Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Oh goddammit. What's wrong with my shoes this time?

They're ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those are hiking/trail/whatever shoes who cares how it looks?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

They're ugly.

On that last page there's a pair of red, white and blue plaid what ever the fucks, some old school pumas that apparently can't be worn with "raw" denim for fear of jean stains, some beer puke colored sauconys and black sneakers that have been exposed to bees.

How do the safe as milk hikers I bought qualify as ugly? I promise you I won't be wearing them to weddings or any hipster jamborees. If those shoes should happen to fall victim to the scrutiny of the people at the supermarket, bike trail or auto parts store I will surely tell anybody that dislikes them to go gently caress themselves.

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004
People like different things. Wear the shoes you like, and invite everyone who doesn't like them to buy their own loving shoes.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

On that last page there's a pair of red, white and blue plaid what ever the fucks, some old school pumas that apparently can't be worn with "raw" denim for fear of jean stains, some beer puke colored sauconys and black sneakers that have been exposed to bees.

How do the safe as milk hikers I bought qualify as ugly? I promise you I won't be wearing them to weddings or any hipster jamborees. If those shoes should happen to fall victim to the scrutiny of the people at the supermarket, bike trail or auto parts store I will surely tell anybody that dislikes them to go gently caress themselves.

They didn't call attention to their ugly shoes.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Anybody that posts about their new shoes, or any other thing they've bought is calling attention to that thing. Its kind of what this thread is all about. Twice now I've posted my new shoes and twice I've been told my shoes suck. I don't think my shoes suck. Actually, my shoes probably do suck if you're used to Italian OJ Simpson murder shoes or some sort of neon nightmare sneaker that these crazy kids are wearing these days. I will take a photo of every shoe I own and put it on here so you can all tell me how much I suck. Because I pretty much do suck when it comes to shoes apparently.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm here for you Grumbletron. I'll take some of the steam off of your unpopular shoes.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Thanks for the solidarity. Here are my horrible legs with my ugly shoes on the ends of them. Your legs are nice but those shoes are sort of silly.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Anybody that posts about their new shoes, or any other thing they've bought is calling attention to that thing. Its kind of what this thread is all about. Twice now I've posted my new shoes and twice I've been told my shoes suck. I don't think my shoes suck. Actually, my shoes probably do suck if you're used to Italian OJ Simpson murder shoes or some sort of neon nightmare sneaker that these crazy kids are wearing these days. I will take a photo of every shoe I own and put it on here so you can all tell me how much I suck. Because I pretty much do suck when it comes to shoes apparently.

There's nothing wrong with picking function over form if you actually need good hiking shoes for hiking or some poo poo. But if you wear them casually it's gonna look ugly as sin.

Also, my nightmare sneakers are awesome :colbert:

Edit:

Pick posted:

I'm here for you Grumbletron. I'll take some of the steam off of your unpopular shoes.

:vince:

QuasiQuack has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Mar 22, 2015

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Pick posted:

Dang! Looks like a failed level of that japanese flash game where you knock the heels out of women's shoes. How are they to walk in?

To contribute:

So comfy. And they don't give me mean cankles, as many ankle boots tend to do. And they were so cheap!

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

SpartanIV posted:

edit: Also pre-oredered this

This thing is nuts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

edit: Also pre-oredered this

Does this actually act as different credit cards or is it just a normal credit card with a service that debits the account of your choice every time it's charged? If the latter, I don't see the whole point of having it be a fancy device with a screen and battery, and if the former it's going to end up turning into latter once the switchover to EMV happens in less than a year (it won't be able to copy other cards' chips).

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

beato posted:

This thing is nuts.

It does seem a little crazy. Wondering what the downsides are.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Although that thing might not be the future it sure looks like the future.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

If your hiking shoes aren't ugly as gently caress they're probably insanely uncomfortable.

But realtalk thanks for the meltdown

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

mystes posted:

Does this actually act as different credit cards or is it just a normal credit card with a service that debits the account of your choice every time it's charged? If the latter, I don't see the whole point of having it be a fancy device with a screen and battery, and if the former it's going to end up turning into latter once the switchover to EMV happens in less than a year (it won't be able to copy other cards' chips).

Supposedly the first. It's kind of up in the air if it'll turn out like coin though, so I may be throwing money away. Hopefully it lives up to its promises.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Pick posted:

dude what monsters did you have to hunt for those

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Thanks for the solidarity. Here are my horrible legs with my ugly shoes on the ends of them. Your legs are nice but those shoes are sort of silly.

I've got some of those, I call them my 'doing shoes' because I do poo poo in them, like walking and wotnot

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I'll play shoe chat.

I also bought

and

to go with them.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I just signed a lease in San Diego (and spent a ton doing so)!

I'm a bit nervous because it's a tad smaller than our current place and I don't know many people in SD, but I'm stoked to be saving over $400/mo over my rent in the Bay Area and I'm excited to never have to ride BART again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I just signed a lease in San Diego (and spent a ton doing so)!

I'm a bit nervous because it's a tad smaller than our current place and I don't know many people in SD, but I'm stoked to be saving over $400/mo over my rent in the Bay Area and I'm excited to never have to ride BART again.

What are the pipes running below the ceiling? Sprinklers?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Those would be sprinklers, yes.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

NotAnArtist posted:

Those would be sprinklers, yes.

Yeah, just in case of fire.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK :tipshat:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Looks lile you've got a ton of windows, which would be awesome unless it's western facing in which case I hope you've got AC or really good fans

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Bottle opener made from a crocodiles foot.

Can't say I'm a fan of those but whatever, there are plenty of crocodiles I guess.

I like buying coats at the end of winter/start of spring because there are pretty good deals.

From Amazon, fits really well but you have to pay attention to the sizing (I wear L/XL but for this I had to buy XXL)

From a recent Woot deal, super warm and I like the texturing of the exterior.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PaganGoatPants posted:

It does seem a little crazy. Wondering what the downsides are.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/12/coin-wocket-plastc-the-all-in-one-cards-trying-to-sprint-ahead-of-apple-pay/

I am sorry, but I don't believe they have the technology to make a magstripe rewritable by the card itself.
EDIT: I stand corrected:
http://www.cnet.com/news/smart-credit-cards-get-closer-to-consumers-wallets/

And what you are presenting for payment doesn't have any of the Visa/Mastercard securitt features on it - including the signature panel or hologram.

And I will bet my PIN that it will not be able to handle chip and PIN EMV.

spog has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Mar 22, 2015

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SpartanIV posted:

PYF Recent Purchases: Oh goddammit. What's wrong with my shoes this time?

Seconded.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

NotAnArtist posted:

Looks lile you've got a ton of windows, which would be awesome unless it's western facing in which case I hope you've got AC or really good fans

The majority of the windows face North (and the trolley). The ones on the far side face East.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Society6 is having a free shipping sale, so I decided to get something.

Nerdy as hell, but looks nice (and femshep best shep).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/12/coin-wocket-plastc-the-all-in-one-cards-trying-to-sprint-ahead-of-apple-pay/

I am sorry, but I don't believe they have the technology to make a magstripe rewritable by the card itself.
EDIT: I stand corrected:
http://www.cnet.com/news/smart-credit-cards-get-closer-to-consumers-wallets/

And what you are presenting for payment doesn't have any of the Visa/Mastercard securitt features on it - including the signature panel or hologram.

And I will bet my PIN that it will not be able to handle chip and PIN EMV.

Except it's designed to handle contactless and chip and PIN.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Wait, the US still doesn't have chip and pin? :psyduck:

On topic, my purchases for today:

Total spent: £3 - and I won't have to buy dog treats again for quite a while!

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Mar 22, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Nettle Soup posted:

Wait, the US still doesn't have chip and pin? :psyduck:

And probably won't anytime soon. We're slooooowly moving to chip and signature.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aristophanes posted:

Dang! Looks like a failed level of that japanese flash game where you knock the heels out of women's shoes. How are they to walk in?

They're not the worst I've ever walked in, but the front section is curved and therefore doesn't completely contact the ground. Only that square formed by the heel and one line of contact on the front touch the ground at any time, meaning your footprints look like this: ☐ |

If someone were uncomfortable in heels, they'd loving kill themselves.

The worst heels I ever wore were these:

Mostly because they're completely hard plastic, and therefore you get shoved downward "into" the shoe. When you step, the friction pulls on your skin and the abrasion eventually cases blisters and tears. I made it one hour. My mother (the owner of said shoes) once went for eight hours at a party, mostly standing. I have no idea.

Pick has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Mar 22, 2015

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

NotAnArtist posted:

I hope you've got AC or really good fans

That's what the sprinklers are for.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pick posted:

They're not the worst I've ever walked in, but the front section is curved and therefore doesn't completely contact the ground. Only that square formed by the heel and one line of contact on the front touch the ground at any time, meaning your footprints look like this: ☐ |

If someone were uncomfortable in heels, they'd loving kill themselves.

The worst heels I ever wore were these:

Mostly because they're completely hard plastic, and therefore you get shoved downward "into" the shoe. When you step, the friction pulls on your skin and the abrasion eventually cases blisters and tears. I made it one hour. My mother (the owner of said shoes) once went for eight hours at a party, mostly standing. I have no idea.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

overdesigned posted:

And probably won't anytime soon. We're slooooowly moving to chip and signature.

Chip and Pin is required by law sometime later this year.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

Chip and Pin is required by law sometime later this year.

Only for fed issued cards / terminals . Rest assured retailers will drag their feet for years.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'll play shoe chat.

I also bought

and

to go with them.

Hey man was it hard getting into the cobra commander army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard