits with how crazy Malachite looked, because that was the most emotionally not in-sync fusion we've seen.

haha yeah, bitch didn't even have feet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bass Bottles posted:

I don't think Jasper is a fusion, but I like the idea that fusions become more "monstrous" when the gems who form them aren't emotionally in-sync.

It would explain how Garnet can be a fusion without extra arms or legs, and adds extra meaning to how excited she was by Steveonnie. She wasn't just excited to see Steven fuse like her, she was excited to see how in-sync Connie and Steven were.

Yea I use this too, more in sync emotions means a more harmonious fusion like Garnet being all zen and humanoid, you abuse a fusion thing and you wind up a big multi limb crazy monster like Malachite. Plus it works 'in universe' too since otherwise why wouldn't every Gem just fuse as soon as a fight got bad. It explains why Pearl and Amethyst were reluctant and why Stevonne and Garnet seemed so natural and normal.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
"jasper is a fusion" is a very Ronaldo speculation

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
But what if Ronaldo is a fusion?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Megaspel posted:

But what if Ronaldo is a fusion?

I've seen a lot of people who completely seriously believe that Garnet's Universe is foreshadowing that Ronaldo is going to fuse with Yellow Diamond and become the main villain.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't understand at the rational for Jasper being a fusion is/was. I mean, I understand one argument was that she hated fusion then really wanted to fuse after getting wrecked by Garnet, by why is being a fusion a better answer than Jasper just being a hypocrite?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

She only has one Gem. so shes singular. Garnet also called her single in the episode. Shes not a fusion.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Now stagger the speeds for stampede of Pearls. I'd do it myself but I'm lazy.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hihohe posted:

She only has one Gem. so shes singular. Garnet also called her single in the episode. Shes not a fusion.

Sure she is! Don't get hung up on these minor “facts”. Truth is about more than that, truth is a feeling in your gut that you know is true! Truth is searching for anything that proves you're right no matter how small, and holding on to that, no matter what.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fusion talk!
There was a continuity error when Garnet fused with Amethyst, both her gems remain red when they combine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6yfWRXBuB0

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pGu7La3ljk

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Who What Now posted:

I don't understand at the rational for Jasper being a fusion is/was. I mean, I understand one argument was that she hated fusion then really wanted to fuse after getting wrecked by Garnet, by why is being a fusion a better answer than Jasper just being a hypocrite?

While I don't think that Jasper is a fusion per se, one interesting point I've seen brought up is that while we know there can be multiples of a given gem (or at least, it's been heavily implied for both Pearl and Amethyst), we haven't seen what happens when the same gems fuse, or even what happens when gems with the same gem locations fuse (head, chest, stomach, etc). It's possible that Jasper is a self-loathing permafusion of some sort.

Also, Jasper is defined an aggregate of "microquartz and/or chalcedony". And Jasper didn't give a poo poo about anything until she realized that Rose Quartz might still be in play. How's that for :tinfoil:?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I want to admit something... I'm a fusion.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://youtu.be/JOvJUjWN1Bw
I dont even know

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Megaspel posted:

I want to admit something... I'm a fusion.

Greetings.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This has now become a horrifying image. A+

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Who What Now posted:

I know at least some people wanted it to be the "protest too much" thing where Jasper rails against fusion/homosexuality so much because she is secretly a fusion/homosexual herself and hates herself for it, like certain Christian preachers. But the show isn't going to play so loose with its metaphors just for a petty "take that!" when it's doing so well at combating these things already.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

I've seen a lot of people who completely seriously believe that Garnet's Universe is foreshadowing that Ronaldo is going to fuse with Yellow Diamond and become the main villain.

He won't do that, but Ronaldo is totally gonna get himself mixed up in gem business because he's just too dumb to know better. Seriously, him in the background collecting ship parts at the end of Full Disclosure is just a Chekhov's Gun waiting to be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
same jasper I am very angry at this alternate universe where not only did they get a good Legend of the Galactic Heroes novel, but it was somehow released in America.

• Locked thread